Mac OS X 10.6 to show at Apple developer event? Chould it be so soon?

^_^

27 posts in this topic

Read it here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06...op_powerpc.html

Come to think of it, it is not soon at all, OSX development was almost like year, year half circle.

But maybe it's because of my late adoptence of leopard make it seems like yesterday.

What do you think?

Update:

Rumor: Mac OS X 10.5.4 to be released 2nd week in June?

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/05/rumor-mac-os-x-10-5-4-to-be-released-2nd-week-in-june/

What's going on?

if they drop 32bit wholesale, me and my CD Macbook will be so incredibly pissed off..... I seriously doubt it though. Minimum specs for Lynx/Cougar will most likely be a 1.5GHz G4 with 1GB of RAM. Heres hoping for that release schedule though!

Glad to see PPC and Core Duos go. Apple could do some really cool stuff with their OS and software if they were 64-bit Intel exclusive. I guess no 32-bit means Carbon is getting completely removed from the OS.

apple will not move kernel to 64-bit, it will make a lot of troubles with drivers.

Maybe for us. If they do move to only 64-bit, how many drivers would they have to rewrite? Half a dozen?

Glad to see PPC and Core Duos go. Apple could do some really cool stuff with their OS and software if they were 64-bit Intel exclusive. I guess no 32-bit means Carbon is getting completely removed from the OS.
IMO they're not gonna do this. Maybe for 10.7 but 10.6 is too soon. Everyone who bought a Core Duo Mac or a G5 Quad will be incensed...

Final Cut, Logic, iTunes and Adobe Creative Suite are all Carbon apps.

Maybe for us. If they do move to only 64-bit, how many drivers would they have to rewrite? Half a dozen?

absolutely all, All current kexts r 32-bit .

absolutely all, All current kexts r 32-bit .

What I'm saying is, not even half of them would have to be rewritten if Apple removed all legacy support. Probably less than a third would still be relevant if you removed PPC, 32-bit Intel, and all the legacy application support.

IMO they're not gonna do this. Maybe for 10.7 but 10.6 is too soon. Everyone who bought a Core Duo Mac or a G5 Quad will be incensed...

They've done crazier stuff. Like rewriting their entire OS an a Unix foundation and blowing away all the legacy junk.

Final Cut, Logic, iTunes and Adobe Creative Suite are all Carbon apps.

For now. Adobe CS 4 is the last Carbon iteration of Adobe software, and Apple could easily rewrite their simpler software in Cocoa. FC and Logic would have to be rewritten, but it can be done. It's bound to happen sooner or later, since Apple has made it clear Carbon is going the way of the dinosaur.

Still, that radical of changes seems more like OS 11 material, and not another OS X refresh.

I feel bad for someone with a G5 Quad....Well this is just going to be a minor update, for speed and stability. Looks like PPC users are gonna be stuck with Leopard...kinda sucks...but you can still get a lot done in Leopard so it's not the end of the world.I can't wait for WWDC to see what new features there will be. Maybe resolution independence or ZFS...drool...

I feel bad for G5 users. :D
I feel bad for someone with a G5 Quad. :(

...Well this is just going to be a minor update, for speed and stability. Looks like PPC users are gonna be stuck with Leopard...kinda sucks...but you can still get a lot done in Leopard so it's not the end of the world.

On a random note: I just remembered, Leopard is certified UNIX, but only on Intel architectures...Mac is moving away from PPC...

They've done crazier stuff. Like rewriting their entire OS an a Unix foundation and blowing away all the legacy junk.

But OS X was still able to run on the same hardware right? It didn't make systems that are only 2-3 years old obsolete. (I could be wrong on this though)