AHCI Fix After 10.5.3 update

jivhg

80 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I have this working. It requires more than AHCI so I made a zip archive of the fix.

Just put these in the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and execute these commands in terminal/single user mode

sudo -s

chown root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext /System/Library/Extensions/iTunesPhoneDriver.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext /System/Library/Extensions/iTunesPhoneDriver.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext

Also, you will need to boot with -f

Kexts made my osX86 Turk team with IOKItPersonalities mods on AppleAHCIPort.kext by me.

What does the "boot with -f" do and do I need to do that everytime I boot leopard?

I'm wondering if the reason it crashed your system when you added the previous string info to the new one is perhaps it was referencing a secondary file which helped use that particular chipset.

I'm wondering this because I'm thinking about doing this myself, with the ICH9R string info, but don't want to have to deal with that breaking my install. When you fixed after it crashed during boot, did you boot in safe mode? did that allow you to replace the kext with the original?

Hmm. Thinking out loud here, but maybe that JMicron AHCI string is what's to blame for the people who have had IDE trouble. Maybe without it it'd see the JMicron controller as generic and not crash.

That being said, is there any conceivable reason that adding the correct string for the ICH9R chipset on my mobo to the AppleAHCIPort.kext file will give me grief, as long as I check to make sure it's the right number?

Hi all

I'm having same problem as GingerPrince. Stillwaiting for root device. Tried replacing files with Jivers but no go stops at [jmicronATA] ULTRA mode 5 and says still waiting for root device. Tried disabling on board ide controller in bios then gets to something about firewire and then still waiting etc. Can anyone suggest a fix. How do you know what string you need to add? cheers

ok, I got bored, and pasted the ICH9RAHCI and RAID strings into the info.plist from 10.5.3, and lo and behold, System Profiler recognizes my Intel ICH-R AHCI SATA controller!!! weee! I wonder if a BIOS raid would recognize now.... hmmmmmmm. things to ponder. things to ponder indeed. ('course, what I'm really pondering is "do I want to spend $400 on hard drives so I can find out?")

off to test fun fun things like sleep restart and shutdown.

----and I'm back. Shutdown no workie, just like before. Restart works fine. System Profiler now says I have a mac pro 3,1 in addition to recognizing my chipset. My security settings (require password on wake from sleep or screensaver) no longer work, whereas they WERE working when it was a generic AHCI in system profiler. hmmm. weird, but not essential. Things overall seem faster, snappier. My Geekbench score went up SLIGHTLY. My Xbench score did as well. Guess I'll live with the password thing.

Another vote for Jiver's solution:

I am on a gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P board with Intel AHCI9R with AHCI switched on, worked beautifully with 10.5.2., followed Kalyway's steps to 10.5.3 and was stuk with the "waiting for root device". This is what i did to get it working again:

put the jiver kexts on a usb stick, booted from kalyway 10.5.1 install dvd and run terminal. In here i went to my internal HD and moved the 4 kexts to ...kext.old, then i copied the stuff from the usb to the system/library/extensions directory, did the chmod -R 755 thingy, went in to the kext and removed ._* files (dunno where that came from, probably cause of the USB stick filesystem), while at it also removed extensions.mkext in system/library, closed terminal and ran disk utility to do another "repair permissions', and then rebooted with -f -v ... which didn't help. Booting was now stuck at "jnl unkonw device" (something like that - forgot to write it down), tried normal boot which takes ages and probably is just stuck at the same stage. Then, i dunno why, i did another reboot now with update -v, and guess what ... it continued, immediately rebooted automatically and now i am in business again.

About this mac states "10.5.3", and the kernel is shown as 9.3. So, that is promising. Did already an online software update (logic pro) and that went smoothly, and timemachine was able to do a backup. The only thing still (but that was already with 10.5.2) is that shutdown most of the time doesn't work, and that the screensaver sometimes works, and sometimes not (50% change).

so my advice (well for people with similar mainboard and HDs attached to the intel SATA ports) is following kalyway's instructions, then Jiver's instructions and then do "update -v" as boot option but without the quotes (-v is just verbose mode so that you can see what happens during boot).

Cheers.

Jiver, where did your kexts come from?

I got mine (ICH8R) working using 10.5.2 AppleAHCIPort.kext, which carry a 2007 date in the info.plist

Yours carry a 2006 date.

Are they Tiger kexts?

No, leopard, all taken from iAtkos v2.0.

Just take my files, put them in the extensions folder, repair permissions. Delete Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/

And all set.

Yep, I could do that. But why don't the 10.5.3 kexts work? It all worked perfectly at 10.5.2. All I did there was poke my PCI Dev ID into AHCIPort. They seem to work for other people running ICH9R. I don't have the JMicron controller enabled btw, everything is SATA.

surely the 10.5.3 kexts have improvements/bug fixes that it would be good to have?

The AHCI fix doesn't work for my system - I have a ASUS P5B mb / ICH8R / JMicron SATA controller / iAtkos v1.0i updated to 10.5.2 using netkas's method.

I tried all the methods that I've could think of - netkas method (the same as for 10.5.2), the fix from Jiver, JaS's 10.5.3 update - all lead to the same result: "Still waiting for root device"

There's only one small hope - the Kalyway 10.5.3 update. But I think there are small chances it will work.

Any recommendations from the more advanced and/or more luckier users?

Thanks!

all in one i must say i had more bugs in 10.5.3 than in any other version, i think it is safe to say we need to wait for some devs to sort out all the problems on this update.

This versions has a lot of bugs, and to update just for the need of upgrading is just ment to get you into more trouble than it is worth it. Convinced myself once more when i upgraded and than it suddenly stopped working ( no reasons ..),( even with the ahci all working fine)

IF IT's NOT BROKE Don't FIX IT! 10.5.2 has all the fixes you need !

Edit : i've read that 10.5.4 will be available before the wwdc'08 next week ! (they seem to wanna fix those bugs ... hehe). On a similar point, 10.6 will be seeded to the developers real soon it seems ... ;)

Hey Folks,

I had Iatkos 1.0 + Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update system running very smooth and trying to upgrade my config to 10.5.3. I have tried several methods inc. Netkas / Kalyway Combo update / JAS Combo Update / directly downloaded Combo update from Apple and also tried it . I havent success due to famous AHCI error in darwin.

The problem is I can not put back my backup kexts after installation; finder booms itself and icons starts blinking even though I can not sudo -s in terminal as it doesnt accept my password than Shut down your computer message hits the screen.

Can anyone advice about what to do next? Is there anyway to block extensions installation during 10.5.3 update?

Thx for the further advices.

Trance2007

The AHCI fix doesn't work for my system - I have a ASUS P5B mb / ICH8R / JMicron SATA controller / iAtkos v1.0i updated to 10.5.2 using netkas's method.

I tried all the methods that I've could think of - netkas method (the same as for 10.5.2), the fix from Jiver, JaS's 10.5.3 update - all lead to the same result: "Still waiting for root device"

There's only one small hope - the Kalyway 10.5.3 update. But I think there are small chances it will work.

Any recommendations from the more advanced and/or more luckier users?

Thanks!

This is what I did to update to 10.5.3

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=762068

Briefly, I took the working 10.5.2 AppleAHCIPort.kext (to which I had added device IDs to enable ICH8R) and deleted all the device IDs except the ones for ICH8R (which is the support I need to boot and avoid waiting for root device.) I then renamed that kext ICH8R.kext, so it would not be overwritten by this or future updates.

The 10.5.3 AppleAHCIPort.kext does not load due to no matching device ids, but the 10.5.2 one does (its renamed to ICH8R.kext) and the system works fine.

I have disabled sleep, so I can't speak to whether it works.

This is what I did to update to 10.5.3

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=762068

Briefly, I took the working 10.5.2 AppleAHCIPort.kext (to which I had added device IDs to enable ICH8R) and deleted all the device IDs except the ones for ICH8R (which is the support I need to boot and avoid waiting for root device.) I then renamed that kext ICH8R.kext, so it would not be overwritten by this or future updates.

The 10.5.3 AppleAHCIPort.kext does not load due to no matching device ids, but the 10.5.2 one does (its renamed to ICH8R.kext) and the system works fine.

I have disabled sleep, so I can't speak to whether it works.

Thank you for your reply, wmarsh!

Can you please tell me what is the device IDs which need to be added to enable ICH8R? Even better... can you attach the working ICH8R.kext file? (maybe put it on MediaFire or some other online storage site).

Thanks!

Well don't reboot your system when it is done updating, b4 you reboot, install the kext file back!

I dont reboot the system tou... Trying to install kext files b4 reboot. And the result is :

finder booms itself and icons starts blinking even though I can not sudo -s in terminal as it doesnt accept my password than Shut down your computer message hits the screen.

Thank you for your reply, wmarsh!

Can you please tell me what is the device IDs which need to be added to enable ICH8R? Even better... can you attach the working ICH8R.kext file? (maybe put it on MediaFire or some other online storage site).

Thanks!

I posted directions back for 10.5.1

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=511085

The only things I did differently: I used the 10.5.2 AppleAHCIPort.kext, I deleted the other similiar sections and only left in the one for ICH8R, and I renamed the kext "ICH8R.kext"

I think forum rules prohibit posting Apple copywrited material, so you will need to modify your own file. Its not very hard.

I finally did it! I describe what I did, hope this helps somebody else.

In few words, I followed the Jiver instructions (+ delete Extensions.mkext), but at the first reboot I did a "update -v", then a "-f -v" and I got my Leo working again!

In more detail... My system is:

- Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with southbridge ICH8

- 2HD SATA, the Mac one connected to the purple port and AHCI on

- Ati X1950XT

I was on a 10.5 ToH RC2 + 10.5.2 Kalyway and Vanilla kernel, I tried to apply the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo update + 9.3 kernel but after rebooting obviously I got a "waiting for boot device". I restored my system using Time Machine, but none of the Apple apps worked, i.e., Safari crashed, Firefox was OK...

One I found this thread, and after many Time Machine recoveries and updates, here is the successful procedure:

- I got the Jiver files 'as is' and decompressed somewhere

- Installed again Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo update + 9.3 kernel on my 'not so working 10.5.2'

- After doing that, I couldn't install the Jiver files before rebooting because the system didn't recognize my password. Hence, I rebooted and started a new Leopard installation, open a terminal and installed Jiver files as described in his first post. I also deleted Extensions.mkext, not mentioned in his first post (but only somewhere else)

- Then reboot and started OSX with "-f -v", but start-up stopped

- I rebooted again into OSX, this time with the option "update -v": after some updating, the system reboot automatically (as normal Macs do after a major update...)

- Finally, I started again with "-f -v" and here I am!

Now, I just have to get QE working again...

The problem seems to be in the IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext located in the plugins folder in IOAHCIFamily.kext. Changing the device ID's in AppleAHCIPort.kext alone doesn't work (get a type mismatch or couldn't load BlockStorage error at boot). However using the IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext from 10.5.2 does the trick. Perhaps it's a matter of entering the ID's into the info.plist for this kext in order to make it all work in 10.5.3 ...

Cheers ...

The problem seems to be in the IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext located in the plugins folder in IOAHCIFamily.kext. Changing the device ID's in AppleAHCIPort.kext alone doesn't work (get a type mismatch or couldn't load BlockStorage error at boot). However using the IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext from 10.5.2 does the trick. Perhaps it's a matter of entering the ID's into the info.plist for this kext in order to make it all work in 10.5.3 ...

Have a look in my diff file on the first page :D

I have just updated with the Kalyway_10.5.3_Combo and all seemed to go ok. I have lost my wireless adapter but that can probably be resotred from backup kexts. I am not sure I have a problem with my AHCI enabled hard drive. It boots ok but the icons of my hard drive partitions on the desktop are now orange, does that mean anything is not right and do I need to apply the fixes in this thread?

ran the fixes and successfully boots. But keep getting

System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with this update -

1) Though AHCI seems to work (listed as Generic AHCI in System Profiler), after a couple of reboots it stops working. Sleep mode will give me a black screen, with my computer still running and not responding to input.

2) It breaks my USB - I can't use USB hard drives anymore, though nothing has changed in the USB section of Profiler.

It could be that sleep stops working once I've plugged in a USB device - ie it's unable to power down USB block devices so it hangs on that step. Or maybe these .kexts replace something I needed for USB block devices. In order to get them working in the first place, I had followed this thread on 10.5.2.

GA-965P-DS3

WD Hard Drive

Kalyway 10.5.2 + Kalyway 10.5.3 update

So in a nutshell - has anyone with the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo gotten 10.5.3 to work with both USB block devices AND S3 sleep?

Thanks in advance for the help.