ATI Radeon HD pkg installers 10.5.x & 10.6

lastExile

2,380 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm fairly new to the board, I believe this is my first post, however I've been browsing around for a while now.

I started out with Leo4All v3 (OS X 10.5.2), patched for JMicron. Updated manually to 10.5.3 and auto-updated to 10.5.4. Running EFIv8 with vanilla kernel and dual boot with Vista 64-bit.

In 10.5.2, the driver posted in this topic for Radeon HD3850 worked brilliantly. However, since 10.5.3 it doesn't. The screen is blue with cursor, waiting for it to go on standby doesn't show me the desktop.

Now I've tried the 10.5.5 driver pack (from nvinstaller.com) but this gives me a garbled screen.

Is there a proper way to fix it yet? All I can do now is boot to safe mode and that sucks ;)

I saw a post about changing something from Lamna to Triakis, but I have no clue what to do...

Oh, specs:

Core 2 Duo E7200, Asus P5B-Plus Vista Edition, 2 GB DDR, Sapphire Radeon HD3850 512MB PCI-E.

edit: Just found the XDarwin graphics driver pack, will try that now :)

edit2: XDarwin completely breaks the GUI. On regular boot, the grey screen with Apple logo doesn't go away. With -v I see that the login screen is started, the OS doesn't crash (I get logging when I plug in a USB stick) so it's just the GUI. Safe mode (-x) doesn't work anymore either ;)

so 10.5.3 update just releeased so here are the updated kexts and so on for the whole Radeon HD series

what needs to be reported back is for 2400 users,2600 and 3650 users for what works and what doesnt

report back on the installers how they work and so on !

ATI Radeon HD 2600pro PciE

Device ID: 9589

Download

I don't know if you're still looking for feedback from everybody, but I figured I'd add my successful experience here.

This is the card I bought:

SAPPHIRE 1014L Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB(256MB on board) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102765

It was $34.99 with $6.99 for Shipping and Handling

Unfortunately, I literally must have gotten the last one in the bin because this item is now "deactivated", meaning that NewEgg doesn't sell it anymore :)

I installed it into a Dell 530 running OSX 10.5.2 that was installed from a Kalyway DVD. I ran the installer linked above for the PCIe card and it worked like a dream.

Below is a copy/paste of the info from System Profiler after I hooked two monitors up.

Thanks a ton for the installers here. Made using this card uber-easy for me! :(

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT:

Chipset Model:	ATI Radeon HD 2600
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x9589
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 ROM Revision:	113-B1480A-236
 EFI Driver Version:	01.00.236
 Displays:
CMC 17" AD:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported
CMC 22 W:
 Resolution:	1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported

Hello, I am planning on buying a 2600xt 256mb

Does anyone know if sleep/shutdown etc works fully with this?

Yeah , i had one with GDD3 256 MB. Very compatible , all working. Cool and not much noise.

The PRO (GDDR2) Version needs more work and is much slower than XT GDDR3 !

I would avoid PRO and add a bit bucks/euros for an XT version. XT version with GDDR4 is fastest but also high priced - you would get near price of

3850 (which needs also some more work).

ATI 2400 pro full working QE/CI all res on vga with the second installer (2d page of this topic)

Thanxs to LastExile and Netkas for this wondefull and simple installer ! ;)

I still have an issue... when the monitor goes back from sleep, I've got the " :) stuff"

:glare: I'm feeling down ! first, I need to change my audio card and now this... enough for tonite

Will search how to fix it tomorrow... except if anybody got a solution to solve this problem...

HW spec:

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2300

AMD690 chipset mother board (Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2)

ATI Radeon HD 2600 (ID 0x9589)PCIe 256 Mb

SW:

iDeneb 10.5.4 v 1.1

Package for HD2600 PRO

ROM: 113-B1480A-236

EFI driver: 01.00.236

Problem: still no Quartz Extreme/Core Image support :)

What can i do to have QE/CI?

My Sapphire HD 3870 Toxic Edition works with your driver package QE/CI - Thank you - Awesome

Unfortunately my Gigabyte HD 2400XT 256mb DDR2

Bus: PCIe

PCIe: x16

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x94c1

Does not work with either the 2400XT driver or the general HD driver.

When I use them I either get no QE/CI and hardware not recognized (just normal stuck at 1024x768) or scrambled screen upon boot

My 3870 blew up so thats why Im using the 2400XT - Hope to get it back asap

Hi lastExile

I have an Sapphire Ati HD3650 AGP graphics card, i've tried to install your driver.

I know that atm there is no agp support for this card, but if u want I can test.

After your driver install i added the dev id of my card to the ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

repaired extensions etc.

After reboot in normal mode the graphical part started but it becomes completely frozen.

reboot in safe mode works fine, i can change resolution and so on.

Here is the spec of the card from profiler:

ATI Radeon HD 3600:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 3600

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9596

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-236

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.236

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

Please let me know how can I help you to get this card work.

My Sapphire HD 3870 Toxic Edition works with your driver package QE/CI - Thank you - Awesome

Hi irontony, can you explain in more detail what you did to make the 3870 work ?

I tried the installer on kalyway 10.5.2 with a gigabyte HD3870 512MB and all I get is the grey screen of death after the grey apple logo. the safe mode doesn't work anymore either. before the instalation it used to display scrambled disco screen on normal boot.

is there a solution for this ?

thanks

Hi irontony, can you explain in more detail what you did to make the 3870 work ?

I tried the installer on kalyway 10.5.2 with a gigabyte HD3870 512MB and all I get is the grey screen of death after the grey apple logo. the safe mode doesn't work anymore either. before the instalation it used to display scrambled disco screen on normal boot.

is there a solution for this ?

thanks

Hi - I did a clean install via Boot-132 with Retail DVD (either 10.5.0 or 10.5.4) booted with "safe graphics mode" it did this by default and I installed the driver from the first page here

ATI Radeon HD 3870

Device ID:9501

http://www.mediafire.com/?w1bbkvzpujt

Rebooted and everything worked! Simple & Easy (at least for my Sapphire Toxic card)

If I was you I would probably not include any ATI drivers during install of Kalyway. Or if you can, have a small leopard partition that does work for diagnostic purposes then have another proper leopard partition and install your proper leo install via terminal from your small partition and before booting into it apply the driver above. I honestly cant say it'll work as osx86 isnt a pure science like some people say, everything people have advised me to help me out have all failed. So at the moment I'm stuck with a GRUB Boot132 CD startup sequence and cannot get boot from HD to work. Thanks to ZOKA who recommended GRUB BOOT132 as all other Hacked Discos and Boot132 cds all failed for my setup.

All other 3870 installs failed me - garbled scrambled screens and dead bootups

I still cant get my gigabyte 2400XT to work or be recognized - grrr so my 23" screen is useless at the moment and half my apps dont function.

Thnx...lastExile realy thnx....

i have RADEON HD 2400 pro pcie

i've tried couple of installations(kext) natit,triakis....

tried tooooo many ways....but the only it did.....to have a bigger resolution....(no CI/QE)

i deleted my ati kext....and installed again by your package (page 2) with pacifistic...

rebooted...and EVERYTHING WAS FINE.....i didn't even added my device id on info.plist on atikext

i believe all of us thnx you for your work

Rebooted and everything worked! Simple & Easy (at least for my Sapphire Toxic card)

At the moment I got it working using triakis version of natit (if this is right way of describing it). None of the other natit versions or even the pkg installers did any good even thou I installed kalyway without graphic drivers in the first place as you also suggested.

At the moment I got it working using triakis version of natit (if this is right way of describing it). None of the other natit versions or even the pkg installers did any good even thou I installed kalyway without graphic drivers in the first place as you also suggested.

Thats awesome to hear. Im really happy you got it working as I know how frustrating it is when its not workng.

May I ask which Gigabyte 3870 you have? They have some crazy serial like GV-RX387512HP or GV-RX387512H

My Sapphire is currently dead and my temporary 2400XT will not work with any kext or installer here... So I may have to get your same Gigabyte version. I could never get the temperatures while in OSX, do you know how hot your card gets?

Cheers

My Sapphire is currently dead -..

Cheers

Whats happen ? Do you know why dead?

Do you think some overheating ? I use an Articcooling S1 (big no-fan cooler) with slow running 120mm fan on it.

Fan is controlled not by the card, external temp controller (you can also use 7 V cable modd)

Thats awesome to hear. Im really happy you got it working as I know how frustrating it is when its not workng.

May I ask which Gigabyte 3870 you have? They have some crazy serial like GV-RX387512HP or GV-RX387512H

My Sapphire is currently dead and my temporary 2400XT will not work with any kext or installer here... So I may have to get your same Gigabyte version. I could never get the temperatures while in OSX, do you know how hot your card gets?

Cheers

the card model is RX387512HP as for how hot it gets I have no ideea how to measure it in osx but on windows the temp is around 38C at idle and 70C at full load.

Whats happen ? Do you know why dead?

Do you think some overheating ? I use an Articcooling S1 (big no-fan cooler) with slow running 120mm fan on it.

Fan is controlled not by the card, external temp controller (you can also use 7 V cable modd)

Not sure to be honest.

I was web browsing then all of a sudden my screen went black and the fan on the 3870 went crazy - blowing at full speed.

I turned everything off and unplugged from the wall for 15mins

Tried again but as soon as I press the power button the fan goes full speed and the screen remains black still.

I have sent it off, no idea how long it'll take.

Testing a 2400XT tells me the PCIE slot is ok, but I cant get QE/CI or all resolutions working.