ATI Radeon HD pkg installers 10.5.x & 10.6

lastExile

2,380 posts in this topic

I use the ideneb 10.5.4 release, and use a asus 3650 silent card, I,ve tried lastExile's 2 drivers and well as the driver in ideneb, I cant boot into normal mode, i can only boot into -x , though after installing the 10.5.x - 10.5.5 package, its actully boots in -x at 1920 - 1200 res, so it seems they did something, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an ASUS EAH3650 Silent (ATI Radeon HD 3650) that I'm using in my desktop rig around an ASUS P5B Deluxe and a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.

Starting from a fresh Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD install, the only driver I can get it working is the one that LastExile published in post #33 asking for feedback.

I need feedback on this installer for 2400,3850,3650 and 3870x2 users

Download[/b]

Updating to 10.5.3 with the Kalyway Combo Update doesn't affect the functionality of the video card. Still great.

Next step is to upgrade to 10.5.4 and it seems to work but I get the white menus bug. I can get rid of then by reinstalling the 3650 drivers with Pacifist.

But if go up to 10.5.5, I can't enter the system. I'm stuck in a blue screen either with a mouse pointer or with a rainbow disc, but can't go further.

If I enter in safe mode with -x at Darwin I get full resolution (I'm using 20" Dell monitor with 1680x1050)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm setting up the base system after starting with the rest of the apps.

I selected this card because I'm used to ATI products, I need HD hardware decoding and passive cooling and this one is great, but if it's not going to be fully supported I can send it back to the shop and replace for another one.

¿Which one do you think will be more compatible with my requirements? I'm not a gamer but an HD enthusiast.

Excellent work lastExile!!!.

I have a Sony VAIO FW170 with Intel GMA X4500MHD. I know there is full support for X3100. Since I don't think there is support for X4500MHD, I'm planning to get Dell Studio 15 or Dell Studio 17 or Dell Latitude E6500 notebook. The Dell Studio 15 has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450, Dell Studio 17 has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 and Dell Latitude E6500 has NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M. I'm a newbie here and wanted to get full hardware acceleration, QE and CI on any of these GPUs. I don't play much games but just wanted to get ATI/Nvidia as I wanted to get a dedicated GPU for all my video editing work.

I would have missed something. Is there already a fix available for either of the mentioned GPUs? I will be running Leopard 10.5.2 ~ 10.5.5.

Please help me.

Thanks.

This will also terribly influence my buying decision. I'm actually curious on the reply.

Thanks again.

I have an ASUS EAH3650 Silent (ATI Radeon HD 3650) that I'm using in my desktop rig around an ASUS P5B Deluxe and a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.

Starting from a fresh Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD install, the only driver I can get it working is the one that LastExile published in post #33 asking for feedback.

Updating to 10.5.3 with the Kalyway Combo Update doesn't affect the functionality of the video card. Still great.

Next step is to upgrade to 10.5.4 and it seems to work but I get the white menus bug. I can get rid of then by reinstalling the 3650 drivers with Pacifist.

But if go up to 10.5.5, I can't enter the system. I'm stuck in a blue screen either with a mouse pointer or with a rainbow disc, but can't go further.

If I enter in safe mode with -x at Darwin I get full resolution (I'm using 20" Dell monitor with 1680x1050)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm setting up the base system after starting with the rest of the apps.

I selected this card because I'm used to ATI products, I need HD hardware decoding and passive cooling and this one is great, but if it's not going to be fully supported I can send it back to the shop and replace for another one.

¿Which one do you think will be more compatible with my requirements? I'm not a gamer but an HD enthusiast.

I too have this problem

@wwwsn00per and spacekebab

As per earlier in this thread, a workaround for the blue screen with mouse on boot is to let your monitor go into standby. Once woken, you will be fine with full resolution, plus QE/CI.

Set your monitor shutdown to 1 minute and leave your mouse alone on boot.

It worked for me and others with Asus HD3650. It's not pretty, but it works for me.

coreyinoz

@lastExile,

first i must say great job and great support for the Customers.

One question.

I want to help a little.

I have GPU HD3870x2 its not working with 10.5.5

also not with your drivers.

If you let me know what i must change on the driver i can check and i will

check and change maybe it is working.

Please let me know what files i must change.

Areandres

As per earlier in this thread, a workaround for the blue screen with mouse on boot is to let your monitor go into standby. Once woken, you will be fine with full resolution, plus QE/CI.

It worked for me and others with Asus HD3650. It's not pretty, but it works for me.

coreyinoz

that might work but my 3650 refuses to go into sleep.

Finally I've got my ASUS EAH3650 Silent working :rolleyes:

23tqfci.png

But I have taken a different approach. This is the story:

- Started with a BOOT-132 CD adapted for my ASUS P5B Deluxe

- Installed Leopard from the original retail DVD

- Installed Chamaleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.dmg to be able to boot from harddrive.

- Everything is fine, but video card is not recognized and resolution is 1024x768

- Installed Mac OS X 10.5.4 Combo Update.

- Rebooted and result is garbage video.

- Rebooted in safe mode and installed with Pacifist the driver that I had running in my previous install (the one in post #33)

- Rebooted and result in garbage video. Grrr...

- Rebooted again in safe mode and installed with Pacifist the driver from the first post.

- Cleared all caches with OSx86 Tools

- Rebooted again and ... now it works!!!

- Now go for 10.5.5 Update

- Rebooted and got garbage video, disco screen

- Rebooted again in safe mode and installed with Pacifist the driver from the first post.

- Cleared all caches with OSx86 Tools

- Rebooted again and ... now it works!!!

Yes. It's working right now in 10.5.5. All my setups until now has been around Kalyway DVD but now I've experienced BOOT-132 pure vanilla install and is working great so far. It even seems to be more smooth.

My only complaint is that up to 10.5.4 I was rebooting perfectly and after applying 10.5.5 reboot is not working well. It power off the machine but not completely. I'm going to investigate the CHUD.pkg method.

I get a little bug when I install this kext, I think it might be related (not sure).

Sometimes, when an animation starts (that uses QE I would guess) my computer freezes (I Coda from Panic to crash nearly every time you hit "edit" on a site).

If I boot in safemode or if I delete the kexts (QE is disabled), everything is allright; it does not crash.

I'm not sure what this might be, if there's anything I can provide to help fixing this (which might not be a bug in the drive actually, im not sure), let me know.

Original thread here : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=128740

@wwwsn00per and spacekebab

coreyinoz

thanks but it didn't quite work for me, I don't think it's going into standby mode despite being set at 1 minute.

wwwsn00per

i tried your guide.. it didn't work for me :hysterical:

I'm sorry xtrgr, but I've tested it twice and worked for me. My videocard is exactly an ASUS EAH3650 Silent HTDI/512M model, and ATI Radeon HD 3650 with Device ID:9598 exactly like this one

b4l.jpg

Let's try again my procedure. I've shortened the path to get a pure vanilla setup in 10.5.5 even more:

• Installed 10.5.2 from retail DVD using DFE BOOT-132
  • Installed Apple Mac OS X 10.5.5 Combo Update
  • First reboot after update with -v
  • Next reboot with -x - f - v to avoid seeing the ugly disco screen
  • Opened the driver with Pacifist. Be sure the driver is the one in the first page for PCI-e ATI Radeon HD 3650. I used this one. It's name is ATI Radeon HD 3650.pkg and weighs 16912 KB
  • Right click over the package contents and installed to default location.
  • It replaces a lot of stuff in the system. I clicked "yes"up to 70 replacements.
  • Now DO NOT reboot.
  • Open OSx86 Tools and check Clear Extensions Cache, Clear System Application Cache, Clear User Application Cache, Run CRON Maintenance Scripts, Update Prebinding y Touch Extensions Folder.
  • Wait while OSx86 Tools cleans your system from unwanted files
  • Now cross your fingers and reboot...

It should be working now.

Hope this will make your card working. I have found the sequential combination of Pacifist for installing and OSx86 Tools for clearing the caches an invaluable tool to guarantee that the system is going to catch the drivers you want.

One more capture with Quartz Extreme, Core Image and Quartz GL enabled.

jsyl8n.png