Network Solution for Leopard

shornby

112 posts in this topic

Ok, I just returned my Trendnet Adapter and I went to Best Buy and bought the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter. I am getting the same problem. So I think this has to do with the USB. I installed it, nothing happened, loaded kexts, then rebooted, it worked.

Got a system freeze when I opened iTunes, so I restarted and on reboot, my kexts were not loading anymore and my USB adapter was not being recognized in the System Profile.

Do I need a new USB driver?

If I do, which one?

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please help me?

I'm using (well, trying to use) Belkin F5D5050 and even though it is listed as officially supported, it doesn't seem to work, Mac OS says something like 'network cable is unplugged'. I've tried the drivers that came with it (didn't work) and that were linked in this topic (didn't work either).

What could that be and what is the workaround?

I have a macbook air, and I have one of these linkssys usb100tx adapters, but i cannot make it work, I installed the drivers mentioned in the first post, but it doesnt seem to attach the drivers to the card, Just like pongo or whoever said it just sits there with a flashingTX/RX light, but no link light. I sure wish I could make this work, it will save me 25 dollars.

any idea?

• 1 month later...

I just got my cheap Made in China (it doesn't even have a brand :pirate2:) USB-Ethernet adapter to work!

It's based on the ADMtek 8515 chipset.

I installed the Pegasus driver, but all that I got extra was that it finally found it in the System Profiler. So I had to modify the Info.plist file in USBPegasusEthernet.kext/contents/

I looked into the file and found my chipset, but I found that although the Product id matched my chipset's Product id (checked it in the System Profiler), the Vendor id didn't. So I modified the Vendor id to match mine. This is how the device's section looks like now:

<key>ADMtek ADM8515 Pegasus II USB Ethernet</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.dsumorok.driver.USBPegasusEthernet</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>USBPegasusEthernet</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
		<key>idProduct</key>
		<integer>34069</integer>
		<key>idVendor</key>
		<integer>1958</integer>
		<key>readMACFromRegisters</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>

Currently writing from my Hackintosh =D

This was a great tip. I got one off ebay for about $15 shipped. I haven't tried it in XP yet, but it works like a charm with my Kalyway installation and didn't require anything but plugging it in before booting.

Thanks!!!

hi

I second that!

I'm using USB to Ethernet adapter: Datel Lan Adapter for Wii :) (CC,Gamestop,EBgames have it for $29.95)

it has AX88772 chipset and it is USB2

works great under Leopard and Vista, I can't see difference between real eth adapter nad this device in the terms of speed

no need a driver for Leopard

Asix page with bunch of other OS drivers http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pIt...temID=86;71;101

best to all

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, Leopard has 2 USB to Ethernet drivers.

My Linksys 200M also works without additional kext on Leo.

Hey all!

I just picked up a Linksys USB200M and I can't get my Asus Leopard to recognize it...

I noticed there are 2 revisions - the one I bought was ver 2. Is the one you tested 1 or 2? (says right under the model number on the device)

Cheers, and thanks all for sharing your input!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hai,

i got the apple ethernet usb thingy for lke 30$ from bestbuy...it works fine except for one thing, everytime i boot up my computer i need to re-plug it in the usb other wise it just says "not connected" in the network prefs...anyone has a fix for this?

• 1 month later...

Just got my Hawking HWUG1 USB wireless adapter working. I used the Ralink driver from their site and configured it through System Preferences. Works great! I'm no longer tethered to my router! :rolleyes: Here's the link for the driver.

Ralink Driver for Hawking HWUG1 USB wireless adapter

Hope this helps someone.

Later,

iCoder

• 2 weeks later...

Startech USB2100S, AX8817* chip based, working perfectly with leopard 10.5.6,

good speed. tested at more that >12mb/secs

Product ID: 0x1720

Vendor ID: 0x0b95 (ASIX Electronics Corporation)

Version: 0.01

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: ASIX Electronics Corp.

Location ID: 0xfd700000

Current Available (mA): 500

85 0 0x341c9000 0xd000 0xc000 com.dsumorok.driver.USBAx8817x (1.0.3) <81 41 6 5 4 2>

drivers/specs/etc :

http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pIt...temID=86;71;101

• 2 weeks later...

i am using the apple usb adapter.... has anybody got any tips for getting time machine to work? i have the efi strings for built in ethernet but it has not worked this time?

thanks in advance

EDIT: i solved it by using the TOH kext that is floating around. i updated to 10.5.5 got the patched kext and the vanilla kext from 10.5.5 and swapped the contents of MACOS from the patched to vanilla and placed it in my EFI Extensions folder... im backing up as we speak.

i believe a previous comment left in this thread said that it broke his apple usb ethernet... you need to do as i did to the vanilla kext or place the appleusbethernet.kext into plugins of the patched kext (i think that would also work), then it will work. The patched kext was from pre 10.5.2 and does not include the apple drivers.

Edited by ѕӎѳѳҭңӌ

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a "Canyon CN WF518" USB Wireless Adapter that uses the Ralink RT2500 drivers.

When I installed Kalway 10.5.2 it worked ok...but when i restarted, It didn't work and now I cant get on the internet what-so-ever.

On the system profiler it shows that:

802.11 bg WLAN:

Bus Power (mA): 500

Manufacturer: Ralink

Product ID: 0x2573

Vendor ID: 0x148f

The Wireless Adapter itself doesn't blink on the Mac and I have tested it on another computer to make sure it was working and it does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a "Canyon CN WF518" USB Wireless Adapter that uses the Ralink RT2500 drivers.

When I installed Kalway 10.5.2 it worked ok...but when i restarted, It didn't work and now I cant get on the internet what-so-ever.

On the system profiler it shows that:

802.11 bg WLAN:

Manufacturer: Ralink

Product ID: 0x2573

Vendor ID: 0x148f

The Wireless Adapter itself doesn't blink on the Mac and I have tested it on another computer to make sure it was working and it does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My experience with this was to simply unplug the adapter and put it back in and launch the Ralink Utility (or have the Ralink Utility launched beforehand). I'm using a DWA-110.

I've found the Ralink drivers to be quite erratic? Connection quality goes up and down a fair bit.

• 1 month later...
Just got my Hawking HWUG1 USB wireless adapter working. I used the Ralink driver from their site and configured it through System Preferences. Works great! I'm no longer tethered to my router! :D Here's the link for the driver.

Hope this helps someone.

Later,

iCoder

Thanks so much iCoder! It has helped me... Searching for "Hawking HWUG1" results in finding a perfectly working driver for it... I happened to have previously purchased a Hawking HWUG1 for compatibility reason with linux, so it makes sense that there's a driver for mac too.

Once I got my usb ports working with the IOUSBFamily fix, I used that driver from that link you posted and just as you said it works perfectly! Solid connection and no dissruptions, just keeps on working and never have to mess with it. It automatically connects to my network on login and everything... (on all three windows + mac + linux) I love my hawking :o

I would say a Hawking HWUG1 is A++ in compatibility with all the top OS's!

Thanks to Hawking Technologies for making this great device!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am using the Jas Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 SSE2/SSE3 client/server.

I bought a China made T-Link USB Ethernet Adapter few days back for about $7.

The Adapter was detected, as I can see in the system profiler.

USB Network Controller

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Product ID: 0x8101

Vendor ID: 0x0fe6

(But the Serial number was blank)

I tried with the both the packages from http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

My device was not added to the Info.plist, so I tried to make a new entry with my vendor & product ids. But failed, still the device not working

I am tried finding solutions for this from last week.

I don't know my device is based on which chip.

But I can see through the blue transparent body of the in the device, there a rectangular chip & written on that chip:

FPE

F0032

0827G

It seems that my device in not based on the ASIX...

The device working fine in Windows XP. They provide driver cd as well for Windows only.

Any help from you people ?

How can I get my device working ? :P

• 1 month later...

After a month of trying to get my broadcom 440x to work without drops, I read this post and I went ahead and ordered an apple usb to ethernet hoping that this would fix the connection drops.

Even with my apple usb ethernet, I still get connection drops every 1-2 hours when I download torrent files. I tried every single thing on this forum to fix the problem. Nothing works.

Everything else works flawlessly but the connection drop problem is unbearable. Please share your thoughts with me on this one. I have read a bunch of posts by other people who have the same problem. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this the right place to post this question but anyways, I am usin hp dv6735ee i.e. hp dv6000t series having iAtkos v1.0i r2 installed. I just want to ask if I could my dial up modem to work so it could help me a lot

Please help............

Just got my Hawking HWUG1 USB wireless adapter working. I used the Ralink driver from their site and configured it through System Preferences. Works great! I'm no longer tethered to my router! :) Here's the link for the driver.

Hope this helps someone.

Later,

iCoder

Hey Bro... Can you give me some details about how you got that working and how you configured on System Preferences... I have no freaking clue.. .Im considering returning mine.. I'm running SL 10.6

• 2 weeks later...