Network Solution for Leopard

shornby

112 posts in this topic

If your mouse is an USB this is kind of undertandable because they share the USB bus bandwidth.

Try to put the USB mouse in another port (different "intenal" hub).

I have Kalaway 10.5.2 Install on A Gigabyte DS3l Motherboard and onboard Lan works spotty so I purchased the Apple usb ethernet adapter, but it will not recognize the adapter. I checked my IOfamily kext to make sure the UsbGigabit kext was there. It was but still can't get the network to see the adapter. It is in the usb info under High speed bus, but that's it. Any Ideas? Sorry have not updated my sig.

The build-in 8139 ethernet in my Acer laptop works perfectly... but it´s only 100mbit...

I need a gigabit ethernet connection, to be able to use my laptop as a node for Logic Studio.

Isn´t it impossible to get a proper gigabit connection through a USB2 ethernet dongle?

Yes it is possible, but USB 2.0 max speed is 480Mbit/s so there is some banndwidth wasted. and if you have other devices in the USB bus you could have even less bandwidth.

Yes it is possible, but USB 2.0 max speed is 480Mbit/s so there is some banndwidth wasted. and if you have other devices in the USB bus you could have even less bandwidth.

Exactly... that´s what I thought, the USB limits the bandwidth.

In that case I can as well just link the machines together through firewire, I guess..?

If you want to do a network with only two machines the best way is firewire, it's bandwidth is 400mbit/s but in real world applications Firewire is has faster transfer than USB 2.0, you can even out Firewire 800.

• 2 weeks later...

After 3 weeks of buying and trying these cards, I gave up, even when working all of them drop connection or hang my machine when heavy traffic, these are the one I've tried and didn't work:

Realtek 8169S

Realtek 8139D

nforce400

nforce780i

and couple of wireless, supposed to be supported OB.

So, after trying everything and spending lot of money I found that this simple soulution works great, no drops under heavy traffic, good bandwith and cheap!!, and the best of all, suported OB!!! for real!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...usb+to+ethernet

I'm glad I don't have to be worry about this anymore!

:thumbsup_anim:

hi

I second that!

I'm using USB to Ethernet adapter: Datel Lan Adapter for Wii -_- (CC,Gamestop,EBgames have it for $29.95)

it has AX88772 chipset and it is USB2

works great under Leopard and Vista, I can't see difference between real eth adapter nad this device in the terms of speed

no need a driver for Leopard

Asix page with bunch of other OS drivers http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pIt...temID=86;71;101

best to all

thanks a lot , it works

• 2 weeks later...

Seems many had success but now me.I have a very old Usb adapter and a SmartAX MT882 Modem(anyone heard of it!!).The Mac Info shows the following for the USB Adapter and it shows the Modem name correctly

Version: 10.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: GlobespanVirata

Product ID: 0x5c01

Serial Number: 00:0f:a3:50:20:d9

Vendor ID: 0x1110

The USB light in modem is also glowing.But I wonder how do i connect ??I have a Marvell 88E8040 ethernet card in my DELL XPS 1530.can anyone help me?

Seems many had success but now me.I have a very old Usb adapter and a SmartAX MT882 Modem(anyone heard of it!!).The Mac Info shows the following for the USB Adapter and it shows the Modem name correctly

Version: 10.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: GlobespanVirata

Product ID: 0x5c01

Serial Number: 00:0f:a3:50:20:d9

Vendor ID: 0x1110

The USB light in modem is also glowing.But I wonder how do i connect ??I have a Marvell 88E8040 ethernet card in my DELL XPS 1530.can anyone help me?

Your USB adapter is a DSL modem not an USB to ETHERNET adapter.

Fortunately I have drivers for it too,but as soon as i install and reboot I didnt find any new interface in the network preference.One firewire,bluetooth interfaces are available.Am I missing something here??According to the doc for the modem a interface called ethernet adapter must appear in the network preference.

do you think it could resolve the ethernet drop issue? (in kalyway 10.5.2?)

when I download at high speed (my "high" speed is 280kB/s but nevermind, i'm not in a big city), my connection stop and i have to reboot to have connection.

what i get in my console is this message : " kernel exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 78962, dirty_tx is 78838, queue len is 124 "

so plz tell me if this issue can be solved by buying an internet usb adaptater, or if it is a kernel problem ...

PS : i use the ViaRhine.kext on a viarhineII onboard lan on a via chipset in an asrock mobo

Fortunately I have drivers for it too,but as soon as i install and reboot I didnt find any new interface in the network preference.One firewire,bluetooth interfaces are available.Am I missing something here??According to the doc for the modem a interface called ethernet adapter must appear in the network preference.

Try to add a new interface in the network pane, or try to add a new location, maybe it will appear, also check System Profiler: Network.

• 2 weeks later...

Apple USB Ethernet Adapter worked like a charm on my P5N-D, works 100% without CPUS=1 though abit pricey @ $49.99 at Bestbuy here in Canada. I thought about some other cheaper ones but I wanted to get it right and make sure it works the first time... as for speeds on the internet, it's fast. I guess when it comes to transfering files back and fourth on the ineternal network thing might lagg abit.. but that's ok ;)

thank you, macgirl :)

i already knew it'll work with leopard,

by the way, i wanna how this dongle work with nforce chipsets,

as you may know, RTL8139 works great in intel chipset but not the nforce one.

muitommy: Ethernet networking works!! Nvidia 790i Ultra motherboard with quad cores, all running!! Kalyway 10.5.2 on default setup. Apple USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter, model MB442Z/A.

On the first boot after Kalyway install, you might have to do the following. System Preferences -> Network. Click on device: USB Ethernet. Advanced button. Turn OFF Configure IPv6. Click OK button and Apply. Shutdown the computer, when you startup, should have internet.

400-500 KB/s on LAN which normally gets about 2.5 MB/s. Still, it works with no fuss!

2nd Edit: Dooh, sorry that slow network speed was NOT from the Apple USB Adapter! The Apple USB Ethernet Adapter works perfectly, with no speed loss. The slow network speeds were from my powerline networking adapter, which was getting a lot of interference from the dimmer switch that was on a lamp. I turned off the damn lamp, and my network speeds went back to normal!

Big thanks to macgirl for the heads up....U rock!! :happymac:

• 2 weeks later...
muitommy: Ethernet networking works!! Nvidia 790i Ultra motherboard with quad cores, all running!! Kalyway 10.5.2 on default setup. Apple USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter, model MB442Z/A.

On the first boot after Kalyway install, you might have to do the following. System Preferences -> Network. Click on device: USB Ethernet. Advanced button. Turn OFF Configure IPv6. Click OK button and Apply. Shutdown the computer, when you startup, should have internet.

400-500 KB/s on LAN which normally gets about 2.5 MB/s. Still, it works with no fuss!

2nd Edit: Dooh, sorry that slow network speed was NOT from the Apple USB Adapter! The Apple USB Ethernet Adapter works perfectly, with no speed loss. The slow network speeds were from my powerline networking adapter, which was getting a lot of interference from the dimmer switch that was on a lamp. I turned off the damn lamp, and my network speeds went back to normal!

Big thanks to macgirl for the heads up....U rock!! :)

i already have it working smoothly for a few months :( .

btw, that is really costly in Canada, in HK, that only costed me HK$230 / US$3x

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I bought a Trendnet USB to Ethernet Adapter like some here in this thread have, its based on the Asix AX88772 chipset.

I got it to work for a day or two, but now its not working anymore. What kind of weird behavior is this?

Here is the initial problem. I have the Kalyway 10.5.2 and for some reason it didnt include the AppleUSBEthernet kext, so I downloaded it and dragged and dropped it to the Extensions folder, went to Terminal and did the following(I want to include the steps taken, maybe I did something wrong);

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleUSBEthernet.kext <-- press enter

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleUSBEthernet.kext <-- press enter

It fixed the permissions and then I was able to kextload from the Terminal;

sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernet.kext

When I restart, my System Profile doesnt have the AppleUSBEthernet kext on the Extensions list. I have to load it. Could this be why my adapter is not working?

How do I get the kext to load on boot?

Also note that in the USB devices of the System Profile, it doesnt show the USB to Ethernet Adapter, so apparently its not even recognizing it, I dont know if this has to do with the AppleUSBEthernet not loading or some other conflict.

****EDIT UPDATE*****

Ok, I have been doing some more research and I found out that my kext isnt loading because my Adapter is not being recognized, hence, the kext doesnt boot. So what is going on then? Could there be USB conflicts? I also installed the USBAx8817x.kext but the Vendor and Product ID do not match mine in the Info.plist, which is odd, I dont know.

Any help would be appreciated!!!