3G iPhone Confirmed For WWDC

37 posts in this topic

You were probably expecting this: Gizmodo reports today that "someone very, very close to the 3G iPhone launch has told me that Apple will announce their new model at the WWDC Keynote on June 9th." The 2nd generation iPhone will come in glossy black and gain A-GPS technology via a Broadcom chipset.

I suppose it's time to save up to get in on the hype (for me, part of it is selling my copy of Vista Ultimate :) ).

EDIT: To clarify, A-GPS stands for assisted GPS, and is widely used in many cell phones today. Typically, A-GPS uses a combination of GPS satellites and cellular triangulation to determine the user's location quickly and accurately. However, there are various drawbacks, including poorer signal reception due to the GPS side of the system being less robust, and possibly longer initialization times.

so this would or wouldn't work with a CDMA network like alltel?

^that is the million dollar question!

no apple is with gsm, doubt it for CDMA since apple is with at&t for the next 5 years, and ifs it CDMA that means almost anyone is the U.S. can use it.

CDMA is like flogging a dead horse, it might have better range, but nowadays there are so many GSM towers around you'd be hard pressed to find a place without coverage. And if you are in the middle of no-where just use Iridium (even if it is a "tad" expensive ;) )

What's "A-GPS"? Did you mean "a GPS" or does it stand for something like Advance-GPS? :P

Also any word on how much these things are going to cost us now? The same £269 in the UK?

Great News i think i will get this iphone.

you can see here the cover will be to iPhone 3G (from XSKN):-

200805200215.jpg

you can see the difference here this is current cover:-

200805200221.jpg

that is from Milyani BLog (My friend ;))

What is your opinion so about this guys is that will be true?.

To REVENGE:- it will be brilliant thing to selling your vista ultimate (i don't love vista anymore). ;)

More than likely the battery is larger to power the 3G chipset while still keeping the same battery life as the original. So your going to see some extra thickness in the phone, most likely it will be shorter to compensate the change.Lets also not forget it has to house 2 cameras :PAnyone Notice the 8gb and the 16gb model are "Currently Unavalible" on the apple website?

Doesn't look like anything to write home about. I don't like the fattyness, A-GPS is a letdown, and the higher speed data connection doesn't mean anything when everyone has Wifi everywhere these days. I'm glad I got mine when I did, and the only reason I'd upgrade is if it came in a 32GB capacity.

so this would or wouldn't work with a CDMA network like alltel?

^that is the million dollar question!

NO! It's with GSM for the next 5 years, thank GOD! CDMA is a curse, a disease, a scam invented by cellular companies to ensure vendor lock-in, and they temp you into it with higher speeds. Just say no to CDMA.

Yup, everyone has wifi, But it tends to be quite usefull to have 3g when your phone checks your mail all the time. For example, when you're in your car.

And in the Netherlands there is no EDGE network present. We switched to UMTS/HSDPA about two years ago! EDGE just isn't fast enough in a country twice as many phone as people

Will it be possible to unlock the new iphone 3g. or will it have some sort of hardware lock in it. BTW fw 1.2.0 is jailbroken. And will there be a 8gb iphone 3g??? Thinking of buyin it on my visit to us next month.. :D:P

I bet it will be unlockable. I dont think they'd try to tighten up security unless ATT pressured them into it.