Apple iMacs Updated!

32 posts in this topic

We all knew it was coming. Today, Apple finally updated their iMacs, which have not been updated since last August. They feature a faster CPU, Front-Side Bus, and a 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS video card in the high end 24" model. The low end has an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT, and the two midrange-models have a ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro. The 24" model can hold up to 4GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive.

-20", 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB. $1199

-20", 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256MB, $1499

-24", 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256MB, $1799

-24", 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512MB, $2199

iMac

imackeyboard320071026dp3.jpg

I'm considering ordering this one:

-20", 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256MB, $1499

But with a 500gb instead.

Is that a good setup?

Only if they fixed the {censored} panels that have been in the Al 20"

In the Netherlands (and probably more of Europe) prices have changed too. We've always have had to pay about the same amount in EUR as the price is in USD, the price in EUR being with 19% tax included. Now the Mac Mini is available from EUR 499 as was EUR 599 previous (need to go to buy now page or store to see it, information page still says 599) and the cheapest iMac is now EUR 999.

Regards,

Michael

Awesome!!!!

I did check today, I was just on apple.com when I opened up Safari.

3.06GHz!?!?! thats insane!

NVIDIA 8800GS frigin' sweet

'bout time the iMac got a GeForce card...

to bad its only on the 24" iMac though.

First Aluminum iMac with a Nvidia card. :censored2:

I'll be the first to ask... Can the last gen iMac be upgraded to the GeForce 8800 card?

Which one has a Nvidia card before?

Which one has a Nvidia card before?

he Previous generation white 24" iMacs came with Geforce 7300 and 7600GT cards. The first G5 and top of the line G4 iMac came with a Geforce 5200. The first G4 iMac came with a Geforce MX 32mb!

Don't know about you guys...

but I find this a rather disappointing upgrade - especially in terms of graphics.

Why put only a 8800 on the high end? Doesn't the middle-high end got a 24" too? Big screens should have powerful graphics when not upgradeable. IMHO they should've worked the graphics first then raising the CPU. In terms of speed (i.e. gaming) I don't find much difference between a 2.4 or a 2.8 Core 2 Duo but with a 8800GS vs. 2600PRO I bet I do.

Thought I'll replace my hack' but now I guess I have to wait another cycle. Bleh @ Apple - they should really make a Mac Pro variant for home usage (iMacPro with upgradeable graphics)! :)

C.

I want new Mac Minis, with Penryn Core 2 Duo and GMA x3100 and more smaller :)

I have a sad feeling that there will be no Mini update. If the Mini was upgraded too x3100 or similiar and the CPU had a bit more beef then it would the best HTPC on the market when paired with XBMC

aaah, damn, why do i have a stupid 2600 ati card in my imac? those low prices are super! i paid 1900 euro for my imac (see my sig) and now you have for the same money a decent graphics card, 4 gig of ram and a faster processor

{censored} :)