Mojave MBR HFS Firmware Check Patch 10.14.x

1 Screenshot

About This File

Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR HFS+ partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x MBR patch method, and more patch for 10.14 HFS Firmware check by crazybirdy.

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
1. Patch the MBR check, allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR partition.
2. Patch the Firmware check, bypass the error of "
An error occurred while verifying firmware".
3. Patch to stop auto-convert to APFS , "
ConvertToAPFS=false" is no longer worked with 10.14.
4. This patched MBR OSInstaller will never convert to APFS, and will always install as HFS+ partition.
5. This patched MBR OSInstaller method
works with both MBR HFS+ and GPT HFS+ partition (GPT+recovery).

No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

What's the difference between createinstallmedia method, MBR-Manual-Method, and MBR-Automatic-Method?
As the following....
1. createinstallmedia method,

needs stage 1, stage 2 installation process, which is worked with GUID partition only, always convert to APFS format.
2. MBR-Manual-Method (same as 10.12),

install via stage 2 manually, which is worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS, will never convert the partition format.

We can manually format as MBR or GPT, HFS+ or APFS on installation screen like as 10.12.

We can manually select MBR HFS+ partition to install 10.13 and 10.14 on installation screen now.

Needn't to update the MBR-Manual-Method files, it will still work on 10.13, and 10.14 future versions, I think so.

It can be installed as Fresh installation on formated blank partition only, but can't be installed as update from previous version.

3. MBR-Automatic-Method (new for 10.13+),

install via stage 2 automatically, which is worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS, will never convert the partition format.

It can be installed as Fresh installation on formated blank partition, and can be installed as update from previous version.

How to make 10.14 installer for MBR (MBR-Manual-Method)?

Just use EasyMBR-InstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

Read HowTo inside the dmg first, same as 10.12.

Read HowTo Q/A Q5. How to patch to work with CPU SSE4.1 only for Mojave?
Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to update 10.14.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

How to make 10.14 installer for MBR (MBR-Automatic-Method)?

Just use 14MBRinstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

Read HowTo inside the dmg first, same as 10.13.

Read HowTo Q/A Q5. How to patch to work with CPU SSE4.1 only for Mojave?
Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to update 10.14.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

And, need a SMBIOS supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

EasyMBR-Installer1013.gif.cb360f3033945b1b3cd19711482e36c0.gif

14MBRinstallerMaker.thumb.gif.504e7741aa883bf4158f0526988776b5.gif

Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
A6. Some people download installer app from App Store, and get only 18 MB size, not the complete installer app (5.68 GB). You should boot to 10.12, or 10.13 to download it again from App Store, or use script Q6-DownloadFullApp/installScript_1014fullapp to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com.

installScript_fullapp.thumb.gif.963b53da652e145e4ef5a4d461859f0a.gif

What's New in Version 10.14.x

Released

2020.07.13    Update Old-macOS-10+11+12/installScript_1012fullapp.

2020.05.30    Update Readme.

2020.02.25    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2020.01.30    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.12.06    Update Q6-DownloadFullApp

2019.11.02    Add Old-macOS-10+11+12/installScript_1012fullapp.

2019.11.01    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.10.10    Update Q7-Update-installScript, Q8-MBR-Update1014

2019.09.28    Update to 10.14.6.18G103 (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.09.11    Update Q6-DownloadFullApp.

2019.08.26    Update to 10.14.6.18G95 (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.08.02    Update to 10.14.6.18G87 (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.07.23    Update to 10.14.6.18G84 (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.06.20    MBR HFS+ is back for 10.15 now via MBR-Manual-Method.

2019.06.04    End of MBR and HFS+, there is no more MBR HFS+ patch available for 10.15 OSInstaller.

2019.05.14    Update to 10.14.5. (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.03.26    Add support to 10.14.4 BaseSystem.dmg. (MBR-EasyInstallerMaker)

2019.02.13    Update script to make update-installer-dmg on Desktop. (Q7-Update-installScript/installScript_101X)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

38 minutes ago, Nila said:

But why does clover is unable to inject FakeSMC.kext like 10.13. Is there any solution to this problem?

Clover r4630 works fine here with 10.14 inject FakeSMC.kext.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:54 AM, crazybirdy said:

Good news.:thumbsup_anim:

I can boot only installer, but can't boot to installed system with Enoch 2908.

found UserEventPlugins is credit to ASentientBot at post#1683

found com.apple.telemetry.plugin is credit to jackluke at post#1761

found patch code of com.apple.telemetry.plugin is credit to Pavo at post here.

LGA775 Core2 Duo E7400 CPU with only SSE4.1, without SSE4.2, alive with Mojave now. my config.plist.zip

Replace only one file from 10.13.6. telemetry-plugin-10136.zip

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.telemetry.plugin

or

patch the 10.14.db3 com.apple.telemetry.plugin, use Q5-mojave2core/mojave2core to auto-patch with Terminal after update new version.

com.apple.telemetry.plugin-patched-1014db3.zip

And nVidia GPU card use NVDANV50HalTesla.kext, works here.

01.thumb.gif.a047f66428e116b84909601490ab481d.gif

Finally I successfully boot into macOS Mojave GM with my LGA 775 CPU!

Ur brilliant job will be much appreciated!!

GTX Titan Black matches up with dark mode so much!!

OS: Windows 10 Pro for Workstation + macOS Sierra 10.12.6 + macOS Moja 10.14.x +Clover + MBR
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 @3 GHz
Motherboard: GA P43T S3L
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6G
RAM: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Sound:Realtek ALC 888
Network: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 11.10.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 1.34.16 AM.png

• Haha 1

I used your script to get 10.14 installed on HFS+ Journaled in Parallels Desktop.

First I created a blank sparse disk image from within Disk Utility, large enough to fit everything, file system HFS+ Journaled, of course.

Launched the script and selected the mounted disk image as the target.

Used Disk Utility to convert the sparse disk image into a read only image, so that Parallels recognizes it when asking for an installer.

That's it, install as usual!

Not sure if you actually need to start with a sparse disk image, haven't tested that.

1014.png.84c2e1870fb6a7f931b4dec34ec566f9.png

• Like 1

Default Boot in Current MacOS 10.13.6 (17G65) on Disk1 - disk1s2
trying to update Disk2 with 10.13.6 (17G65) with two partitions to Majove
disk2s2   /Volumes/Disk1mbrInstaller
disk2s3. /Volumes/High Sierra   10.13.6 (17G65)

Model Name:    iMac
  Model Identifier:    iMac14,2
  Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon with SSE4.1, without SSE4.2
  Processor Speed:    3 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores: 4
  L2 Cache:    12 MB
  Memory:    8 GB

EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB
8 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with SSE4.1, without SSE4.2
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
MOBO GA-EP45-UD3P
LGA775 socket motherboard

Disk2 2 partitions

/Volumes/Disk1mbrInstaller     changes to after MBR-EasyInstallerMaker /Volumes/1014MBR18A391
SATA Capacity 11 GB
disk2s2

/Volumes/High Sierra   10.13.6 (17G65)
SATA Capacity 11 GB
disk2s3

use script MBR-EasyInstallerMaker

You will need two steps to make installer.

1.Drag in the full Installer App (from Finder): ............................................. it's the Full Installer App.
2.Drag in the partition to write Disk1mbrInstaller as /Volumes/xxxxx (from Finder): ......... it's the USB for MBR Installer.

1.拖入 原始 Installer App :
1.Drag in the full Installer App (from Finder): dragged in Install macOS Mojave.app 6.03GB downloaded from App Store version 14.0.22
2.Drag in the partition to write Disk1mbrInstaller as /Volumes/xxxxx (from Finder): dragged in /Volumes/Disk1mbrInstaller

You can start to boot /Volumes/1014MBR18A391 to install now.
If you need to boot with Chameleon Enoch and -f, please follow the HowTo, steps A5, A6.
If you have any Installation issue, please read HowTo Q/A first.
macOS 10.14 MBR installer is done!

Should I rename  /Volumes/1014MBR18A391   back to    /Volumes/Disk1mbrInstaller  ???

HID: Legacy Shim 2 waiting for Root Device

Just used script ich10fix to patch AppleAHCIPort.kext

same error HID: Legacy Shim 2 waiting for Root Device

Ran prelinkedkernel Tool, replaced prelinkedkernel to /Volumes/Disk1mbrInstaller/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels

No more HID: Legacy Shim 2 waiting for Root Device error, just reboots computer, terminal output attached.

Thank You!

Terminal Saved Output.txt

disk1mbrinstaller.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lesel said:

macOS 10.14 MBR installer is done!

Should I rename  /Volumes/1014MBR18A391   back to    /Volumes/Disk1mbrInstaller  ???

No, 1014MBR18A391 is the same as Disk1mbrInstaller, it's just a name.

Please can someone help me,I'm nearly there with this method.

I have created an installer using the MBR easy installer script. it doesn't seem to boot on it's own.

I can boot it successfully using the Clover bootloader on my hard drive.

I have tried installing Clover to the USB it created but that messes it up.

How do I make the installer the script created bootable on it's own?

Mike

1 hour ago, Crabhunter said:

Please can someone help me,I'm nearly there with this method.

I have created an installer using the MBR easy installer script. it doesn't seem to boot on it's own.

I can boot it successfully using the Clover bootloader on my hard drive.

I have tried installing Clover to the USB it created but that messes it up.

How do I make the installer the script created bootable on it's own?

Mike

The MBR-EasyInstallerMaker script is just create the installer disk, not bootable bootloader.

If you need bootloader, you need to install clover or Enoch to the installer disk by yourself as usual.

Edited by crazybirdy

It looks like the version of Clover I'm using works fine on my hard drive but not a USB stick.

I installed the latest Clover to my Sierra USB stick and now that's giving me the same error, it's working fine on my hard drive though.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure when I get my other USB to boot again so will the new one.

Mike

57 minutes ago, Crabhunter said:

It looks like the version of Clover I'm using works fine on my hard drive but not a USB stick.

I installed the latest Clover to my Sierra USB stick and now that's giving me the same error, it's working fine on my hard drive though.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure when I get my other USB to boot again so will the new one.

Mike

It's fdisk440 issue, read HowTo Q/A Q8.

Thanks works like a charm to install with HFS+ partition!!

One small thing i noticed after i installed mojave i tried to use the boot media to make a Disk Image of the fresh install and Disk Utility would not make a backup, selecting the menu option to make a image from the partition did nothing. Had to use a different boot media to make an image.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

It's fdisk440 issue, read HowTo Q/A Q8.

Thanks, I see the answer is to use dd. I'm afraid that doesn't mean much to me. I've used it when I had a boot0 error but only by copying a line of code.

I've tried installing the latest Clover on a blank USB stick but I just can't get it to boot.

I'm using a legacy bios system.

I'm sure when I can get a blank stick to boot I'll be able to use your installer.

Mike

16 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

No, 1014MBR18A391 is the same as Disk1mbrInstaller, it's just a name.

Thanks crazybirdy,

Should I be able to boot up 10.14 installer on Disk1mbrInstaller on disk2s2 to update 10.13.6 on disk2s3 to 10.14?

Do I need to install clover on Disk1mbrInstaller?

Edited by lesel

11 hours ago, Crabhunter said:

Thanks, I see the answer is to use dd. I'm afraid that doesn't mean much to me. I've used it when I had a boot0 error but only by copying a line of code.

I've tried installing the latest Clover on a blank USB stick but I just can't get it to boot.

I'm using a legacy bios system.

I'm sure when I can get a blank stick to boot I'll be able to use your installer.

Mike

Try to use the old version of Clover before 4540 with fdisk440.

10 hours ago, lesel said:

Thanks crazybirdy,

Should I be able to boot up 10.14 installer on Disk1mbrInstaller on disk2s2 to update 10.13.6 on disk2s3 to 10.14?

Do I need to install clover on Disk1mbrInstaller?

Yes, you can, and Clover installed is better.

Edited by crazybirdy

Hi I prepared image with your scripts and thanks for your amazing work. However when I try update to mojave from High Sierra I'm getting this error (I shared picture). So far I've made few different USB with your script and tried on some PCs ( such skylake, quad core). 

PS: There is no problem on formatted disk installation.

131023.jpg

Edited by nomadturk

4 hours ago, nomadturk said:

Hi I prepared image with your scripts and thanks for your amazing work. However when I try update to mojave from High Sierra I'm getting this error (I shared picture). So far I've made few different USB with your script and tried on some PCs ( such skylake, quad core). 

PS: There is no problem on formatted disk installation.

131023.jpg

You mean, you boot the Mojave MBR usb installer and try to install to update the High Sierra, right?

What's the format of High Sierra? MBR or GPT? HFS+ or APFS?

Can you Save Log as screen shows, and upload the log to see what's wrong?

---

edit:

as test here,

due to the installer error and limited, we can't update from old version to new version as 10.12 to 10.13, or 10.13 to 10.14, it only works with Fresh installation (format partition as blank partition first).

Edited by crazybirdy
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, oldman20 said:

someone this thread said mojave patched trouble with auto update, so what's up?

It seems only APFS can update from AppStore, HFS+ can't.(apple limited)

Both MBR HFS+ and GPT HFS+ need to use Q7-Update-installScript/installScript_1014 to update.

If you want to auto-update from AppStore, you should use GPT APFS.

• Like 2

@crazybirdy

When you say "only APFS can update from AppStore", are you referring to OS like from 10.x.x to 10.14, or updates like itunes, safari, sec?

Edited by ellaosx

14 minutes ago, ellaosx said:

@crazybirdy

When you say "only APFS can update from AppStore", are you referring to OS like from 10.x.x to 10.14, or updates like itunes, safari, sec?

No, I mean,

10.14 update to 10.14.1, 10.14.1 update to 10.14.x from System Preferences update if it's APFS.

If you use HFS+, you can't find any updates from System Preferences to update 10.14.x, it seems that happened.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

No, I mean,

10.14 update to 10.14.1, 10.14.1 update to 10.14.x from System Preferences update if it's APFS.

If you use HFS+, you can't find any updates from System Preferences to update 10.14.x, it seems that happened.

any solution if i want to keep HFS+ format, bro?

52 minutes ago, oldman20 said:

any solution if i want to keep HFS+ format, bro?

I told you before,

Both MBR HFS+ and GPT HFS+ need to use Q7-Update-installScript/installScript_1014 to update.

• Like 1

As we know, we can use Create install method to update Mojave. But as far as I know, this method only allows the GPT to be formatted. my question is; How about High Sierra based on MBR format discs?  Because many users have installed macOS in the MBR section on laptops. 

1 hour ago, nomadturk said:

As we know, we can use Create install method to update Mojave. But as far as I know, this method only allows the GPT to be formatted. my question is; How about High Sierra based on MBR format discs?  Because many users have installed macOS in the MBR section on laptops.

The createinstallmedia method can only install to GPT APFS partition on Mojave, GPT HFS+, APFS on High Sierra, both update to new version 10.13.x, 10.14.x fine.

You mean, MBR High Sierra update to MBR Mojave, 

MBR-Manual-Method can't do that,

only the new MBR-Automatic-Method can do that, but I have removed the files.

If anyone need MBR-Automatic-Method, I can upload it again.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

only the new MBR-Automatic-Method can do that, but I have removed the files.

If anyone need MBR-Automatic-Method, I can upload it again.

You should upload bro. :)

Edited by nomadturk
  • Like 1

I created the installer USB using Manual Method, and did an in-place upgrade (not a fresh install).

Sadly, the SSD was converted to APFS during the install. I have reverted back to High Sierra JHFS+ from Time Machine backup.

assume that I can do a fresh Mojave install to JHFS and then restore apps and documents from High Sierra Time Machine backup...?!?!