Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

It was bound to happen. Psystar is now offering regular non-Apple PCs that can come with Leopard pre-installed. The product they are selling is called "OpenMac," and they say that it is much more upgradable that the Macs Apple sells today. Here are the base specs for $399:

- 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

- 2GB of DDR2 667 memory

- Integrated Intel GMA 950 Graphics

- 20x DVD+/-R Drive

- 4 USB Ports

- 250GB 7200RPM Drive

For $399, those specs seem pretty good, I mean it's not the best PC but it has a good power-to-price-ratio. Because their site is down right now, we really can't say anything else until it becomes active again. But here are some quotes from other news sites that appeared on their website.

When comparing base configurations, the Mac Mini costs 150% of the price of the OpenMac while offering poorer performance, smaller storage space, and RAM. Not only that but the Mac Mini doesn't have the option for an nVidia GeForce 8600 video card like the OpenMac does so playing games on it is a lost cause.
With the EFI V8 emulator it is possible to install Leopard's kernel straight from the DVD that you purchased at the Apple store barring the addition of a few drivers to ensure that everything boots and runs smoothly.

So there you have it: a non-Apple PC with Leopard pre-installed. Well, good luck with that lawsuit.

P.S: If you would have bought those Xserves instead maybe your website wouldn't be down. >:|

I don't see this getting too far. It's a great idea but... as we all know and like you said.. I can hear the lawyers cashing checks now

Apple attorneys will be all over this like white on rice. Perhaps this will be the avenue to challenge the validity of Apple's EULA in court.

I couldn't agree with you more. The idea is beautiful, but I don't think they should be advertising it so openly. Apple is not going to like this, and it says that you can't load OS X on a non-apple Hardware thingy. So really, it seems like a lost cause. We shall see.

Yeah, this was even featured on some major german news sites, for example Spiegel-Online (The headline reads: "Cheap imitation: US-Company builds Apple-Clone for 400$").

My only concern is, that Apple comes to the conclusion that they have to fight the whole X86-Project to avoid such companies from selling Hardware as MacOS-Compatible or even with MacOS preinstalled. Interesting will be what the courts will say about Apples EULA :(

I was just up on their web site and it looks like they are actually trying to do it ....It looks like they will sell a few before Apple gets the Lawyers on them because it looks like a good deal. In the FAQ they even mention looking at InsanlyMac to make sure the updates are safe to install. I am hoping against hope that Apple licensed the software to them. :(

In the FAQ they even mention looking at InsanlyMac to make sure the updates are safe to install.

This is the thing that pisses me off about it. If you're a company that is selling a product, the company has a responsiblity to support it. Don't advertise it then tell people to come to a forum that is soley dedicated to hacking OS X. That's just in bad taste and will more than likely hurt the company (not that selling OS X won't do it either) and hurt the community here.

Not one of us makes any monotary gains from doing this to our computers. We (the users) do it because it's fun and interesting to do. Most of us actually BUY from Apple because of this site (myself included) and without this site it might not even had happened.

I'm not saying that with this site Macintoshs' wouldn't have been bought I'm just saying this site has certainly made Apples' wallet bigger. For a company to just advertise this {censored} is appalling and how they're going about it is just plain idiotic

i see that they will sell the hardware without nothin' on it. Apple certainly can't stop that. Maybe the next thing one does is ask a pirate down by the bay where to find a PsyStarOSX86.torrent. I mean, once that PsyStar torrent is in the wild.....

Maybe someone needs to buy one of these legally, without any OS, or Ubuntu on it, and try Leo4All / Kalyway etc. and report back. Is there any law that says I can't buy a Hackintosh-compatible PC, if none of Apple's software is involved in the transaction? Of course, if Apple comes back and crushes the OSX86 community, that would be the worst possible outcome.

Interestingly enough, they have changed the name from OpenMac to Open Computer. For 399 it doesnt come with Firewire. Thats an additional $50 bucks. Then you have to add leopard (afterall arent you doing a "legal" purchase) Another $155.00

So really they are selling a $604 Apple Mac Subsitute.

How Quiet is the case?? I have A bunch of minis and with the proc running around 151, you dont hear the machine.

Whilst I think it is a good idea to "pressure" apple to make the mini more of a computer, you have to realize what you buy with a True Mac.

Design. Design. Design.

My iMac is almost Dead Silent. My Minis are there, but not there.

Dont get me wrong. I am on this forum because I need a Quad Core mac and Dont want to spend $2000 for one. I think Apple botched that one by ONLY making Mac Pros with Xeons.... I would have made some Q6600 series Mac Pros. Why Not a Mac Mini Pro??? I need PCI slots. So I am building. So far with used parts I have spent $500 for my system. I miss the days you could buy a low end pro mac for $1600 with 3-4 PCI slots.

I am certain there are enough legal issues that will hurt Psystar. Making money installing Leopard on a NON apple machine is just one of them.. From what I can gather, they are charging $26.00 to preinstall a copy of Leopard on an unauthorized machine with Leopards retail price being $129.00 2nd, if they are not a VAR... Well thats another issue.

I have to agree with the other Posters.. I'd hate for the OSx86 project to get attacked because of someones ineptitude in marketing a computer as an OPEN MAC....

Lets keep it like it is.... Tell us how to hack em and move on.... Lets keep it a noisy underground not a loud and obnoxious aboveground. If Apple did a PPC to intel switch, who says they cant or wont do another processor switch which may destroy all of these wonderful efforts.

I won't feel bad if Psystar gets into legal trouble, when they started this they had to know it was coming.

This is the thing that pisses me off about it. If you're a company that is selling a product, the company has a responsiblity to support it. Don't advertise it then tell people to come to a forum that is soley dedicated to hacking OS X. That's just in bad taste and will more than likely hurt the company (not that selling OS X won't do it either) and hurt the community here.

Not one of us makes any monotary gains from doing this to our computers. We (the users) do it because it's fun and interesting to do. Most of us actually BUY from Apple because of this site (myself included) and without this site it might not even had happened.

QFE. The only positive benefit I see of this is OSx86 getting more recognition, and more people running OS 10 on their computers.

this can be pretty bad for all of us hackintosh users, because we were pretty underground till now, but companies like this making the posibilities so open and known apple might take more actions to ensure osX doesnt work on nonapple hardware, as well as take legal actions to companies like this. Lets hope this will die quick and we can continue our business.

:P hey i'm going to like this thing

if this is really going to be for god if Apple is give in, and this will start a whole new Apple experience for everyone :thumbsup_anim:

u can all say GOOD BYE TO MICROSOFT i think microsoft days are getting to an end 5...4...3...2...1....:blowup:

I would suggest that this site blocks people coming from that site. I don't want im to be a support site for a store.

And I doubt a small store like that has the financial strength to challenge apple legally to the extent that they might win their case. There will either be a settlement or a case which would be preferably for apple and will lock their os to their hardware in infinitum...

I would suggest that this site blocks people coming from that site. I don't want im to be a support site for a store.

And I doubt a small store like that has the financial strength to challenge apple legally to the extent that they might win their case. There will either be a settlement or a case which would be preferably for apple and will lock their os to their hardware in infinitum...

I like this idea.I am with you Superhai...

Agreed.

Some people just don't think.

I think if this company really tries , it can get the OsX86 community up to somewhere.

Yep, I really don't see this little white box being the end of InsanelyMac or OSx86, it's actually a pretty good value. If anything I would hope that this pressures Apple to make Macs more expandable. You should be able to use any modern ATI or Nvidia video card out of the box with a Mac.

Yep, I really don't see this little white box being the end of InsanelyMac or OSx86, it's actually a pretty good value. If anything I would hope that this pressures Apple to make Macs more expandable. You should be able to use any modern ATI or Nvidia video card out of the box with a Mac.

Also do something about their overpriced computers.

And then, we can expect (as the trend of mob psychology dictates) that more companies, following Psystar's lead, will offer such computers, and then the Mac OS X would experience a sudden bloom in market share. And when enough companies decide to sell computers with OS X installed, then Apple can't really do anything about it.