My setup, though she's getting a little aged:

AMD64 3000+ @2.0gHz (SSE2)

Chaintech VNF3-250 nForce 3 mobo

1024mb ddr PC3200

BFG GeForce 6800GT OC AGP 256mb

OS X 10.4.4 on a 40gb pata Maxtor hdd

Windows XP Pro on a 160gb pata Maxtor hdd + 300gb sata Maxtor hdd

Hi-Val 4x DVD+-RW burner

How well does it run without sse3? Have a 3800+ with only sse2 and want to know if i should bother making an investment in a board and whatnot, or just buy a celeron and a board?

Is there anyway to do this within the ISO because I would like to install on to my SATA drive using my 10.4.4/10.4.5 bootable ISO. Unfortunately I don't have an IDE drive...

I'm quite interested in that, too.... Maybe someone will be kind enough to explain to us....

See below for System specs.

Issues i'm having: USB Mouse and PS2 Keyboard don't work together, Ethernet not working, SATA untested.

Try to deaktivate the legacy USB and IR, after that it worked out fine for me!

About my System look in the sig.

I think the ATI chipsets are the best joices, somewhere here in the forum is an thread about how to patch the 10.4.3 for it!

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.5 on two pc's.

1) Desktop

AMD64 - 3000+

Asus K8V SE Deluxe

PATA harddisk

SoundMax sound (doesn't work)

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (works fine, all options available but seen as PCI)

Realtek NIC.

Also contains Marvell Yukon Gigabet Ethernet but still need to check on this when I have time. Should work fine normally when I add the hardware ID's to the AppleYukon extension.

2) Acer Ferrari 3200LMi laptop.

AMD64 - 2800+

PATA harddisk

AMD Via Sound (AC97) : Working, only left speaker though.

5 in 1 card reader (working perfectly)

Broadcom Gigabit ethernet (BCM5750 : not working)

Broadcom Wireless (Working perfectly as Airport card after editing the networking extension).

Broadcom Bluetooth : working but always switches itself of after 10 seconds (need to check this)

ATI Radeon 9700 Mobility : works fine, 3D accelerated (still need to patch the binary driver to get rid of the mouse tearing and window corruption on 1400x1050 resolution).

PCMCIA not working.

Wired network is done via Linksys USB200M USB to ethernet stick.

Speed on the laptop compared to Linux and Windows is amazing fast.

Installed all my Mac software I had on the real Mac on these pc's. Everything is working fine.

Even iLife :D

• 1 month later...
nice, we have similar systems.

i used idlehalt=0 to get rid of my stutter.

theres also a thread kicking around with other options, like fn=3 for forcenap to tell the processor to take a break when its not being used.

i find that idlehalt=0 works perfectly for me, so i dont need the other shiznit.

my sys config ---------------------------------V

I was having the same problem with Stuttering on my Opteron 170 OC'ed to 2.6Ghz. Once I set the chip back to standard 2Ghz speed, no more stutter. Sounds strange to me but, its working.

Now if I could just get the sound to work......

--Joe

Opteron 170

1 Gb PC3200

250 Gb HDD (PATA)

Sony DVD Burner

Realtek Ethernet

Add in Fire wire card

Add in USB2

ASRock ComboZ

My computer was working like a charm, without graphic acceleration, until i installed vista on my new raptor, which replaced all of my boot sequence files, and it wont boot to OSX because its not "a windows OS"

i hate m$ sometimes.

specs are in my sig.

i'm downloading the ISO image of 10.4.6 JaS because the 10.4.5 which i download a week ago doesn't work

it sucks at the shell (-sh-2.05b# ...)

hope the 10.4.6 works

my PC :

amd64 3000+ winchester

gigabyte k8-nf-9 nforce4

ATI x1600rpo 256MB

1GB RAM, 250GB SATA Samsung, 80GB PATA Maxtor

AMD x2 4200+ @ 2,6ghz

2 gb ddram

Gigabyte GA-K8NF9 Ultra

ATI X1600 XT 256 MB PCIE

SATA HDD

WG311T Wireless Lan Card

Tascam US-428 USB Soundcard/Midi Controller

OSX 10.4.5

All works on his best... i have full supported usb, firewire 800, wlan, gbit-lan, sata, onboard sound, tascam us-428 and the graphic card still use qe and ci @ 1400x1050x32. I have no Stutter when i run with both cores, but i have to use idlehalt=0 for this.

i benchmarked ableton live (but still support only 1 core on ppc and x86) (with tascam us-428 Usb Soundcard, 10 ms latency)

on my dual g5 2 ghz: 41 % CPU Needed

on my AMD: 24 % needed

cheers

Anyone have the problem where with a 3800+ x2 I had to install the SSE2 patch because whenever I installed the SSE3 kernel I booted to the Mac OSX background (aqua) but never saw the dock or the apple bar... it just hung forever.

Anyway have any insight and / or anyone running with the SSE3 10.4.6 Jas (I applied the PPF) kernel? It runs okay in SSE2 but I was wondering if I run the SSE2 kernel on a CPU with SSE3, am I still losing performance? I've an A8N-SLI Deluxe with 10.4.6 installed on a PATA 80GB hard drive.

Thanks for the info.

matt

I also have an X2 3800+ and I can't complete the install if I install the SSE3 patches. I'm still trying to find out if there's a performance hit from using SSE2 so I can't answer that part.

Biostar T-Force 6100-939 with an Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz Venice clocked to 2.75Ghz, 2GB of G.Skill Extreme DDR500, nVidia 7900GT.

Everything works except the onboard lan (have a D-Link 8139-based card for that) and the onboard video is not compatible with Macvidia at this time (GeForce 6100) nor is my 7900GT.

Other than that, the system runs great! :thumbsdown_anim:

• 2 weeks later...

I got a AMD chip running yesterday. I was suprised at how much i'm enjoying the OS. Just seems so much sleeker.

Anywhoo here are my specs, it's a budget system all the way :hysterical:

AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.6ghz Palermo

Gigabyte KV8M800M

ATI Radeon 9200 128mb ram

512+256 ram

Though i'm having troubles. the Compatibility list sais that LAN, Sound, USB, Sata works. I haven't heard sound, haven't tried though, Ethernet doesn't work, USB mouse doesn't work. GO figure, I hope I can figure them out. If I can't, then I have to head back to windows. A real shame, I'm realy enjoying OSX.

what Ver of OSX did you run? if it is 10.4.6 you may need your IOUSBFamily.kext and IONetworkingfamily.kext and IOATAFamily.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext. That should do it. you will need to get those kexts from your 10.4.3 Developer disk.. Also to get your sound working you may need to edit a kext with your Device ID but I cant remember which one it is..

what Ver of OSX did you run? if it is 10.4.6 you may need your IOUSBFamily.kext and IONetworkingfamily.kext and IOATAFamily.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext. That should do it. you will need to get those kexts from your 10.4.3 Developer disk.. Also to get your sound working you may need to edit a kext with your Device ID but I cant remember which one it is..

I believe it's 10.4.5, I will check when I get home. I get a "AppleVIAATA.kext did not install properly" message. Sais I need to install again. Would this contribute to the problem of no ethernet. I'll try to use the 10.4.3 versions of those files.

Wow that was a quick reply.

AppleVIAATA.kext is your SATA and PATA support, IOUSBFamily.kext is your USB and IONetworkingfamily.kext is your NIC. These are no good on the 10.4.4 thru 10.4.6 revisions. you must use your 10.4.3 kexts from your 10.4.3 disc. place these kexts in your System/Library/Extensions folder. you have to also repair permissions and then type this in your console:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/(YOUR KEXT NAME)

(enter your password when prompted)

and

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/(YOUR KEXT NAME)

(enter your password when prompted)

and

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

and

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

reboot and whatch it in verbose mode and when ya get booted you should be golden if the hardware is supported

• 4 weeks later...

See sig as well. I dont have it on my sys curently, but Im goin for it again this time using JaS 10.4.6 (I have HOTiso 10.4.6 as well, but the JaS release seems more thorough..). Ive installed 10.4.3, 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 all fine with the same issues each time: SPEED! I get a huge lag which makes it almost impossible to use Mac. Ive tried most everything to fix it, and cant figure the problem out. My networking and built in sound didnt work either, but that was inconsequential to me as I have a pci NIC that does work and Ill do a USB outboard sound option.