AMD Systems

191 posts in this topic

amekzz: AppleNForceATA.kext won't work if it's just copied in System/Library/Extensions. It must be placed in IOATAFamily.kext, but's a bit more difficult to activate it then. Use my driver package.

Info: My old driver package archive was defective (crappy StuffIt fault), so I uploaded a new one. Download the fixed driver package here. It containes following kexts:

AppleVIAATA.kext - SiliconImage Si3114 SATA support added

IOATAFamily.kext - AppleNForceATA.kext added

IRKeyboardEmu.kext - needed for installing FrontRow

skge.kext - support for Marvell 88E0001 LAN

and drivers for Radeon X1600Pro card. There's an also an installation instruction file in it, hope it works for you like it did to me. Also take a look at this. Nice and easy to use archiver, bzip2 is a creat crompression format.

GreetinX from the Other Side!

P.S.: vptready: no Smilley attacks again plz

OK. I can't use zip because my web space has a maximum file limit of 1.5 MB and the archive is zipped a little bit bigger than this. StuffIt seems to be {censored}, I crunched the old archive with StuffIt. Some 11.x versions of StuffIt can crash the system. I used iTar for crunching.

Personal Happiness: My Apple Remote works! :) I used a cheap Windows Media Center Remote Control from ebay as infrared controller (must be eHome compatible) and the software MIRA. Runs great now and not only with Front Row.

Hello there...

I've installed the "IOATAFamily.kext - AppleNForceATA.kext added" of your driver package. Restarted and everything seemed fine. SATA was visible, all was working. So... I did my evil second restart and as I imagined, a problem arrived. On the logon screen, the gray one. Its stopped there... it stayed there until an circle, like the one where it reads: "do not smoke" :) appeared. Now... since I've installed the ATA drive, I don't know why this warning that looks like an display warning happened. When I get back from work, I'll try to figure it out.

If anybody has any idea, please drop by.

Mauricio

Well, the SATA do not work on my chipset. Maybe with a new release, it'll have that option.

For now, I will use osx86 for editing and stuff and Linux for my SATA drives, 3D e some comp.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

P.S.: I had to reformat.

hi,

I installed jas 10.4.8 on my compaq r3484ea but it is terribly slow. has anyone an idea?

this are the specs;

amd athlon 64 3400+ (sse2) (2200mhz, os2 says 800 :S)

nforce 3 chipset

geforce 4 go 440 64 mb

1,2Gb ram

i tried the kextcache -e -z -a i386 and kextcache -a i386 -z -k /system/library/extensions commands but it didn't work out....

l8er

I had somethimes the problem on my 3400+ that the CPU multiplier was set from 11 to 4 in BIOS (=800 MHz). I don't know why, but it happened perhaps 2 times or so. OSX behaves like in slow motion, think that's because OSX uses primarely the CPU for gfx than the GPU. Look in BIOS if the CPU multiplier is set to 4.

Should I keep using my system with OSX or forget about it with AMD ?

judokus: If you open a menu or someting does it look like in slow motion? Or are only programs slow? Please enter your system specs in the signature.

RobNyc: What do u have for problems? I looked in the system specs of your board and it has the same onboard components as my A8N-SLi Premium and my K8N-E Deluxe, f.e. Realtek ALC 850 Sound, Marvell 88E0001 LAN, VIA and SiliconImage SATA and Firewire is from VIA too. And all these components are running 100%. I'm only using an ATI card, no nVidia. What for an image are u using? Have you overclocked your system, OSX IDE doesn't like this. Tell me more.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Venice 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache

MSI K8N Neo4-F nForce4 Socket 939 ATX Motherboard - K8N NEO4F

GeForce 7300 GT 256MB PCI-E x16 Video Card

200GB IDE hard drive.

1GB Memory

JAS 10.4.8 Inetl/AMD with PPF1 and PPF2

All works great. Onboard LAN works....Onboard sound works. Video works all resolutions

Not sure about qe / ci....qi / ce? Whatever. Not sure how to check. Cube effect worked on first boot though...

PS/2 doesn't work. But USB mouse and keyboard work great.

System is very speedy! "Feels" much faster than XP. Disk access is very fast.

All programs I have installed have worked fine. Even iLife.

CD / DVD burning works.

The only thing I have noticed is that encoding video takes Forever!! I like to download shows I missed and they are in .avi format. I encode them to svcd so I can watch them on TV with the DVD player. Encoding a 350MB .avi on my Linux box with an 800MHz processor takes 1 hour. On this machine, it takes about 2.5 hours....Not sure what to look at to speed that up. Any ideas?

My system might be a few years old, but it runs OS X exceptionally well, infact, it runs better than the G4 and G5 that I own. Everything 'worked-out-of-the-box' so to speak, aside from the audio.

Mac OS X 10.4.8 (JaS 10.4.8 AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3)

AMD 64 3000+ @ 2Ghz (SSE2) (Socket 754)

ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe (VIA Chipset)

1.5Gb Kingston DDR Ram

Leadtek GeForce 6600 GT 128Mb

Soundmax Onboard Digital Audio (AC'97) ADS1980 Chipset - Working: needed a bit of tweaking to be successful.

Marvel Gigabit Lan

Maxtor 80Gb SATA HD

Maxtor 250Gb IDE HD

Hitachi 160Gb IDE HD

Sony Dual Layer DVD RW DW-Q28A

Logitech USB Headphones & Mic

I'm looking to update to 10.4.9, but finding a stable update for AMD SSE2 CPUs is proving to be hard, so I'm hoping that JaS will put one out soon. I tried uphucks 10.4.9 DVD v1.2 but all I got was missing boot.plist problems :\

Over all, everything has been fairly straight forward, aside from some audio quirks that soon got resolved by searching these boards.

My System runs like a charm

Motherboard - Gigabyte K8N Pro Socket 754

CPU - AMD Athlon64 3200

RAM - 1 Gigabyte

Video - ATI Radeon 9800XT

Sound - Onboard AC'97 Realtek

HD - 40GB Maxtor IDE

DVD Burner - LG Dual Layer 16 +/-

So far everything works great. No problems except once in awhile Text editor will pop up and be working in the background.

I was wondering if I should upgrade my hackintosh to 10.4.9 without breaking anything?

I have Darwin version 8.3.1

OS X version unknown. How do I find this out. I am sure its not 10.4.9 as the new iTunes install says that I need to update the OS X.

Thanks

RobNyc: What do u have for problems? I looked in the system specs of your board and it has the same onboard components as my A8N-SLi Premium and my K8N-E Deluxe, f.e. Realtek ALC 850 Sound, Marvell 88E0001 LAN, VIA and SiliconImage SATA and Firewire is from VIA too. And all these components are running 100%. I'm only using an ATI card, no nVidia. What for an image are u using? Have you overclocked your system, OSX IDE doesn't like this. Tell me more.

Hi thanks so much i really appreciate your help.

Yes all my components are working fine except Sata (nforce4 chipset), I have the 80gb seagate IDE drive for OSX. No I didn't oc I actually went back to stock speeds.

I currently have all my sata drives out the case and only have my 200gb sata backup and the 80gb ide drive. I just heard that if you install OSX on sata with ide drive connected it will work and you can disconnect the IDe aftewards. so im wondering why is not reaidng the sata now . I'm using latest 10.4.8 DVD , and currently downloading the latest uphuck dvd hoping that will fix everything.

My nvidia card is having another little issue might be the DVI To VGA Adapter I remember in 10.4.6 OSX doesnt like adapters.

Does anyone have an am2 Socket System running successfully?

Using this setting is really a pain:

AMD 64 X2 3600 (brisbane) Cpu

MSI k9ng neo-v

nforce410

geforce 6100 on board

PATA Drive (of course on 80 pin cable) 40GiB

It does not even start the DVD-Setup, but has a kernel panic.

Using VMware I have gotten it (Jas 10.4.5 with amd patches and 10.4.6 combo update) to load up (with freeBSD Settings, 1cpu and physical drive).

Running MacOS without vmware after having MacOS installed using vmware, results in kernel panic.

So anyone with a successful am2 Socket system?

-----Edit-----

Uhh... it always helps searching. I just found out there's already a thread to that:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...100#entry372020

@ naquaada

@naquaada

everything goes slow, i checked in System Profiler, and my processor says to be runnin at 800Mhz, and also that is

an adp2,1 model instead of acpi/x86 i can't change anything in my bios.

I didn't found a manual for your lappy, so i can't take a look at the BIOS. Try to search for settings CPU, Bus Frequency etc. Maybe you have to set some of these settings from 'Auto' to 'Manual'. If your Athlon 64 3400+ is like mine (Socket 754, Clawhammer, No SSE3) then the bus frequency must be 200 MHz and the CPU multiplier must be 11x = 2200 MHz, that's the standard frequency of this CPU. I had the same problem like you (twice or more), but I can change my CPU settings in BIOS manually. If you don't find anything, try to reset the BIOS to default settings or try another installation. Wish you luck,

P.S.: Enter HD information, which OS installations you have and the OS X image u used too.