AMD Systems

191 posts in this topic

hi,

i just installed win xp, looked with cpuz and showed 800mhz.... updated my bios and it was 2200.... so never used my full processor capacity.

Reinstalling osx now, everything goes a lot quicker than before ^_^

thanx for your help anyway

greetz

Install AppleVIAATA.kext and IOATAFamily.kext from my nForce drive package and follw the instructions, then SATA should also work.

should work out of the box or afterwards?

Use the install instructions, chmod... etc. I never had problems whwn my SATA HDs were connected to my system. I only had problems when my IDE setup was wrong: DVD-ROM on Secondary Slave wasn't working, it must be Master. Now my setup is 2x HD on Primary (Master is booting), 2x DVD on Secondary, I think installing from Master and Slave is working.

GreetinX from the Other Side!

I'm wondering because I have 2 HD's already seem dead after I installed uphuck's dvd. 1 80gb IDE and 1 74gb Raptor sata. I have 1x160GB IDE left to try and uphuck's dvd kills it afterwards I'm not going to risk my 2x250GB Sata . I was hoping there was a nforce4 (sata) driver on teh dvd or something

nForce 4 SATA doesn't work on uphuck's DVD, the HD's aren't even recognized in the disk utility.

One tip for all: If you don't want to have you Windows drives on the Mac desktop, add a dot '.' before the name, like '.Windows XP'. The drive isn't shown anymore on the desktop, but still available in the Finder's side bar.

nForce 4 SATA doesn't work on uphuck's DVD, the HD's aren't even recognized in the disk utility.

One tip for all: If you don't want to have you Windows drives on the Mac desktop, add a dot '.' before the name, like '.Windows XP'. The drive isn't shown anymore on the desktop, but still available in the Finder's side bar.

well they are recognized in disk utility

I just finish installing on my last 160gb ide drive and i got

<RobNyc> MACI : family spepcific matching fails

<RobNyc> MMAC : family specific matching fails

<RobNyc> display : family specific matching fails

<RobNyc> NVDA : start (display) <1>

<RobNyc> NVDA : start (display) <1> failed

<RobNyc> Login Window App Started and gave me screen to reboot

So installation on SATA drive is not possible at all even if you have OSX On IDE and you patch your SATA driver afterwards?

naquaada I love you man! ;) I am running MacOSX 10.4.8 right now.

Graphics, out of the box, as far as I can see now (first boot!) I can not change the resolution as of yet. I am using an ASUS ATI x700 pro.

Furthermore the LAN worked straight out of the box, I haven't needed to change any settings in the CPU multiplier. I haven't enabled the audio card in the BIOS yet that comes with the Motherboard because I am using a Creative X-FI Platinum. I might look around right now to see how to get that working.

Anyway, thanks :P:D and i'll keep this updated with my findings.

Hardware:

MacOSX version: JMOSX10.4.8 ALL-PATCH.iso

AMD 3800+ X2 s939

ASUS A8N-E (LAN works out of the box, sound (no idea yet), sata(no idea))

120GB Hard disk as Slave on Primary IDE Channel

DVD Drive as master on primary IDE channel.

ASUS ATI x700 Pro (can't change resolution out of the box, seems slugish)

Any ways to test what I can and cannot do?

Thanks, VPT

Erm... thank you for loving me... but I just can't remember with what I helped you

You are welcome :censored2: . You helped me a few posts back.

Anyway updates:

-Just switched on the sound in the bios, works fine without any patch

-Tried installing final cut pro, doesn't work because I suspect it doesn't recognise the GPU... I will need to find a working patch. I will have a looksie around the forum.

-GPU finally fully supported, but with glitched in the cursor, I believe its called mouse tearing. Doesn't bother me too much, I am happy with full very smooth support of the hardware so far.

-Installed Final Cut Pro :D now to download some testing stuff since I haven't plugged in my windows disks, besides, those are all ntfs anyway.

-one thing I forgot to mention is that the reboot doesn't work. I have to press the reset button after a little while (to be sure its done with doing what its doing)

:P I will keep everyone posted.

All I can say about my last few hours of experience with OSX is that I am very pleased. It boots very quickly and is fairly good to use after being used to windows. The thing that kind of annoys me is switching between windows, but that will require simple getting used to. Apart from that the system feels very strong and efficient. It feels like it has been built with quality in mind. Also I don't get the feeling "oh no this is going to crash" like you do in windows, very nicely done.

I'm going to build a machine for the sole purpose of running OSX. Trying to use this thread and the Wiki to build a machine that should run OSX pretty easily. I'd love to just put the DVD in, install and start using it.

Is this the correct place to ask about my setup? If I paste what I'm thinking about building here, can you guys critique it?

Here's my setup.

Motherboard: Asus K8N4-SE

Processor: AMD 754 Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz (Venice)

RAM: 1GB DDR400 Corsair (512MB x 2)

Graphics: Palit 7600GT 256MB (QE/CI, Resolutions), connected to LCD, and TV-Out (Natit v.0.02)

Monitor: 19" Samsung 932B+ LCD (1280 x 1024)

HD 1: 80GB SATA (Windows XP) (Nforce4 SATA drivers found in this forum)

HD 2: 160GB PATA (Mac OS X 10.4.9, with Security Update 2007-005)

HD 3: 250GB SATA2 (NTFS, storage)

Bluetooth: Broadcom

Network: PCI Realtek (Forgot which model), didn't use on-board.

Audio: On-board (Works great)

So far the system runs really fast, and I love it! After I updated to 10.4.9, iCal works great! (no more running via Rosetta fix like others suggested). Quicktime 7.1.6 runs great and FAST! VLC Player haven't crashed so far (it crashed quite often on 10.4.8, when viewing full-screen on TV. Java apps such as Azureus funs faster too!

I love the USB Bluetooth. I had to install the drivers on Windows XP just to get it run properly. In Mac, everything's there! I can browse through my phone, synchronize contacts/address book. Awesome!

Oh yeah, I installed using Jas 10.4.8 AMD/Intel PPF1, and then upgraded to 10.4.9 via 1049_AMD_Delta. Updated using Apple's Security Update 2007-005, and then ran Maxxuss patch via the AMD patch found in here as well.

By the way, I was using AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Newcastle) with no SSE3. Ran DVD player, and it really sucks (lags badly). I upgraded to the Venice processor with SSE3, bam! I'm now using DVD Player to watch movies! :lol: Hey, it's really cheap, less than $40 on newegg.

willaw: is your gfx card AGP or PCI-e?

mjaleo: Look in my signature, the A8N-SLI Premium based systems. Me and my friends have about 8 systems like these running and they are really 100%.

vptready: yeah, OS X is the best ebay platform... If you had to boot the computer first you'll win a few seconds because it boots faster than windows :P For ebay sellers: Take a look at GarageSale. On AGP machines Final Cut won't install because the cards were recognized as PCI cards and Final Cut needs AGP at minimum. If you patch the info.plist inside Final Cut and replace in the minimum requirements 'AGP' with 'PCI' then it could be installed on these systems too. But if you got it working, it's OK. If you don't like to switch between MacOS and Windows try Parallels, it's a great VM. If I need Windows I use this one. The installer won't run on AMD systems because it checks for an genuine Intel CPU. Open the installer package and remove the CPU check in the info.plist just at the bottom. Somewhere else in the installer package, I think in 'Resources' is a file called 'InstallerCheck'. Delete it, then the Installer works on AMD too. To run Windows progs directly in MacOS, try CrossOver. It's based on wine, runs fine, but isn't as compatible as Parallels. But even Call of Duty 2 and so on should run on it. Here's an Overview of the various program types MacOS can run.

BTW: Who hadn't noticed, I put my Apple Logo layout in my signature. It's nice for tower enhancements, look here for demonstration.

GreetinX from the Other Side!

See sig for my system.

All works fine except for a couple of probs. with audio and USB. Audio works out-of-the-box, with a little configuring in the AudioMIDI setup. USB works for keyboard&mouse, but iPod and USB thumb drives aren't mounted. I'm hoping getting the kexts from 10.4.1 will fix that.

i got my amd sempron 3000 mobile in an acer aspire 3000 to boot osx...its runnig but i have only 1 usb port where my usb mouse or keyboard works. On one of the other usb ports my ubs stick works fine.

I have no sound

no lan /wireless (broadcom devices)

and no Keyboard and touchpad

can anyone help.... i'm getting mad. Eventually a dricer package with how to?

thanks

a little question..

from 10.4.6 til 10.4.9, i can't see my memory in system profiler..

it says empty on all slot..is there a way to solve it?

it doesn't slow the os and stuff though..just wondering..

coz on my intel system it read well..

bluedigitalmedia: can't say for all AM2 boards, but a friend has an Asus M2N4-SLI (nForce 4) where also Ethernet wasn't working. Great AMD boards are the Asus A8N-SLI series, but they are Socket 939.

All I really am concerned about is getting the nvidia SATA chipset up and running since I have 4 ports available. I can deal with the Ethernet no functioning but I am still not using OSx due to the SATA issue. I shoot video and produce audio content and have wanted to dive in with FCP and Logic but have had to hold off due to the lack of hard drive ports available to me. I need to be able to set up a RAID0 for video editing but the only ports available for setting this up are non-functioning - the SATA ports.

Any Ideas???

You can forget hardware Raid in OSx86. These controllers weren't made for use with OS X at all, don't hope that they'll doing RAID. nForce 4 SATA works mostly fine - in single HD mode. Network is sometimes a problem cause the LAN controller is the same (nForce 4 is Marvell 88E0015 or so), but the LAN bridge is different, on newer boards it is f.e. an Attensic bridge. This was the reason why LAN was detected, but can't connect on my friend's AM2 board. There's an thread somewhere about Attensic, search for it. Would be cool if you find something out if it works, could be interesting for my friend.