Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

With the JMicronATA.kext in my extensions folder I could get the system to crash every time, as soon as it hits 3.5GB memory usage. Without that kext, the system is rock stable.

I rock way past 3.5 with my particular JMicronATA.kext... upgrading to 8GB on Monday

I've just updated to the new AppleSMBIOS.kext but in system profiler it seems to have killed the memory info. It now says 'There was an error while gathering this information.'

Any Ideas what i've done wrong?

If I knew more about your install and system, then I could help...but your signature is empty and I don't know who's install you used

I used your guide, no problems during install. Thanks!

Only thing missing now are my P-ATA drives (DVD-burner and a SAMSUNG HD)

The drives are there in my Kalyway10.5.1 Vanilla install.

Any idea on how to solve that?

My relevant system specs:

1. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R v 2.0

2. BIOS: F4

3. Chipset: Northbridge: P35 Express Southbridge: ICH9R

4. Built in LAN: Realtek 8111B

5. Built in Sound: Realtek ALC889A codec

6. Processor: E6300 65NM 1.86

7. OS: Full Retail DVD install Guide, 10.5.2, Vanilla, PC-EFIT v8

Only thing missing now are my P-ATA drives (DVD-burner and a SAMSUNG HD)

The drives are there in my Kalyway10.5.1 Vanilla install.

Any idea on how to solve that?

Yes. You need JMicronATA.kext in your /System/Library/Extensions.

My relevant system specs:

7. Memory? It's relevant if you are using the JMicron kext.

Yes. You need JMicronATA.kext in your /System/Library/Extensions.

I checked this, it's already there (I didn't put it there). And it seems to be the same version as the one in my Kaliway install

7. Memory? It's relevant if you are using the JMicron kext.

7. RAM: Kingston Valueram 667MHz 2x1 2GB

I checked this, it's already there (I didn't put it there). And it seems to be the same version as the one in my Kaliway install

7. RAM: Kingston Valueram 667MHz 2x1 2GB

Ok so I would repair permissions, and check that you actually have the Gigabyte controller enabled in the BIOS and the mode set to IDE or IDE/RAID. If that doesn't work, maybe your JMicronATA.kext got replaced with the vanilla one which DOESN'T work (because the ID's of the device are different). If you need the patched driver it will be in LS8's DS4 install pack.

.. If that doesn't work, maybe your JMicronATA.kext got replaced with the vanilla one which DOESN'T work (because the ID's of the device are different). If you need the patched driver it will be in LS8's DS4 install pack.

Ok, that solved it. Thanks!

Now all that's left for me is trying to fix my graphics (msi radeon 2600 pro). Worked perfectly fine with Triakis, but after installing Apple Graphics update (and reinstalling triakis) it gives me blank (translucent) menu's.

But that's a different topic I guess :blink:

Success!

I started over from scratch, still used my Macbook and retail DVD to install but this time I was very careful during the file copies. Perhaps I made a subtle error the first time.

Also, I chucked NVinject in favor of an EFI string for my 7600GS and after some trial and error, found a hex string that worked.

So everything is working except for my DVD drive on PATA, I'll be working on that next. And I intend to replace the networking with the Realtek kext from the guide update. I assume I have to install the developer tools and build the project?

thanks!!

Hey all... since were all in the same family of boards/installs... just wondering how your AFP and Bonjour is working? Mac to Mac AFP networking and or Back to my Mac?

My SMB networking is fine (between macs, pcs, etc)... but having issues with AFP, Bonjour... of course, have tried every driver combo around...from Realtek, modified Realtek, new network card with 8169 chipset, native apple 8169 kext, etc...enable onboard LAN, disable onboard LAN, DHCP v. static, have come full circle now, just replaced most of the kexts with the current ones we are all using... and still no AFP or Bonjour.

I think it could be an issue with IONetwork? Wonder if our time fixed kext is causing an issue? I even tried copying Kalys IONetworking kext to my install and that did not help. I am working hard to find a solution but could use help since I suspect we are all experiencing the same issues (whether you notice it yet)

The frustrating thing is that AFP and Bonjour works really well on my Kalyway install

Tried:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=84322

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry621881

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29436

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...p;GetDown=false

What is Kalyway doing that we are not? Is it something in IONetworking? Frustrating... seems like something small hiding in the grass and I can't find it!!!

Let me know what you all are seeing

Hey all... since were all in the same family of boards/installs... just wondering how your AFP and Bonjour is working? Mac to Mac AFP networking and or Back to my Mac?

Aha, yes ... with the Realtek driver, I am not able to use AFP either. Bonjour seems to be half working since I can see printers and whatnot.

I will post again if I find out anything. I'm going to put Wireshark on the ethernet and see what is happening with AFP.

RK

Hi,

have no prob with mac to mac, mac to pc,

can see printer, can see itune libery from my other imac...

1 question though, what's AFP? Do you mean Classic os9?

AFP is 'Apple Filing Protocol', it's the "native" file sharing protocol for Macs. Windows uses 'SMB' which is 'Server Message Block' and to use SMB, OS X has to use a open-source software package called 'Samba', the same package that Linux users would use to do the same thing. Compare that to AFP which Apple invented and maintains. There is a open-source software to do AFP as well called 'Netatalk.'

On the Mac from the Finder, you'd do command-K to get a 'connect to server' box and in there you'd ask to connect to 'afp://mac/share' to use AFP.

I *think* the AFP problems are only manifesting if you use the Realtek kext. I am going to remove mine to see if that fixes AFP, but also I am working on figuring out what is happening with the Realtek in there.

RK

On the Mac from the Finder, you'd do command-K to get a 'connect to server' box and in there you'd ask to connect to 'afp://mac/share' to use AFP.

Even easier right click on the toolbar choose Customize Toolbar then drag and drop the Connect option to where you want it on the bar click Done then the Connect option is always there.

Hey Long Time... can your system see the 512mb on your 8800gt? I used the latest NVinject for my evga 8800gt, and edited the plist for 512mb vram, but it still sees only 256mb. You didn't flash a hacked rom to your Nvidia did you? That I won't do...

thanks!

Rob

Hey, I have

Motherboard: GA-EP35-DS3P Revision 2.1 with the newest bios

CPU: e8400 wolfdale

RAM: 6gb ddr2 667mhz kingston

GRAPHICS: xfx 256mb 8400gs

Harddrives: 250gb Seagate PATA/IDE

DVDRW:Random brand on PATA/IDE

I have gotten kalyway and iatkos 10.5.1 to fully work with vanilla kernel and efi and patched to 10.5.2, kernel 9.2. Sound, Video, Sleep, Restart etc is all 100% working... BUT, Every time I use a program for torrents like "transmission", It crashes whenever I resume a download/when it checks for existing data. I'm using IStat Pro to monitor my ram and I watch it begin to drain down from around 5.37gb to around 2gb once data checking on "transmission" has begun. This results in a kernel panic every time! What's going on? If I pause transmission when it begins the data checking then my ram drainage stops too... Wierd! I've tried everything I can think of. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Everything is awesome besides this issue.

Thanks in advance =)

-TrickyC

Hey, I have

Motherboard: GA-EP35-DS3P Revision 2.1 with the newest bios

CPU: e8400 wolfdale

GRAPHICS: xfx 256mb 8400gs

I have gotten kalyway and iatkos 10.5.1 to fully work with vanilla kernel and efi and patched to 10.5.2, kernel 9.2. Sound, Video, Sleep, Restart etc is all 100% working... BUT, Every time I use a program for torrents like "transmission", It crashes whenever I resume a download/when it checks for existing data. I'm using IStat Pro to monitor my ram and I watch it begin to drain down from around 5.37gb to around 2gb once data checking on "transmission" has begun. This results in a kernel panic every time! What's going on? If I pause transmission when it begins the data checking then my ram drainage stops too... Wierd! I've tried everything I can think of. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Everything is awesome besides this issue.

Thanks in advance =)

-TrickyC

I found in another thread to add maxmem=3456 (maybe lower or higher depending on your gear) between <string></string> in your .com.apple.boot.plist - This DID solve the problem with my memory draining and crashing with certain programs. I think it's because of the specific programs not knowing how to handle 3.5gbs of ram and up with leopard yet? Anyway this will work untill hopefully an update fixes it. Just add that to the boot.plist, reboot and use those apps. Remove it to use full ram on native programs etc.

Hey Long Time... can your system see the 512mb on your 8800gt? I used the latest NVinject for my evga 8800gt, and edited the plist for 512mb vram, but it still sees only 256mb. You didn't flash a hacked rom to your Nvidia did you? That I won't do...

thanks!

Rob

Sorry for the late reply but have friends in town visiting from home.

I just setup EFI for my video card yesterday... and will help you set yours up the same way. Just give me a day or so to get all the info organized so I can share

:)

I found in another thread to add maxmem=3456 (maybe lower or higher depending on your gear) between <string></string> in your .com.apple.boot.plist - This DID solve the problem with my memory draining and crashing with certain programs. I think it's because of the specific programs not knowing how to handle 3.5gbs of ram and up with leopard yet? Anyway this will work untill hopefully an update fixes it. Just add that to the boot.plist, reboot and use those apps. Remove it to use full ram on native programs etc.

I have no memory issues with my files and install method

Hey, I have

This is your issue. ATA drives, and using the JMicronATA.kext. Put them on SATA converters on the Intel SATA ports, and remove the jmicron extension.

One other thing you can try first - in the BIOS set the gigabyte controller to AHCI and see if you still have the same problem. If so, go with the 1st recommendation.

This is your issue. ATA drives, and using the JMicronATA.kext. Put them on SATA converters on the Intel SATA ports, and remove the jmicron extension.

One other thing you can try first - in the BIOS set the gigabyte controller to AHCI and see if you still have the same problem. If so, go with the 1st recommendation.

Is your system overclocked?