[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I don't know how to find the device ID or where/how to add it.

Once I open AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext there is another contents folder with several files and a MacOS folder.

You can see your PCI Device IDs with DPCI manager (google it).

Edit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

the easiest way to find the device ID is in Windows XP, find your network device under Hardware and check it's properties. One of the tabs on the property window will show you the vendor id and the device id.

No, that is not easiest way, easiest is to use DPCI Manager, directly on Mac OS and without need to open more windows than the own app. :cards:

I installed the original Graphics Update from Apple, installed NVinject 0.2.1 previosly to reboot, rebooted, then made a gfx string and inserted in com.apple.Boot.plist, deleted NVinject and rebooted.

Just wanted to comment. I have a Vostro 1500 running iATKOS, been reading this guide and its very helpful, thanks macgirl.

I have integrated graphics and I have sleep working, as long as I disconnect all USB devices, otherwise it wakes up instantly. I don't think I did anything to make it work aside from the 1.5.2/graphics update. I still have USB 2.0 also.

And everything else is working fine now: ethernet, wireless (dell truemobile 1390), battery meter, sound (no mute), two-finger scroll. No speedstep though.

Just a few things though, on every boot, my screen starts off in sleep state, so I have to set a hot corner to screen sleep and then wake it after that.

Also, my Broadcom 440x ethernet seems to have trouble keeping a connection. It works for a while (random amounts of time) then either drops completely, or drops to <56k speeds, then dies completely.

Just wanted to comment. I have a Vostro 1500 running iATKOS, been reading this guide and its very helpful, thanks macgirl.

I have integrated graphics and I have sleep working, as long as I disconnect all USB devices, otherwise it wakes up instantly. I don't think I did anything to make it work aside from the 1.5.2/graphics update. I still have USB 2.0 also.

And everything else is working fine now: ethernet, wireless (dell truemobile 1390), battery meter, sound (no mute), two-finger scroll. No speedstep though.

Just a few things though, on every boot, my screen starts off in sleep state, so I have to set a hot corner to screen sleep and then wake it after that.

Also, my Broadcom 440x ethernet seems to have trouble keeping a connection. It works for a while (random amounts of time) then either drops completely, or drops to <56k speeds, then dies completely.

What did you do to get sleep working and wake up working??

For me, sleep was working before the installation of the usb patch and works now too. But it can't wake up!

Did you try to load the kext manually?

"sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext"

When that is entered the following error occures:

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/index.kext is not a directory

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext has problems:

Missing dependencies:

{

"com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily" =

"A valid compatible version of this dependency cannot be found"

"com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family" =

"This dependency has dependencies that cannot be resolved"

When that is entered the following error occures:

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/index.kext is not a directory

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext has problems:

Missing dependencies:

{

"com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily" =

"A valid compatible version of this dependency cannot be found"

"com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family" =

"This dependency has dependencies that cannot be resolved"

fixed it by getting my hands on a 10.5.2 ionetworkfamily and pasting it in, then removing the caches and rebooting with a -f.

However there is another odd problem. When launching a game it plays very choppy. So put the laptop to sleep, bring it out of sleep and the game plays smooth.

Except this last time it didn't come out of sleep and had to reboot and then got the error that ionetworkfamily was installed incorrectly and the laptop lost wireless again. So removed the caches again, rebooted with -f again, got wireless back. Immediately rebooted and it kept wireless.

So now there is the problem of the laptop no longer sleeping and the choppy game play. So either need to fix the choppy game play directly or fix sleep as a workaround for fixing choppy gameplay.

What did you do to get sleep working and wake up working??

For me, sleep was working before the installation of the usb patch and works now too. But it can't wake up!

I'm not sure actually haha. i don't think i ever tried sleep after updating to 1.5.2. but i installed the USB patch, and it wouldnt recognize any USB devices at all. so I restored my kexts, and sleep still worked. so i left it. but like i said, i never tested sleep before i tried installing the USB patch, so i'm not sure if that did anything at all.

for wake, i just press the power button or clamshell open. I'm not sure if sleep is relevant to graphics card, I have intel integrated x3100, and sleep/shutdown/restart all work fine for me without any mods. (sleep didnt work before the 1.5.2/graphics update though)

also, sleep only works if i disconnect all usb devices, otherwise it wakes again instantly.

I have a Vostro 1500 too, same problem here!!

There's lots of people reporting the same issue, so we're not alone, the Broadcom 440x driver is very old, probably needs an update it's not getting

Does anyone have any idea as to how to fix a restored install from time machine because after I restored from the install disc it started to freeze after it had actually found the boot device

fixed it by getting my hands on a 10.5.2 ionetworkfamily and pasting it in, then removing the caches and rebooting with a -f.

However there is another odd problem. When launching a game it plays very choppy. So put the laptop to sleep, bring it out of sleep and the game plays smooth.

Except this last time it didn't come out of sleep and had to reboot and then got the error that ionetworkfamily was installed incorrectly and the laptop lost wireless again. So removed the caches again, rebooted with -f again, got wireless back. Immediately rebooted and it kept wireless.

So now there is the problem of the laptop no longer sleeping and the choppy game play. So either need to fix the choppy game play directly or fix sleep as a workaround for fixing choppy gameplay.

Most of us have choppy "display", but you dont need to put the laptop in sleep mode, just put the display in sleep mode with "hot corners", since the firs beta 10.5.2 kexts arrive I see that display behaves choppy, then I put the display to sleep and everything is at good speed, I measured with OpenGL Viever Extensions tests and Xbench, on some tests there is a increment of 1000%.

sleep seemed to work, or so I thought

I used the new installer to install the new usb stuff, and after reboot I can sleep via power button or menu. But.. I cant get out of sleep. Computer turns on, but the screen stays black.

Any ideas?

for those who has back screen after wake which Kerner are you using, a mintue ago I booted with the Netkas (speedstep) kernel, put the lappy to sleep mode, then wake and I have black screen, this is not happening with Vanilla (9.2 or 9.2.2) kernel.

Please post yours.

for those who has back screen after wake which Kerner are you using, a mintue ago I booted with the Netkas (speedstep) kernel, put the lappy to sleep mode, then wake and I have black screen, this is not happening with Vanilla (9.2 or 9.2.2) kernel.

Please post yours.

I think I am using the one with speedstep (not in osx to check atm). I would rather have speedstep than sleep imo :blink:

Hi,

Just installed iatkos ir2 on my M1530. Graphics are okay with the new MacbookPro Drivers. Bluetooth, webcam works great, even the remote control is useable, also in front row. Also the 2-fingers scroll is already enabled by the tutorial in The Genius Bar.

But i have still some problems.

-My wireless internet stil doesn't work, still waiting for the drivers, go for it guys!

-My ethernet also doesn't work. It's a Marvell ...8040. Anyone who knwos how to get this thing to work?

-Also the sleep, shut down and restart function doesn't work, try out some tips, didn't work...

-At last the powermanagement is a problem. Is there a possibility to make profiles so i can get my battery life higher? And how come that i replaced the bundle but the battery icon still doesn't appear after reboot?

Glad to hear some other m1530 owners...

I am one of the M1530 owners and AFAIK I just found a possible solution for the shutdown/restart problem. You may check netkas for a ToH edited kernel. I have got it but I haven't tried it. Not sure whether it works on XPS machines...

As for the ethernet, I have the same problem. After editing device ID and vender ID, Leopard recognized my card with a correct MAC address. However, it keeps saying that my cable is disconnected. And it seems that Yukon 88e8040 is seldomly discussed in the thread or in the whole forum. Looking forward to seeing someone posting a solution or something.... Thanks in advance...I am always in plugged mode when using my computer so I never care about batteries. For the wireless, I think replacing Intel 3945abg with a dell 1390 card is our best choice currently, with no information when the driver will be developed...This is all I know about XPS M1530.

Hoping to hear some other M1530 users' reply!!

I am using Kalyway 10.5.1 with vanilla kernel~

Sorry for my English~

Please post yours.

My m1330 wakes to a blank screen - and Im running the new 10.5.2 kernel (9.2? Im not sure)

shame - I can do without shutdown and restart, but sleep would be awesome <_<

EDIT: Then again, I cant even get a battery meter to appear - so god knows what Ive done.. :P