[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

for those who has back screen after wake which Kerner are you using, a mintue ago I booted with the Netkas (speedstep) kernel, put the lappy to sleep mode, then wake and I have black screen, this is not happening with Vanilla (9.2 or 9.2.2) kernel.

Please post yours.

Hello Macgirl,

what are the differences between both kernel?

Does vanilla kernel remove speed step?

Thanks for your answers

Also, has anyone else noticed that text to speech doesnt work properly? I get garbled speech, and the bits you can understand are unrelated to what it should be saying :)

BTW, my machine just slept and woke properly - and I got the battery meter working - hope that continues.......

about the black screen after sleep, that's the same for me, using netkas kernel, and can't get out of sleep.

So do you think speedstep is incompatible, or is it fixable ? because i would like to keep speedstep, considering that leopard is already using nearly twice as much battery as in my modified windows XP ( nearly 2h with leopard, and 4 with windows xp light version, modifief to get only the strict minimum running)

AFAIK mirror never worked on hackintoshes, not sure if it works on ATIs.

I think it worked for me some time ago on my Dell Vostro 1400 (NV 8400 GS) when I used one of the NVinject kexts (instead of NVinjectGo), but I don't know exactly which one..

Hello Macgirl,

what are the differences between both kernel?

Does vanilla kernel remove speed step?

Thanks for your answers

Yes, Vanilla kernel loses the ability of speedstep on hackintoshes.

I really don't like the speedstep because in benchmarks even when I set to the highest setting is a bit slower than no speedstep kernel.

And since I have the lappy connected almost all the time I have no problem with battery life, but is goot to know I can boot anytime with the speedstep one and have more hours.

for Speedstep follow this guide: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2727

download the package linked there, but use the new netkas 9.2 speedstep kernel.

Remember to install NVinject in order tom make NVDAResman work, when you install iTAKOS or Kalyway it install 10.5.1 Nvidia Kexts, but because they don't recognize the Nvidia card yet there is no problem at boot, then before install 10.5.2 update and it's Graphics Update install NVinject, so when the next boot comes there is no problem, notice also when you install 10.5.2 update it need 2 boots to finishes its install, the firs boot it wont show GUI.

Encouraged by the number of success stories and hope to add to them soon.

I successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on my 1530 with vanilla kernel, nvidia (laptop) driver. However, when I went to boot it the load screen with the apple and abstract clock spinner freezes after a few revolutions and never makes it to the desktop. I've searched but can't even find what kind of problem this is indicative of. Any ideas?

Encouraged by the number of success stories and hope to add to them soon.

I successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on my 1530 with vanilla kernel, nvidia (laptop) driver. However, when I went to boot it the load screen with the apple and abstract clock spinner freezes after a few revolutions and never makes it to the desktop. I've searched but can't even find what kind of problem this is indicative of. Any ideas?

Hi Jessie

Try booting with -v as a boot option and see which item the boot stops on. There is a million reasons for a boot to hang.

Good luck.

hi everybody, just wanted to say that macgirl solutions for the nvcap values was good : theses values dodn't worked for me with the nvinjectgo version, but worked with the nvinject.kext !!!! so be careful to include it in the plist file of nvinject and not nvinjectgo ! thanks to macgirl this finally works^^

hoping now for a solution about the incompatibility between netkas kernel and sleep, because sleep is the last thing i really want to get to function in my lappy.

Something i wanted to ask though : about the sensitive buttons for the volume, mute doesn't work and up and down are way to sensitive (moving neraly top to bottom in one touch) is there an explanation, is it the same for everybody ?

hi , finally got my vostro 1400, x3100 graphic got workin ....Finally Sound thorugh SPEAKERS>>>>> :) some times display boots straight into desktop without using sleep display trick ,

thankyou macgirl , and others for your excellent guide..!!..Do you want me to write the step by step procedure of , how i got it done...

if its helpful for anyone, i would love to write

Hey folks,Another m1330 user here. Started with iatkos r1 and am currently running 10.5.2 using Kalyway's combo update. Mostly successful setup (thanks MacGirl). I was really excited to try the new sleep patch. I installed it and my machine will go to sleep. But, when it resumes, I get blue lights and a black screen. I have to hold down power to shut it off. I've tried all of netkas' kernels. And I just re-installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla kernel after reading the messages here, but it doesn't have any effect. In fact, none of the kernels I tried seemed to behave any differently. Do I need to do anything else to use a new kernel besides either replacing /mach_kernel or typing in another kernel name at the boot prompt? Example, I have netkas' 9.2 sleep kernel as /92_sleep and I type 92_sleep at the boot prompt and it boots--is this how it is supposed to work? Thx!Also, my sound only works sometimes. I've tried all the tricks, like setting an Expose corner to Sleep Display, but I've never gotten that to work. Sometimes my audio works from boot (I can hear the noise when I change the volume on the Login Screen), sometimes it doesn't work on boot, but will randomly start working later (especially if I'm on battery), sometimes it doesn't ever work...

Hi Guys, excellent thread as I have solved just about every problem, now I realize this isn't supposed to be the main thread for asking questions but I feel as if I have tried almost everything to get this battery meter working on my m1330. The damn thing just will not show up, I tried the fix from the gentleman with the m1530 and didn't work, I have read through the thread and still nothing will work. I am using the iatkos build using the darwin bootloader and just can't get the battery icon to appear, I looked in the thread you first directed me to in the first post of your compilation thread and tried everything in there and couldnt get it to work. Does anyone with an M1330 have a successful method of getting that battery icon to appear? Thank you so much guys.

My m1330 has been running pretty smooth.

I'm getting 3.5hrs of battery on my 9 cell with sleep working.... not bad at all

I know that we cant do the airport update, but what about the securities update?

Thanks

Yes Security Updates are ok, I installed the timne Machine Update also.

Hey folks,Another m1330 user here. Started with iatkos r1 and am currently running 10.5.2 using Kalyway's combo update. Mostly successful setup (thanks MacGirl). I was really excited to try the new sleep patch. I installed it and my machine will go to sleep. But, when it resumes, I get blue lights and a black screen. I have to hold down power to shut it off. I've tried all of netkas' kernels. And I just re-installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla kernel after reading the messages here, but it doesn't have any effect. In fact, none of the kernels I tried seemed to behave any differently. Do I need to do anything else to use a new kernel besides either replacing /mach_kernel or typing in another kernel name at the boot prompt? Example, I have netkas' 9.2 sleep kernel as /92_sleep and I type 92_sleep at the boot prompt and it boots--is this how it is supposed to work? Thx!Also, my sound only works sometimes. I've tried all the tricks, like setting an Expose corner to Sleep Display, but I've never gotten that to work. Sometimes my audio works from boot (I can hear the noise when I change the volume on the Login Screen), sometimes it doesn't work on boot, but will randomly start working later (especially if I'm on battery), sometimes it doesn't ever work...

After booting the Vanilla kernel you can check if it is really loade, open Terminal (or in single user mode) type "uname -a", if it says "ToH" somewhere is not the Vanilla Kernel, I didn't test the new sleep kerenl 9.2 tho

Hi Guys, excellent thread as I have solved just about every problem, now I realize this isn't supposed to be the main thread for asking questions but I feel as if I have tried almost everything to get this battery meter working on my m1330. The damn thing just will not show up, I tried the fix from the gentleman with the m1530 and didn't work, I have read through the thread and still nothing will work. I am using the iatkos build using the darwin bootloader and just can't get the battery icon to appear, I looked in the thread you first directed me to in the first post of your compilation thread and tried everything in there and couldnt get it to work. Does anyone with an M1330 have a successful method of getting that battery icon to appear? Thank you so much guys.

First of all the tread has no restrictions for asking wuestions, the subforum has (new threads for questions).

I have Battery Meter working

there are 3 thing that you need to check for battery meter:

If you are using Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform you need to install AppleACPIPowerSource.kext (and check that the OSBundleLibraries matche the kexts you have.

If You are using the patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext check that the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext is loaded (with System Profiler or kextstat at terminal), if yes check that you have the patched PowerManagement.bundle installed

On Terminal type "pmset -g" to check your PowerManagement settings and see if there is a "Battery Power" listed.

I have Battery Meter working

there are 3 thing that you need to check for battery meter:

If you are using Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform you need to install AppleACPIPowerSource.kext (and check that the OSBundleLibraries matche the kexts you have.

If You are using the patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext check that the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext is loaded (with System Profiler or kextstat at terminal), if yes check that you have the patched PowerManagement.bundle installed

On Terminal type "pmset -g" to check your PowerManagement settings and see if there is a "Battery Power" listed.

oh ok! Thank you for clarifying that with the questions, I ran kextstat in the terminal and AppleACPIPowerSource.kext is not there, but I believe I did manually add AppleACPIPlatform.kext to my /system/library/extensions folder, and I did copy in the PowerManagement.bundle file into the /system/library/systemconfiguration folder. So I take it I need the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext file? I also typed in pmset -g in terminal, no battery power listed. Macgirl thank you again for taking the time with this.

on a side note, you mention vanilla AppleACPI, that is when I would type in vanilla at the boot loader correct? I believe I installed both kernels when I did my iAtkos installation - if that matters?

EDIT: I showed the package contents of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleACPIPowerSource.kext is in that folder, wow Im an idiot, so I need to make sure the info.plist files match each other to the PowerManagement.bundle file? Is that the area of the .plist file that I need to change from 1.0.0 to 1.1? I believe that is what it mentioned in the PowerManagement.bundle thread I found earlier.

John

oh ok! Thank you for clarifying that with the questions, I ran kextstat in the terminal and AppleACPIPowerSource.kext is not there, but I believe I did manually add AppleACPIPlatform.kext to my /system/library/extensions folder, and I did copy in the PowerManagement.bundle file into the /system/library/systemconfiguration folder. So I take it I need the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext file? I also typed in pmset -g in terminal, no battery power listed. Macgirl thank you again for taking the time with this.

on a side note, you mention vanilla AppleACPI, that is when I would type in vanilla at the boot loader correct? I believe I installed both kernels when I did my iAtkos installation - if that matters?

EDIT: I showed the package contents of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleACPIPowerSource.kext is in that folder, wow Im an idiot, so I need to make sure the info.plist files match each other to the PowerManagement.bundle file? Is that the area of the .plist file that I need to change from 1.0.0 to 1.1? I believe that is what it mentioned in the PowerManagement.bundle thread I found earlier.

John

You can choose whick kernel do you want to boot but not which kexts.

The difference with Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform kexts and the patched ones is that the Vanilla does not have the plugin AppleACPIPowerSource.kext, so you need to put it in the Extensions folder, the patched one already has it, but since the patched was for older versions the OSBudledLibraries don't match.

The OSBundledLibraries need to match other kexts not the PowerManagement.bundle, it's all explained in the firs post, and threre are files already edited to match.

macgirl - sometimes sleep works for me, but usually it either wakes with a black screen or with a 'you must hold down the power button to restart your machine' style error screen.

Im pretty sure Im running the vanilla 10.5.2 kernel, but any idea where I might start checking for this?

Sleep is really the last piece of the puzzle for me.

thanks

EDIT: Ive now tried the '9.2.0 sleep(no speedstep) kernel - http://tinyurl.com/yqrtnt' as found on IRC channel as well as the vanilla 9.2.0 kernel that came with the hacked 10.5.2 combo upgrade (is this the same kernel that comes with Apple's 10.5.2 upgrade?) and still sleep doesnt work. Ive heard 9.2.2 kernel mentioned, is this what I need?

Macgirl, you also mentioned patched kexts for Sigmatel sound - where can I find this? Ive got AppleHDA installed and sound works but glitches for some stuff so Im wondering if the kexts will work better.

So close to having my 10.5.2 working!

9.2.2 kernel comes with the latest Time Machine update (notice that it will overwrite mac_kernel and system.kext, so make your backups befor installing)

I don't know which kernels come wiht the hacked update, I installed mine with the original Apple update, I think that the hacked update does not updates the kernel because there is a kernels package from Kaly.

Patched AppleHDA.kext is linked in the first post as STAC9228_0x83847616.zip

You can choose whick kernel do you want to boot but not which kexts.

The difference with Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform kexts and the patched ones is that the Vanilla does not have the plugin AppleACPIPowerSource.kext, so you need to put it in the Extensions folder, the patched one already has it, but since the patched was for older versions the OSBudledLibraries don't match.

The OSBundledLibraries need to match other kexts not the PowerManagement.bundle, it's all explained in the firs post, and threre are files already edited to match.

Ok so I really think I screwed this one up, I DL'd the ACPI.kext the (already patched) deleted the original ACPI.kext and used KextHelper B7 to load the patched kext, should I have manually put that file in to /system/library/extensions folder instead of using kext helper? I also added the PowerManagement.bundle the one from the link in the first post to the /systemconfiguration folder...now I get the no smoking sign on startup.

I'm thinking if you don't mind about just taking this from the start with re-installing OSX from the iAtkos dvd, since I terribly screwed up other things as well and would like to start fresh on the same install options as you. The options I have selected are iAtkos v.1.0i main system, then under bootloader should I have DarwinX86 and Darwin EFI and the options under that selected, or just DarwinX86? Did you happen to have any options selected under patches or drivers? I used the nvidia video package in the first post and it worked out great so I figured I didn't need anything frm the CD video wise. Basically it would just be awesome if you let me know which options you used for installation and then the quick fix for battery, I think the fact I copies over the file with kexthelper screwed me up, Thank you!

Happy easter by the way!

Happy Easter Insanelymac!!!!!

How do I add my wireless connection back to my menu bar because I installed that IONetworkingFamily.kext to fix time machine and now I have to manually connect to a network using system preferences, networking panel.