[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

So you can also add me to the list of people who have sleep working (vostro 1400). I think I have found a repeatable way to get it working though there is probably a better way.

So I had an iatkos 1.0 install then I used the kalyway combo update with the kalyway kernel pack to udate to 10.5.2.

Then I ran one of the various nvidia installers (I think these kexts are somehow required for sleep)

Then I ran the script posted here answering yes to everything except write new MBR and TOH kernel. i do not really know how much of this (if any) is necesary.

Then I had to run the 10.5.2 kernel installer again or at least the package inside the kalyway kernel package that actually installs the kernels

Now hopefully I didn't forget something and your computer still runs. The thing that finally fixed sleep for me was replacing my appleacpiplatform.kext with the one that I uploaded. This might be included in the script folder (but not installed) but I can't remember so I'm uploading it anyway. If it is not in there I have no idea where I got it from. Just so you know it is version 1.05 so if you try using it without doing the above steps you may have to edit the info.plist of other kexts as macgirl has said.

I should probably say that I have two OS X installs on separate partitions so running the install packages was easier for me.

Also this does not ruin the battery meter.

So anyway sleep works nicely and wakes up reliably except that it "does not properly eject usb mass storage devices." Since people have said usb causes sleep to not work, that could be the reason why sleep is working for me.

AppleACPIPlatform.zip

IMPORTANT: CLICKING HARD DRIVES

Many hard drives shipped lately with laptops click a bit too much - it's the headers going to sleep and waking immediately after.

This can have serious consequences, as the number of clicks is limited with corresponding loss of lifetime!

All operating systems except windows are affected:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/a...port/+bug/59695 (all the details, analisys, estimates of damage,solutions for linux)

The bug stems from an incorrect setting in the HDD firmware, making it sleep too often. All operating systems follow the hardware defaults - except for windows , the only unaffected by this problem.

There's a way to make it stop:

In linux: hdparm -B 200 /dev/sda (if your disk is sda)

In MacOs: download hdapm (http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/) and have it run at startup, it will disable the clicking

I have a vostro 1500, in a couple of weeks of clicking (using ubuntu) there went 10% of the lifetime of the disk, this shouldn't be taken lightly.

Please,  Macgirl, add some of this info to your first post!

IMPORTANT: CLICKING HARD DRIVES

Many hard drives shipped lately with laptops click a bit too much - it's the headers going to sleep and waking immediately after...

Doesn't seem to work on my m1330,

[root@Hackintosh:~]# hdapm disk0 max

disk0: SAMSUNG HM160HI

Setting APM level to 0xfe: FAILED: APM not supported

[root@Hackintosh:~]#

:( mine doesn't seem to click that much anyway..

On my Vostro 1400, it seems that my CPU utilization seems consistently high. As I use just safari i can see the CPU % shoot up to 50% and stay around there. Anyone else noticing these on their hackintosh? I am wondering if it is due to my 1.4GHz CPU or just the fact is a hackintosh. Seems to run fine under Vista.

Let me know :D

Ok, I got a Dell Inspiron 1720 with a 8600M vid card. I got everything up and running fine, But when I play WoW ( I know another WoW player) I only get 5 to 6 FPS now matter what settings I change in game. I have also tried all the drivers that me and my buddy can find. Anyone got any info to fix this problem? So far WoW is the only game that i have tried. I will not try others till I get this working ( wife also plays WoW, so it's priority) thx much :)

EDIT: Ok I fixed the problem. I read in an earlier post on this thread about audio not working and reading that putting the laptop in sleep mode for a few seconds would fix the problem with audio. I figure I would give it a shot for the Video, and sure enough it worked. So if you are getting low frames rates from games try sleep mode, it may just fix the problem. If this was already posted ,I apologize for the redundancy.

I installed Kalyway twice one with 10.5.2 update and later without it, same results, wakes instantly after pressing the apple menu/sleep.

Then on my orignal Install Disk I move out the AppleUSBEHCI.kext (plugin of IOUSBFamily.kext) and now I can make the lappy sleep, of course without that kexts all USB devices are like a USB 1.0 (12Mbit max).

So if that does not bother you, you can move out that kext and get propper sleep

I will try other EHCI kexts, also investigate if sources permit modifications to change behavior.

but will a fix be released because if we can't have USB 2.0 it's not very cool!

Does that fix reboot/shutdown too?

And is it due to our vostro/inspiron or is it due to the 8600m GT?

Thanks for your answers

It does not fix the shutdown/reboot problem.

the shutdown/reboot issue has to do with the Nvidia kexts, whithout them loaded it shutdown or reboot fine.

Fortunately the USB kexts have sources available, unfornately my programming skills are not that good to change them easily :(

So if anyone has programm skills there is a thread of PC-Gen USB EHCI kext here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28559

Mac's are good looking, they work... my computer with OS X is always crashing, or not working.. due to it not being a real mac.... If I had a Mac, I would have a perfect laptop.

ummmm, the m1330 works with what its SUPPOSED to work for... windows. You should never assume osx86 will run without any problems. After updating to 10.5.2, I do not get ANY crashes at all.

The only time osx86 (10.5.2) crashes complety when i'm using Itunes and start importing music. Any of you have the same experience?

Mine only crashes about 1/2 the time... when I resume from sleep.. the mouse moves but the keyboard wont work, nor can the mouse click... oddly enough if I hit the power button it asks me what I want to do, sleep, reboot etc.

Hi evry one ....Firstly thank you, every one in this thread , speciallly MacGirl for your tremendous job,I was able to run Leo on my lappy ..without a single post ..jus reading evry one else's contributions...so very thankful to you guyz..Basically this is what i did, iAtkos with jus (darwin Boot loader customization)2.removed nvdaresman.kext , and other x3100 kexts by booting -s option3. copied and installed Apple Intel (AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, etc) from a real Leopard 10.5.2, and along with pulicats Natit.kext4 .With sleep display trick i could see the beautiful Leo runnig wih Wifii out of boxthe problem i have now is , if i load AppleIntelFramebuffer.kext , i could not boot, but when i remove that i see teh GUI , but the menubar's are verry distorted .. here is a pic of my desktop when i try to pull some menu from the "taskbar"i get a highly distorted images....can some one help me fix this framebuffer problem, (and i would be happy if it is possible to hear sound from speakers)Dell Vostro 1400 , with iAtkos 10.5.1 and with 10.5.2 Intel kextsguys this is my screen shottVisit My Website

So if anyone has programm skills there is a thread of PC-Gen USB EHCI kext here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28559

I did what was suggested on that page and removed check for sleep capabilities, and voila. It simply just sleeps. You can try and see if it works for you.

A newer with installer is here.

SuperhaiPCGenUSBEHCI.tar.gz

Thanks Superhai wil test it ASAP.

More good news DUAL Monitor on 8400 possible, I tested 2 NVCAP values:

from desktop 8400gs

property list editor mode:

text editor mode:

BAAAAAAAAgANAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

EDIT:

This allow you to have the Internal LCD, and DVI via HDMI conector or VGA

text editor mode:

BAAAAAAAAQAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=

from other user card, Dual display with VGA, LCD primary:

text editor mode:

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

Picture_1.png

Those values can be in NVinject, NvinjectGo Natit and also it can be converted in a gfx string and added to the com.apple.Boot.plist

here is mine:

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

from desktop 8400gs

propert list editor mode:

<04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000>

text editor mode:

<04000000 00000200 0D000000 00000007 00000000>

text editor mode:

post-123-1205615492_thumb.png

Those values can be in NVinject, NvinjectGo Natit and also it can be converted in a gfx string and added to the com.apple.Boot.plist

here is mine:

SWEET, add it to the guide!

I did what was suggested on that page and removed check for sleep capabilities, and voila I don't get any wake request. It simply just sleeps. You can try and see if it works for you.
Thanks Superhai, simply replaced kext file on my Vostro 1500 and sleep mode starts fine, but wakeup doesn't work. Screen stays black.I did not check network IO to make a ssh login to see if the display is the only sleeping device.

Did anybody try to male express card slot work? Do they work on Dell XPS M1330 or M1530? Chun-Nan released a driver for serveral chipsets, but I cound not find my R5C843 Vendor 1180 Device ID 0843 in his plist.Chun-Nan Cardbus driver thread Can anybody help? I do not know how to insert my device ID to the source code correct.

i just wanted to thank you macgirl and superhai because that's a great breakthourgh, 2 new functionallity added and a laptop closer and closer each day to a real macbook, functionnalitty and everything added ^^ so thanks again for all your effort.

from desktop 8400gs

<04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000>

text editor mode:

<04000000 00000200 0D000000 00000007 00000000>

text editor mode:

post-123-1205615492_thumb.png

here is mine:

The Boot.plist you attached makes my external display working in dual mode but mirror made fails. The laptop's screen goes Black nothing is displayed except the mouse pointer, the external display works.

The original Boot.plist in your older posts didn't work at all for me.