How do you say the "X" in OS X?

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you say the "X" in OS X? (1842 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you say the "X" in OS X?

1. X...as in the letter. (1295 votes [67.52%])

Percentage of vote: 67.52%

2. 10...as in the number. (623 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

glufx

glufx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I say 10, because that's what it is. Period.

xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
its said as OS 10 or ten. it sounds noobish and dumb when you here some kid saying "hey i have os X installed"

PowerMac

PowerMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually, as a real mac person myself, you would say

Mac O S Ten point 4

or just Tiger.

Everyone in Macworld assumes that you have the latest updates. Apple updates aren't like Microsoft updates, Apple updates actually do positive things (unlike SP2!!).

[PM]

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
Mac O S Ten dot Four dot three, build eight F one one one one, or it is eleven eleven? :dev:

winston10

winston10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh es iks, i would say, because in german it doesn't really matter, and it sounds more professional, oh es zehn sounds a bit lame!

pflatline

pflatline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

I'd like to know precisely how many, because I was a thin {censored} until I moved in with my girlfriend and got engaged :?

Bet she cooks foir you huh? Without her,you just sit in front of your computer all day,without food,or hygine,just typing away...

pflatline

pflatline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

ok then... how do u pronounce linux?

and cache?

never know how to use those two words in real speech lol

Linux is pronounced like little or lynda. There is only one correct way to say it because its based on Linus torvalds name. (Not Linus from charlie brown =) )

Cache. This is pronounced like cash rash, and bash. Again there is ONLY one way to correctly pronounce it. Its not CAY-SH or CASH-AYE. This one is actually worse to misprounounce becuase its not a word someone in the tech industry made up. Its the same word such as "arms cashe" or "supplies cashe". It refers to a place for hiding or storing things. We dont see a general on CNN telling us how the marines in Iraq found and destroyed a munitions cach-ay. If you mispronounce Linux, it was something someone made up, so you really cant be faulted for not knowing. If you mispronounce cache,its something you didnt know about your native language (unless its not your native language,in which case I applaud you for even speaking a second language and I dont think anyone can fault you on any of your errors)

CFran

CFran

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Linux is pronounced like little or lynda. There is only one correct way to say it because its based on Linus torvalds name. (Not Linus from charlie brown =) )

Cache. This is pronounced like cash rash, and bash. Again there is ONLY one way to correctly pronounce it. Its not CAY-SH or CASH-AYE. This one is actually worse to misprounounce becuase its not a word someone in the tech industry made up. Its the same word such as "arms cashe" or "supplies cashe". It refers to a place for hiding or storing things. We dont see a general on CNN telling us how the marines in Iraq found and destroyed a munitions cach-ay. If you mispronounce Linux, it was something someone made up, so you really cant be faulted for not knowing. If you mispronounce cache,its something you didnt know about your native language (unless its not your native language,in which case I applaud you for even speaking a second language and I dont think anyone can fault you on any of your errors)

aha, reminds me that i didnt know how to pronounce linux either, but hey, i'm french, so bow down to me cuz i can speak a second language :(. but thanks cuz now i know how to pronounce it. btw, how do you pronounce "dude"?

pflatline

pflatline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Microsuck Windows :)

(offtopic)

??!! Are you just ignorant or brain damage. Everyone knows how to pronounce that correctly. Its pronounced..... Winslowz. ;-)

aha, reminds me that i didnt know how to pronounce linux either, but hey, i'm french, so bow down to me cuz i can speak a second language :(. but thanks cuz now i know how to pronounce it. btw, how do you pronounce "dude"?

the u in dood is pronounced like rude or the oo in tool. Rude,dude,lewd,crude. All the same sound.

" Like Duuuuuuuude! ,check it out!!" (you imagine this guy with long blond hair,in shorts with a surf board.)

johnniecarcinogen

johnniecarcinogen

Yellow Box

• Gurus
  • 746 posts
i like the way 'onomatopoeia' is pronounced. i digress. :star_smile:

Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:OS X, Win, *NIX, meeting friends, movies, music, food, kickboarding
i say X as letter, i know its for the roman number 10, but X just sounds way cooler.
i heard some apple dude saying X as letter as well in the intro video of Panther. That was an awsome video.

-fm

regularg0nz0

regularg0nz0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.<br /><br /><br />Oh! And things!

How the hell did this poll get so.... wrong?

Jobs himself has stated more times than I care to remember that the correct pronunciation is "Mac OS Ten"

yes... and the day Mr. Jobs is the majority customer and user of OS-X, I'll be happy to call it by whatever he deems the "proper" name to be.

Until then, as you can see, the majority like "X", and if I'm going to communicate with the majority, I'm going to use their lingo, regardless of what's considered correct in some official capacity.

Guest: terry_*

Guest: terry_*
  • Guests

Until then, as you can see, the majority like "X",

The majority of people posting in this thread, yes, but not necessarily out there in "real life". It was in this thread that I heard people pronouning it like "ex" for the very first time. Anyway, call it like you want.

Ouch

Ouch

Weee, what a predicament!

• Retired
  • 1,190 posts
OS ten dot four (never say "point")
Lye-nux (my friend called Linus pronounces his name lye-nus)
Cash.

How about Router - Rooter or Rowter?

iMaurice

iMaurice

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
ex because noobs say ex :(

wesley

wesley

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
It's intended to be pronounced as 'ten' so preferably it should be followed as such. But... as you can see the majority of the.. um.. people interested in OS X doesn't seem to realize this, likely because they haven't seen, used or cared for the PREVIOUS Mac OS release, called... you guessed it.. OS 9. As a natural progression of version number it would've been written as OS 10 but then that doesn't 'look cool', you know? So off they went with Roman numerals, but they expect you to pronounce it as if it's OS 10.

The consequences of the Roman numerals go beyond just having multitude of people (incorrectly) pronouncing the name, but there are also some weird bunch who understand that X stands for '10', but makes the mistake of writing the version number as, for example, X.4.3. Perhaps if you're just SAYING out loud it might be okay to say 'oh ess ten dot four dot three' ('ten' dropped for redundancy) but it should be WRITTEN as 'OS X 10.4.3'.

Yeah, it's pretty whacked. Oh, and then there are folks who write it as 'OSX' and/or 'OS-X' which, I'm sure, purist Mac zealots would gasp in horror upon seeing such blasphemy. Hehe.

Arterion

Arterion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am confused as to why the predecessor to OS X wasn't OS IX. But it wasn't, it was OS 9. And before that, it was OS 8, and not OS VIII. While people may say the X is a roman numeral, I see no evidence of that, based on the fact that none of the other versions have used roman numerals.

In other words, it most certainly is OS ten (you can see the actual version NUMBER), but it's named OS X. If all the previous versions had used roman numerals, then it would make some sense to correct people saying "os 'ex'", but since none of them did, it seems like a rather normal assumption to think, "gee, if they wanted me saying 10, they'd put a one and a zero, and follow the paradigm set by all their previous versions. hmm, I guess version 10 is called os 'ex'."

So, no, it's not "stupid" of people to call it os "ex", it's stupid of apple to, for no apparent reason, switch to roman numerals.

iMaurice

iMaurice

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

I am confused as to why the predecessor to OS X wasn't OS IX. But it wasn't, it was OS 9. And before that, it was OS 8, and not OS VIII. While people may say the X is a roman numeral, I see no evidence of that, based on the fact that none of the other versions have used roman numerals.

In other words, it most certainly is OS ten (you can see the actual version NUMBER), but it's named OS X. If all the previous versions had used roman numerals, then it would make some sense to correct people saying "os 'ex'", but since none of them did, it seems like a rather normal assumption to think, "gee, if they wanted me saying 10, they'd put a one and a zero, and follow the paradigm set by all their previous versions. hmm, I guess version 10 is called os 'ex'."

So, no, it's not "stupid" of people to call it os "ex", it's stupid of apple to, for no apparent reason, switch to roman numerals.

The X also comes from *nix

bluedragon1971

bluedragon1971

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

I say it as "OS X". If jobs wanted people to say OS 10, he would have named it that! :)

That's odd you think that way, since Steve Jobs says OS 10 every time he talks about it.

Mac O S Ten dot Four dot three, build eight F one one one one, or it is eleven eleven? :lol:

Personally, I would say eleven eleven, just as I would say the previous build as ten ninety-nine.

The X also comes from *nix

Exactly, they switched to Roman numerals with the switch to a Unix base. If you really want to get technical, it's really Darwin version 8.4 anyway (well, for 10.4.4 at least), which is where the initial 8 in the build numbers comes from. Here is a link that explains the relationship between OS X versions and Darwin versions: Apple Darwin Releases

Darktear

Darktear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Just to share my opinion on this :police: I say X instead of ten and I say OS like a word not like O S :P

Mac OS X ten.four.four

Mac OS X Tiger

That just sounds stylish :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy