• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

spanakorizo

spanakorizo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
what would be the perfect choise to run protools in my hack?
i need hardware if i remember, otherwise protools won't start
the most cheap solution (emulator??? :))

I used to work with it in my xjob that they own mac and now when i need to edit, i miss it

mysoundeditor

mysoundeditor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
dont know of an emulator, but you can get a cheap used mbox on ebay or your local pawn shop, i have seen for as little as 50bucks, then use 7.4.2 UB protools installer and you have the newest or very new (version 8 is available soon or now)
an emulator for connected hardware would be cool.

mysoundeditor

mysoundeditor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
It used to work fine.
I am using Pro Tools 7.4.2 and 10.5.4 and it seems to work ok, but if i start editing regions, the system will start to produce white noise (hiss) on playback with nothing audible but noise.
I have to quit protools then launch it again, but the duration seems to shorten til it happens again unless i reboot the computer.
I dont know if this is something new, i had pulled many regions in before without this happening. And i notice now, my USB connected Realtek WLan keeps dropping out. And i have to restart it. And if i am recording in protools, restarting the realtek causes a usb interrupt in protools and drops the recording.
I am curious if they are related.
I just did a clean format reinstall of 10.5.4 and the problem still exists.

MILAN0

MILAN0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

It used to work fine.
I am using Pro Tools 7.4.2 and 10.5.4 and it seems to work ok, but if i start editing regions, the system will start to produce white noise (hiss) on playback with nothing audible but noise.
I have to quit protools then launch it again, but the duration seems to shorten til it happens again unless i reboot the computer.
I dont know if this is something new, i had pulled many regions in before without this happening. And i notice now, my USB connected Realtek WLan keeps dropping out. And i have to restart it. And if i am recording in protools, restarting the realtek causes a usb interrupt in protools and drops the recording.
I am curious if they are related.
I just did a clean format reinstall of 10.5.4 and the problem still exists.

What is your hardware? Firstly I mean motheboard.
What is your Pro Tools Version and digidesign hardware?

Kaz Muzik

Kaz Muzik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Sorry. Havent been on here in a while.

To answer your question - no I never did solve the problem. I kinda gave up in the end. I just dont use my iLok plugs on the OS X partition. Funny thing is, they work fine on the XP partition with ProTools. Very weird.

Are you having a similar problem?

I have a similar problem, too.
I noticed it recently with Pro Tools LE 8, but I am not sure for Pro Tools LE 7.4.2.
It asks to purchase license for some plug-ins, and for other plug-ins, it is OK once I authorize with iLok runtime but every time Pro Tools restarted.
I experienced this problem with Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, but it was fine with GA-EP45-UD3P.

mysoundeditor

mysoundeditor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

What is your hardware? Firstly I mean motheboard.
What is your Pro Tools Version and digidesign hardware?

I am using asus p5w dh deluxe, mbox

i think i figured the software problem out.
it was a beta version of protools 7.4.2

i havent tried the newest download of 7.4.2 yet, maybe soon.

i have just hooked my hardware back to my PC and i get no glitch noises.

THEHAWKs

THEHAWKs

The UnKnown Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I'm Running Pro Tools M-Powered 8 with a ProjectMix I/O , Delta 1010LT and Axiom 61 keyboard on my intel i7 setup check SIG. everything is working Great

GhaleonX

GhaleonX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Hi Woj,
As I understand the cheapest ProTools is the M-Powered one.
ProTools M-Powered doesn't need any dongle. Just many plug ins and Digidesign options like DV Toolkit 2.0 or Music Production Toolkit.

Are you sure, cause I set up a friend's hackintosh, and found the M-Powered version of PT (7.3), but it needs the iLok dongle to run. My LE, however, runs fine (no dongle, save for certain plugins).

As for my own performance, LE 7.4 ran fine; I just installed 8 and it seemed to be working fine, but when I tried to do it the other day, it had problems, though I'm pretty sure it's something I did/didn't do that did it (if that makes sense :P)

Interestingly, on the setup I'm talking about (SSE2 only), the Voodoo does quite nicely, as I had PT8 working (when it was) better than it did on the windows partition on the same hardware. Most likely due to the wonderful SSE3 emulation :rolleyes:

cordomac

cordomac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I'm Running Pro Tools M-Powered 8 with a ProjectMix I/O , Delta 1010LT and Axiom 61 keyboard on my intel i7 setup check SIG. everything is working Great

Hi Thehawks

Reading your post i wondered if you were running onder x86 Leopard or the real Thing, now...i have a Intel MBoard dg31pr with a Delta 66, but i haven't been able to make it work on OSX x86 10.5.6 ( IDENEB ), as the 1010lt is from thesame family than mine i love to know what was the driver that you used...

I hope you can guide me

greattings and thanks a lot

Gonzalo Cordovez

http://www.myspace.c...ordovezgangband

hg2007

hg2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Hi Thehawks

Reading your post i wondered if you were running onder x86 Leopard or the real Thing, now...i have a Intel MBoard dg31pr with a Delta 66, but i haven't been able to make it work on OSX x86 10.5.6 ( IDENEB ), as the 1010lt is from thesame family than mine i love to know what was the driver that you used...

I hope you can guide me

greattings and thanks a lot

Gonzalo Cordovez

http://www.myspace.c...ordovezgangband

http://www.audio-evo...on.com/drivers/

willpower101

willpower101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

http://www.audio-evo...on.com/drivers/

that driver only works to get the delta 66 running in osx, it does not enable the control panel or get it compatible with pro tools as the delta pci card series is not currently supported in intel based macs, only the firewire series. This is really killing me, as I bought that card and can only use it in windows.

hg2007

hg2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

that driver only works to get the delta 66 running in osx, it does not enable the control panel or get it compatible with pro tools as the delta pci card series is not currently supported in intel based macs, only the firewire series. This is really killing me, as I bought that card and can only use it in windows.

Unless m audio make an official intel driver, there's probably little hope.

JustinAiken

JustinAiken

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I'm running PT8 with a 002R, works better on the Mac side than on XP!

Including all plugins I want to use, and my iLok.

willpower101

willpower101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I'm running PT8 with a 002R, works better on the Mac side than on XP!

Including all plugins I want to use, and my iLok.

yeah that's because it'a firewire card. It's well established that those work and drivers are supported for them :D

wasdavedead

wasdavedead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I always get the hardwAre buffer error. I tried playing with all the playback settings. I know its not the hardwarebecause it works great on win7 64 bit. I tried pro toold 7.4 and8 but no luck.

penarol

penarol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi Folks!!!!

I´ve working Protools 8 and mbox mini with ideneb 10.5.8 because i have a lot of problems with xp
Everything is ok here

The windows wdm driver don ´t work fine but coreaudio work flawless.

i wait this is helpful for you

Jordi

JustinAiken

JustinAiken

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

I always get the hardwAre buffer error. I tried playing with all the playback settings. I know its not the hardwarebecause it works great on win7 64 bit. I tried pro toold 7.4 and8 but no luck.

Try setting RTAS processors from 8 to 4.

SnoopDuJour

SnoopDuJour

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a EP45T-UD3LR QuadCore 6600 running at 2.4. I am running Retail OS X 10.6.1. Pro Tools 8.0.3pr. (Mbox 2 was not seen in the audio until I installed the PreRelease)
I had to uninstall, and reinstall without CoreAudio. Mbox 2 drivers work perfectly. All plugins, plus my VST from Fender's Amplitude 1.0 as a plugin.
Works Great now.
My HP G70 Laptop with iATKOS v.7 runs 8.0 right out of the box.
Sweet application. Love the keyboards, guitar amps, and the built in drum machines. TR707, TR808, TR909, and more. Plus Torq LE (DJ app) which I haven't checked out.
Black Friday was good to me. (Mbox 2, Nova Mic, M-audio 410 Powered Speakers, and PT8 for $425.00 Retail)

nslsa66

nslsa66

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I finally had it with the stability of running Pro Tools on a PC. Kept my hardware and switched my OS to Snow Leopard - couldn't be happier. System has been perfectly stable 2 weeks running. Install went very smoothly using the empire boot disc. Here's my build:

I7 2.66 Processor
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
Galaxy Nvidia 9500GT (Running 2 displays, and it was a piece of cake...plug and play)
6GB Corsair Dominator Memory
WD Blue 320GB System Drive
Velociraptor 10,000 RPM Audio Drive
Snow Leopard 10.6.2

While Pro Tools 7.4 LE isn't officially supported by Snow Leopard, I was able to run it, but it was a little buggy. DO NOT install the 7.4.2 update if you plan on running 7.4. This update will crash your computer, and you will have to go into safe mode to uninstall the update. I'm now running PT 8.0.3, and it runs like a dream.

Initial Benchmark using geek bench, was a hair over 9100. Not bad, considering an out of the box Entry level Mac Pro ($2500+Tax) is right around 8300. I'll keep everyone posted if theres a change in stability of my OS\PT.

zxspectrum

zxspectrum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all

I´ve spend many hours the last two years searching for topics related to the Pro Tools on a hack.
So i feel like sharing ;)

Here is what i´ve learned in short terms:

I tried many mobos and versions efi,iatkos, etc. but returned to the Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR every time.

I have successfully run Mbox (old one usb) Digi 03 with PT LE 6.7 /7.3 / 7.4 and HD 2 (PCI- not pcie) with PT 8 and had no problems.
I have run Adobe Master collection on Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR (small problem with onboard sound - fixed with usb soundcard mbox)
Final Cut Pro 7 same problem with sound... (fixed again using mbox as source for sound)
I own several mac´s but find more comfort in building crossovers simply of the reason that apple don´t allow you their great OS on other machines than their own.

making music and film or photography demands special solutions and putting my Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR in a server case protected in an alu flightcase just makes me feel better in field work ...

The next build is a Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L with a Intel Core i7 860 / 2.8 GHz Processor pumped with 16 gb ddr3 ram
this one will be running a HD3(PCI) PT 8 within the next week or two (apple seem to forget that HD3 needs 3 pci slots )
Now this is not an 8-core but running HD3 PT8 distributes most processing to the HD cards ;O) and the HD PCI cards can be found cheap on ebay and other places, and they do a great job....great job.
one thing to keep in mind is that you should choose a good Firewire 400/800 pci or pcie card if running digi 03, 02 or other FW soundcard.
this was my biggest mistake using the cheapest FW card i could find and using the same one in 3 builds before i found out that the now trashed card was the bottleneck of problems.

Has anyone run HD3/PCI on a hack?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy