How to make Mac OSx86 Legal (or at least somewhat legal)

~pcwiz

40 posts in this topic

OK, there were 2 problems with Mac OSx86 that made it illegal:

1) We were downloading copyrighted torrents from the net

2) EULA states that it can only be installed on "Apple labelled" equipment

The torrent thing is solved with Leopard now that we can actually use Retail DVDs (that we bought) and patch them with Brazilmac.

The Apple labelled problem is solved too, now thanks to a tip by nano2d!

All you have to do, is take the Apple stickers that come with OS X (or buy one from eBay) and stick it on your hackintosh. There, now the EULA says that it can only be installed on Apple labelled equipment and your hackintosh is "labelled" Apple equipment so that problem is solved!

Ha ha ingenious idea nano2d.

:(

pcwiz

There's nothing illegal about downloading software you own a license to use. After all, you don't own the software, only a license to use it, and thus how you get hold of it is irrelevant.

And the clause requiring installation on Apple labelled hardware would be laughed out of court in most countries where, very sensibly, reverse engineering to allow compatibility is legal.

Of course, in the USA you're breaking DMCA, although whether the DMCA itself is constitutional is another issue altogether...

It affects everyone in the United States. It's just that the recording, movie, and software companies think that their {censored} copy protection will suddenly become effective if they throw the DMCA in enough people's faces.

There are exceptions to every rule, we just need to find them. The one actual illegal thing we are doing with OSx86 is modifying system files to allow beige-box installations, and that's forbidden in the EULA. But with the advent of pc_efi, this can legal pretty quick...

You can buy an Apple computer and replace all it's parts there is nothing about replacing or adding parts, right?

What is the cheapest out there? Apple II, Macintosh 128 ?

I added a MotherBoard with disks to my Macintosh IIsi, and I added a backup laptop to my PowerBook :wacko:

There's nothing illegal about downloading software you own a license to use. After all, you don't own the software, only a license to use it, and thus how you get hold of it is irrelevant.

It is illegal if you upload to others who dont posses a licence through bittorent.

Lets get serious for a second.. It's all nice & funny & all, but please don't think this "sticker" ploy has anything other than entertainment value.

There are issues with the SLA, the EULA, the APSL, and various anti-reverse-engineering legislation around the world that mean OS X on non-apple hardware *may possibly* be done legally *in certain jurisdictions*. This amusing phraseology doesn't enter into it.

It's a bit like the 6-year-old who thinks a police badge makes him a cop.

fwiw, I have a harddrive here with an official apple logo on it from the factory, and an identical model without.. would booting from one be more legal than the other?

:wacko: those are collectables.. G3's however, are to be had for free from junkyards, recyclers & scrapheaps :D
Sometimes I see a G4 PowerMac (grey one) here at the office, they use it as part of a office stage of a soap opera that's filmed here.Maybe some day I'll steal it :blink:
Lets get serious for a second.. It's all nice & funny & all, but please don't think this "sticker" ploy has anything other than entertainment value.
oops, sorry, I didn't see this, just after I replied the other :D

• 1 month later...

Apple uses EFI to boot their software? Yes?

if we had the same or near enough the same hardwae, and by near enough i mean calling your AMD MSI mobo an accessory to your new iMac, and added a few kext then its just personalising your comp..yes? no?

there is gonna be a loophole somwhere, we just need to find it before apple do...

Putting everything in an old G5 pro case, big old TFT monitor from Apple, and bob's your uncle, loophole... just keep your gob shut about that fudging 5600+ CPU you run on....-_-

Think Mark

It's funny how badly you guys try to justify this. Just like with piracy. It's wrong and you keep trying to make it right.

You do realize that this is mainly just a joke right? Of course piracy can't be justified. But, if you go into a store, buy a legal copy of Leopard, and patch it to work on your hack, it isn't piracy is it? But the EULA still says that you can't run it on non Apple hardware I guess...