How to make Mac OSx86 Legal (or at least somewhat legal)

~pcwiz

40 posts in this topic

OK, there were 2 problems with Mac OSx86 that made it illegal:

1) We were downloading copyrighted torrents from the net

2) EULA states that it can only be installed on "Apple labelled" equipment

The torrent thing is solved with Leopard now that we can actually use Retail DVDs (that we bought) and patch them with Brazilmac.

The Apple labelled problem is solved too, now thanks to a tip by nano2d!

All you have to do, is take the Apple stickers that come with OS X (or buy one from eBay) and stick it on your hackintosh. There, now the EULA says that it can only be installed on Apple labelled equipment and your hackintosh is "labelled" Apple equipment so that problem is solved!

Ha ha ingenious idea nano2d.

:P

pcwiz

How about installing OS X on an iPod hard drive? I don't know if this is possible - I only know that you can clone an image of the OS X Install DVD onto it, so it should be possible to clone a bootable OS X installation to it, too.

@Cyman,

Yes, its very possible. Just put the iPod into disk mode and it acts just like an external hard drive so its confirmed possible, but the iPod hard drive just can't handle all the stress of the constant reading and writing and it will fail very soon if you continue to use it as a Mac OS X drive. Although I do agree that the idea of going to any computer, plugging in an iPod, and booting OS X with all your apps and files is ultra cool :blink:

Within the United States, it is still illegal to run OS X from your home brewed PC via an ipod hard drive. The ipod can get your around the "apple branded hardware" statement in the EULA, but you still need to run the decrypter (dsmos.kext) to get it working. Decrypting is a violation of the DMCA. Outside the US you can do far better. EULAs are meaningless is many places and there isn't a DMCA equivalent in every country.

You want to make it legal... move to a country with loosey goosey IP laws.

Here is a thought, go out & buy a HDD from any manufacturer other than Apple or an external HDD supplied by the Apple store but not manufactured by Apple, put it in your Mac Pro (or connect to) then install OSX on it. Is OSX running on non Apple hardware and therefore illegal?? Where does running OSX on non std hardware stop & start?

Apple Labelled Hardware? No.

well then a G4 that I looked inside of is illegal then, because one of the chips is labled "Hong Kong Telecom" and that is not apple, in fact the apple lable was nowhere to be seen inside.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a thought, go out & buy a HDD from any manufacturer other than Apple or an external HDD supplied by the Apple store but not manufactured by Apple, put it in your Mac Pro (or connect to) then install OSX on it. Is OSX running on non Apple hardware and therefore illegal?? Where does running OSX on non std hardware stop & start?

Your idea made me think of another, newly introduced product which could also serve for this purpose (besides of an iPod used as a hard disk): Time Capsule. I didn't look over the specifications though - I don't know if it's just useable as a backup solution or also as a regular (wireless?) hard drive. If latter is possible, then you could proceed just as you you would with the iPod and you should be fine!

• 3 weeks later...

Now see, that makes no sense. Why should Mac OS be limited to their "precious" PC's?

Legal or not, I run it because I wanted to "try" OS X, how is that wrong?

but the iPod hard drive just can't handle all the stress of the constant reading and writing and it will fail very soon if you continue to use it as a Mac OS X drive.

You know, people have been making this BS statement for years now, and Apple has gone and proven all of you wrong by using the exact same hard drives in the Macbook Air.

Now see, that makes no sense. Why should Mac OS be limited to their "precious" PC's?

Legal or not, I run it because I wanted to "try" OS X, how is that wrong?

Wrong is not the issue. Right and wrong, good and bad, these are dichotomies which are loosely defined and take shape according to both context and individual preference. They are in no way similar to legal and illegal, which are both precisely and clearly defined within the policy that comes with Mac OS X.

You may argue that Apple is wrong and that you are justified, but that basis puts nothing forth in making this matter legal.

Follow?

All you have to do, is take the Apple stickers that come with OS X (or buy one from eBay) and stick it on your hackintosh.

I hope you weren't trying to be serious when you said that :)

You may argue that Apple is wrong and that you are justified, but that basis puts nothing forth in making this matter legal.

Well said! A judge would laugh them right out of court :D

LOL :( I didn't know this thread even existed until today. I made a throwaway comment about the stickers months ago - the fact that they come in the retail Leopard pack.

I doubt very much that either:

A - the EULA stands up without the DMCA to reinforce it

B - the EULA stands up at all outside of the USA

But if it came to a fight between me and a team of Apple's Legal Ninjas, I doubt I'd be left standing. Bottom line is Apple developed the software (and the hardware) at their expense and they are entitled to their revenues.

However, does my Hackintosh feel illegal to me? Not really. I've invested in plenty of Apple gear over the years - Powermac MDD, eMac, four iPods, keyboards, mice, Cinema Display etc etc. But just because I've spent 'enough' money with Apple is my sense of entitlement appropriate? Probably not.

I would have probably bought a new iMac by now but my side-project has got the better of me and become my every day machine. So theres some revenue Apple didn't get out of me. And once you've done the home brew thing, you realise that Apple's hardware is a tad expensive. For what it is.

So while I can just about justify it in terms of legality and historic spend, I still have a niggling doubt that we're all going to hell :(