Windows Server 2008 the best operating system

john119

69 posts in this topic

Well, if windows is so bad, than why almost all PC users round the world are running it?

Why don't they get macs, use linux, solaris, unixware and so on if unix is so good?

Unix may be good and stable, but it is {censored} when it comes to fun and multimedia. For

almost all users, computing means FUN, not running servers or coding in c. I'm an OS guru

and I tried almost all unix based OS'es I could find, like nextstep, openstep, linux of all kinds,

qnx, beos, solaris, sco unix, and of course OSX and all of them SUCK when it comes to multimedia

and fun for the user.

Windows is the best operating system for complete fun and entertainment, not only for the work. After the C64, Windows is what makes computing fun.

It may be unstable sometimes, but it's not it's fault. Please think that it runs on the widest hardware

range in the world and most drivers are not made by Microsoft. And it has the widest application base in the world, again made by thousands of other companies, not only Microsoft.

Apple, linux and so on will never have the hardware support and the huge application base that windows have now.

The only thing I don't like on Windows and Microsoft is their way of licensing, with paranoic protections

Well, if windows is so bad, than why almost all PC users round the world are running it?

Why don't they get macs, use linux, solaris, unixware and so on if unix is so good?

Unix may be good and stable, but it is {censored} when it comes to fun and multimedia. For

almost all users, computing means FUN, not running servers or coding in c. I'm an OS guru

and I tried almost all unix based OS'es I could find, like nextstep, openstep, linux of all kinds,

qnx, beos, solaris, sco unix, and of course OSX and all of them SUCK when it comes to multimedia

and fun for the user.

Windows is the best operating system for complete fun and entertainment, not only for the work. After the C64, Windows is what makes computing fun.

It may be unstable sometimes, but it's not it's fault. Please think that it runs on the widest hardware

range in the world and most drivers are not made by Microsoft. And it has the widest application base in the world, again made by thousands of other companies, not only Microsoft.

Apple, linux and so on will never have the hardware support and the huge application base that windows have now.

The only thing I don't like on Windows and Microsoft is their way of licensing, with paranoic protections

You have apparently never played with Leopard and iLife/iWork '08, Adium, Delicious Library, iTunes, etc. If anything, OS X is the BEST multimedia system (barring no support for Foobar, go-go-gadget Parallels+TinyXP).

My hackint0sh is 10x more fun than any PC box I have ever owned, and I don't even have a single game installed at the moment. It is all about the user and their needs, not the operating system and what it can potentially present. After all, we shouldn't be comparing OS'es just to bash one another, we should be criticizing each one individually so that we can find the one that fits us.

and fun for the user.

I never said that everyone should use Mac or something else instead of Windows. Nor did anyone else hint at that or that Windows was all that horrible.

We are just making the point that it is useless to say "ZOMG WINDOWS IS BETTAR THAN MAC COZ IT'S GOOD FOR GAMEZ0RZ."

Of course Windows is better for games. More games are built on Windows. Duh?

And part of what you say is most definitely true. For a true multimedia experience, Windows has the most applications and flexibility for multimedia purposes. That said, there is a rapidly growing number of software being developed on the Mac which are equivalent to many Windows applications and plugins.

I personally use my Mac for an extensive amount of multimedia viewing/editing. NicePlayer and Perian make a great team for videos, VLC for all the oddballs, ffmpegX for conversions, FCS for hardcore video editing, etc.

Every person needs different things from their operating system...

Gamers need a large group of games to play and extensive gaming support. Windows would be their calling.

Video editors would yearn for a Mac coupled with FCS as their choice for a workstation.

Photographers, magazines, and the like would love Macs with Adobe Photoshop CSx.

Casual users would do well with either Mac or Windows, depending on their personal preferences regarding look, feel, navigability, etc.

There are ups and downs to each operating system. My whole point is that if we constructively examine and criticize each OS and compare them to see which features should be added to which to make it easier for the consumer.

In this topic so funny. Like man vs kid. I think a lot of IT guy in here. They will know that unix base better or microsoft better. I don't want to say. Because I know that. Let the kid lazy....... in here.

I have three computer

1. notebook = apple os (Toshiba)

2. Desktop 1 = apple os (core2due)

3. Desktop 2 = XP (P4 Dell old model)

I try to install Vista to my Desktop 1 and notebook. Later I erase it. Why? I don't like to play game. The desktop 2 use xp because I need it to download some update movie and game for my kid. So I need it. I don't to spend more time to upgrade to VISTA. I only spend more time to patch OSX running on my PC. More fun. Let me know more about computer hardware and software. When you patch the sound card. You need to know the hardware ID and design. Also when you get one patch. You need to find out match your hardware or not. This is playing computer fun. Kid only like to play game. Game is not for me.

^

Saying games are for kids is a low-blow (if that's what you're implying). Take a look at the Grand Theft Auto series, for example.

But I totally agree with Tops! Mac is a fun OS to use. Everything (almost!) one could need is already pre-installed, and I haven't even thought of installing a game on my mac -- though, having an Xbox 360 might contribute to that lack of thought.

Mac OS X...Mac OS X...Mac OS X...Mac OS X...Mac OS X..[plz don't interrupt meditation]..whoops...*screaming and causing everyone within a 1000 mile radius to wake up* MAC OS X IS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!

You Windows fanboys interrupted OS X meditation and now you pay the price...

Mac OS X is an awesome OS, period. When you get a Mac, everything that you could possible need comes preinstalled and you don't even need games to have fun on OS X. A hackint0sh just makes the experience funner *bad grammar*

Mac OS X...Mac OS X...Mac OS X...Mac OS X...Mac OS X..[plz don't interrupt meditation]..whoops...*screaming and causing everyone within a 1000 mile radius to wake up* MAC OS X IS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!

You Windows fanboys interrupted OS X meditation and now you pay the price...

Mac OS X is an awesome OS, period. When you get a Mac, everything that you could possible need comes preinstalled and you don't even need games to have fun on OS X. A hackint0sh just makes the experience funner *bad grammar*

;) Server 2008 is actually pretty fast, and it runs on 64mb of ram. All of the useless bloat {censored} is removed.

the best operating system is windows server 2008. I tried the rc0 and coverted it to a workstation and let me tell you the performance is incredible, its way faster than vista and os x and it has aero and all the other features of vista. I tried leopard hack and it sux compared to windows server 2008. leopard in general sucks compared to windows server 2008. i ran zdaemon which is an online multiplayer doom thru crossover and parallels on leopard and both ran like {censored}, i was so disgusted that it could not run something as simple as doom so i left mac for windows server 2008 and will never go back again. leopard just sucks with games thats the # 1 reason why it will allways be second to vista. and now that direct x 10 is coming out windows is going to blow mac out of the water, i dont care how many stupid mac commercials come out. so if your sick of vista and os x try windows server 2008 http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/audsel.mspx

OK, a funny thread, hey.

Server 2008 may be good but I don't give a sh** that server 2008 is better than OSX. It's like if I was saying «My Porsche is better than your Ferrari», who cares! I have OSX because it fits my needs, not because it's faster, better, more game-compatible. I'm 31, I don't need the biggest and most expensive marble in my pocket and say «mine is bigger than yours» (and we must not forget that most of us doesn't pay their marbles in this case, that makes that even more pathetic). I let my 9 years old kid do that with his marbles, he needs that to learn what important from what isn't.

John, you could have simply said «I tried Server 2008, very stable and quick, it's like a breath of fresh air from MS. Something long awaited, I suggest you give a try!» that would have been mature and constructive.

Lets call it a useful OS for a server, maybe workstation, Windows Server 2008 won't be adopted like XP/Vista. Microsoft will do a good server OS because they are completing proper with Linux, Solaris, BSD. Microsoft has always been know to keep their Enterprise, business customers happy because it gets their bread money.

and fun for the user.

not to flame, but do you have any idea of how markets work at all?

Yeah, no one is disagreeing that Server 2008 is fast...*short attention span* Hey, why doesn't someone develop an app to strip down Vista to Server 2008 level?

Why don't they just install Server 08?

Touche pcwiz, but if they really wanted it, they'd torrent it. The only people that would be likely to use a stripped down Vista, would be our fellow geeks, and I personally don't know any that buy anything anymore (other than food and clothing). So I'm sure that if someone hated all the fluff, they somehow find Server 08 for free. If not just because it's better, then for the fact that they believe they deserve a better Windows and this is their revenge for the horridness of Vista.