How can I increase my Leopard partition size?

A Hamster

118 posts in this topic

Ok, I just booted the installation DVD and I went to Disk Util and repaired the Leopard partition.

Fortunately, the application was able to repair the unit (the error posted above no longer appears when verifying it). However, the available space shown is still 5.5GB

Any ideas?? Thanks!

I have the same problem.

Hope someone can help.

BIG UP ZUZA! BIG UP ALL OF YOU!

It works, just don't write "sudo". write (in terminal) : diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk...............etc...

The word "New" must be writen. Don't know the sense but it works like this.

Then, when reboot, the reboot will fail. YOU NEED Akronis to mark the disk as ACTIVE.

Then my reboot failed another way with that "all language" message with "you need to restart ..."

I restarted with anger, then it WORKED.

DONT GIVE UP!

Peace

Romainky

Ok, I've started with a 15 GB partition (on a 400GB disk). In Vista I've created a second partition but did not format it. From Leopard I've erased the newly created partition and then used:

diskutil list

that listed back 2 partitions with the identifiers: disk1s1 and disk1s2 (in other cases might be disk0...)

Now,

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s1 disk1s2

did the trick (New is the name, it will actually be ignored).

The first partition will be kept intact and the second one will be "merged" therefore you will loose all contents (I made sure it was empty before running the merge just in case).

That did the trick for me! Thanks, zuza! :whistle:

Hi, thanks all for help first of all.

Sorry for my english.

I had problems with partitions and all I did was step by step.

I have dual boot Leopard 10.5 flat img and Vista.

For OSX i use 160 GB HDD. From Vista Computer managment i make partition from the space left me on that disk after Leopard installed.

Then boot to Leopard. From Leopard DiskUtility format that partition to be Journaled OSX partition.

Then open Terminal and type this. Thanx too ZUZA.

--------------------------------------------------------------

diskutil list

that listed back 2 partitions with the identifiers: disk1s1 and disk1s2 (in other cases might be disk0...)

Now,

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s1 disk1s2

did the trick (New is the name, it will actually be ignored).

The first partition will be kept intact and the second one will be "merged" therefore you will loose all contents (I made sure it was empty before running the merge just in case).

---------------------------------------------------------------

After that open Disk Utility and select partition or disk you created. You will see that is bigger now.

Click to button Verify Disk. After that click to Repair Disk Permissions.

Reboot and pray.

I dont know is this help me to boot again to Leopard but that is all what i was dan.

Note: this is for all of you who try all tutorial posted before mine without luck. I hope that this will help someone.

Leopard flat-img 10.5, P35-DQ6, 2GB RAM, HD 2600 XT, Q6600.

• 2 weeks later...

When you do the partition if you click the option button look to make sure you don't have the to radio button check, some thing about guid.

Use the bottom one that works with dos it says . I have the same problem with it booting and I had the top radio button check in options.

Hi, I have the opposite problem. I have a 250G HD on my laptop. I gave it all to Leopard. Now I want to be able to dual boot into Vista. (The sad fact of my work, I am reduced to using Windows garbage ) However, I only want to give Vista 10-15G, I am wondering how I can down size the HFS+ partition without erasing the Leopard installation?

do a diskutil list

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New diskXsY diskXsZ if the partitions are called Y and Z !

Remember you are merging PARTITIONS not DISKS!

If it doesn't show another partition if you did a flat image then you need to make it in windows!

Sticman

hi..

am trying to merge my Leopard partition(disk1 = 15MB) with the free partition I have (disk1s1 = 465 GB).

on running:

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New disk1 disk1s1

I get the terminal response:

'merging partitions encountered an error. Could not read partition map (-9988) on disk disk1s1 Leopard. The erase will not occur'

any ideas what this means..? am I too think my drive has an issue?

please help..

cheers

D-manUK

sorry guys..

I knew the answer. looked in vista and of course the partition was not activated..

do a diskutil list

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New diskXsY diskXsZ if the partitions are called Y and Z !

Remember you are merging PARTITIONS not DISKS!

If it doesn't show another partition if you did a flat image then you need to make it in windows!

Sticman

• 1 month later...

thank you zuza!!!!!

I just did a Leopard install from ToH and went from PATA 20G drive to a SATA 320G drive using dd in linux. I tried to use "parted" to resize my hfs+ partition, but learned it will only shrink! So I was stuck with a 20G partition on that drive for Leopard. Orginally I just formated the remainder partition for Leopard, but was learning real quick that everything for MAC likes to go into the "applications" folder and in the users folder (ie iTunes, Docs etc)... I was making alias to get through most of this, but it didn;t work like I wanted so I looked into growing my Leopard hfs+ partition and FINALLY found this thread! This worked seemlessly for me and I figured I would have to go back and make the partition bottable, but I didn't. It just worked!

Thanks a LOT! This should defintely be a thread in the genius bar!

your opinion: ;)

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*74.5 Gi	disk0
  1:			   Windows_NTFS -n					  20.0 Gi	disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS LEO					 14.6 Gi	disk0s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS temp					15.4 Gi	disk0s3
  4:			   Windows_NTFS -n STORE				24.5 Gi	disk0s5
/dev/disk2
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*1.9 Gi	 disk2
  1:				 DOS_FAT_32 STICK				   1.9 Gi	 disk2s1

diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" LEO disk0s2 disk0s3
Merging partitions into a new partition
 Start partition: disk0s2 LEO
 Finish partition: disk0s3 temp
error writing partition map: MediaKit reports partition (map) too small (-5341)

Merging partitions encountered error MediaKit reports partition (map) too small (-5341) on disk disk0s2 LEO.  The erase will not occur.

The question left un answered here (i am not ready to find out just yet) is where can this partition be? can i merge with a partition that is before the mac partition using the simple steps?

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New disk0s4 disk0s3

I also get this error saying "Mediakit reported the partition (map) is too small". I've tried anything, with and without sudo, all kinds of types for the partition I want to merge to my Leopard partition, nothing seems to work. Does this method only apply to GUID partitioned disks? Mine is MBR partitioned.

FIY: my disk is partitioned as follows:

disk0s1: NTFS (Windows)

disk0s2: Journaled HFS+ (Leopard)

disk0s3: MS DOS FAT (Partition to be merged to leopard)

disk0s5: NTFS (Windows DATA partition)

So I typed: diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s2 disk0s3

I've also tried this by booting from the install DVD and trying it from the terminal there, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with increasing my Leopard partition. Just to make sure I'm not missing anything stupid:

-Created unformatted partition after my leopard partition

-Used DiskUtility to format partition as Extended(Journaled)

-In terminal:

bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *111.8 Gi   disk0
  1:               Windows_NTFS                         24.3 Gi    disk0s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS X                       14.7 Gi    disk0s5
  3:                  Apple_HFS X2                      57.8 Gi    disk0s6
  4:               Windows_NTFS Data                    15.0 Gi    disk0s7

then

bash-3.2# diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s5 disk0s6
Merging partitions into a new partition
    Start partition: disk0s5 X
    Finish partition: disk0s6 X2
error writing partition map: MediaKit reports illogical request (-5323)

Merging partitions encountered error MediaKit reports illogical request (-5323) on disk disk0s5 X.  The erase will not occur.

Can anyone help figure out what's wrong?

Thanks

Looks like you formatted one in HFS Journalled and the other in HFS or else some other mismatch - eg Case sensitive and not case sensitive. Use Disk Utility to get the exact match for the new partition you are erasing. Can't merge apples and oranges

:unsure:

hi.

i had the following config:

disk0s1: vista recover

disk0s2: vista

disk0s3: hfs+ (leo)

so now i resized the vista partition in order to increase the leo partition:

disk0s1: vista recover

disk0s2: vista

disk0s3: FREE

disk0s4: hfs+ (leo)

now my question is: can i join the free space to the leo partition, even if it is BEFORE leo?? (ironslave has similar problem - still unanswered)

• 3 weeks later...

Followed instructions to a T; however, the new partition it created was an extended partition...I didn't think much of it, my setup was like this, all primary partitions:

begin | windows(45GB) | leopard(25GB) | free space(60GB) | ntfs partition(100GB) | end

Made a new, unformatted partition in vista that occupied the free space, booted to os x, erased it with Journaled HFS+, ran the mergePartition with the 60GB partition as the second argument (was disk0s5) and it somehow erased part of the ntfs partition, leaving 40GB of free space, with the new leopard as 140GB instead of 80GB. Now the setup is this:

begin | windows(45GB) | leopard(140GB) | freespace(40GB) | end

The weird thing is, the 100GB ntfs partition was primary, not extended, so when I made the new partition, why did it have any connection to the ntfs partition? And you can't say that I picked the wrong partition, otherwise I would have 60GB of free space left, or none at all.

I would avoid using vista's disk management to create the new partition from empty space and just use fdisk from the OS X CD if I did this again.

Last login: Tue Mar 11 10:48:50 on console

devins-mac-pro:~ Devin$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *149.1 Gi disk0

1: Windows_NTFS Windows XP 20.0 Gi disk0s1

2: 79.0 Gi disk0s3

3: Apple_HFS Leopard 50.0 Gi disk0s2

devins-mac-pro:~ Devin$ sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s1 disk0s2

Password:

The chosen disk does not support resizing, do you wish to format instead? (y/N) n

Merge canceled

devins-mac-pro:~ Devin$

"The chosen disk does not support resizing, do you wish to format instead? (y/N)"

Is that normal?

Sorry, my bad. I was looking at the left numbers and not the right side ones.

Sorry.