How can I increase my Leopard partition size?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

PowerSupply

PowerSupply

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Digital Dark Age was right...if it doesnt boot after you merge it, reboot back into vista and install acronis and set the big new mac partion drive to "active". That fixed it for me....for me..i have a 250 hfs drive partion and then i also added a 250 ntfs drive=500

he also suggested to do this....... "run fsck -y in single user mode as there might be some disk errors. "

my question is still, do i need acronis? I am surprised the vista dsk mangement wouldnt do it. anyways

thanks

Just use diskpart.exe in Vista to set the partition to active. Done.

kfernandes29

kfernandes29

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I just mentioned this in the post before yours lol

jamespo

jamespo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Having some trouble with the merge... any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated

machine:~ root# diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s3 disk1s42007-11-11 10:57:05.485 diskutil[183:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
2007-11-11 10:57:05.673 DiskManagementTool[184:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
Merging partitions into a new partition
Start partition: disk1s3 Leopard
Finish partition: disk1s4 disk1s4

Merging partitions encountered error Could not read partition map (-9988) on disk disk1s3 Leopard. The erase will not occur.

dhomi

dhomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Same problem here. the sudo command never worked for me. The only way would be to merge the partition from another install of OSX, I might do that since I need more than 15Gb (especially if you install Xcode3).
Is there an easy way to merge HFS+ partition without any loss of data from a linux live or Windows ?
I think a method using linux live CD was mentionned on the forum, has anyone tried that yet ?

olympionex

olympionex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Using Gparted does NOT work, it can only downsize partitions.

Zuza's method of using diskutil mergePartitions works and its easy. Just some information that might be helpful:

You need to create an unformatted partition in the freespace area of the disk that was not used by the flat image install. You should be able to do this with

Your system disk must be journaled. It should be by default unless you turned it off to try something else.

Then follow Zuza's method of using diskutil mergePartitions.

You don't need any other installations or operating systems. This works fine on your live system. It does not mess up your system's ability to boot.

dhomi

dhomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *69.2 Gi disk0
1: Apple_HFS Leopard 15.0 Gi disk0s1
2: DOS_FAT_16 54.2 Gi disk0s2
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk1
1: Windows_NTFS 65.8 Gi disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS MEDIA 399.8 Gi disk1s2
dhomi-PC:~ dominique $ sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s1 disk0s2

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
dhomi-PC:~ dominiquee$

After that nothing happens, am I doing something wrong, have I forgotten something? I don't know. Obviously, rebooting didn't change anything. 15Gb is a bit tight, I need to install Xcode 3 and it does take a lot of space...
If someone has a suggestion. I'll be so happy to "unleash" those 54Gb of my Raptor.

matiseijas

matiseijas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I did this but now my Partition Table is messed up :(

Acronis and Windows see the partition as a 40 GB one.

The Finder in Leopard shows that the parition is 20 GB large, yet Disk Util shows that the partition is 40GB large, that there are 14.6GB used and 5.5 available (which doesn't really make sense)

Plus, when I try to verify the partition with DiskUtil I get the following error:

Posted Image

Could somebody please help??

matiseijas

matiseijas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Ok, I just booted the installation DVD and I went to Disk Util and repaired the Leopard partition.

Fortunately, the application was able to repair the unit (the error posted above no longer appears when verifying it). However, the available space shown is still 5.5GB

Any ideas?? Thanks!

gyasih

gyasih

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
sudo -s in terminal
try diskutil list
try merge... without sudo in front.

worked for me

dhomi

dhomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

sudo -s in terminal
try diskutil list
try merge... without sudo in front.

worked for me

MERCI !!!! I mean THANKS a million !!! :D
Merge without "sudo" I can't believe it was as stupid as that, before the merge I had 2GB left ! :(

Mowd

Mowd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Ok, I just booted the installation DVD and I went to Disk Util and repaired the Leopard partition.

Fortunately, the application was able to repair the unit (the error posted above no longer appears when verifying it). However, the available space shown is still 5.5GB

Any ideas?? Thanks!

I have the same problem.
Hope someone can help.

romainky

romainky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
BIG UP ZUZA! BIG UP ALL OF YOU!

It works, just don't write "sudo". write (in terminal) : diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk...............etc...

The word "New" must be writen. Don't know the sense but it works like this.

Then, when reboot, the reboot will fail. YOU NEED Akronis to mark the disk as ACTIVE.

Then my reboot failed another way with that "all language" message with "you need to restart ..."

I restarted with anger, then it WORKED.

DONT GIVE UP!

Peace

Romainky

Foodie Monster

Foodie Monster

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Ok, I've started with a 15 GB partition (on a 400GB disk). In Vista I've created a second partition but did not format it. From Leopard I've erased the newly created partition and then used:

diskutil list

that listed back 2 partitions with the identifiers: disk1s1 and disk1s2 (in other cases might be disk0...)

Now,

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s1 disk1s2

did the trick (New is the name, it will actually be ignored).

The first partition will be kept intact and the second one will be "merged" therefore you will loose all contents (I made sure it was empty before running the merge just in case).

That did the trick for me! Thanks, zuza! :whistle:

Foodie Monster

Foodie Monster

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I'm also getting the blinking cursor upon restart. I tried diskpart.exe from Windows, it marked the Partition as Active (with the *), but upon reboot it still stays at the blinking cursor.

tibormir

tibormir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, thanks all for help first of all.
Sorry for my english.
I had problems with partitions and all I did was step by step.
I have dual boot Leopard 10.5 flat img and Vista.
For OSX i use 160 GB HDD. From Vista Computer managment i make partition from the space left me on that disk after Leopard installed.
Then boot to Leopard. From Leopard DiskUtility format that partition to be Journaled OSX partition.
Then open Terminal and type this. Thanx too ZUZA.
--------------------------------------------------------------
diskutil list

that listed back 2 partitions with the identifiers: disk1s1 and disk1s2 (in other cases might be disk0...)

Now,

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s1 disk1s2

did the trick (New is the name, it will actually be ignored).

The first partition will be kept intact and the second one will be "merged" therefore you will loose all contents (I made sure it was empty before running the merge just in case).
---------------------------------------------------------------

After that open Disk Utility and select partition or disk you created. You will see that is bigger now.
Click to button Verify Disk. After that click to Repair Disk Permissions.
Reboot and pray.

I dont know is this help me to boot again to Leopard but that is all what i was dan.
Note: this is for all of you who try all tutorial posted before mine without luck. I hope that this will help someone.
Leopard flat-img 10.5, P35-DQ6, 2GB RAM, HD 2600 XT, Q6600.

Alucard!

Alucard!

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
zuza yr da man!! :rolleyes::)

Kane Adams

Kane Adams

Leave my Sig alone.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
When you do the partition if you click the option button look to make sure you don't have the to radio button check, some thing about guid.
Use the bottom one that works with dos it says . I have the same problem with it booting and I had the top radio button check in options.

Macpaq

Macpaq

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi, I have the opposite problem. I have a 250G HD on my laptop. I gave it all to Leopard. Now I want to be able to dual boot into Vista. (The sad fact of my work, I am reduced to using Windows garbage ) However, I only want to give Vista 10-15G, I am wondering how I can down size the HFS+ partition without erasing the Leopard installation?

riverotter

riverotter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's not working for me, for some reason. I get everything right in terminal, it asks for my password... and then nothing happens.

SticMAC™

SticMAC™

"Nobody likes a SmartASS"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
do a diskutil list

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New diskXsY diskXsZ if the partitions are called Y and Z !
Remember you are merging PARTITIONS not DISKS!

If it doesn't show another partition if you did a flat image then you need to make it in windows!

Sticman

hi..

am trying to merge my Leopard partition(disk1 = 15MB) with the free partition I have (disk1s1 = 465 GB).

on running:

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New disk1 disk1s1

I get the terminal response:

'merging partitions encountered an error. Could not read partition map (-9988) on disk disk1s1 Leopard. The erase will not occur'

any ideas what this means..? am I too think my drive has an issue?

please help..
cheers
D-manUK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy