How can I increase my Leopard partition size?

A Hamster

118 posts in this topic

Ok, I've started with a 15 GB partition (on a 400GB disk). In Vista I've created a second partition but did not format it. From Leopard I've erased the newly created partition and then used:

diskutil list

that listed back 2 partitions with the identifiers: disk1s1 and disk1s2 (in other cases might be disk0...)

Now,

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s1 disk1s2

did the trick (New is the name, it will actually be ignored).

The first partition will be kept intact and the second one will be "merged" therefore you will loose all contents (I made sure it was empty before running the merge just in case).

ok am trying this, lets hope for the best. Since this works for you I am sure it will be a big help for a lot of folks. Just hope it works for me. Cheers.

Edit: Zuza, you are a genuis, It worked! And to think it was so simple all along.

You must make a new thread with this both here and at OSX86scene.com where hundreds of people are still struggling with this and devising lots of complicated schemes to enlarge their leopard partitions. They will be thrilled.

Please do and a huge thank you from me.

Great. Not only did it work but it was so simple, fast and effortless. As opposed to cloning disks, working from 2 osx installs, restoring, using arcane and time consuming tools and god knows what else has been tried to enlarge the 15gb partition. Cheers.

Ok, I've started with a 15 GB partition (on a 400GB disk). In Vista I've created a second partition but did not format it. From Leopard I've erased the newly created partition and then used:

diskutil list

that listed back 2 partitions with the identifiers: disk1s1 and disk1s2 (in other cases might be disk0...)

Now,

did the trick (New is the name, it will actually be ignored).

The first partition will be kept intact and the second one will be "merged" therefore you will loose all contents (I made sure it was empty before running the merge just in case).

This works effortlessly! Thanks a billion!!!

mrfatcat: The exact same thing happened to me. It ended up that my drive wasn't active. I used Acronis in Windows XP to set the drive to active and it booted right back up. I'm not sure why I got a disk out of space message the first time. Perhpaps it just required a reboot. At any rate, Zuza kicks ass!

I DID IT!!!!!

Go to http://www.jasonmadigan.com/2007/11/04/bui...d-installation/ and follow his instructions and you will be successful!!

I downloaded the zip file and followed the instructions from "5. Making it bootable"

Things you will need:

1. A partition thats writable from osx besides the one you install to (it HAS to be on a seperate disk)

2. A install DVD

3 Patience lol

Things I did:

1. Install from flat image, logged into it and made sure it was up and running well :)

2. booted with the install DVD and went to disk utility

3. made an image of the partition that was created in 1 and saved it to another disk (disk must be hfs or fat32)

4. Partitioned and resized the drive I want leopard to be on in the end., this is the same drive you had created the flat image on. Make SURE its formatted MBR when partitioning (My drive is a 320gb sata, I made osx 40gb and the rest another partition, you can make it whatever size you like)

5. Restore the image you created in 3 to the new larger partition you created for leopard in 4 (click the restore tab to the far right then right click the partition you created for leopard and select "destination" (i THINK thats what it said) and right click the image file you created and select SOURCE (the image file created in 3 will appear on the left after its created)

After this its just following the instructions on the website posted above.

One thing to note, remember to extract the files to ur thumb drive lol,

Also the section on the site where it says "Use cd to move into the makebootable folder in our USB drive, e.g. “cd /Volume/MyUSBDrive/makebootable” I had to put cd.. (then press enter) 4 times before it allowed me to change directory. I also did it step by step as in:

cd .. (enter)

cd .. (enter)

cd .. (enter)

cd .. (enter)

cd Volumes (enter)

cd "MyUSBDrive" (enter) (you put whatever you name for YOUR thumb drive or usb drive)

cd makebootable (enter)

I'm bad at explaining stuff but I hope its clear enough so you can understand, i'm just so glad i found a way to make it work.

NO credit goes to me of course as I only followed instructions :)

Thanks to all that made it possible for us noobs

Proof!

316usux.jpg

I DID IT!!!!!

Go to http://www.jasonmadigan.com/2007/11/04/bui...d-installation/ and follow his instructions and you will be successful!!

I downloaded the zip file and followed the instructions from "5. Making it bootable"

Things you will need:

1. A partition thats writable from osx besides the one you install to (it HAS to be on a seperate disk)

2. A install DVD

3 Patience lol

Things I did:

1. Install from flat image, logged into it and made sure it was up and running well :)

2. booted with the install DVD and went to disk utility

3. made an image of the partition that was created in 1 and saved it to another disk (disk must be hfs or fat32)

4. Partitioned and resized the drive I want leopard to be on in the end., this is the same drive you had created the flat image on. Make SURE its formatted MBR when partitioning (My drive is a 320gb sata, I made osx 40gb and the rest another partition, you can make it whatever size you like)

5. Restore the image you created in 3 to the new larger partition you created for leopard in 4 (click the restore tab to the far right then right click the partition you created for leopard and select "destination" (i THINK thats what it said) and right click the image file you created and select SOURCE (the image file created in 3 will appear on the left after its created)

After this its just following the instructions on the website posted above.

One thing to note, remember to extract the files to ur thumb drive lol,

Also the section on the site where it says "Use cd to move into the makebootable folder in our USB drive, e.g. “cd /Volume/MyUSBDrive/makebootable” I had to put cd.. (then press enter) 4 times before it allowed me to change directory. I also did it step by step as in:

cd .. (enter)

cd .. (enter)

cd .. (enter)

cd .. (enter)

cd Volumes (enter)

cd "MyUSBDrive" (enter) (you put whatever you name for YOUR thumb drive or usb drive)

cd makebootable (enter)

I'm bad at explaining stuff but I hope its clear enough so you can understand, i'm just so glad i found a way to make it work.

NO credit goes to me of course as I only followed instructions :)

Thanks to all that made it possible for us noobs

Proof!

Wow, this looks a fair bit more complicated then the solution confirmed above. Thanks for the tutorial though. Might come in handy some time.

mrfatcat: The exact same thing happened to me. It ended up that my drive wasn't active. I used Acronis in Windows XP to set the drive to active and it booted right back up. I'm not sure why I got a disk out of space message the first time. Perhpaps it just required a reboot. At any rate, Zuza kicks ass!

Thanks. Was coming back (from work) to post "oh no what happened :lol:" but it seems you have cleared it up.

I'll boot into vista and try this. Thanks for the help!

Digital Dark Age was right...if it doesnt boot after you merge it, reboot back into vista and install acronis and set the big new mac partion drive to "active". That fixed it for me....for me..i have a 250 hfs drive partion and then i also added a 250 ntfs drive=500

he also suggested to do this....... "run fsck -y in single user mode as there might be some disk errors. "

my question is still, do i need acronis? I am surprised the vista dsk mangement wouldnt do it. anyways

thanks

Digital Dark Age was right...if it doesnt boot after you merge it, reboot back into vista and install acronis and set the big new mac partion drive to "active". That fixed it for me....for me..i have a 250 hfs drive partion and then i also added a 250 ntfs drive=500

he also suggested to do this....... "run fsck -y in single user mode as there might be some disk errors. "

my question is still, do i need acronis? I am surprised the vista dsk mangement wouldnt do it. anyways

thanks

Yes, you do. I tried it with Vista disk management, I got an error at the boot something like it doesn't recognise my HFS+ partition. Acronis did the work alright. I'm still struggling to merge those partitions.

This what I have in Terminal :

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *69.2 Gi disk1

1: Apple_HFS Leopard 15.0 Gi disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS disk0s2 54.2 Gi disk1s2

This is what I think I should type in :

Gonna try that once more and see, last time I did, nothing happened except the second partition was set to active...

To make it active again after using this method (which words perfectly and quickly btw) just boot up windows and start up diskpart.exe

list disk (I had Leopard on Disk 1 - Partition 1 so I will use that for this walkthrough)

select disk 1

list partition

select partition 1

active

Then exit and restart....boot from Leopard and you're set, no need for Acronis or other Partition programs.

thanks

Just use diskpart.exe in Vista to set the partition to active. Done.

Having some trouble with the merge... any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated

machine:~ root# diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s3 disk1s42007-11-11 10:57:05.485 diskutil[183:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

2007-11-11 10:57:05.673 DiskManagementTool[184:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Merging partitions into a new partition

Start partition: disk1s3 Leopard

Finish partition: disk1s4 disk1s4

Merging partitions encountered error Could not read partition map (-9988) on disk disk1s3 Leopard. The erase will not occur.

Same problem here. the sudo command never worked for me. The only way would be to merge the partition from another install of OSX, I might do that since I need more than 15Gb (especially if you install Xcode3).

Is there an easy way to merge HFS+ partition without any loss of data from a linux live or Windows ?

I think a method using linux live CD was mentionned on the forum, has anyone tried that yet ?

Using Gparted does NOT work, it can only downsize partitions.

Zuza's method of using diskutil mergePartitions works and its easy. Just some information that might be helpful:

You need to create an unformatted partition in the freespace area of the disk that was not used by the flat image install. You should be able to do this with

Your system disk must be journaled. It should be by default unless you turned it off to try something else.

Then follow Zuza's method of using diskutil mergePartitions.

You don't need any other installations or operating systems. This works fine on your live system. It does not mess up your system's ability to boot.

/dev/disk0

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *69.2 Gi disk0

1: Apple_HFS Leopard 15.0 Gi disk0s1

2: DOS_FAT_16 54.2 Gi disk0s2

/dev/disk1

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk1

1: Windows_NTFS 65.8 Gi disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS MEDIA 399.8 Gi disk1s2

dhomi-PC:~ dominique $ sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s1 disk0s2

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

dhomi-PC:~ dominiquee$

After that nothing happens, am I doing something wrong, have I forgotten something? I don't know. Obviously, rebooting didn't change anything. 15Gb is a bit tight, I need to install Xcode 3 and it does take a lot of space...

If someone has a suggestion. I'll be so happy to "unleash" those 54Gb of my Raptor.

I did this but now my Partition Table is messed up :(

Acronis and Windows see the partition as a 40 GB one.

The Finder in Leopard shows that the parition is 20 GB large, yet Disk Util shows that the partition is 40GB large, that there are 14.6GB used and 5.5 available (which doesn't really make sense)

Plus, when I try to verify the partition with DiskUtil I get the following error:

diskerrorff0.th.jpg

Could somebody please help??

Ok, I just booted the installation DVD and I went to Disk Util and repaired the Leopard partition.

Fortunately, the application was able to repair the unit (the error posted above no longer appears when verifying it). However, the available space shown is still 5.5GB

Any ideas?? Thanks!