The high price of Apple computers

~pcwiz

281 posts in this topic

erei33, that is a really bad comparison.

Your price does not include hard drives, optical drives, OS, speakers, monitor, and extra software. Total that up and its going to over to 1100-1500 dollars and thats around what a pre-made PC costs.

P.S. erei33, did you read the PM I sent you?

some of you ppl are freaking blind that you think that MACs are same or equil to PCs , makes me laugh. seriously ..

I don't recall anyone saying that EVERY mac is equal or even ever cheaper.

But people who continually suggest that because by grabbing the cheapest priced components they can from multiple sources and suppliers and then that sum total suggests that every Mac is "way more over priced" or "2x more expensive" is just dumb.

These prices ignore the OS costs also, whether Apple or any pre-built PC maker. Suggesting "well you just add $129 isn't right" because we know just like an OEM versions of Windows, hardware sales subsidize these prices.

Now maybe in non-NA countries it is different, but I know in Canada, the iMac compared to the the same system specs from our 2 biggest PC suppliers, (Dell, Future Shop/Best Buy) are essentially identical.

Now if you want to say, I can build a system with as just as good or better specs, no one in their right mind could say that, but I could also say that about Dell, Gateway, HP, etc

Apple is like the Caddilacs of computers. You can't get one like it from another brand.(legally) BECAUSE Apple is an indenpendant company, and does not release their source to other companies, they know the only way to get a fully working mac is from them, and they're the only ones. So, you gotta make some profit off of it.

some of you ppl are freaking blind that you think that MACs are same or equil to PCs , makes me laugh. seriously ..

The basic platforms of the Macs and PCs are the same. Intel, x86, in a sense they are the same. This you cannot deny. But, there are still chips and such that makes it an Apple computer. This is obvious, because if they were the same, you could throw in the tiger disk in any computer and boot it up out the box, or vise versa with Windows.

But I do have one theory that some you might not agree with, or agree with. Why we have Osx86. 2 reasons. One, price. Base Mac is $599. The mini, base computer, well you can spend maybe $100-$200 less than the mini. PRICE is one reason, another is customization. Video cards for one, people who want the G80 chips in a mac, or the Core 2 Extreme desktop cpus, or the quad cores, Overlocking goes with customization.

The Mac mini is advertised as a desktop. The BASE line of desktops from Apple, even though it's a full blown laptop. That's why I compared it. The only real desktop from Apple is the Macpro, which is more of a workstation.

Overpriced? Come on... Apple should care because???

Oh, that's right... the "consumer's desires" ... Everyone is unbelievable... Apple's selling "re-branded" hardware at 2x the price...

Apple doesn't want to sell you upgraded RAM or even a bigger HDD, it deviates from a smooth production line which screws with overall profit. So don't ***** about overpriced upgrades, just do them yourself.

Secondly, the "functionality argument" : Apple stuff incorporates different existing products into their computers. But it's not like some just said : "Hey! just put this in and we're set!" Apple designs their own motherboards for all computers which means driver development etc. If it were as simple as "Plug-in and GO!" Apple wouldn't be in business.

NEWS FLASH: it's all about yield margins. Not PROFIT !!!!

BTW, I shook Tom Boger's hand the other day... :(

The Mac mini is advertised as a desktop. The BASE line of desktops from Apple, even though it's a full blown laptop. That's why I compared it. The only real desktop from Apple is the Macpro, which is more of a workstation.

It's still not comparing two systems. It's like comparing a small car eco friendly car to a huge V8 Sports car for the same price.

It's still not comparing two systems. It's like comparing a small car eco friendly car to a huge V8 Sports car for the same price.

Comparing 2 cars are different from comparing 2 computers. It is comparing 2 systems, because that's what the Mac mini is reviewed as, and made for. Even though it's filled with parts for a laptop, it's made as a desktop. Just because a car is a v8, doesn't make it a sports car.

No...It doesn't take much to get that the Mac Mini is seen as a desktop, and again even though it has parts a laptop would normally have, it's seen as a desktop, marketed as a desktop, and sold as a desktop. You're entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. :P

Even though the Mac Mini is considered a desktop, its built of laptop parts so I agree with glassJAw that even though Mac Mini is considered a desktop by Apple, you can't compare it with full size desktop PC towers.

When you buy a Apple computer you get More than the parts. You need to factor in it's been Eng to hell and perfected so OS X will run flawlessly. Also you get free Genius bar and 90 day support. Apple is def in top 3 for best tech support. Call dell or HP, you will find idiots behind the phone trying to fix your computer. CAll Apple and you will get someone who has one thing they know. APPLE hardware and OS X. And it's easy to contact higher up people as well.

You also get ilife and a demo of iwork with your new mac. If you compare a pc pre made or custume with all these things its very close in price. All i can say is. you get what you buy.

I honestly do not see why people {censored} about price when its very close in the first place and you get such style and OS X working perfectly without any harder steps with a PC with OS X.

Well the War on this debate will never end. SO i will leave it at that.

-MacX

Good point there MacX, but my point is first time buyers are not going to consider OS X or Software or iLife or style or iWork. They are going to go for the [much] cheaper PC which is one of the reasons more people use PCs than Macs.

Yeah. Why buy a crappy Lotus Elise for $45000 and only 190hp, when you can get an awesome Toyota Camry with 200+hp for half that? Simple: The packaging. The design. Maybe not the customer support, but because it's cool? Definitely. I personally think the PCs==cars analogy is very apt, because you can make so many of the same statements comparing different examples of either group.

Macs are a type of PC. They cater to a segment of the market; to those of us who either need or want their functionality, features, support, looks, or whatever. Many choose to buy commodity PCs, and that's fine. They do their job. The big volume sellers can afford to sell them for peanuts. And they are value-engineered to be as cheap as possible. The more computing power out there, the better, I think.

You people just don't get it...I am not talking about specs anymore...I am talking about FIRST TIME BUYERS. They're not going to care for the style of the Mac because now you can get PC clones that look "somewhat" (:)) like an Mac for way lesser.

Sure, more knowledgable users will definetely go for the mac but its FIRST TIME BUYERS that I'm talking about.

Really hope you get it this time

I would agree with pcwiz, just speaking from experience, Apple is not really creating something for first time buyers.

Lately im forced to work with Macs in work and being a PC user my whole life, im rather frustrated than amazed by the Mac.

We use about everything from older G4s to macbook pro.

I personally would have the money to buy a macbook pro, actually i just bought a regular Notebook that is more expensive.

Now some thoughts on why i wont buy a Mac:

- Time i need to get used to a mac can be spent productively doing something on a PC (im not talking about i dont want to learn new stuff)

- Functionality of a mac = functionality of a PC (for me - i seriously dont see a difference)

- Im unimpressed with Mac OS X, simply because it crashes on me more than this very WinXP box im sitting on (in total that would have been 4 times today, fortunately i was just playing around and not doing serious work)

- Im annoyed by the lack of more mousekeys and the need of pushing horrible key-combinations (but lets say thats not an argument, cus its just something im not used to)

Tell me one serious thing why i should buy a mac (except for the really neat design).

So deducting from my logic, who would buy a mac:

-Mac-users

-ppl that never used a computer before and are forced to by their company that uses Macs

-ppl that want to use a mac for the sake of having a mac (like buying Adidas for the sake of wearing Adidas; dresscode sth i dunno)

-ppl that are forced to use a mac because they use Adobe (ive heard the next release after CS3 is going to be OSX only)

I have a co-worker that was a pc-user and now bought a macbook pro, and all i hear is cursing from his side of the desk (completed by a call to our IT ppl for help)

So why should a pc user bother? yeah, he wont.

And thats why Apple eventually will become a company selling only entertainment electronics.

>Disclaimer<

This is just my opinion and view of things, sorry if i insulted some fainbois.

Jesus Christ my post was a mess, I talked about a Q6600 but then had a C2D as the processor. Ya, I forgot to include that I have a spare 230GB 7200 RPM Sata, a DVD Burner, and Vista Ultimate. I'll edit it up.

Now maybe in non-NA countries it is different, but I know in Canada, the iMac compared to the the same system specs from our 2 biggest PC suppliers, (Dell, Future Shop/Best Buy) are essentially identical.

iMac to another All-in-one: yeah, the iMac is fairly priced.

iMac to a mainstream tower: the iMac is more with lesser stats

All computers you don't build yourself are expensive. An example, how much do you think a PC with an Intel Q6600 cost? A lot less than you think:

Case:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel $49.99

Motherboard:

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard $184.99

Power Supply:

COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 500W Power Supply $49.99

RAM:

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $109.99

Processor:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor $195.99

TOTAL: $590.95

Add in a $200 video card and you've got a great PC for under $1,000

looks like you got a little mixed up there?

no biggie...but yes, pc's are very cheap if you build them yourself, but they are very exspensive if you let dell build them for you.

looks like you got a little mixed up there?

no biggie...but yes, pc's are very cheap if you build them yourself, but they are very exspensive if you let dell build them for you.

My bad, like I said I made a mistake. I just copied and pasted this notepad document I had.