What do you want to see in 10.5 (Leopard)?

Swad

221 posts in this topic

3) Windoze apps support - DarWine sort of works - but not well enough!

Exactly what incentive would this give for creation of OSX native apps? Windows compatibility killed OS/2

4) Open/GL or DirectX support (gaming! yay)

OpenGL is intergrated fully into OSX. As much as I'd like to see Direct X suite ported to the Mac (mainly for online gaming), MS tied it too closely to windows. There were inquieries during the anti-trust preceedings about Direct X and Microsoft was able to convince them it was impossible to port to another operating system.

One issue on which I have to grudgingly admit defeat to Windows, or at least admit a draw -- menu bars. Apple's menu bar has been anchored to the top of the screen since the very beginning and with dual display setups and giant monitors that no longer makes sense all the time; it doesn't work to have the application window a great distance away from the menu bar, especially not on a different monitor from the menu bar.

Users should have the option of having the menu bar open attached to the top of the application window as per Windows -- or at the very least, in a dual monitor setup, have the menu bar open at the top of the same monitor on which you have an open window for that application.

It would be nice to see Mac OS fully support non apple DVD burners for use in iMovie - it's a pain having to buy a mac with a Superdrive when i have a perfectly servicable firewire burner.

I think ilife 2005 already does that... anyway u can use patchburn to use any osx app with your burner.

I think that we would have to distinguish between the additions that we would want to the intel version and those that we would want to the ppc version (multiple desktop is alrady possible for the ppc version using Desktop Manager).

It seems that everybody is asking for some driver or user interaction improvements so my nominees are:

1. Much better and faster updates for every driver
  2. Visual interaction is essential for many of us (so many window managers in linux and some are 3D enabled); make it happen (a change in this area)
  3. Better compatibility with other filesystems/operating systems, especially windoz and linux
  4. Can U bring some 3D in the same place where 2D was (could be very good looking)
  5. Apple is a big and creative company(especially a creative one), we should be amazed by some new features(xml based and not only - so many technologies are waiting to be used); do not let some other companies to dictate standards!

Instead argue with other entities what's right and what's wrong for the future of IT, Apple should listen to the users ... could be very creative. Not for 10.5 (leopard) but for sure ...Mac OS XI (eleven).

Those are all rather non-specific adjectives, better faster etc. Be specific. Do you mean you want an alternative windows manager to Aqua? Aqua is Mac OS to most of its users and i don't see them changing it anytime soon.

I'd say Mac OS was already very compatible with windows - i can't think of anything that has caused me problems so far and i've had macs joined to active directories. What else could apple support in your oppinion?

What do you mean bring 3D in the place of 2D - you mean like window effects and things similar to the way widgets spin around? Asking for new "XML based technologies" is a bit non-descript. XML is just a buzz word for what is just a markup language. It's what you do with it that counts.

i just want a way to change the default size of the finders column view so it doesn't truncate my long file names. the default is MADDENINGLY close to usability. if i didn't know better i'd think Havoc Pennington had something to do with it, it is just that sadistic. ;)

people have been bitching about this for years, i've been bitching about it for years, am bitching about it right now, and undoubtedly will be bitching about it a decade hence, cause they are never going to do anything about it. damn!

typical0aj.jpg

the amount of clicking and resizing of windows and finder columns in osX destroy the illusion that this is an os that "just works". though i can barely remember so long ago, i really had no usability issues with the os9 finder.

and i hate how under "Window" you have a Minimize, but no Maximize, and Zoom doesn't zoom anything it only makes things smaller, and when you click it again to unzoom it, it doesn't go back the way it was, it only expands vertically, so you have to click and resize it manually. sigh.

i want to be able to tile and untile finder windows.

fini :D

Allow cutting and pasting of files and folders. Not being able to do that is simply WEIRD.

the option is there, but it's GREYED OUT! you cannot cut and paste a file or a folder in OS X. all you can do is copy, then you have to go back and delete the damned things.

select, copy, navigate to destination, paste, navigate to originals, delete them. vs. select, cut, navigate to destination, paste

1. Support for other filesystems like ext3/UFS/NTFS/reiserfs (read/write)

2. Software uninstallers (like add/remove app/rpm -e /pkgrm .. )

3. Sound/Video support (Almost all HW)

4. Games

5. Application menu (like windows All programs menu)

6. CD/DVD burning application

I wish more n more features from Apple.

I want the option to display images as thumbnails in the finder.

In the finder action dropdown, choose view options, check "Show icon preview".

While you're there, change label position to "right", check "show item info" and possibly "Keep arranged by" can be set to what you want (I use "type").

That's a nice, informative icon view for ya.

4. Games

software uninstallers are pointless in osx - drag the application icon to the trash. If it was written properly it'll automatically delete any related files (since they're supposed to be contained within the icon's folder anyway according to apple coding specs). Occasional very complex installations DO have uninstallers - I think the adobe cs2 suite is an example of that.

4. Games

uninstallers only exist for apps that need them, eg adobe cs2 suite. Most apps uninstall perfectly by dragging the app's icon to the trash. It's that easy in OSX, get used to it.

application menu? that's the application folder. Complete list, no exceptions.

cd/dvd burning application? that's called Disk Utility, it's in the utilities folder in the application folder.

4. Games

uninstallers only exist for apps that need them, eg adobe cs2 suite. Most apps uninstall perfectly by dragging the app's icon to the trash. It's that easy in OSX, get used to it.

cd/dvd burning application? that's called Disk Utility, it's in the utilities folder in the application folder.

4. Games

Hi!

Well, I'm using MacOS X for a few days, and since I have used both Linux and Windows a lot, I guess I'll make a list adding some of what I read from another users wishes.

Window Management Improvements

- Move windows clicking anywhere

In Linux, or a X Window system, when you hold Alt and click with the left mouse button on almost ANY window, you can drag the window to a new location. This is one of the most used features of my X Window to me.

- Tile Windows

You now, horizontally, vertically, and, well, you can just forget about that useless cascade thing… hehehe

- Magnetic Windows

If the get close, side by side, the moving window could be attracted by the other window’s border. This would be very nice, and together the move windows clicking anywhere, well, the best window managing system ever

- Independent Window Management

One thing I experienced yesterday was that, since the menu bar is linked with the application, you can’t control the window, except move it. It would be great to have the ability to control the window independent of its working status. For instance, I was moving 30.000 e-mails from one IMAP mailbox to another IMAP mailbox on the same server and same account, but until Mail had finished, all I could do was to drag the window out of the desktop, since I couldn’t minimize it. And I believe this feature IS there, as Mac OS is X Window based. X Window need to have an application environment, like Gnome, and a window manager, like Enlightenment, BlackBox, Window Maker, etc. If the application freezes, the window manager can still do whatever the window allowed when created or altered, like move, resize, minimize, but, the contents would be just frozen or a flat background. This is a great change in Mac OS Bar coding, but would be amazing.

Finder Improvements

- Automatically resize to fit contents

There could be options for column view as "automatically resize to fit contents" with a size limit, since we are talking about something that can have to show some really long file names

- Create New Folder - menu item

A "create new folder" when you right click or command-click I guess (I have never used a real Mac) on the menu

Dock Bar List

There is on Gnome Panel of Linux an extremely nice "applet" which is the name they give for things on panel, with is like a list of Icons. You drag an application icon there and when you click on the list icon it shows you the icon list. I believe this could solve the requests about the applications list, without altering the nice and clear look of the dock

Mac OS Bar Autohide

As I’m a new Mac OS user, I don’t know if it’s possible, but if the Mac Bar could have an "autohide" feature like the Dock Bar… That would be nice, since after a few minutes using the OS, I had already memorized some shortcuts, and don’t need to have that area of my screen "lost"

Widgets on the Desktop

Widgets are amazing. But the need to use sysctl to change an option and then be able to drag a widget to the desktop is horrible. Besides, I couldn’t drag more than one widget, since when I call the dashboard, the widget that had previously been dragged to the desktop just go back to the dashboard

Better PalmOS iSync Support

As usual, it syncs the contacts and appointments, but why, oh my good lord, why they don’t sync the categories? This is one of the most useful features of both address book and date book. iCal is a wonderful built in feature, nice looking and easy to use, but with all my appointments without their categories, oh boy…

Well, I guess that is it. As I’ll be using this amazing OSs more and more, surely there will be another improvements I would like to see. :(

[]’s

Igor

CS2 actually doesn't have an uninstaller which is a bit of a pain. Uninstallation instructions for OSX basically boil down to a one page list of folders that you should delete - some of which won't exist on all installations and other folders that are there are not listed - a definite "could do better" for adobe on that one.

I wish they would add the option to display *all* hidden files in the finder to the GUI (and in open file dialogues) cause having to jump into terminal then scratch my head while i try to remember the command is a pain.

Going into the subject about 10.5 i would like to see the GUI more 3D i have read a few things about Independant GUI for medical institutions which you can "move" object in full 3D perspective, of course i have no idea how it will work, and I also read that Vista will drastically cahnge the GUI to be more 3D like.

Well we can't say nothing until we see Vista out.

Edited by Xracer

Those are all rather non-specific adjectives, better faster etc. Be specific. Do you mean you want an alternative windows manager to Aqua? Aqua is Mac OS to most of its users and i don't see them changing it anytime soon.

I'd say Mac OS was already very compatible with windows - i can't think of anything that has caused me problems so far and i've had macs joined to active directories. What else could apple support in your oppinion?

What do you mean bring 3D in the place of 2D - you mean like window effects and things similar to the way widgets spin around? Asking for new "XML based technologies" is a bit non-descript. XML is just a buzz word for what is just a markup language. It's what you do with it that counts.

I was talking about next generations of OS X and Aqua will be improved with features like 3D fully suported and more easier and accesible interface (if you'll see Office 12 from Micro$oft you'll be edificated) but in the same time there are many windows manager that already support 3D (luminocity came my mind).

In the compatibility part as I referred it was about wine and running windows application, about protocols (like ipv6, and other next generation protocols) which should erase the distance between different OS'es and about multimedia which (already well knowed) is very much in a proprietary sense of developement (maybe h.264 is closer by divx6 but it doesn't show it yet) and you know what it means when you install 10 codec packs to see a movie (not the same easier for Mac).

3D in the place where 2D was it's a matter of imagination. Longorn(Vista) will bring us some features but from Mac OS X we expect more (at least Vista already has).

And about XML .... there are so many new technologies to use and xml seems to be the base for all of them. Wouldn't be nice to have some webservices in OS X which could improve security, manage our computer and allow us to do it from another computer in a webbrowser, which cound make accesible our files independent the destination machine and all this services running on localhost?

I think there's more but this is my opinion for today and I expect the changes (even on filesystem level) to transform our Mac OS X in a very smart, accesible, good looking, and amazing Mac OS XI !!!

Regards, Barladeanu Marian :)