The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

hmm, all i can offer is getting the xp install cd and copying those files over (ntldr etc etc) and then editing boot.ini via the windows install cd and poin tit to your disk (it follows the same sort of foramt as OS X (disk no. # then partiton no. #)

ok so i am booting using acronis os selector and i installed osx and the first time i rebooted it went ok and now i took the dvd out and tried to boot using acronis and it says HFS+ partition error. i tried rebooting it with the dvd but the countdown gets to zero and it wants to reinstall again. any one have any suggestions. thanks for the help.

i just reinstalled EVERYTHING. it made me kinda mad but i needed my cimputer and i couldnt so anything else. now i can boot into windows with acronis but i cant boot into mac osx. it says HFS+ partition error. i dont know why becuase it worked last time around i installed. i have the same partition set up as last time and i dont know why its not working. the first reboot after installation it worked with dvd in and i rebooted it w/o dvd and it didnt work so i rebooted with dvd and it just wanted to reinstall it. any ideas. thanks for the help.

Reinstalled everything? So couldn't boot back in windows?

Same partitioning then, so primary partition for osx, right? Before any extended partition.

Forget acronis oss for now: disable oss, put the osx partiton active and reboot. Is it ok?

(the reason behing this is to remove any third party layer, and confront the problem itself; you can re-enable oss later)

(note: to re-enable oss, you'll need the acronis bootable cd, so don't forget to create it)

There is no need for any grub to dual boot. I have a Dell latitude with two NTFS partitions and installed MAC OS on a 3rd primary partition I created after I resized one of the above. I set this as bootable and the system boots by default in MAC OS X. If I press F8 at boot it displays the darwin boot menu from where i can select to boot the partition where my win XP is. VEry easy. No need for grub or acronis or other complicated procedures.

I also have mac drive, a software for windoz which allows you read/write on teh mac partitions, sweet. So, from windows I can use all my HD space !!! From MAc OS X I can read the NTFS drives but can't write on them.

To clarify: my partitions are like this:

1. winxp primary

2. extended with a logical ntfs parttion for data

3. mac os x primary bootable

to boot mac os x you don't necessarily need that partition to be first, just make it primary and bootable.

True, darwin or ntloader are quite sufficient for simple dual-boot windows/osx.

Usually people use grub because they already have a linux distro installed, or need to handle multiple windows installs; in this last case, grub or aoss are then very useful at hiding partitions to load another -- it depends how complicated is the setup.

==

I'm curious about your partition order though: some people have reported troubles when installing osx on a primary after an extended partition.

Have not tested that (alleged) problem myself though, but gave these people the benefit of the doubt.

So it's good to know it works for someone.

hey I've been lurking for quite a while, and I'm getting ready to get an osx86 machine going.... I have a lot of experience with dual boot setups and m$/linux installs, but there seems to be quite a lot of craziness getting osx86 and windose booting off the same drive.....

is it really this finicky, or should I just use drive sleds since I have them and have lots of drives?

thanks for the great forum... one more post in the hardware thread and I'll be back to searching and reading ;]

billy

Results vary.

Myself never had problems with: 1) creating primary partition type 0xAF (before extended partition); 2) making that partition active; 3) reboot on osx dvd and install; 4) finish testing the osx install (after a few reboots); 5) then later deciding which bootloader to use. All this on the same drive (osx on 2nd partition).

I always disable any boot manager before installing; that way i reduce sources of problems to pinpoint, if any.

Gday guys, i've just got my OSx86 installed and i'm trying to set up a dual boot with Windows XP.

Here's my current situation:

2 Partitions,

150GB OSX extended (journaled)

100GB Free Space (not formatted)

Anyway, i'm not sure how to format my second partition without destroying my current situation, any one got ideas?

I've been trying out the F8 thing at startup just to see if it will work, my keyboard is disabled during this stage (stupid i know, it works for bios page then turns off for darwin then it comes back on!).

Also, can i use the terminal to choose my active partition (incase something goes horribly wrong).

Thanks,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't read all 10 pages, but I tried XP as firs partition, OSX as second. CHAIN0 gave me HFP+ Partition Error. I found this app, OSLoader 2000 on the net, same error. Now I have XP on the first hard drive and OSX on the second hard drive. If I put the OSX drive as first on the cable, OSX boots. Ok, cool. But when I do F8 I can't find XP. Now in the Startup Disc utility, I can't point it to the XP partition either. So I am kind of stuck. I have Acronis boot manager to try tonight, but I am not hopeful.

Sombody said something about editing the darwin boot loader? Can I do this and have it see XP on the other drive?

Didn't read all 10 pages, but I tried XP as firs partition, OSX as second. CHAIN0 gave me HFP+ Partition Error. I found this app, OSLoader 2000 on the net, same error. Now I have XP on the first hard drive and OSX on the second hard drive. If I put the OSX drive as first on the cable, OSX boots. Ok, cool. But when I do F8 I can't find XP. Now in the Startup Disc utility, I can't point it to the XP partition either. So I am kind of stuck. I have Acronis boot manager to try tonight, but I am not hopeful.

Sombody said something about editing the darwin boot loader? Can I do this and have it see XP on the other drive?

I had the same problem with a new dual boot vista and osx. This thread may help. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...06&hl=vista

In short here is what worked for me:

Delete partitions. Create one partition. Install windows. In acronis create a second patition for osx - make it primary and format to fat32 (don't leave this out!). Use OSX install dvd and disk utility to reformat you previously formated fat32 partition to hfs. Install osx.

Sorry because I can't read all 10 Pages and because of bad English, now I have the simple question:

Do we have any applications to make the dual boot FROM WINDOWS XP that we can boot between Windows XP & Mac OSX no need restart? (Run MAC & Win in the sametime, switch between them by Log off and log in - like the way WINDOWS XP manage their Users)

Thanks in advanced!

I have read now so many threads and the wikis on chain0 but my setup just doesn't work.

In my case booting both mac os x and windos is not the problem, I just want to get the chain0

version to work, since I can than easily edit boot.ini when I want to(even hide MacOS at all).

My setup looks like that ( 1 physical disk):

1st partition: max os x (100 gb); Type:AF Boot:00

2nd partition: WinXPSP2 (200 gb); Type:07 Boot:80

Both system boot depending on what primary partition i set active.

I also can use the darwin bootloade (F8) when 1st partition is active.

I have downloaded chain0 and put it on my C (Windows boot and system partition).

I also edited boot.ini and included C:\chain0="Mac OS x86"

When I restart I get the windows bootmenu. But when I select Mac OS x86 I will get

the same many again. It seems as chain0 always leads to the second partition, where in

my case windows is installed. Everytime I select Mac OS x86 I will be thown back to the

bootmenu. When selction Windows everything is fine.

Can someone help me please. (Btw, I choose the order of the os's on purpose)

Hi,

I've read so many threads and still didn't found good answer.

Can somebody please tell me if it's possible (I belive it is) to triple boot the following systems:

1. OS X

2. Windows XP

3. Linux (whatever the distibution)

All threads I read are with Vista.

I need to ensure what's the installation sequence and how to do it to boot into all systems properly.

Thanks a lot !!! :blink:

I think the best way is: Use Linux Partition Mangager.Split your HDD (1st OS shoul be Win,2nd OSX)For safe Data in Linux you should have an Partition for your /home Directory(the you can reinstall your Linux without loss Data)

Install Win,OSX and last Linux to use the Grub Boot-Manager

The Grub Manager should see all Partitions exactly.

I THINK ACRONIS IS SH*T IT F*CKT UP MY WINDOUZ PARTITION !

DUALBOOT (OR trIPLE) WITH CHAIN 0 IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE YOUR FILES!

GRUB ITS ALSO GOOD I THINK

SALUDOS

GREETINGS

CIAO

Multi boot operating systems with Linux that are on separate drives with the BIOS. No Acronis & No Grub. Accomplished by selecting an F key during BIOS post to bring up a drive list or by actually entering the BIOS and prioritizing a drive. This is motherboard dependent.

1. I hooked a 500GB SATA drive to my system (alone) and loaded Windows XP

onto it.

2. I repeated the process with Osx86 onto a 360GB SATA drive (alone)

3. Once again with Linux Ubuntu 6.1 onto a 160GB SATA (alone)

4. All drives were added to the system each to it's specific plug in.

5. Testing either from a cold boot or restart, each drive was tested by

prioritizing it in the BIOS.

6. All booted normally except for Linux. It gave the error:

.bin.sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

(initramfs)

7. Why did it do this is the grand question... Why didn't it just behave

like the other OS's? And how do we fix it?

8. Reboot the system with the live Ubuntu CD with the complete array of

drives installed.

9. Select: Applications > Accessories > Terminal

10. In the Terminal Window type: sudo fdisk -l

11. I got this: (note colored text)

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 * 1 60800 488375968+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders

/dev/sdb1 * 1 18703 150231816 83 Linux

/dev/sdb2 18704 19457 6056505 5 Extended

/dev/sdb5 18704 19457 6056473+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdc: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders

/dev/sdc1 * 1 38914 312571192+ af Unknown

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

12. When same function is performed with only the Linux drive in place it

comes up as:

/dev/sda1 * 1 18703 150231816 83 Linux

/dev/sda2 18704 19457 6056505 5 Extended

/dev/sda5 18704 19457 6056473+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

This is the problem. It changed.

13. The menu.lst and the fstab files must be edited to reflect the “b”

which is what it becomes when the drives are all in the array.

14. If you are like me, 4 days ago I had no idea where you would find those

files.

15. First you need to log in a root or there is no way you will be able to

edit them.

16. Places > Home Folder > (hit up arrow twice) > double click “boot”

folder > double click “grub” folder and there you will find menu.lst

17. Places > Home Folder > (hit up arrow twice) > double click “etc” folder

> and there you will find fstab.

18. My Original menu.lst (single drive):

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic

quiet

savedefault

boot

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic (recovery mode)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro single

boot

title Ubuntu, memtest86+

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

quiet

boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

19.Edited menu.lst

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash

quiet

savedefault

boot

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic (recovery mode)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single

boot

title Ubuntu, memtest86+

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

quiet

boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

20.My Original fstab (stand alone drive):

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.

#

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# /dev/sda1

UUID=acf68984-8e11-4132-b926-ccd4c263201b / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

# /dev/sda5

UUID=56da790e-550a-4751-9fff-05baa2b53494 none swap sw 0 0

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

/dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

/dev/hdb /media/cdrom2 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

21.Edited menu.lst

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.

#

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# /dev/sdb1

UUID=acf68984-8e11-4132-b926-ccd4c263201b / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

# /dev/sdb5

UUID=56da790e-550a-4751-9fff-05baa2b53494 none swap sw 0 0

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

/dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

/dev/hdb /media/cdrom2 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

22.That's it! Enjoy.

Many Thanks to gn2 and bulldog for making me think!. It may not be the easiest way to skin the cat but it works. No GRUB and No Acronis. Although now you could set Windows to boot as your default drive, install the Acronis bootloader on Windows and Voila.. There ya go.

• 3 weeks later...

I havent seen dual boot with win2k, so here is my $.02. (Should be similar to XP)

1. Start with clean disk.

2. Used install DVD (osx) to create 2 partitions. (I made the second partition FAT32.)

3. Install OSX. Reboot and confirm that it is working.

4. Boot off win2k CD, format the FAT32 to NTFS and install - reboot to confirm that it is working.

5. Make the OSX the active partition using fdisk (I used a win98 boot CD).

6. Boot of the OSX DVD and go to utilities -> terminal.

7. enter (w/o quotes) "fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0". This repairs the MBR. (I think I could have done step 5 while here in terminal).

Now I'm dual booting OSX and windows 2000 via the darwin boot menu. I still have to hit F8 to choose the partition, but I'm sure I can edit the OSX boot file to prompt me to choose...

Man, I love this place. I'm learning so much!

• 2 weeks later...