• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

Luke Beale

Luke Beale

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey i've dual booted my mates HP dv1000 laptop (he wasn't ready to let go of windows lol)

I also tried dual booting on my own Hackintosh but gave up because i couldn't get the whole CHAIN0 thing working.

Knowing this I still tried it on my mates laptop and as before couldn't get dual boot working. No great problem i thought, i could still get into windows using the Start Up Disk Utility in mac and using the Install DVD to get back into Mac - so i left it.

I then turned my attention to the problem most people seem to be having with laptops, needing two scrrens to succesfully boot.

While trying to fix this i booted up the mac F8 menu to add some kernel flags. To my suprise it had two OSes listed, OSX and Windows! All i did then was edit my boot preferences to automatically hang at the F8 menu for 8 seconds.

Now if i want Windows I press a key, up then enter. If i want Mac press a key then enter (so double tap enter!) and attach my svideo screen ofcourse lol.

If anyone wants anymore info bout this feel free to PM. Also if anyone knows how to make my laptop screen the primary display or even remove the need for a second monitor feel FREEER to PM me lol.

Georgiles

Georgiles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Hackintosh

let us know in this thread how you did it! ...Share your experience here.

I have to reinstall. For some reason the MAC os does not recognize partition bigger than 128 Gb, so I recommend to not make the partition bigger. I have 2 ata hdd maxton and western Digital, both 250 Gb, both where recognized as 128 Gb.

Right now I'm preparing to reinstall.

silverbullit

silverbullit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Has anyone tried to dualboot vista and os x. Im going to use the disk utility to make os x primary. Let it boot of of that then later select vista. Hopes it works. Keep you posted.

booter

booter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i am new to this :( so plz don't flame :blink:

i have everything ready to install this but i had a question, when i duel boot, will it erase all the information already on my XP hard drive? i made a new partition for OSx86 and everything but i want to make sure first. and what is the full procedure to duel boot XP and OSx86 because i cant seem to find a good guide so i was hoping that you could help...

thanks in advance
~booter

skfjjwbwv

skfjjwbwv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I thought I'd give my own experiences trying to get a dual boot system to work. I had problems with getting the OSX side to boot and I followed lots of guides and tried loads of things that were suggested. But in the end I discovered it was my partitioning program that had caused the problem. And not an obvious one, either. It had just used the next slot in the partition table to put the data for my new OSX partition. Now this slot was at the end of the table, after my extended/logical partitions, even though the new partition was a primary partition directly after the first primary partition (on the disk). Not many partitioning programs let you see the actual partition table in its listing order (they show you fancy graphical views or sort the list). With hindsight, I should have noticed that the installer was referring to my partition as "disk0s4", meaning it was slice 4 on the disk rather than slice 2 like I was expecting (with slice 1 being my XP partition).

In the end I fixed this manually using fdisk (by chance, the Mac OS X install disk actually helped me boot one of my attempts at a bootable OSX install so I used the OS X version of fdisk!). This is the rather raw Unix fdisk, and I'm not sure if there's a Windows equivalent out there (one that shows you the partition table properly, and also lets you edit it). Anyway, if you think you've got everything right but you still can't boot OSX, this might be something to investigate. One way to get a clean partition table in the correct order is to back up your partitions, completely wipe the disk, then restore your partitions back in the appropriate order.

The other thing that I found to be critical was setting the new OSX partition to be the Active one when booting from the Mac OS X install disk and doing the install. I also followed other advice given here and did an Erase on my new partition from the Disk Utility at the first main installer prompt, then rebooted and installed to this clean partition. Of course, you then need access to a utility to put your XP partition back as the Active one (then use the chain0 and boot.ini on XP to give a boot menu).

Anyway, just my experience with the frustrating chain0 and partitioning programs.

stargatefan

stargatefan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
:D :D :) After about two days of trying i finally got a quad boot up and running. Mandrake Linux, OSX, WinXp, and Vista!!! Vista is the only one that can't find my network adapter stupid drivers are messed up. I am so relieved i gave up so may times but something told me i could do it. Grub is the best bootloader IMO

Andrew Syn

Andrew Syn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Has anyone tried to dualboot vista and os x. Im going to use the disk utility to make os x primary. Let it boot of of that then later select vista. Hopes it works. Keep you posted.

So... did you make it work?

I don't have Win XP installed on the laptop I'm trying this, as I only installed Mac OS and Vista... but, I'm reading there isn't even any boot.ini, so I really don't know where to go.

Any help is appreciated.

fyi

fyi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Anyway, just my experience with the frustrating chain0 and partitioning programs.

What's the world record of booting multiple OSes from multiple harddrives? Why keep letting limited CHAIN0 frustrating you? Running SPFDisk under pure DOS might not be easy for any beginner because you have to get a working good old DOS first. But, it's definitely easier than making chain0 to work. Go checking the free SPFdisk here. Oh, by the way, SPFDisk supports booting up to 15 partitions. Though it's definitely not the champion of multi-booting but that would be more than just enough.

evgenisco

evgenisco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Sure I have chain0 file in my WinXP disk (that it is a RAID/SATA setup) and the Mac OS X Disk in the PATA channel, and it loads perfectly.

Man, i have a similar setup for storage (software intel raid/sata drives for windows) and i want to add osx86 on separate ata drive. i need to know if the osx86 can read data from the raid/sata windows drives.
Thank you.

private

private

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Oh Nooo!
I've installed Vista and now I lost OsX86.
At the startup the message 'HFS+ error'....

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
Make osx active, boot in osx, and see if darwin bootloader will take care of vista.

private

private

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Make osx active and then HFS+ error.
I can't boot OsX.

specialagented

specialagented

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry if this question is unrelated. :offtopic:

I created a new FAT32 Partition on the HDD that I am wanting to install Mac OSX. I tried setting it as a Primary Partition and as a Logical Partition, but when I go to install Mac, my HDD shows up in the Disk Utilities, but not the seperate partitions? What could I be doing wrong? Do I need to set the FAT32 partition as Active? I can't seem to do this from windows.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Ed D.

specialagented

specialagented

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
BTW: I have a SATA HDD.

Hsarci

Hsarci

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Just for my Input...

I have Windows XP SP2 and MacOSX 10.4.7 working on a dual boot FLAWLESSLY.

Heres my system:

Dell Latitude C640(aka Inspiron 4150)
P4m 2.0GHz SSE2
Crystal Audio Sound Card (doesn't show up in the system profile but still works!)
ATI Radeon 7500 (working with QE support thanks to this thread + callisto .005 )
Intel Pro Wireless 2100 3A (this is not working but I have a OSX compatible internal wireless on the way)

I used JaS 10.4.7 Repack with the Combo Update, Wireless Patch, and SSE2 Patch.

I have 1 single hard drive with 2 partitions.

Basically to get the dual boot to work on what I'm assuming is ALL hackintosh's alll you have to do is edit this file: com.apple.Boot.plist (loacted in Library/Preferences/System Configuration)

Make sure that these lines are included:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
		<string>No</string>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<string>10</string>

And your all good to GO! Mac will recognize your windows partition as a bootable OS and give you 10 seconds to choose which one you wish to boot.

Hsarci

Hsarci

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Just for my Input...

I have Windows XP SP2 and MacOSX 10.4.7 working on a dual boot FLAWLESSLY.

Heres my system:

Dell Latitude C640(aka Inspiron 4150)
P4m 2.0GHz SSE2
Crystal Audio Sound Card (doesn't show up in the system profile but still works!)
ATI Radeon 7500 (working with QE support thanks to this thread + callisto .005 )
Intel Pro Wireless 2100 3A (this is not working but I have a OSX compatible internal wireless on the way)

I used JaS 10.4.7 Repack with the Combo Update, Wireless Patch, and SSE2 Patch.

I have 1 single hard drive with 2 partitions.

Basically to get the dual boot to work on what I'm assuming is ALL hackintosh's alll you have to do is edit this file: com.apple.Boot.plist (loacted in Library/Preferences/System Configuration)

Make sure that these lines are included:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
		<string>No</string>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<string>10</string>

And your all good to GO! Mac will recognize your windows partition as a bootable OS and give you 10 seconds to choose which one you wish to boot.

BlackCH

BlackCH

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
...for the record...

I have Windows XP and OSX dual booting and working great. I have a single HD with 4 partitions. (at one point I had 2 XP and 2 Osx all boting OK, just for testing)

Since I can not boot the Install DVD ('cos IDE hardware setting) the first method I used was the dd method guide. Man, it works great. Still if you want to install from the DVD I suggest you generate the OSX partition you're planing to install in, as explained there.
After I played around with the deadmoo img , I wanted to have a fresh OsX installation. So, for that I used Vmware 5 , and 10.4.6 Myz DVD. Luckly the DVD boots within Vmware. I bulided a suitable virtual machine and asigned a physical partition (the one with the deadmoo image) as primary master HD, the DVD must be primary slave. Then boot from the installation DVD. It takes its time until the menu bar comes up. From utilities/disk utility , I erased the deadmoo partition and then install a fresh version of OsX there. like that I get a 6 gb partition for OsX (is ok for me, my HD is no so big), but if you want a bigger partition I guess Diskpart would do (read the guide from the link above!).
Finally to multiboot Im using Acronis Boot Selector. It works great. Just install it and it goes by it self. You get a 'windowslike' boot menu with mouse support where you can select OSs and modify settings for eachone. Also it autodetects all OSs from your HDs.

This guide is also nice. I wouldnt use spfdisk as said there thow. I prefer the partition manager recovery CD.

must haves:
-Paragon Partition Manager (the recovery CD version too!). Is great if you want to resize and make new partitions.....
-Vmware. Would help you if you have troubles to boot natively. You could try to boot your physical OsX partition from vmware and fix what is wrong.
-Norton Ghost. Just in case it goes totally wrong, you can go back to your windows....
-Acronis Disk Director. To get the boot selector from.

well....thats that.

Alcyone

Alcyone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
OSL2000 (a free program) is the easiest and most hassle free way to boot multiple operating systems. I tried every method in the book and this was the only thing that worked. Just install it under windows and when you reboot, you get a list of partitions to chose from.

johnnytluxury

johnnytluxury

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Is OSL200 fast, tho? Acronis OSS was too slow for my likings (I know, i know, Im being picky), so is OSL2000 faster?

Alcyone

Alcyone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Reletively. But eventually you get a nag if you don't register it. You have to hit OK to clear the nag. It went away fairly quickly when I was tri booting with osx, vista and xp but when I added linux the nag started taking about 3-5 seconds to clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy