• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

JohnFM3

JohnFM3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I havent gone thru all 26 pages of this thread.
I am going to go straight to posting my question.

Dual booting Linux (OpenSuSE 11.3) and Snow Leopard.

What has worked for others? I have a functioning OSX install, but I am using the full hard drive.

Should I install Linux First or OSX first? Does anyone know weather Linux can resize a Mac partition? I normally use GRUB for my boot loader, should I plan on using that first or boot grub from Mac boot loader?

There should be a sticky HowTo on this topic.

John

HackintoshIT

HackintoshIT

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I am just having a blast running my convertible tablet pc on a mac. My system is an Asus R1-E Tablet PC and 90% of major functions are working, including inking, and pen input except wireless of course (ordering USB wifi to replace Intel 4965AGN). Anyway, this thread is all about multibooting so I'll get to it.

Currently, I'm running Win7 and Mac OSX 10.6.5. Here are the steps I did:

Requirements:
  • Windows (Whatever) CD/DVD (Preferably win7)
  • Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD (of course)
  • Compatible Mac OSX bootloader CD & ISO versions (##### and nawcom are few examples)
  • Grub4Dos (http://www.themudcra...fficial_release).zip)
  • Grubinst gui (http://download.gna....-2008-01-01.zip)
  • CD/DVD Burner
  • Blank/Reformatted Hard Drive
  • Mac OSX 10.6.5 update (optional-if you want to upgrade)
  • ##### CD with Multi-Beast (optional-only for upgrading to 10.6.5)

Before starting:

1. Find and burn a bootloader that FULLY boots to the Mac OSX Snow Leopard DVD. You will use this CD to boot into mac AND windows because the preinstalled bootloader may be older than the CD and may not boot successfully into Mac. (For my system, I used the nawCom bootloader available here: http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=446) If you can't find a compatible bootloader, try to "fix it up" using other advanced guides or wait for an update.
2. BACKUP ANY DATA YOU WANT TO KEEP on an external, then disconnect it.

Partitioning (assuming basic knowledge of Disk Utility):
1. After successfully booting to the Mac DVD, run disk utility
2. Select the hard-disk you want to dual boot. Erase the entire disk (don't do secure erase)
3. Split the disk to 2 or more partitions using the MBR PARTITION SCHEME (NOT GUID)

NOTES ON THIS STEP:
-Designate the FIRST partition to be the windows-based system (it will be the boot volume), so format the first partition as NTFS
-Format the succeeding partitions according to your desired OSes. In this case, Partition 2 (Mac OSX) will be formatted as Mac OSX (Journaled)

Install the systems:
1. After partitioning, install Mac OSX (de-select the additional fonts, printers, and other unnecessary stuff except the custom ones to quicken install)
NOTE: If the restart fails (hangs) AFTER successfully installing Mac OSX, you may need to force it to shutdown (hold power button)--just this one time
2. Using your working boot cd, attempt to boot to OSX. If you fail, try other bootloaders or options.
3. Install other systems accordingly (Each system should have its own partition)
4. As we all know, windows will ignore any other OS in its bootloader, so install that LAST. (If you don't, you'll have to repair the BCD store later)

Upgrading to 10.6.5 (Optional)
1. Insert the ##### cd while in Mac OSX. Then just open Multi-Beast and leave it open. (Reopen it if it closes any time)
2. If you want to update to 10.6.5, install the update package as usual but DON'T REBOOT.
3. After update is complete, don't close installer. Switch to multi-beast and use the Easy-beast method and let it do its magic :).
4. Remove the ##### cd and restart.
5. If all goes well, you should be able to boot into mac sucessfully, If not, the update is not compatible with your system yet (Or the bootloader isn't compatible with the update).

NOTE: Quirky stuff may happen after updating. In my case, the microphone seems to be connected to line-output producing audible feedback--easily corrected by muting the mic (however, upon every reboot).

Installing the bootloader to harddrive (assuming knowledge of grub):
1. Once you're in windows, use grubinst gui to install Grub to the WHOLE DISK (You will get an error if you chose GUID as your partition scheme during partitioning)
2. Copy grldr (from grub4dos) to the ROOT of your WINDOWS system
3. Copy the compatible mac bootloader's ISO to the same location as above
4. Configure your menu.lst to boot to that ISO using the --mem option (See below for my menu example)

NOTE: You can install the Grub bootloader any way you like. I just use the gui cause it's easier.

If all goes well, every time you reboot, Grub will redirect you to the custom bootloader which will allow you to boot to mac, windows, or any partition/system. Enjoy your Hackintosh!

Summary:
1. Erase and partition disk using MBR partition scheme from mac dvd
2. Install OSX on second partition (update is optional)
3. Install other systems on other partitions except the first (optional)
4. Install Windows on first partition
5. Install and configure grub to boot to the working ISO bootloader for Mac

Just to let you know, I'm not an advanced user. I just improvise or find whatever works and stick with it or improve it. No one method works for anyone. So, if you fail like I did initially, try again! Experiment! Google is your friend :)

My menu.lst (SAMPLE)
default 1timeout 2title Boot from Hard Drive - Windows Vista / 7 (BOOTMGR)\ncontinue booting to windows vista or 7fallback 2find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /bootmgrmap () (hd0)map (hd0) ()map --rehooktitle NawCom bootloadermap --mem (hd0,0)/NawCom031.iso (hd32)map --hookchainloader (hd32)boot

momavujisic

momavujisic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Hackintosh & Battlefield
I can't find too many topics on people using two separate hard drives to run OS X......

Okay, my Hackintosh is up and running. Now, I want to plug back in my other hard drive that has my Win7 installation so I can play games and stuff. However, I am having some trouble doing that....

So, I plug in my hard drive, and turn my computer and look at that, Chamelon recognizes my other OS great!

However, I see two Windows options: Windows NTFS, and System Reserved. So, I'll choose Windows NTFS just to see what happens, and well I get a black screen saying "bootmgr not found, press ctrl alt del to restart"

That doesn't look to good, okay, I'll try the other one. So when I click the System Reserved option, it actually looks like Windows 7 is booting up, however, that is quickly broken by a quick BSoD and then my system restarting.

So then, how would I go about fixing this? I know my installation isn't broken because, if I change my BIOS settings back to their defaults, I can boot into Windows (but obviously not OS X), and I don't want to risk tweaking my BIOS settings now because it might break my current stable Hackintosh....

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the dual booting working? I have OS X on one 1TB hard drive and Windows 7 on another 1TB hard drive.

Thanks!

mihaiv

mihaiv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hello !!

I have an Asus Pro52Lseries with Intel CPU T1500 @ 1.86 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, Intel GMA X3100 Gfx video, win7 and iAtkos s3 v2 Snow Leopard. I have 2 problem with chameleon and wireless ..

1. I have 4 partition... 1st win7 and 2nd Mac os x. Chameleon not working ... I attached 2 pics

2. My wifi card is Atheros AR5007EG.. I've tried with kismac, but nothin and airport is stopped it can not start.

Thank you.

Attached Files

PortVortex

PortVortex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Graphics and 3D modelling.
Hi. I´m new to dual Boot.
I have tried EasyBCD to boot into both Windows7 and Mac OS X, but i can only successfully boot Win7, i get KP on Mac OS X.
If i F8 boot from the Mac drive with Chameleon v2 RC4 i can load OS X SL 10.6.6 perfect but Windows 7 with random BSOD and no Sleep/insomnia issue.

The Mac OS X is retail installed on a separate disk with GUID table.

Can i use EasyBCD or is there another way to have dualboot?

camoguy

camoguy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

I can't find too many topics on people using two separate hard drives to run OS X......

Okay, my Hackintosh is up and running. Now, I want to plug back in my other hard drive that has my Win7 installation so I can play games and stuff. However, I am having some trouble doing that....

So, I plug in my hard drive, and turn my computer and look at that, Chamelon recognizes my other OS great!

However, I see two Windows options: Windows NTFS, and System Reserved. So, I'll choose Windows NTFS just to see what happens, and well I get a black screen saying "bootmgr not found, press ctrl alt del to restart"

That doesn't look to good, okay, I'll try the other one. So when I click the System Reserved option, it actually looks like Windows 7 is booting up, however, that is quickly broken by a quick BSoD and then my system restarting.

So then, how would I go about fixing this? I know my installation isn't broken because, if I change my BIOS settings back to their defaults, I can boot into Windows (but obviously not OS X), and I don't want to risk tweaking my BIOS settings now because it might break my current stable Hackintosh....

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the dual booting working? I have OS X on one 1TB hard drive and Windows 7 on another 1TB hard drive.

Thanks!

I have osx and win 7 on seperate drives. I did some searching myself, and my solution was as simple as, select the "system reserve" partition instead of the one which actually is my main partition for the win7 os. Then a few cosmetic changes to /extra/com.apple.boot.plist to hide the main win7 partition, and rename the system reserved to windows. Reason it says bootmgr not found, is that main windows partition doesn't contain the boot files, it only contains the kernel/hal. The efi partition windows creates during the install is where it installs the boot file that tells the bootloader where to find the kernel.

ralpho

ralpho

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I formatted my drive with mac into 3 partitions the first thing I did then was install lion.
Then I installed win7 and let it get the mbr. I now have a left over fat drive to share data.

I boot into osx with a dvd, I dont want boot menus because wife uses this lappy too.

Is there a way to make a bootable usb pen to take the place of my dvd boot.

I can use a 8 gig stick to burn the iso to it from mac but I am not sure the pc bios will see it when I select boot from usb.

Any Ideas. Comments.

Glad to tell how I did it.

xDeepS

xDeepS

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. Geek stuff. Tweeting.
I have an Asus X53S Notebook. Mac and Windows set to dualboot :)

Here's how I installed it:

• Installed Windows 7
  • Install Lion on top of it under a partition.
  • Boot broke and I got boot0 errors so I had to manually install Chameleon. (I have one of those 4kb harddrives)
  • So it all works now. When I turn it on boot0 flashes and Chameleon loads.
Had issues with Windows Hibernation which I solved in this thread of mine:
http://www.insanelym...l=&fromsearch=1

asasinuxp

asasinuxp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I have a snow leopard and a linux installed,because grub don't want to load mac os,I need to use chameleon to load linux. How I can do this?This is the version of chameleon: 2.1 r1627

StannY

StannY

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I also have a dual boot, but after installing a bootloader via ###### (otherwise, it would always boot into windows without an option to choose OSX), my windows doesn't boot anymore... All I get is a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. after a couple of seconds, the screens goes black and the blinking cursor re-appears... anyone an idea what to do?

mirecek1965

mirecek1965

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Please, help me.
My situation: ASROCK Z77 Pro4, i5 3450 iVY bridge, first disk SSD OCZ Vertex3 60 GB with installed Windows 8 UEFI, second disk WD Blue is splitted to two partitions, first is NTFS, second is HFS+ Journaled, where is installed ML. When i select booting from first disk, Windows boots. When i select boot from second disk, ML boots. How can i add boot ML to Windows 8 boot menu? I try adding entry to boot OSX with EasyBCD, but no luck. Thanks.

Nemorosus

Nemorosus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
I did this... on my laptop:

1. Install Lion
2. Download Mountain Lion
3. Recover it on an USB
4. Install Mountain Lion (iAtkos ML2)
5. Install Windows
6. Reinstall Chameleon

Done.

mbembi

mbembi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:network security, GNU, nix*.
Triple O/S boot with Chameleon, on GPT (GUID Partition Table) without UEFI.

Warning: This Tutorial at own your risk.

GNU/Linux & OSX can boot on GPT/MBR partition without problem.
win7 just can boot on GPT partition if we have UEFI. source: http://msdn.microsof...e/gg463525.aspx
that's why we must use GPT with Hybrid (GPT+MBR), Hybrid mode max 3 partition recognize, like normal MBR just 3 primary partition.
- source: http://www.rodsbooks...isk/hybrid.html

MBR :
Disk signature is 440Kb first of sector HDD
Boot Loader is 446Kb first of sector HDD
Boot record is 512Kb first of sector HDD
source: http://mbrwizard.com/thembr.php

reconstruction your partition with gptfdisk - http://sourceforge.n...jects/gptfdisk/
-> dd - http://en.wikipedia...../wiki/Dd_(Unix)
like this (just sample):

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size	 Code Name
1		 40	 409639 200.0 MiB EF02 EFI System Partition
2	 411648		 104857600 49.8 GiB	 AF00 Apple HFS/HFS+
3	 105121792	 109316095 2.0 GiB 8200 swap
4	 109578240	 172492799 30.0 GiB	 0700 GNU-linux
5	 172754944	 382468095 100.0 GiB 0700 win
6	 382730240	 913596415 253.1 GiB 0700 data
7	 913858560	 976510983 29.9 GiB	 AF00 backup

and make hybrid (MBR) like this:

Number Boot Start	 Sector End	 Sector Status	 Code
1	 1 	 411647 primary	 0xEE
2	 411648	 104857600	 primary	 0xAF -> osx
3	 172754944 382468095	 primary	 0x07 -> win
4	 382730240 913596415	 primary	 0x07 -> data

without boot flag partition. After that,

1. Install osx with Chameleon better use boot0md instead boot0,
Save disk signature 440Kb (this is 440Kb from 512Kb of boot0 or boot0md chameleon) with dd, #dd if=/dev/sdx of=/path/to/image/name count=1 bs=440
-> can booted with Chameleon
2. Install GNU/Linux, but install Grub2 on your partition GNU/Linux (sdXY = Y number partition) not on HDD (sdX = X is number of HDD)
-> still can booted with Chameleon and automatic recognize GNU/Linux partition if partion code 0700, can't recognize with partion code 8300 (cause this new code on gptfdisk and may be later chameleon can). If booted goes to grub2, you wrong installe grub2, but no matter, run to next step..
3. Install win7,
Save win7 boot record (512Kb) for backup, #dd if=/dev/sdx of=/path/to/image/name count=1 bs=512
-> booted just win7, Chameleon gone.
source: http://www.debianhel...k/ddcommand.htm

with live GNU/Linux or win7 with gptfdisk installed, restore disk signature 440Kb from Chameleon we save
#dd if=/path/to/image/name of=/dev/sdX
and
with gptfdisk, edit hybrid (MBR) boot flag, from win to osx, like this:

Number Boot		 Start Sector		 End Sector	 Status	 Code
1				 1		 411647	 primary	 0xEE
2	 *		 411648			 104857600	 primary	 0xAF
3			 172754944		 382468095	 primary	 0x07
4			 382730240		 913596415	 primary	 0x07

summary: win7 need from 441 - 512Kb of first sector HDD to run.

alboz83

alboz83

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Sorry guys, i have dual boot with Iatkos ML2 (updated to 10.8.3) and Windows 8, on same disk (GPT partition). Dual boot works, but i have problems.
- Windows update don't works, i can't install any update
- Safe mode and advance reboot menu there isn't,
- If i reboot from windows 8, at the boot i get error (boot0 not found)

Can you help me? Thanks

Pcsx2006

Pcsx2006

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Surfing web, Tech Gadgets
Hi Guys !
I installed ML 10.8.3 fully working with full hardware acceleration, I got only one problem i cant boot from hard disk i have to use usb everytime for getting to chameleon bootloader menu, and if i install windows 8 after OSX installation then without usb it says "boot0: done" and it loads windows 8 and if i install OSX before windows 8 it says "boot0: error" i tried each and every guide for manually installing chameleon "boot1h" from OSX installer but its doesnt work, plz i need help.

My Notebook specs are....

dell inspiron 15r 5520
cpu = Intel core i5 3210m
ram = 4gb ddr3 1600mhz
gpu = intel hd 4000 & ati hd 7670m
500gb Seagate 5400rpm hdd "Hybird GPT/MBR partition scheme"

1st partition is efi 200mb
2nd partition is OSX
3rd partition is Windows 8
4th partition is Backup storage

rsch2010

rsch2010

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a custom-built computer. Here are my specs:
MB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @3.5 Ghz (8-core)
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 650 2 GB DDR5
Optical: Pioneer BD-RW 207D
Hard Drive: ST1000DM 003-1CH162 SATA
RAM: 16 GB DDR3

I have tried all sorts of Methods I have tried the OS86 Projects Mod/Boot CD for AMD processors. I have booted the computer successfully with the mod cd in the drive, then after it comes up to swap the disc with the mac OS X 10.6.7 DVD, I put it in the drive and then I push F5 to refresh. Then I press "Enter" for it to progress on to the installation screen that everyone else gets to, not me though, :0(.

Currently I am using half of the space as a NTFS partition (500 GB) with Windows 7 Professional (x64) and the other half is a HFS+ partition, which was prepped by Gparted which i would like to put my mac install here in the HFS+ partition of course.

I have followed the instructions to a T, and what happens every time, is that I get a instant restart every time after it says "Press any key to continue." What am I doing wrong. could someone help. Thank you.

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:pc, hackintosh, servers, soccer, xbox360, work

This is my very detailed triple boot guide:

http://www.insanelym...li-acer-s3-391/

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:pc, hackintosh, servers, soccer, xbox360, work

my Triple boot setup, most of you have seen it

http://www.insanelym...e-true-gpt-ssd/

vinnychase

vinnychase

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi insanelymac... 

i'm having some trouble with my dual-boot and posted to /r/hackintosh but it doesn't get as much visability as i would like.

http://goo.gl/kVJUhi

Greetings,

I'm a little stuck here...

1) I installed Windows 8.1 (EFI) to my first SSD. Booted up and installed drivers, It is fully working.

2) Unplugged SSD1 plugged in SSD2 and installed OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 (recently upgraded to 10.9.4) using CLOVER and i installed the audio driver and everything else seems fine (still missing the clock fix and i get that rainbow snow using maps)

3) When i boot into the clover bootloader i am able to successfully boot into mac osx. and this works everytime. however none of the windows options allows me to boot into windows. please see the linked youtube video to see what options i have. (http://youtu.be/KORQc_nFtmQ) and the attached imgur for the partition setup i have... http://imgur.com/UGNvkGa

i feel like i'm really close to figuring this out but all the stuff i've read online don't really get into this.

at somepoint i know i can clear up all the drives by editing the file but now i'm not even able to successfully boot into windows using the bootloader.

thanks folks!

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

@vinnychase: you should post this in the Clover section, this topic is not very active. Add a DarwinDumper report too to see what's really happening in your system. And what does it do when you try to load each Windows entry?

Also add some hardware details into your signature so people can help you fix that maps glitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy