Why is a Mac any better than Vista?

181 posts in this topic

I've always wondered, what exactly makes a "Mac" better than "Vista." What features do Macs have that Vista does not have? From what I have seen, any feature that is available in one operating system can easily be emulated in the other. So how exactly is one better than the other?

i cannot believe people WHO ACUTALLY USED BOTH can see no difference between those OS´s...

as for my needs, vista is something that makes me play games to get away from that ugly interface with a hell of usability - in os x i work. its not such a crappy shiny non-functional ui with no respect on user interface guidelines, its just nearly perfect for me.

how many people do really switch back? that is the interesting question. i think its below 1% (and that are either pro-users who cannot live without specific windows-shortcuts and functions, or people who are too dumb to get used to a new interface)...

as you sure know, this is my opinion, it should not be yours, but if it is, great. ;-)

Vista and Mac are 2 kind of operating systems. Mac is simply, usefull and fast. Vista is fast and there are more programms available. but mac has more quality apps than vista.

So i love mac more. Its faster, and has much better programms and options.

It has been said many times that vista is Microsoft's attempt at Mac OS X - and in some way's it's true. There's a lot less of a gap between them that between Tiger and XP. Why? Things Microsoft have "borrowed" from OS X in Vista.

Accelerated GUI,

"Widgets",

The minimalistic display style.

To a certain extent, Finder. I think Windows Explorer has now surpassed it, but it's what they seem to have based it on.

They've also borrowed an element or two from Sun Microsystems - most notably their rip-off of the Looking Glass project: That innovative 3D viewing? Not so innovative.

Still, Vista is very Microsot and very Windows. The hardware requirements are stupid. I can run tiger's accelerated GUI on a G3 700 from the early 2000's - And a whole lot more on top. Not gonna happen with Aero. The complicated garbage thrown into the UI is still there. I think my favourite part of Vista is the sidebar. Right after Longhorn testers first saw it in the early alpha's of Vista (1993) they created a version for Windows 2000/XP - it's a damn good application, too. Yet to try Microsoft's version.

Oh, and I love their new stream of iLife-competing applications. That "Solitaire" game - now looks like accelerated graphics to me! Ooh yeah! And those textures, mmm!

ever tried to change your "location" on a Windows?(without third party software!!!) no way....

and a mac simply works....and if not, you have the target disk mode or net boot.

Well that's the point in my post, what can't I get on Windows that I can get on a Mac with the help of Third Party Software.

So far the only responses I've gotten are Macs are more "usable" and their UI is "prettier." Isn't that more of an opinion rather than what Vista lacks that Mac has?

In the big scheme of things, there is really not that much that you can't do that would be identical between Windows and Mac.

In the big scheme of things, anything you can do on a Mac, you can do under Windows.

Anything you do under Windows you can do under both Mac and Linux.

The real issue there is "gaming", in which there are plenty of options available to you that will let pretty much everything run, however it's performance may be significantly slower than under Windows due to the fact that it is either through emulation or through a re-written compatability layer for execution of the code through a wrapper.

macs dont go "are you shure you wanna do this" every time you click on something.... and you dont need to do any virus/spyware scans on a mac

The first one can be disabled. And the second is very avoidable with with basic internet knowledge and common sense.

macs dont go "are you shure you wanna do this" every time you click on something.... and you dont need to do any virus/spyware scans on a mac

To what you specified, neither do windows machines. Now crawl back into mommy's basement.

Vista and Mac are 2 kind of operating systems. Mac is simply, usefull and fast. Vista is fast and there are more programms available. but mac has more quality apps than vista.

So i love mac more. Its faster, and has much better programms and options.

i thought there where only 30 approved apps for vista

how many of them are viruses? :thumbsup_anim:

Probably the biggest thing that Macs have over anything you can do on Vista is iLife and the integration between its apps.

There are also many more that are not approved, but work very well with Vista. (Think of it as.. Rosetta and Power PC Applications on Intel Macs)

how many of them are viruses? :thumbsup_anim:

Probably the biggest thing that Macs have over anything you can do on Vista is iLife and the integration between its apps.

The Windows Media Center (the Windows "equivalent" of iLife), also offers great integration between its apps. Third party software developers can also create iLife like applications in a suite (Adobe for example) that is well integrated too.

There are also many more that are not approved, but work very well with Vista. (Think of it as.. Rosetta and Power PC Applications on Intel Macs)

The Windows Media Center (the Windows "equivalent" of iLife), also offers great integration between its apps. Third party software developers can also create iLife like applications in a suite (Adobe for example) that is well integrated too.

WMC is a full screen media player (one one app), it doesn't do half the things that iLife can. As for 3rd parties, no one has yet to make something that is as simple/integrated as iLife. Adobe makes wonderful products, but none of them fill the gap of iLife.

And one thing that Windows doesn't have and can't emulate is OSX's Unix core.

WMC is a full screen media player (one one app), it doesn't do half the things that iLife can. As for 3rd parties, no one has yet to make something that is as simple/integrated as iLife. Adobe makes wonderful products, but none of them fill the gap of iLife.

Actually, read the Windows Vista Utlimate Comparison sheet. For those who actually use Vista, (When I did Anytime Upgrade), Ultimate allows you to run Unix Applications.

Anyway, I'm actually pleased with the maturity of this thread. Most people are giving objective fair mature opinions, and giving credit where credit is due on both sides. I'm just waiting for DJPC to come and wreck it.

You can run Unix applications on Vista.

And after a certain threshold, what iLife provides is too limited for the advanced user to use. And all of the advanced applications are available to both windows and mac.

Features being roughly equal, If you used both you should know that:

OS X is easier to use than Vista, easier => better

As a result it's a more enjoyable user experience than vista (if that is enjoyable at all)

That's an opinion. Many people may find Vista is easier because they are used to the layout of XP for example.

You can run Unix applications on Vista.

And a mac can run Windows apps. I'm talking about the actual code base of the OS.

EFI is another thing that Windows doesn't work with. And the fact that apps in OSX are contained in their own packages, no system wide registry or dll library.

I think the system requirements between the two speak for themselves. OS X is a better coded os and vista is just another hog. My G3 runs tiger fine and doesn't have a 256 meg video card like Vista requires.

That's an opinion. Many people may find Vista is easier because they are used to the layout of XP for example.

The layout of Vista is nothing like that of XP. I was actually anticipating the release of Vista when MS claimed they were redesigning it from the ground up.... They lied.

- Mac OS X is absolutely different with Vista from where the code built.

UNIX BSD based, XNU kernel adopted from Steve's NeXT OS

Pure object-oriented operating system, only the successful one which gone commercial,

another OO OS still on the Labs, experimental, or just prototipe

- Vi$ta is using BIOS -same with another OSs out there-, Mac is using EFI

- Mac was optimized with QuartzExtreme and CoreImage then it affect on faster

graphics renderer, even if only uses OpenGL - no DirectX on Mac

- Vi$ta claimed that it is now had a better graphics interface, but what the hell?

it needs min. 512mb RAM (recommended 1 GB) and graphic cards with VRAM 256mb

- Vi$ta do not do innovation, it just COPYING (spotlight, window shade, ...)

"Good artist copy, great artist steal"

I say, "best artist innovate" :)