Why is a Mac any better than Vista?

181 posts in this topic

"Why is a Mac any better than Vista?"

In my case, Vista takes 3-4 minutes to boot while OS X takes 30 seconds.

Vista is very sluggish and sometimes unresponsive whenever I open an application of a folder.

I hate the colors used in vista's GUI, it's just too dark, dull and inconsistent. Aero does not match the color of the window or application.

Beautiful elegance. Like the difference between breasts and rubber-nippled little bottles.

Great humour. lol.

I hate the colors used in vista's GUI, it's just too dark, dull and inconsistent. Aero does not match the color of the window or application.

You can change the color of the Glass effect if you wanted. Its in the settings pane.

can we ever make this vista vs osx topic free of fanboyism???

hoho..

What about ANY OS BUT Windows. Which is what I use, Linux (Several ones), OS X, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Symbian OS, and ZetaOS.

I have absolutely NO use for a copy-cat, OSX wannabe, virus infected platform. I don't have time to fool with it.

Especially one from a company that has broken the law over, and over, and hasn't seen anyone in jail over it.

I prefer platforms that WORK.

What about ANY OS BUT Windows. Which is what I use, Linux (Several ones), OS X, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Symbian OS, and ZetaOS.

Yes, I think most open minded people would agree with this. I am not so much pro-OS X as I am pro-OS X 10.4. If leopard is a bomb like vista then I will move away from it like I did with windows. As you said, I prefer platforms that work. That's why I don't mind that 10.5 is taking a little longer to be released. I'd much rather they comb over it and get it right like they did with 10.4.

I have absolutely NO use for a copy-cat, OSX wannabe, virus infected platform.

But if you made your living using windows, or if you supported windows and couldn't admit that you were wrong, or if you were jealous of how well OS X works, etc., then you'd end up being a windows fanboy too. There is no question that OS X is superior to windows, the only question is how honest someone is about it with themselves, and do they have a windows ax to grind ;)

All this talk of one OS being superior to another ... it's a question of what you want to do. There's a world of difference between the user who wants to email, browse the web and view pictures and the user who wants to compose music, edit photographs or write a book. Or the gamer, or the programmer. Everyone has their own needs and makes different demands on their computer. For some people Windows is tops. For others it's OSX, and some folks get the best results from Linux. I use XP for some things, OSX for others, and I use a Suse box for the rest. Each has features which make it great for certain jobs, and if I'm foolish enough to try doing something better suited to another OS I come up against those aspects which annoy the heck out of me.

In short - no point in complaining about your tools if they are not designed for the job you have in mind!

toolkit.jpg

You can surf ANYWHERE on the internet with Safari in total safety. Conversely there are sites you

can NOT visit with ANY Windows because you will have your browser hijacked. Plus i have yet to

get a trojan or even a virus when using OS X or PCLinuxOS .

Norton anti-virus - who needs it ?

Spybot search&destroy- who needs it ?

Hijack This - who needs it ?

A Windows user ,that's who

wowowowow guys.

this debate is really annoying. Any forum on the net reproduces an old marketing gag, run by Apple and Microsoft.

First some history:

The really funny thing is: Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are much closer "friends" than most people would believe. Microsofts origin was in helping Apple back in the beginning of the 80ies. Well yes: Microsoft stole the idea of a graphical user interface, but what did Apple? Apple stole the idea from Xerox.

The only difference allways was (and still is, I think): Apple (only under Steve Jobs) managed to sell a myth, not more not less. Steve lets people attach to a feeling of rebellion (well, rebellion of the upper class). Does anybody really believe that any other leader than Steve Jobs could manage that company? Apple wouldn't Apple without him.

What about the funny coincidence in 1997. Steve Jobs came back to Apple and Microsoft bought a lots of shares of Apple. Looks like Steve Jobs was enthroned by his old "fella" Bill.

Second some facts

As a system administrator I am currently working with machines running Debian Sarge (Server), Windows XP (Clients), OSx 10.4.9 (Clients). All systems seem to have advantages for specific purposes. Although I really hoped so ten years ago: I don't think that Linux is appropriate for end users. It still is too complicated. Windows XP is a fast and reliable operating system for clients (I would never use Windows 2003 Server for a server). The GUI is fairly self explaining and the short-cuts apply almost systemwide. For "it-craftsmen" like me, short-cuts are inevitable. I almost don't use the mouse. BTW: I still use the ancient Windows GUI, you all know since windows 98. It is fast and handy. Well of course I know about all the funny things that can happen using specific drivers in Windows. Windows {censored}s up. I also know about the Windows issues with Core2Duo CPUs.

BTW: in Linux you'll almost don't find the drivers you need for running it as an enduser, so {censored} that.

About two years ago our team also got infected by the virus called Apple. People began to buy IPods. No not only the "avandgarde", normal people. And you know what? I also bought one. And that's where my voyage thru desasters start. When the IPod arrived at my place it was completly {censored}ed up. So it looked good, but the software didn't seem to be installed properly. It was recognized in windows, but Itunes couldn't find it. Well I googled the whole Apple pages to find several possible solutions, but none of them worked. I then called customer service. The lady was really {censored} impolite and she finally asked me to get a service prolongation for 3 years. I was NOT amused. But after 45minutes we could manage to reset and reinstall my IPod. I thought ok, this can happed with any company. Six weeks ago I ordered a PowerBook Pro from a local reseller. After I ordered the local reseller told me, that delivery will take a little longer, since first item was doa (dead on arrival). Wow. One week later I finally got it. That MacBook Pro ceased to work after three weeks. In the first place Bootcamped Windows XP didn't boot no more. I tried it several times. Then I decided to boot into OSx again. OSx booted "perfectly" but two minutes later it crashed and didn't ever boot again. So I went to my local dealer to tell me what's wrong. Since my institute is about to buy 400 Laptops this was no good start for a long time partnership with Apple. The guy at the service desk checked my PowerBook Pro and thirty mins later he told me RAMS are OK, but MoBo is {censored}ed. Repair will take 5 days. These experiences show me one thing: (right now) Apple's quality management sucks.

I really like the Apple's design. But can anyone tell me please why my MBP display can't be bend 180degrees? Sitting on my chair with the MBP on my lap it makes no fun. The viewing angle is really bad. Moreover the underside is much too hot. My balls are getting roasted.

And finally some words to the software: Apple Mail is a piece of {censored}, as Microsoft Entourage is as well. IMAP is supported so poorly and in Apple's Mail case: buggy. I can't understand why Apple didn't fix any of the Mail bugs since OSx 10.2 (three years ago!). This really is ignorant. Thunderbird in this case is the only reliable choice.

Airport: can anybody tell me, why it responds so slow? The first view times: I thought it has crashed.

Short-cuts: besides Apple-Q for quit, every App seems to have different short-cuts or almost none. In Windows I almost don't use my mouse. In OSx many functions cannot be used without the mouse.

Switch between the windows: can anybody tell me, why I cannot switch between different Firefox Windows (not tabs!), like I am used? Ok i found an addon tool for Mac after a long search.

And what about the explorer: is there a comparable program for the mac - couldn't find it yet (besides Diskorder, which is not what I am looking for).

The (german layout) keyboard: where is the | and the {} and \ signs, for example? Did anybody try to write C, Delphi or PHP without these characters? This really is {censored}.

And finally: why can't I make the system show me hidden files? I don't like beeing patronized, but without Diskorder or the terminal, I wouldn't be able to see them. Why's that? For using the terminal I really prefer a REAL Linux or Unix and not such a cheap imitation, where almost all the folder structure has been revised.

So all in all: a Mac really isn't better, by far not. But I really enjoy working with it (surfing the net, writing mails, watching movies). But it is for sure, that I would miss several Windows' features - especially for developing. I also wouldn't recommend to use a Mac as a server. You'll find as many security holes like in Windows:

See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305214 and the month of Apple bugs http://projects.info-pull.com/moab/ ...

My recommendation: don't use a Windows or an OSx for security relevant areas. For your workstation: it depends on you. I really like both operating systems. But I am used to the Windows problems and since I switched I found much to many problems in OSx as well.

So please decide what you need for yourself, but DON'T proselytize...

What about the funny coincidence in 1997. Steve Jobs came back to Apple and Microsoft bought a lots of shares of Apple. Looks like Steve Jobs was enthroned by his old "fella" Bill.

That incident was thanks to the three stooges...Spindler, Sculley, and Amelio...the well known morons who brought Apple down almost to the brink of collapse, and who kicked the individual out who started the company (SJ), but later found that neXT, which Jobs started soon afterwards, had more potential in the future than Apple, so they merged neXT with Apple, and brought back SJ as the CEO. Because Apple was in such despair at that time because of these boons, there has to be something done that would boost Apple's revenue. As a result, Microsoft was brought in and were given major stock options. No one liked this incident, but it had to be done, and Apple was not in a position for calling shots...every single move was critical, and IMO I think SJ executed a perfect recovery, which reflects Apple's growth today.

About two years ago our team also got infected by the virus called Apple. People began to buy IPods.

How is that a virus if its a good thing?

When the IPod arrived at my place it was completly {censored}ed up. So it looked good, but the software didn't seem to be installed properly. It was recognized in windows, but Itunes couldn't find it. Well I googled the whole Apple pages to find several possible solutions, but none of them worked. I then called customer service. The lady was really {censored} impolite and she finally asked me to get a service prolongation for 3 years. I was NOT amused. But after 45minutes we could manage to reset and reinstall my IPod. I thought ok, this can happed with any company.

I honestly think you probably were one of the few ones to have a bad experience with Apple. From my opinion as well as numerous others, Apple has by far the best customer service when compared to Microsoft, Dell (Incl. Alienware), HP, Toshiba, Sony, and Acer. Again, like I said, you were probably one of the few ones. When ever I go to the Apple store for tech support, they smile and help you..and then leave you. Not like at Best Buy, where they look impatient, and then try to sell you something else on the side. I had the original iPod...I still have it even today, and it works perfectly fine, I just had to replace the battery once, but that was normal after three years of usage. Ofcourse its a bit obsolete by modern standards, thats why I have the new 5.5G ipods. I use the original one just as a large Firewire drive. Comes in handy at times.

Six weeks ago I ordered a PowerBook Pro from a local reseller. After I ordered the local reseller told me, that delivery will take a little longer, since first item was doa (dead on arrival). Wow. One week later I finally got it. That MacBook Pro ceased to work after three weeks. In the first place Bootcamped Windows XP didn't boot no more. I tried it several times. Then I decided to boot into OSx again. OSx booted "perfectly" but two minutes later it crashed and didn't ever boot again. So I went to my local dealer to tell me what's wrong. Since my institute is about to buy 400 Laptops this was no good start for a long time partnership with Apple. The guy at the service desk checked my PowerBook Pro and thirty mins later he told me RAMS are OK, but MoBo is {censored}ed. Repair will take 5 days. These experiences show me one thing: (right now) Apple's quality management sucks.

There is no such thing as a Powerbook Pro. Its only the Macbook Pro. It seems a bit fishy your getting those inconsistent. Either ways like I said, Apple was one of the best if not THE best customer service out of any computer/mp3 player company out there. I'm guessing you purchased the 1st gen Macbook Pro, hence the motherboard issues. Yes, there were issues with the motherboard, however it did not happen to everyone. I know individuals who use the original Macbook Pro's, which run perfectly smooth and fast, no overheating, or any other issues that were associated. EIther ways, Apple offered to replace the bad motherboard on the Macbook Pro for free, yes thats right..Free. Going to the local repair shop and asking them to repair an Apple laptop is like going to a corner Joe's Car Fixup shop...and asking to service a Ferrari. Get it done by the dealer who made them, not someone who has no training on Mac hardware. The Apple logic board is trick to work with, however I've seen Apple employees at the apple store replace the faulty mobo's for individuals within a matter of 5hrs, and then give it back to them...or if it was more complicated, just offer a brand new Macbook pro to the client. This is the kind of customer service Apple is known for...and one which I have yet to see in any other PC manufacturers.

I really like the Apple's design. But can anyone tell me please why my MBP display can't be bend 180degrees? Sitting on my chair with the MBP on my lap it makes no fun. The viewing angle is really bad. Moreover the underside is much too hot. My balls are getting roasted.

Why would you need a laptop display to be able to bend 180 degrees? Just get a tablet PC then. The original Macbook Pro's (Core Duo) display can bend a maximum of 120 degrees, which is the one you have I'm assuming. The newer Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro's, can bend 135 degrees, which is perfectly fine if you are going to be using the laptop on your lap. Also, the heat issue was fixed on the newer Core 2 Duo Macbook Pros, and now they operate quite cool. I use mine on my lap on a daily basis when on university campus, and its perfectly cool.

And finally some words to the software: Apple Mail is a piece of {censored}, as Microsoft Entourage is as well. IMAP is supported so poorly and in Apple's Mail case: buggy. I can't understand why Apple didn't fix any of the Mail bugs since OSx 10.2 (three years ago!). This really is ignorant. Thunderbird in this case is the only reliable choice.

Yes, here I have to agree with you. Mail isnt the best email app out there. I use Gmail, and have linked my inbox to Apple Mail through POP3, and it works perfectly fine and well, however IMAP support is a bit below par imo.

Airport: can anybody tell me, why it responds so slow? The first view times: I thought it has crashed.

It responds perfectly fast for me.

Short-cuts: besides Apple-Q for quit, every App seems to have different short-cuts or almost none. In Windows I almost don't use my mouse. In OSx many functions cannot be used without the mouse.

Actually, if you know all the shortcuts within OS X, which can be found within the system prefrences, you can pretty much navigate through the OS completey mouse free. I've done this before, so I know its perfectly doable. Infact, OS X has much more shortcuts than Windows does. Everything from cutting, copying, pasting; to putting the system to sleep or shutdown can be done without the use of a mouse. Moreover, it makes sense that every application would have their own customized shortcuts....this is the case for any software in any operating system...so why fuss? Just hit Ctrl+F2, and you can navigate through the top toolbar fully mouse free. There are tonnes of shortcuts in OS X, you just have to look them up.

Switch between the windows: can anybody tell me, why I cannot switch between different Firefox Windows (not tabs!), like I am used? Ok i found an addon tool for Mac after a long search.

You can use expose, thats what its there for, or just click on the live thumbnail on the dock.

And what about the explorer: is there a comparable program for the mac - couldn't find it yet (besides Diskorder, which is not what I am looking for).

There is a fantastic free file management app for OS X that is years ahead of Explorer for Windows. Its called Forklift.

The (german layout) keyboard: where is the | and the {} and \ signs, for example? Did anybody try to write C, Delphi or PHP without these characters? This really is {censored}.

I dont know about the german layout Keyboard, but the English one has the "|", and "{,}" sings on the keyboard..you have to hit shift and then the key..just like a windows keyboard, here is a shot:

picture1in6.png

And finally: why can't I make the system show me hidden files? I don't like beeing patronized, but without Diskorder or the terminal, I wouldn't be able to see them. Why's that? For using the terminal I really prefer a REAL Linux or Unix and not such a cheap imitation, where almost all the folder structure has been revised.

Yes, I agree with you here...seeing hidden folders under OS X is a bit tricky, and you have to go through the Terminal to do this by default. I think Apple should have implemented the feature of seeing hidden folders by default in the "show view options" menu within each folder itself. It would make more sense.

Just a quick thought here. Last summer a friend of mine went to do voluntary service in an underdeveloped African country for a year. Although she's been a Mac user for a long time she bought a Windows laptop to take with her. When I asked her why, she said "If it goes wrong I know that I can find someone who understands Windows almost anywhere. I'd probably be shafted if I took the Powerbook and it died." I do get emails from her regularly and she's never mentioned any problems or frustration with her Windows machine (though she does complain about not being able to wash her hair every day...).

Apple stole the idea from Xerox.

Not true. Apple purchased the idea from Xerox! Big difference :blink: In 1978 Apple and Xerox signed an AGREEMENT that allowed Xerox to invest one million dollars in Apple stocks. At the time Xerox regarded Apple as a partner rather than a competitor. In return for this Apple's engineers were allowed to study Xerox's PARC's graphical user interface (in other words, Apple bought the GUI from Xerox). The PARC operating system was the first OS for the public market with a GUI. It was commercially unsuccessful though, and Xerox was very embarrassed about showing it to Apple. Steve Jobs knew however that it had potential, and told his Apple engineers to redesign it with their own code so that it didn't depend on the Xerox code. After Apples version of the GUI became successful, Xerox filed a lawsuit, but remember, they sold the idea to Apple in exchange for one million dollars worth of Apple stock. The Xerox lawsuit was subsequently thrown out of court on the grounds that the "look and feel" of the interface was too vague to be defined, and Apple had clearly not stolen anything from Xerox since A.) Apple purchased the GUI and B.) it was Apple's own code. The only people that still try to perpetuate the myth that Apple 'stole' anything these days are windows fanboys :rolleyes:

Apple Mail is a piece of {censored}

Again, not true. That is ONLY your opinion :rolleyes:

Many people use it and love Apple mail much more that outlook or anything else.

but DON'T proselytize

And yet that's exactly what you did. Weird.

As a system administrator I am currently working with machines running Debian Sarge (Server).....

BTW: in Linux you'll almost don't find the drivers you need for running it as an enduser, so {censored} that.

Did you know that Debian Etch was released, about 6 weeks ago? :)

As to the drivers for the end user, I hardly have any problems, but maybe that is because my needs are pretty simple.

There are plenty of file managers for OS X, some free, some not.

Apple Pro keyboard here, British layout. The {}, | \ signs are extremely easy to find. all in the same area (center-right)

And finally: why can't I make the system show me hidden files? I don't like beeing patronized, but without Diskorder or the terminal, I wouldn't be able to see them.

Use InVisibles.

So all in all: a Mac really isn't better, by far not. But I really enjoy working with it (surfing the net, writing mails, watching movies).....

So please decide what you need for yourself, but DON'T proselytize...

Aren't you contradicting yourself quite a bit here?

I had the original iPod...I still have it even today, and it works perfectly fine, I just had to replace the battery once, but that was normal after three years of usage. Ofcourse its a bit obsolete by modern standards, thats why I have the new 5.5G ipods. I use the original one just as a large Firewire drive. Comes in handy at times.

I'm not quite sure, but in my case: IPod Nanos are not intended to get the battery changed, are they?

There is no such thing as a Powerbook Pro. Its only the Macbook Pro.
you're abso*f*cking*ly right. MPB is the thing I am just typing on. BTW: 2nd generation. It is just some weeks old. and it really GETS hot.

This is the kind of customer service Apple is known for...and one which I have yet to see in any other PC manufacturers.
give IBM Lenovo a try. 3 years worldwide warranty. They even changed my DVD-RomDrive after I switched the regions too often (UltraBay System: very nice; also the whole architecture is far more modular and fairly self-explaining, replacing pieces can be done very easily by yourself.)

Why would you need a laptop display to be able to bend 180 degrees? Just get a tablet PC then. The original Macbook Pro's (Core Duo) display can bend a maximum of 120 degrees, which is the one you have I'm assuming. The newer Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro's, can bend 135 degrees, which is perfectly fine if you are going to be using the laptop on your lap. Also, the heat issue was fixed on the newer Core 2 Duo Macbook Pros, and now they operate quite cool. I use mine on my lap on a daily basis when on university campus, and its perfectly cool.

display 180degrees: don't you think this would be more comfortable, like in situations where you're sitting on the bed or on the floor, BTW: I am 1,97m tall, this could be the reason, why I feel the angle is bad. But you're right: this is also my fault. I shouldn't have grown so tall ;-)

Yes, here I have to agree with you. Mail isnt the best email app out there. I use Gmail, and have linked my inbox to Apple Mail through POP3, and it works perfectly fine and well, however IMAP support is a bit below par imo.

Well I use four different client machines. An MBP and an HP Desktop at work, and two custom built machines here at home (not to tell the old T31, but it's only raising dust, currently). IMAP is the only choice here.

It responds perfectly fast for me.

I should pray to god then, that my german keyboard is sh*t, since numerous characters are missing and Airport is responding like a turtle.

Actually, if you know all the shortcuts within OS X, which can be found within the system prefrences, you can pretty much navigate through the OS completey mouse free. I've done this before, so I know its perfectly doable. Infact, OS X has much more shortcuts than Windows does. Everything from cutting, copying, pasting; to putting the system to sleep or shutdown can be done without the use of a mouse. Moreover, it makes sense that every application would have their own customized shortcuts....this is the case for any software in any operating system...so why fuss? Just hit Ctrl+F2, and you can navigate through the top toolbar fully mouse free. There are tonnes of shortcuts in OS X, you just have to look them up.

I would not believe that OSx (and software developed for it) has more short-cuts than Windows (and software developed for it)...

There is a fantastic free file management app for OS X that is years ahead of Explorer for Windows. Its called Forklift.

I will check that. Thanks.

I dont know about the german layout Keyboard, but the English one has the "|", and "{,}" sings on the keyboard..you have to hit shift and then the key..just like a windows keyboard, here is a shot:

picture1in6.png

this is the place where we got the umlauts like ä,ö,ü etc.pp.

Yes, I agree with you here...seeing hidden folders under OS X is a bit tricky, and you have to go through the Terminal to do this by default. I think Apple should have implemented the feature of seeing hidden folders by default in the "show view options" menu within each folder itself. It would make more sense.

tricky? very nice, but it is not tricky. This is just {censored}. Just name it.

Did you know that Debian Etch was released, about 6 weeks ago? :)

o Dear. Thank you for telling me, the world is a better place thanks to your mindfulness. When I die you're gonna get my job, I swear ;-)

Aren't you contradicting yourself quite a bit here?

No, or do you think I am trying to convince you, Windows is better than OSx? You didn't get the point then. I am just saying, that the Apple thing is a myth. Every windows users knows about all the bluescreens and crashs and problems in the microsoft world. When there is a bug, most people will admit that a certain thing is a bug.

To make it very short: in the Apple world, people try to tell me, that some bugs or inadequacies are features (like the display degree, or the mail thing). And that is typical for brainwashing. But bugs are bugs are bugs are bugs. And I don't like no bugs, no matter which platform.

You will feel free, when you understand, that Apple is a myth and only some substitute for traditional religion in times of high-tec.

kind regards

give IBM Lenovo a try. 3 years worldwide warranty. They even changed my DVD-RomDrive after I switched the regions too often (UltraBay System: very nice; also the whole architecture is far more modular and fairly self-explaining, replacing pieces can be done very easily by yourself.)

I see, however, Lenovo's are business machines, and rarely does the home user use an IBM laptop. What I was meaning was when you compare to Sony, Dell, Acer, Gateway, HP, Toshiba, who are the usual suspects.

display 180degrees: don't you think this would be more comfortable, like in situations where you're sitting on the bed or on the floor, BTW: I am 1,97m tall, this could be the reason, why I feel the angle is bad. But you're right: this is also my fault. I shouldn't have grown so tall ;-)

Lol, actually, I myself am 6"2, so the display degree is important to me, and I find the MBP's display angle perfectly fine. 180 degrees is going out perfectly flat, which is in a way an insane way to be using a laptop to begin with IMO.

I should pray to god then, that my german keyboard is sh*t, since numerous characters are missing and Airport is responding like a turtle.

Again, I dont kow about the Airport becuase mine is responding fast.

I would not believe that OSx (and software developed for it) has more short-cuts than Windows (and software developed for it)...

Oh, its quite true, OS X has more shortcuts than Windows, and the usgage of special characters is also much easier under OS X. Here is proof as well, its a detailed breakdown of the features:

http://www.xvsxp.com/misc/keyboard.php

tricky? very nice, but it is not tricky. This is just {censored}. Just name it.

Well, I wouldnt call it {censored}, since the feature is there, and there are vast resources on the internet that describe how to enable it. AND there are softwares that are avaliable for free, that enable this for you if you dont want to use the Terminal.

o Dear. Thank you for telling me, the world is a better place thanks to your mindfulness. When I die you're gonna get my job, I swear ;-)

Did you notice the smilie? ;)

And in any case I found it slightly odd that a system administrator proclaims to the world that he is running oldstable.

You will feel free, when you understand, that Apple is a myth and only some substitute for traditional religion in times of high-tec.

I am using OS X on a hackintosh, alongside with a flavour of Linux (mostly Debian or OpenSUSE) and Windows XP 64-bit (an excellent OS, BTW). So I don't believe that Apple is "some substitute for traditional religion" in my case. You'll find that most people are like me in this forum (they criticize Apple shortcomings all the time).

Hahaha, this brings back memories ^^ You should have seen me on my last Java test. I'd just got my MacBook Pro and it hadn't even sunk in that I had no clue whatsoever where the {} and [] were. As a matter of fact, I just spend 5 bloody minutes going al over my keyboard before finding out that to get [] I have to press shift+alt+(), since once again I forgot.

Anyway, my brain is half asleep right now so no matter.

To get back to my story: I eventually had to copy paste {} and [] from previous pieces of code, I felt like such a bloody moron :( A test that normally would have taken me about 45 minutes, took me 2 hours >_>

ever tried to change your "location" on a Windows?(without third party software!!!) no way....

and a mac simply works....and if not, you have the target disk mode or net boot.

Here is one thing you can do on a mac and not vista...

Lets say you have an old HD with an installed program....you can launch the program from the old MOUNTED HD and it will launch.

TRY DOING THAT with a Windows machine and its .dll, registry, install files .netframe. Ugggg.

ever tried to change your "location" on a Windows?(without third party software!!!) no way....

and a mac simply works....and if not, you have the target disk mode or net boot.

It's actually incredible easy. Right click on My Documents, go to the 'Location' tab and choose a new location.

locationrz2.jpg

So, it's quite easy to find, very easy to use and has 'Restore Default' if you run into problems.

Oh, and Windows doesn't have any recovery type things, right ?

Lets say you have an old HD with an installed program....you can launch the program from the old MOUNTED HD and it will launch.

TRY DOING THAT with a Windows machine and its .dll, registry, install files .netframe. Ugggg.

It depends on the app/developer, there are a lot of programs you can do that on.

• 8 months later...
i cannot believe people WHO ACUTALLY USED BOTH can see no difference between those OS´s...

as for my needs, vista is something that makes me play games to get away from that ugly interface with a hell of usability - in os x i work. its not such a crappy shiny non-functional ui with no respect on user interface guidelines, its just nearly perfect for me.

how many people do really switch back? that is the interesting question. i think its below 1% (and that are either pro-users who cannot live without specific windows-shortcuts and functions, or people who are too dumb to get used to a new interface)...

as you sure know, this is my opinion, it should not be yours, but if it is, great. ;-)

Well, the reason for that is these dorks have paid all this money on a PC Windblows system, and they don't even realize that Apple computers have always been superior to every other platform - especially now that they run Vista better and faster than PC clones according to PC World (who wouldn't even admit it if they could avoid it) and also run games just like PCs. 95% of the world remains ignorant to the quality of machines and operating systems, and they just seem to believe they've made a terrific purchase by buying into Alienware's or some other bloat company's deceptions. If these people only knew that Alienware is owned by Dell, and Dell bloats up their machines to the hilt, so as not to give the user (them ) much of anything they really can use in the end. A Mac comes solid with a solid OS. I've had my Mac for over seven months, and it's not even a tower. It's a Macbook Pro. I run this thing day and night. When I'm not on it, my family is on it. It never breaks. It keeps pumping. I run OS X, Windows XP and have had Ubuntu Linux on my system, and in all my 20+ platforms of life (a good twenty-five or so years), I've never had a machine as pleasant and as solid. There's simply no comparison, and for all those people who talk about OSx86 or whatever versus the actual Apple computer running an Apple OS? Well, they have to be completely insane (insanely mac?) to think that OS X running on a PC runs equally as well as on an Apple machine. Apple rigs their OS to work its best with Apple hardware. You think they'd be stupid enough not to? Also, I see no reason to buy a PC. I've been in computers since I was 9 years old. I saw the home computer age born from the beginning. I'm now thirty-six. For all you young people out there who think a PC is a MUST HAVE, think again! It's all Microsoft propaganda! They own the magazines, and they own the software organizations who try to suppress the superiority of an Apple life. I think it's extremely sad that people give into a sham along the lines of CNN, FOX and MSNBC. Come on guys!? Aren't you smarter than that!? Apple is the best! It's always been the best, and it will always be the best. The only reason anyone should own a PC Windblos system is so that they can fix all that useless, obtuse PC hardware out there, and if you're going to get a job fixing computers, you're going to be working on PC Windblows systems. Why? Well, Macs just simply never break. You don't see a huge Apple tech support. That's for sure. Usually, anything that goes wrong on a Mac, you can fix yourself. On a PC? Man, there's so many things that can go wrong with it. Missing .dll files. Device Driver management. Direct X 5, 6, 7, 8 9... How about shuffling around those sectors with SCANDISK? Man, that {censored} doesn't do anything! All it does is shuffle around the platters. Don't let them lie to you! lol I even researched the point. You just think it runs better. It doesn't. Defrag? Why you got to defrag? I never defrag on my Mac. Why do you do it? It's useless! Totally useless! It's all Microsoft propaganda. The list goes on and on. But, if you are certified like I am, and plan on fixing these PC machines for people, then buy you a junk one if you need to keep up to date on the PC world for technology reasons. If you want to play, have fun and not worry about viruses, adware, spyware, stability, performance and endurnace... then BUY APPLE!