[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

• Please log in to reply
1070 replies to this topic

Linux_Inside V2

Linux_Inside V2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I've done some wiring for mine now, for the HDD and Optical Bay I've soldered some molex sockets on to the wiring harness down near the PSU, so that I can use the original connectors and keep the tidy look of the G5.
Posted Image

For the Optical bay, I've added a SATA power plug to the existing wiring, this allows me to plug in the burner without an adapter, and leaves a free molex for fans or whatever
Posted Image

To achieve this I used a punch-down sata power connector. just put the wires in the plug and snap it shut, it cuts into the cable to make the connections. easy! you can buy them here for instance: http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2579wt_1221

Got some Left angle and right angle SATA cables coming in to match the stock ones but longer, still need to mount the mainboard and psu

Linux_Inside V2

Linux_Inside V2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Anyone else modified their PowerMac G5 psu to take an ATX power supplys innards?

I'd like to put an ATX supply in the casing I've got, just wondering if the fans for the G5 psu will be sufficient at 5 or 7 volts, at 12 they're way too noisy.

cnote

cnote

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm in the early stages of converting a G5 case to accept an atx mb. I'm planning to mount the mb to a 1/4" thick sheet of plastic.

Should I have any concerns with static elect if the mounting pins are not touching (grounded) to the case?

Advise is appreciated!

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Plastic + Heat = slight shifts that may cause drooping over a long period of time. If you have to use a 'non-standard' mounting material, use cardboard or something.

I'll post my Lian Li mod in a few days, then update when I have fitted the front fan array :D

sharky311

sharky311

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've begun this project as well but plan on making no cuts to the exterior of the case. I can have some pictures up in the next few days. I have two more things left to do: find somewhere to mount th HDD cage and modify th original fan to work with the new PSU.

iuvavum

iuvavum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey dudes :)

I also started my own G5 Mod project and now i have a big problem…
I have no idea how to fix the motherboard backpanel plate into the g5 case...

as you can see on the picture below it fits great into the g5 case but i don't know how to fix it :(

Attached File  mainboard_backpanel.jpg   266.67KB   112 downloads

don't want to screw it into the case because i don't want to ruin my side cover.

Hopefully anybody has an idea for me.

And sorry for my bad english ^^ i need more practice :D

Effendi

Effendi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Industrial glue?

Lagerfeuer

Lagerfeuer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello G5 Modding-Folks! I have a question that is rather important for me, as I'm planning to mod a G5 myself soon.

It's about the cable management inside a G5 with the use of a motherboard tray (in my case a Silverstone-TJ07-tray). Is the space that is created by the original G5 standoffs (I want to use them to secure the tray in place) enough to rout all the cables under it (PSU-cables in addition to the SATA-cables)??? I don't have access to a standard ATX PSU and thus can't test the thickness of the cables... However I have already seen Mods that use this kind of cable management but I don't know if they might have used additional spacing to accommodate their cable management.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Greetings.

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
The space is adequate, but a lot of trays have a lip around the edges that'll prevent you from getting the wires behind (and then back out of) the tray in the first place.

Morph_nz

Morph_nz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Here is my setup I finnished a while back. Thought id put it up here too. Cable management was an "ill finnish that bit later" but still havnt.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Build log over here; http://www.gpforums....hread/422113/1/

kevinodonnell

kevinodonnell

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Its interesting to see how people have been going about the back plate without making any cuts.

Im planning on using a mini ATX board and making a new back I/O and soldering cables off that to plug straight into the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy