It's happened, Expose for Vista is here.

Bartboy919

52 posts in this topic

Well if vista can do with why cannot someone else do it? I say it is very fair for this kind off ripoff that vista did.

Is this a kubuntu version some kind of? Or linux updated with some program?

I watched videos on youtube and there it was called kubuntu.

What do you mean, Kubuntu is a KDE version of Ubuntu, but yes Beryl/Compiz has expose for a while and nobody said it was not a copy, they just did it because it could be done.

Wow, another way Vista is like OS X. :)

apple and m$ both steal stuff from eachother, idc whos fanboy you are, although this is kind of funny, itd be funnier if it came with it and m$ called it "expose" as well ;) thanks for sharing!

and Bartboy919 nice pound symbol! lol :P

Home Basic does have Aero, just not Aero Glass.

Yeah, they copy so much, like Widgets, right ?

Yeah, it's not like Windows has Fast User Switching (Windows XP in 2001 / OSX 10.3 in 2003), Gadgets (Longhorn Build 3683 in 2002 / OSX 10.4 in 2005), Fax (Windows XP in 2001 / OSX 10.3 in 2003), Virtual Folders (Early Longhorn build), built in Zip support (Windows XP in 2001 / OSX 10.3 in 2003), 'good' search (Early Longhorn build in ~2002 / OSX 10.4 in 2005), DCE/DWM, basic security (Windows XP in 2001 / OSX 10.3 in 2003), file recovery (Shadow copy in Server 2003 / Leopard in .. ?), Core Ani, etc.

The bottom line is, Microsoft has announced many things, and had them in development longer (By development I mean in actual builds of the OS which were distributed to developers, beta testers, etc) than Apple it's just that Mac OS is different (Doesn't really go on major releases, but rather minor releases more often) and was able to get them out quicker.

Home Basic does have Aero, just not Aero Glass.

Yeah, they copy so much, like Widgets, right ?

In other words the same as XP just a different skin. So your saying just about every feature in OS X is copied from Longhorn builds and win2003?

While MS took five years to do Vista everybody else just copied of them and released it earlier, so really no one but MS innovates, yer right dream on.

Before you reply robot, I block you and only see you when somebody quotes you so don't waste your time.

Dude I blocked him too! best decision I've ever made on this forum! It's so cool that I can't see what he's saying.

I must admit, I thought not being able to see other's posts would annoy me, since I am against most forms of censorship, but man, THIS ROCKS! It's like reading a long book and skipping over all the crappy chapters.

Robotskip, keep posting. The more {censored} posts on this forum that I can avoid, the better I feel!

And thanks to you, sandman, for the inspiration to block him. It's been a few weeks of pure joy!

-Urby

Dude I blocked him too! best decision I've ever made on this forum! It's so cool that I can't see what he's saying.

I must admit, I thought not being able to see other's posts would annoy me, since I am against most forms of censorship, but man, THIS ROCKS! It's like reading a long book and skipping over all the crappy chapters.

Robotskip, keep posting. The more {censored} posts on this forum that I can avoid, the better I feel!

And thanks to you, sandman, for the inspiration to block him. It's been a few weeks of pure joy!

-Urby

Edited for cleanup.

Honestly I really dont see why it matters that they copy each other. For all we know, Apple could have had Expose, Dashboard, etc on the drawing boards way back in 2001, 2002. Now Steve Jobs did admit Windows beat them to it for Fast User Switching with Panther, so drop it completely.

Having to combine NexT, Carbon, Cocoa, etc into a totally new operating system and have it be pretty compatible with Classic software is pretty remarkable. Dont hate on either, well except Microsoft XD. BTW does anyone know if Vista Business allows you to install in a virtual enviroment, as I think thats whats the University is getting for us :/.

Ive yet to block robot, but its tempting as I have yet to see one positive post from him. If someone can show me that, I'll shutup :dev:.

Honestly I really dont see why it matters that they copy each other. For all we know, Apple could have had Expose, Dashboard, etc on the drawing boards way back in 2001, 2002. Now Steve Jobs did admit Windows beat them to it for Fast User Switching with Panther, so drop it completely.

Having to combine NexT, Carbon, Cocoa, etc into a totally new operating system and have it be pretty compatible with Classic software is pretty remarkable. Dont hate on either, well except Microsoft XD. BTW does anyone know if Vista Business allows you to install in a virtual enviroment, as I think thats whats the University is getting for us :/.

You know, I actually thought that last post of his was fair and balanced. He pointed out that Apple seems to rip a lot from Microsoft, but then said that even when Apple does take features from Microsoft, they develop them faster and get them on the market. Shows the shortcomings of both companies, and, well, frankely, seemed unbiased. I was impressed anyway.

That's exactly what I was going for sHARD>> and thank you. I don't have a favourite company, I like both Apple and Microsoft, and other companies too. The thing is, on here if you're remotely 'positive' about Microsoft you get labelled as a fanboy despite all my posts, which are covering something MS related, are simply to correct or give insight.

For example, just above Forceman claims that Vista Home Basic is just XP with a new skin despite the glaring and obvious fact that so much more is different. So, when someone claims that I usually make a joke or something than link them to here - but doing that will get me labelled as a fanboy by many people on here, despite trying to be fair and unbiased, so I get all this rubbish from urby, sand and others when I don't deserve any of it. I treat all of you decently, the only ones who have problems are those who consistently troll my posts, so who really is at fault here ?

I've asked them several times to please stop, and they don't. I've also reported their personal attacks to moderators so many times and not once (Until just before and thank you, whoever responded :dev:) had something done, or even a response from a moderator.

Basically every post/thread I make is met with some useless and stupid comment like 1) "OH NOES HERE GOES ROBOT AGAIN!" or 2) "lolol what a fanboy, im going to block himyayayay."

1) And there YOU (Whoever says that) go again. Myself and others have said it several times, no one cares if you don't like me, block me or just ignore my posts, there is no need to openly state how you think I'm a fanboy or say how you've blocked me for the 37th time (And doesn't that defeat the purpose of blocking me ?).

2) Like I said above, by talking about me, etc you're completely defeating the purpose of blocking me. The purpose of blocking someone is so you can avoid them, and what they have to say, so stating how you've blocked me is stupid and silly.

Now, I haven't blocked them yet in hope they'll make some good posts (And on occasion they have, just incredibly rarely) but all I ever hear from them is how I'm a fanboy and how they've blocked me so I guess maybe I should ? They don't seem to actively add anything to any threads (From the ones I read) rather just attacks at myself and many others on here (Do we call people like that 'trolls' ?).

- For the record I'm not claiming total innocence but until I go around trolling their posts, slandering them to other members and not contributing to threads I think I'm the one who is a little better off.

Edited by robotskip

You know, I actually thought that last post of his was fair and balanced. He pointed out that Apple seems to rip a lot from Microsoft, but then said that even when Apple does take features from Microsoft, they develop them faster and get them on the market. Shows the shortcomings of both companies, and, well, frankely, seemed unbiased. I was impressed anyway.

After reading the mentioned post I can see you showed me whats what :D. I'll be happily removing the offending section of my last post. And robotskip I apologize, I should have kept my own personal thoughts out of the discussion :thumbsup_anim:.

That's exactly what I was going for sHARD>> and thank you. I don't have a favourite company, I like both Apple and Microsoft, and other companies too. The thing is, on here if you're remotely 'positive' about Microsoft you get labelled as a fanboy despite all my posts, which are covering something MS related, are simply to correct or give insight.

For example, just above Forceman claims that Vista Home Basic is just XP with a new skin despite the glaring and obvious fact that so much more is different. So, when someone claims that I usually make a joke or something than link them to here - but doing that will get me labelled as a fanboy by many people on here, despite trying to be fair and unbiased, so I get all this rubbish from urby, sand and others when I don't deserve any of it. I treat all of you decently, the only ones who have problems are those who consistently troll my posts, so who really is at fault here ?

I've asked them several times to please stop, and they don't. I've also reported their personal attacks to moderators so many times and not once (Until just before and thank you, whoever responded :2cents:) had something done, or even a response from a moderator.

Basically every post/thread I make is met with some useless and stupid comment like 1) "OH NOES HERE GOES ROBOT AGAIN!" or 2) "lolol what a fanboy, im going to block himyayayay."

1) And there YOU (Whoever says that) go again. Myself and others have said it several times, no one cares if you don't like me, block me or just ignore my posts, there is no need to openly state how you think I'm a fanboy or say how you've blocked me for the 37th time (And doesn't that defeat the purpose of blocking me ?).

2) Like I said above, by talking about me, etc you're completely defeating the purpose of blocking me. The purpose of blocking someone is so you can avoid them, and what they have to say, so stating how you've blocked me is stupid and silly.

Now, I haven't blocked them yet in hope they'll make some good posts (And on occasion they have, just incredibly rarely) but all I ever hear from them is how I'm a fanboy and how they've blocked me so I guess maybe I should ? They don't seem to actively add anything to any threads (From the ones I read) rather just attacks at myself and many others on here (Do we call people like that 'trolls' ?).

- For the record I'm not claiming total innocence but until I go around trolling their posts, slandering them to other members and not contributing to threads I think I'm the one who is a little better off.

You read it wrong, I said it's the same as XP as in theme wise, not OS wise. Vista home basic is a rip off and pretty much Vista in any form is, so how can anyone want to pay £200-350 for a OS is beyond me. Since MS took fives years to produce it they are screwing the customer to make up for it, it's just a shame that many of you people cannot see it. thankfully OS X/Linux people can see this though Apple do tend to screw us in the UK just like MS do and prices but they are still cheaper and Vista.

What people fail to realize is that OSes have always tried to emulate certain features, thats like saying Open office stole ideas from Microsoft Word. But they are both Word Processors which have certain characteristics, like spell check. OSes have similar features, but many of them have to evolve first. Aero and Aqua are both froms of GUI, but have evolved with the times. Same with search and Explorer/finder.

There is one feature that MyExpose does not have from the Mac version, and that’s to tile only the open windows of a particular application.

So does that mean the feature I use the most in Exposé doesn't actually exist???

That is exactly what F10 does.

Not only do they rip it off, they claim that they have more features.... ;)

After reading the mentioned post I can see you showed me whats what :P. I'll be happily removing the offending section of my last post. And robotskip I apologize, I should have kept my own personal thoughts out of the discussion :rolleyes:.
Thank you.
You read it wrong, I said it's the same as XP as in theme wise, not OS wise. Vista home basic is a rip off and pretty much Vista in any form is, so how can anyone want to pay £200-350 for a OS is beyond me. Since MS took fives years to produce it they are screwing the customer to make up for it, it's just a shame that many of you people cannot see it. thankfully OS X/Linux people can see this though Apple do tend to screw us in the UK just like MS do and prices but they are still cheaper and Vista.
Either way, you're still wrong. Just because it's missing animations, visual effects and the like doesn't mean it's exactly the same as XP, you still have the new GUI just without the flashy things, so the new Start Menu, new Explorer, etc is still there.

You don't need to pay either £200-350 for Vista either, since some ~ 90% of PCs have Windows most people only need Home Premium [upgrade] which is around ~ $170AU, so, it'd be pretty freaking cheap elsewhere or you could just get an OEM version.

It's a shame you fail to see Vista is very affordable (As pointed out above) and the prices are, for the most part, in line with XP.

So does that mean the feature I use the most in Exposé doesn't actually exist???

Not only do they rip it off, they claim that they have more features.... ;)

They didn't claim it has more features, the blog did and they 'ripped' it off ? Who cares.. there has been Dock copies on Linux, BSD and Windows since forever.

Seriously, What is the big deal here? Expose clones have been out for 2000, XP and 2003 for almost Two years. Anything from paywares like Topdesk to rogue developer endevours such as entelbose. You're all getting yourselves in a huff now because someone rewrote it for Vista?

It's a nice feature, It's going to get ported over to other systems. Although I don't expect to see a Linux is copying OS X thread anytime soon. It amuses me that it irks some of you so much. When fast user switching was introduced to OS X I thought to myself Hey cool, It really is a handy feature. Then went about my day. There's only so much that can be done with a GUI, Different OS' are going to copy/borrow/steal/imitate (pick one) from each other. The question you should ask yourself is: Does this effect me the user? The answer is NO it doesn't.

Thank you.

Either way, you're still wrong. Just because it's missing animations, visual effects and the like doesn't mean it's exactly the same as XP, you still have the new GUI just without the flashy things, so the new Start Menu, new Explorer, etc is still there.

You don't need to pay either £200-350 for Vista either, since some ~ 90% of PCs have Windows most people only need Home Premium [upgrade] which is around ~ $170AU, so, it'd be pretty freaking cheap elsewhere or you could just get an OEM version.

It's a shame you fail to see Vista is very affordable (As pointed out above) and the prices are, for the most part, in line with XP.

They didn't claim it has more features, the blog did and they 'ripped' it off ? Who cares.. there has been Dock copies on Linux, BSD and Windows since forever.

If you keep saying it you will believe it's true, I like how you put a spin on these things and quiet frankly i've never come across a Microsoft apologizer like yourself. I know no one on nvnews forums that has brought Vista upgrade, the fan-boys just buy the Ultimate because, well just because. The fact reminds that Ultimate is £350, premium is £199 and upgrade/OEM is beside the point.

OK you said it, "The flashy things" which is worth paying MUCH more for?, because the way you say it, sounds useless to me. With OS X/Linux you get the whole version not about 8 different version. Funny though, this was one of the things that MS slammed Linux for "to many flavors" and not only that they are planning on more frequent releases. This is contradictory to what they where saying was the problem with Linux.

You say 90% of PC's will only need Premium, well how would you know, it would be nice if the customer had a choice. Oh I forgot it's Windows or Windows, there is no choice.

Seriously, What is the big deal here? Expose clones have been out for 2000, XP and 2003 for almost Two years.

care to give a link for an expose for xp?

EDIT: can't believe i didnt think of a google search. geez im losing it...

http://www.matiasmoreno.com.ar/winexpose/ seems to be the only freeware one i can find.

Edited by non sequitur

There is one feature that MyExpose does not have from the Mac version, and that’s to tile only the open windows of a particular application.

Not only do they rip it off, they claim that they have more features.... :thumbsdown_anim:

From what I understood the quote was saying Vista does not have the ability to tile windows of the same application, not that OSX doesn't. The quote was just arranged in a bad order. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, it's not like Windows has Fast User Switching (Windows XP in 2001 / OSX 10.3 in 2003), Gadgets (Longhorn Build 3683 in 2002 / OSX 10.4 in 2005), Fax (Windows XP in 2001 / OSX 10.3 in 2003), Virtual Folders (Early Longhorn build), built in Zip support (Windows XP in 2001 / OSX 10.3 in 2003), 'good' search (Early Longhorn build in ~2002 / OSX 10.4 in 2005), DCE/DWM, basic security (Windows XP in 2001 / OSX 10.3 in 2003), file recovery (Shadow copy in Server 2003 / Leopard in .. ?), Core Ani, etc.

You killed it with that one. There really is no come back from that. You're only pulling on strings if you try.

Micro$oft and Appl£ Take your money ;)

Genius. Appl£!!!!!

Because a lot of you almost have this condition where you simply can't accept that Apple is just as much of a money hungry company as Microsoft is.

All Apple products (maybe with a slight exception of the MacBook) is are heavily overpriced just like all Microsoft products.

For one who said the feature your saying are copied, it's pathetic that you think "built in zip support" was copied from XP and put into OS X later. Thats like saying Apple copied right click off MS in their UI, I have to give it to you you have a way with words giving the impression your quotes are right. The argument that Vista/Longhorn has features in during it's development and Apple just copied and improved them you simply cannot prove. With Shadow copy, Time Machine brings a easy to use feature to the desktop users like no other, since when is Win2003 a desktop product?

Lets just say hypothetically Apple did copy the features you claim, MS sure made a mess of them and Apple showed MS how to do it proper with innovations on top.

Dashboard is alleged to be based on Apple’s Desk Accessories, first released in 1984 with the original Macintosh. Desk Accessories, similar to widgets, were small mini-applications that operated on a user’s desktop, but disappeared in later versions of Mac OS. (In fact, the Calculator desk accessory remained in the Mac OS up until OS 9, 17 years without an update).

*more useless {censored}*

Do you get some sort of sexual pleasure from making people feel bad about themselves, or is it just a regular pleasure?

Do you get some sort of sexual pleasure from making people feel bad about themselves, or is it just a regular pleasure?

If you don't like the behavior, don't stoop to that level. This thread is cruising for closing. Please leave the personal insults at the door.

First off, I would like to say that I do not mind if one operating system imitates the good features of other operating systems. This ultimately provides a better experience for the end user over time. However, I find robotskip's argument, no matter how elegantly presented, to be quite humorous for a few reasons (excuse the sarcasm):

1) Windows is the only operating system that comes out with betas that have new and innovative ideas in them. The makers of OS X think of the ideas for their operating system the day the operating system is released. That is why your argument is correct in the sense that you reference early builds of Windows but not OS X.

2) Also when making a factual argument, it is pivotal to use value judgments such as "good" because value judgments are strictly indicative of factual support.

3) When making a good argument, it is also essential to analyze only what is most convenient. For example, it is convenient to coin the nebulous term "basic security." If I remember correctly, I could assign a password to my computer since the beginning of time. Another convenient tool is to group related features together, even when they are vastly different (reference file recovery).

I'm not saying that all who oppose robotskip provide sound factual argument. I just dislike the fact that (s)he attempts to take an unmerited moral high ground.

If you don't like the behavior, don't stoop to that level. This thread is cruising for closing. Please leave the personal insults at the door.

No offense, but if you don't want others to stoop to his level, DON'T let his level exists :thumbsup_anim: , aka: stop him from acting that way to others posters. The problem is, nothing is done. My opinion, though.

ON TOPIC:

I just think this is funny to add expose to Vista, which has a feature similar. This my my opinion. Bashing me, insulting me, will be reported. Thank you.

Edited by sandmanfvrga