Apple Seeds 10.4.3 Intel to Developers

sHARD>>

117 posts in this topic

10.4.3 is MUCH more stringent security wise obviously as it now does not boot up. It starts booting and then reboots your computer, even on a computer that normally works perfectly for installing. I tried and it just reboots so it's probably checking for the exact motherboard (as I have the same CPU and video card and RAM amount) or it's checking for the TPM chip.

When I check it in -v it loads a few kexts and then reboots so it is most likely loading the TPM kext and rebooting.

EDIT: It reboots at 'Starting Darwin/x86'

See, it loads up to here and then says 'Starting Darwin/x86' and instantly reboots (had to CAREFULLY watch 6 or 7 times to catch the 'Starting Darwin/x86' thing as it reboots instantly)

http://img432.imageshack.us/img432/5334/1043load1nh.jpg

What is this screen exactlly: booting from Dev DVD to install?

Yes, booting from the 10.4.3 DVD to try and install.

And no 10.4.1 and 10.4.2 both got to a blue screen where it would hang, now OS X won't even load.

Perhaps they've added a new kext that checks for proper hardware, just list the kext cache and compare to the 10.4.1 ?

Yes, booting from the 10.4.3 DVD to try and install.

And no 10.4.1 and 10.4.2 both got to a blue screen where it would hang, now OS X won't even load.

Try to start with -f -x -v or/and

remove Kext cahe files from /Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc/System/Library/

like Extensions.mkext and then start again.

Why don't you find two devs... run a recursive md5 checksum on all the files on the dmg (not the dmg itself) and find which one is different.

On that note I had an idea that has nothing to do with anything. If Apple really wanted to catch some rats, they would put an extra file on each dmg. They could use the MD5 collision pair that was found a month or so ago and generate 2 different files with the same MD5 hash. Leakers would be given a false sense of security and leak their copy only to be shot down. Maybe you should consider using SHA1+MD5 instead =P.

*takes off tin foil hat*

But in all seriousness... just take a recursive list of MD5s of individual files, so you can pinpoint the difference. Apple isn't going to spend too much time with an intricate form of tracking on their DVDs... they probably just have a little deterent dword in there to scare devs and push back the leaks.

Try to start with -f -x -v or/and

remove Kext cahe files from /Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc/System/Library/

like Extensions.mkext and then start again.

removing the kext cache without swapping it with something else cache would hang at the same point, the os doesn't boot without it and doesn't load any kext from the dvd

blkbit;

All excellent and very important points.

One question to the group: Did anyone think to check for watermaking on the Marklar release? Or deadmoo?

I've not found ANY evidence of such a concern.

As I stated previously, if media could easily be watermarked to the point of making each disk "trackable" I would suspect that it would already be done on a fairly large scale. Does anyone here think for one minute that the record companies wouldn't mark every track to prevent ripping if it was feasible?

Caution in any endevour is a good thing, but let's use some common sense...

We DID check for watermarking on the Marklar release. We made sure that the MD5 sums were all the same and that's why we didn't need to worry about releasing it.

We DID check for watermarking on the Marklar release. We made sure that the MD5 sums were all the same and that's why we didn't need to worry about releasing it.

Sorry but I'm confused here. Why can't you use the same people for the MD5 sums on 10.4.3 as you used with the 10.4.1 bits? What did you sum? The entire disk as one sum? All the files?

It seems like a couple of folks on this forum claim to be devs - won't any of them give up a simple md5 sum so we can move forward with this?

I think one the problems here is the extremely high visibility of this project to the end users. It's unusual; the regular "hacking" of a product takes place out of sight -- presumably in some dark basement, lit only by a monitor -- and when the hacking is complete, a release is made.

So let's have some patience. People are working on it. These people aren't stupid.

/blkblt

blkbit;

I know - you are right. It's just getting very frustrating to read about lamer0 getting OpenGL working and iDVD etc. all from the 10.4.3 bits he's got. lamer0 is taking about making a ripping script that would grab stuff off your own copy of 10.4.3 and then construct a patch that could be applied to your existing 10.4.1 install. Cool stuff...

10.4.3 is MUCH more stringent security wise obviously as it now does not boot up. It starts booting and then reboots your computer, even on a computer that normally works perfectly for installing. I tried and it just reboots so it's probably checking for the exact motherboard (as I have the same CPU and video card and RAM amount) or it's checking for the TPM chip.

When I check it in -v it loads a few kexts and then reboots so it is most likely loading the TPM kext and rebooting.

See, it loads up to here and then says 'Starting Darwin/x86' and instantly reboots (had to CAREFULLY watch 6 or 7 times to catch the 'Starting Darwin/x86' thing as it reboots instantly)

Or perhaps OS is looking for the SAME bios...

Try to install in VMware

Darwin 8.2 source is 10.4.2. It can be compiled into a working state for x86 machines. Perhaps that is enough to get a booting/stable system with the 10.4.2 install. Well it's something to try for those that may have this installer; maybe interesting results would come from there, if not only more juicy tidbits of what is to come.

Warning: Pre-release software is Apple confidential information. Your unauthorized distribution of pre–release software or disclosure of information relating to pre–release software (including the posting of screen shots) may subject you to both civil and criminal liability and result in immediate termination of your ADC Membership.

-huma

Well that just sad!!! But Steve Jobs is an Entreprenuer 1st & pirate 2nd lol!!! :rolleyes:

The additional security plus the termination of their membership will really deter anyone to share info of hack to it!!!

But if I was member I wud release the hacks when their planinng their on RC!!! Then they'll sue my ass off!!! But for now this org will have to die in its natural coz!!! But I don't think that we will be able to use Macs in x86 pc anytime soon! If we ever will b 2 do it again Apple will prevent us from updating again!!! Which is a no-win situation!!!

I really "Hope" that Jobs wud go to "HEll" too you know. He was the one who help Steve Wozniak about a device that will let u get free long distance calls & he was as we all know "The Pirate of Silicon Valley" together w/ Lucifer...err I mean Bill Gates they stole technology built by Xerox now known as the mouse & GUI!!!

So in conclusion Steve should live & let live!!! Becoz not only was he a pirate, he was also a felon!!! So for that he should burn in hell extra crispy & well done if can say so myself together w/ Lucifer I mean Bill! But again Lucifer(Bill) is impervious to fires in Hell!!!

Hey guys - lots of rumour and speculation - it's all good discussion material but let's not lose our perspective on this. 10.4.3 will be leaked sooner or later, as will any future builds. Eventually Apple themselves will be shipping install DVDs with every x86 box they sell. No point in them watermarking those, and then won't we have fun?

What we have today is a more-or-less working system backed by an enormous amount of collective knowledge and interest which will undoubtedly prove valuable for getting OSX working on standard PC hardware. I am confident in the technical abilities of forum members and people who reside in other fora on this subject - we will get there! I know it's irritating that we seem to be at a stalemate right now, but our work is not going to be wasted. Patience! :huh:

100% ack.

i can smell the upcoming drivers. Can't wait to get my geforce to life :huh:

It's very doubtful that the Geforce kexts work at all so I wouldn't get too hopeful :)

EDIT: 10.4.3 stuff was posted here (NOT USEFUL TO NON-HACKERS/HEX EDITORS! IF YOU DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN THEN YOU CAN'T SO DON'T BOTHER):

http://www.win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1296&page=33

Ok, This is the 10.4.3 Story according to thinksecret:

Apple Released 10.4.2 to developers as a 2.7gb Image

When they install the image, it activates the software update, where a 97.7mb 10.4.3 update is.

This may explain the conflicting message about the sizes of 10.4.3 and 10.4.2

We can therefore conclude that Apple may have released both builds together closely so that it becomes near impossible to hack the os easily (i.e. you would have to make three hacks to get .1 - .2 - .3, which is probably beyond the average user

Thinksecret Source

Ok, This is the 10.4.3 Story according to thinksecret:

Apple Released 10.4.2 to developers as a 2.7gb Image

When they install the image, it activates the software update, where a 97.7mb 10.4.3 update is.

This may explain the conflicting message about the sizes of 10.4.3 and 10.4.2

We can therefore conclude that Apple may have released both builds together closely so that it becomes near impossible to hack the os easily (i.e. you would have to make three hacks to get .1 - .2 - .3, which is probably beyond the average user

Thinksecret Source

What a load of nonsense. The 10.4.3 build mentioned in the article is PPC, not Intel. And nobody mentioned anything about "software update"

all you have to do is look at the date of the article

September 12, 2005 - Apple seeded developers with new builds of Mac OS 10.4.3 and Mac OS X 10.4.2 for Developer Transition Kits (Intel) over the weekend