[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

This looks interesting.

> 6. Enchance NVME support and reduce noise

Anyone is brave enough to try the update first? :P

Done, just updated. Works fine here with my system. Noise it not reduced, though ;)

EDIT: wmchris is correct, Sleep doesn't work anymore. Only the display and USB get powered off, fan and the rest of the system remain running.

• Like 1

sleep doesnt work anymore on my machine after update. it just powers off usb and display, fan still running. Can you confirm this?

I honestly haven't checked. I updated the BIOS, watched it do its thing while having dinner, saw the Login screen and logged in. closed the lid afterwards. I hope it's sleeping. Will check once home.

Maybe it will even magically fix my FCP X woes.

EDIT: See above, I perceive the same behavior as you do.

For those, who have TB device on hands, and have already working config for USB-C (i mean - fully working, with hot-plug) - try to replace your SSDT-TB.aml with mine, reboot without TB device connected - and try to hotplug it after boot. Wait 10-20 second - and make dump from IOJones.

P.S. Finally i got USB-C properly working with USBC-to-USBC cable connected between laptop and my lovely Google Pixel XL! Yes! It is working natively, and with hotplug ;)

SSDT-TB.zip

• Like 2

Dell released new USB type C/thunderbolt firmware update for Dell docks along side with the bios update. Can someone check if it is affecting anything. I would do this by myself but currently I am using ssd with only Windows installed on it.

02b7b3bfae99a416d83fc92044c96bb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is anyone experiencing numbers 0 and 9 randomly popping inside a text area while using the touchpad? This mainly occurs while horizontal scrolling or selecting. Is there a way to disable the gestures without manually changing and recompiling the driver? I read somewhere on the forum that the options for gestures in the touchpad menu are useless? Thanks.

Updating to the latest drivers disabled everything. Not sure if because of the trackpad settings menu which were disabled or because of the driver. No more random 0 or 9 appearing, which is good. 

Edited by th3_v0ice

For those, who have TB device on hands, and have already working config for USB-C (i mean - fully working, with hot-plug) - try to replace your SSDT-TB.aml with mine, reboot without TB device connected - and try to hotplug it after boot. Wait 10-20 second - and make dump from IOJones.

P.S. Finally i got USB-C properly working with USBC-to-USBC cable connected between laptop and my lovely Google Pixel XL! Yes! It is working natively, and with hotplug ;)

I tried many times but still kernel panic.

0192edd9706df4b3f5b755c8610f0bbf.jpg

I also drop all oem tables and delete all kexttopatch but still in kernelpanic when use this SSDT-TB.aml

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

I have a dell dock on hand for a couple of days. I tried it today without any modifications of the system and it was working out of the box. By that I mean hot plugging it. The only problem that I encountered is not correct colour on the attached monitors. I only tried with HDMI and VGA port. Don't have DP monitors. I will try to provide the dump from IOjones tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I've never had problem with colour reproduction on the external displays attached to mine Dell dock, have you tried to install and manually change the color profile of your displays in the Mac OS. On the other hand I still have a problem with connecting mouse and keyboard to the dock. It's still not recognised even after replacing ssdt-tb.aml file with the one provided by goodwin_c.

• Like 1

Have you checked if they are detected in the same way while they are plugged into hdmi built-in the xps? If yes this may be a problem with Mac OS.

They are actually, but the colour is fine. 

Dell TB15 has been discontinued by Dell due to the many various issues with its hardware and firmware, Dell even offered a replacement for people who bought TB15 on TB16, but you can still trying. TB15 in this price is worth at least giving it a shot.

As i know - TB15 has two major issues - overheat with dual 4k monitors connected and some problems with interferences (related to laptops wifi). Both issues can be easily fixed with right hands + soldering iron to mount Fan, and some foil tape to make shielding :) So i think it's worth spending 30$ for such device :-D

• Like 1

If that are the major flaws of TB15 I might consider selling mine WD15 (USB-C dock) and buying used TB15 from eBay. Thanks for heads up.

From what i have found - new TB16 is same TB15 with added RF shield (to avoid interference from laptop wifi) and added holes on case + cooler that is working always (ppl are not happy with permanent noise :-D ) Didn't found any other changes

• Like 1

Thanks for that! Ive replaced the aml in the EFI partition. Need time to test it bcos I dont have any USB-C-to-USB-C dongle (yet)

my last ssdt-tb was just interesting try, and in real life it is messy and not properly wrote. So for now better to skip trying it. I'm waiting my TB15 and after this i will try to look closer how i can improve that (there is very big todo list, especially debugging dell acpi code - to determinate how TB chip is enabled/disabled/switched between usbc/alternative(tb) modes etc.). Our main issue is that dell has ACPI controlled stuff, that controls chip, and it is powering it off when nothing is connected. But Apple has different behavior - looks like they are not totally shutting down TB, and chip is less ACPI and more driver controlled.

• Like 1

Hi mikolatero,

can you share which kext you added the board-id to.

i added my to the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext but still can't get the HDMI to work

EDIT:

Sorry, my bad, hadn't rebuilt the cache after making the changes.

Hello! 

One week and no data corruption! But now, i'm using time machine xDD

Well, now i have another problem, hdmi video output not work and, when i plug my Dell DA200 into usb-c port nothing happend. I try hdmi, vga, usb and ethernet and nothing recogniced D:

I have the same SMBIOS like config at first post (iMac 5K 27") maybe i need to change to macbook pro?

Thanks for all.

EDIT:

Fixed, i change my smbios to macbook13,3, added my board-id to kext and now HDMI / VGA works hot-plug. But usb in da200 not work D: