Gigabyte Z170X - Gaming 7 - Success Hackintosh

164 posts in this topic

3. Sleep, Restart, Shutdown <== My hackintosh not working correctly. Sleep and not wake up, don't shutdown, it restart forever.

4. Super Speed USB 3.0 not function at 10.11.2 Beta version. But, with 10.11.1 Public releas it's working nicely. Bug i thought. Update : with 10.11.2 Build 15C50 all USB are Working, use my "Z170X-Gaming-7-USB3.0-Injection.kext" and SMBios 17.1 Credit to Rehabman <=== I install with KCMP Utility Pro but not working.

I have attach my DSDT and config.plis.

Tks for help.

Now it shuts down and goes off, but turns on again.

I found the tip to turn off "Wake on Lan" but its shown greyed in UEFI for the Intel Lan so I can't to that

Next Thing will be installing Windows on Second Drive to check if its the same so i have to search UEFI Settings.

And the 10.11.3 Update seams to break USB 3.1 again

Did you have luck with AppleHDA and using all Inputs and Outputs or are you still using VoodooHDA?

Check main post,, i have edited link download. If you have different graphic card, Processor or PCI-E Device then try to use "General Setting Without Graphic Injection for Z170X-Gaming 7". You only need to use "nvda_drv=1" if you have already installed Nvidia Web Driver, or "nv_disable=1" if you are at installation process.

I  updated method to AppleHDA too,, try it

• Like 1

Check main post,, i have edited link download. If you have different graphic card, Processor or PCI-E Device then try to use "General Setting Without Graphic Injection for Z170X-Gaming 7". You only need to use "nvda_drv=1" if you have already installed Nvidia Web Driver, or "nv_disable=1" if you are at installation process.

It's working.  Usb 3.0, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart and Audio.

Tks u.

My Graphics Intel Hd Graphics 530 and AMD R9 380. Can you patch this ?

Intel HD Graphics 530 auto receive to Intel Hd Graphics 7000. But i boots with IGFX and after login, i switch it to PCI. I thinks it need patched, but i can't.

It's working.  Usb 3.0, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart and Audio.

Tks u.

My Graphics Intel Hd Graphics 530 and AMD R9 380. Can you patch this ?

Intel HD Graphics 530 auto receive to Intel Hd Graphics 7000. But i boots with IGFX and after login, i switch it to PCI. I thinks it need patched, but i can't.

I have successed once with Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 + i5 4440 + AMD Radeon R9 280.

You only need to patch ATY Controller. You can read article here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303186-how-to-modification-of-amd-fb-clover-injection/ :yes:

• Like 1

AndyCorleone : if you have SkyLake Platforms, then you must use iMac17,1 for better CPU and System Power Management. The solution of Black Screen is editing "AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kexts's info.plist" inside "AppleGraphicsControl.kext's plugin". Edit "none"according iMac17,1 board-id.

Hi Andres, Once again thanks for you help

I went to:

System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/info.plist

I changed my "iMac17,1 board-id." "config2" to "None" that's what you meant? but still have black screen

Hi again,

Shutdown works now THX a lot

but still no USB 3.1 with 10.11.3

and Sound is not working, the outputs are only showed in Systeminformation but not in Audio Settings

post-1255932-0-54337600-1453404067_thumb.png

and another question, did you try Bios F7g yet?

Trying to finish up this Hackintosh but I am running into an odd problem. When installing clover on the SSD and attempting to boot I get the restriction icon after the Apple logo with loading bar. Every restart a fake EFI entries appears in the boot menu.

If I boot using clover on the flash drive El Capitan boots fine. I tried Clover versions r3320 and r3333

Edit: Found my solution, had to copy the EFI folder from my flash drive and copy it over to the root of my SSD's EFI folder. Than installed the same Clover.

Hi again,

Shutdown works now THX a lot

but still no USB 3.1 with 10.11.3

and Sound is not working, the outputs are only showed in Systeminformation but not in Audio Settings

attachicon.gifOhne Titel.png

and another question, did you try Bios F7g yet?

restarted to windows and did bios update.

now Sound and USB 3.1 are working

Thx again and hoping for an Update when Volume Slider fix is there

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of putting together a new rig, but my current setup is an old Core 2 Duo rig with Lion and a Radeon 4850, so it's been a while since I've set up from scratch. So bear with me if I reiterate questions that may have been asked before. I'll try not to :)

My current "shopping list" looks like this at the moment:
- motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 5
- cpu: Intel Core i7 6700K / 4 GHz
- cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
- memory: Kingston HyperX Savage - DDR4 - 16 GB : 2 x 8 GB - DIMM 288-pin
- graphics: Gigabyte GV-N960G1 GAMING-4GD - GF GTX 960 - 4 GB
- hdd: Samsung 850 PRO MZ-7KE512BW - 512 GB - SATA-600
- case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition
- psu: Corsair Power Supply (PSU) HX750i 750W 80 PLUS Platinum

My reasoning for choosing the Gaming 5 instead of the 7 version is that it is slightly cheaper and it has the Realtek audio chipset.

Is that motherboard a good choice? I've read about some "issues" with the Creative drivers, and I have good experience with Realtek from before (although I didn't bother last time since I use a USB Logitech G330 headset most of the time anyway).

I'm of course going for 10.11.x (whatever version it is now, .2?) this time around, since I assume that there's no support for Skylake in 10.10 anyway, correct?

Comments on the setup above welcome, I'm looking to place the order some time next week.

Seeing the responses in this thread I look forward to getting help when needed :)

Edit: Oh, I also want to throw in that the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH motherboard is also an option for me. Does anyone know if OS X will support Thunderbolt on that board? It's nothing I have use for at the moment mind you, and since I don't have any TB devices whatsoever, it's not a huge plus personally. Meanwhile, I'm off to scour the forum for more info.

Edited by Hornball
  • Like 1

I'm in the process of putting together a new rig, but my current setup is an old Core 2 Duo rig with Lion and a Radeon 4850, so it's been a while since I've set up from scratch. So bear with me if I reiterate questions that may have been asked before. I'll try not to :)

My reasoning for choosing the Gaming 5 instead of the 7 version is that it is slightly cheaper and it has the Realtek audio chipset.

Is that motherboard a good choice? I've read about some "issues" with the Creative drivers, and I have good experience with Realtek from before (although I didn't bother last time since I use a USB Logitech G330 headset most of the time anyway).

I'm of course going for 10.11.x (whatever version it is now, .2?) this time around, since I assume that there's no support for Skylake in 10.10 anyway, correct?

Comments on the setup above welcome, I'm looking to place the order some time next week.

Seeing the responses in this thread I look forward to getting help when needed :)

Edit: Oh, I also want to throw in that the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH motherboard is also an option for me. Does anyone know if OS X will support Thunderbolt on that board? It's nothing I have use for at the moment mind you, and since I don't have any TB devices whatsoever, it's not a huge plus personally. Meanwhile, I'm off to scour the forum for more info.

Good RIG,, no problem. Buy and let's make Hackintosh :D

• Like 1

Hi,

I have the same motherboard, but with an i5, a GTX960, 16GB RAM.

I installed El Capitan 10.11.1, and with clover configurator mounted EFI and deleted the CLOVER folder on Mac SSD > EFI, and copied the "General Setting Without Graphic Injection for Z170X-Gaming 7" CLOVER folder into the same place.

Rebooted and nothing has changed, still don't have network cards usable.

What am i doing wrong?

Thank you.

Hi,

I have the same motherboard, but with an i5, a GTX960, 16GB RAM.

I installed El Capitan 10.11.1, and with clover configurator mounted EFI and deleted the CLOVER folder on Mac SSD > EFI, and copied the "General Setting Without Graphic Injection for Z170X-Gaming 7" CLOVER folder into the same place.

Rebooted and nothing has changed, still don't have network cards usable.

What am i doing wrong?

Thank you.

I've figured it out. I was copying it to the SSD, but since i'm booting from usb I needed to copy it to the USB drive.

I got my rig built now, but there's a workday or two before the weekend, so I figured I would start out by going through Andres posts before I sink my teeth into anything. I will be getting my hands on an old HDD from my old Mac Pro (early 2008) tomorrow or so, that I figured I could do a few practice runs on if needed :)

I was hoping to dual-boot El Capitan and Windows 10 (my significant other is studying to be an engineer and needs Windows to use Siemens NX properly, for school work), and from what I gather the best way is to dual-boot from two separate drives? So I figure the SSD will have El Capitan, and the old HDD can chug along for Windows.

Any specific tools that I should download beforehand? Clover is included with one (or both?) of the beasts that shall not be named if I recall.

But first, tomorrow most likely, I will dive into the EFI BIOS settings that needs to be changed :)

Hi hornball,

I used an older rig to test dual boot with El Capitan and Windows 10 on a same hard disk, It works just fine, all you need to consider is to first install Mac OS X first and Install windows later, as you know Mac OS X uses GUID Partition Map which has a smaller FAT32 partition for EFI and the rest of the hard disk is used for OS and other data.

If you insist on using two separate hard disks for different OSes it's cool but in my experience Mac OS X is better to be the first OS to be installed.

On 1/30/2016 at 6:36 PM, Hornball said:

About installing Mac OS X Yosemite on Skylake as you mentioned there is no official support for Skylake CPU's in Yosemite 10.10.x but I managed to install it on my system and everything was working perfectly even all the USB ports included, USB2 and USB3.0 I didn't test the USB3.1 port because I have no compatible device.

In order to get Mac OS X 10.10.x installer to boot on a SkyLake processor all you need to do is to use a FakeCPUID for a supported CPU and I use HaswellE "FakeCPUID:0x00306F2" or if you want to use KernelPM for IvyBridge CPU.

Huge thanks to Andres for streamlining this process for us.

My setup:

OSX 10.11.3

Intel i5-6600K 3.5Ghz

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (Latest BIOS firmware F7g)

G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400 16GB 2x8GB

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 Gaming G1 WindForce 4GB GDDR5

Samsung 850 Evo SSD Series 500GB

I've followed Andres tutorial.

I used Andres "General Setting Without Graphic Injection for Z170X-Gaming 7" mainly because i don't use a wireless card, and my CPU is different.

At this point on reboot i had black screen (monitors sleep), i used this step by step solution to fix it:

1. Open Terminal
    2. Enter this command (it is one line)

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

3. Arrow down to where you see <key>ConfigMap</key>
    4. For the iMac15,1 locate the board-id "Mac-42FD25EABCABB274" and change string below it from "Config2" to "none". For the MacPro6,1 you will do the same thing but for the board-id "Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6". For the iMac17,1 you'll have to see which board-id is declared in your config.plist SMBIOS: "Mac-B809C3757DA9BB8D" or "Mac-65CE76090165799A" or "Mac-DB15BD556843C820" and change the appropriate entry to "none".
    5. Save the file by pressing Ctrl+O, then enter.
    6. Exit by pressing Ctrl+X
    7. Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands in terminal:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    sudo kextcache -system-caches

8. Reboot

After that, for sound to work, i only had to do step 3d, because 3a, 3b and 3c are already implemented when using Andres files on step 1 or 2.

Minor Problems detected as of now:

1. Mac Volume Control does not work (You can use another kext for this to work, but haven't tried it yet, see this thread (post #25))

2. Hibernation doesn't work

3. After waking from sleep my usb key gets ejected and the OS tells me that it was improperly ejected.

Alright, here's a bit of an update from me :)

Time seems to never be on my side these days, and a sick significant other has offered some extra chores around the house. Life.

I mentioned that the rig was built and such, and I've been waiting for the weekend to start fiddling around. I managed to get a Windows 10 installation up and running (though I had to burn the damn ISO to a proper DVD to get it running, nothing I did allowed me to get a bootable USB - and now I don't care) on a spare drive, but that will have to be reinstalled when things have settled down on the OS X front.

Anyways, I considered a bunch of options, but ended up using the El Capitan install to create the USB stick for the install, and Clovered the hell out of that. At the moment I am at a bit of a junction I guess. Here's what I got at the moment:

No DSDT at the moment, I'm off to see my old pal Deadpool tonight so that will have to wait either way. Basically I started out with the config.plist Clover gave me on the USB stick, but booted with nv_disable=1. I do have a few patches in KextsToPatch (Skylake APIC, change 15 port limit to 30 in AppleUSBXHCIPCI) and Rename HDAS to HDEF in DSDT/Patches. Not sure if they have any real influence on anything as of yet, but I managed to install El Capitan without much of a problem.

And that is basically where I am now. The rig is not on the LAN yet, so I haven't tried any NIC, nor is the graphics working properly. Working, but not using the GTX960 properly. Screen resolution is off and such.

But it's a decent start.

Where should I direct my efforts next? Trying the DSDT.aml Andres and possibly one I found for a Gaming 3 board?

I assume that as for the graphics card, all I need to do is boot up, download and install the Nvidia Web drivers, remove the nv_disable=1 boot arg and replace it with nvda_drv=1 on reboot? Any pitfalls?

I would also like to have the Clover boot screen in the monitor's native 2560x1440 resolution, if anyone knows the trick to accomplish that.

A small disclaimer: I haven't messed with setting up a hackintosh in years (mine has served me well for a long, long time) and I am utterly new to Clover and using a DSDT for example :)

Now, off to Deadpool!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got El Capitan to install on my machine, but I can't get any ethernet interface to show up using either connection. My setup is:

- Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7

- Intel i7 6700k

- 32GB RAM

- Radeon 290X (which isn't corrently detected either but I thought I'd fix the ethernet first)

- Samsung 950Pro on NVMe for Windows

- Sandisk 128GB SSD for OS X

If during the setup I'd tell it to configure my wired network, the installer would just crash, and I would briefly see a kernel panic in com.insanelymac.AtherosE2200Ethernet. I told it to not setup any networking and that allowed the setup to go through, but then in the control panel I still can't see any interfaces, regardless of which one is plugged in. Any tips?

Finally got El Capitan to install on my machine, but I can't get any ethernet interface to show up using either connection. My setup is:

- Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7

- Intel i7 6700k

- 32GB RAM

- Radeon 290X (which isn't corrently detected either but I thought I'd fix the ethernet first)

- Samsung 950Pro on NVMe for Windows

- Sandisk 128GB SSD for OS X

If during the setup I'd tell it to configure my wired network, the installer would just crash, and I would briefly see a kernel panic in com.insanelymac.AtherosE2200Ethernet. I told it to not setup any networking and that allowed the setup to go through, but then in the control panel I still can't see any interfaces, regardless of which one is plugged in. Any tips?

It's looks error of your config.plist. Maybe at DSDT Fix section. Can you upload your Clover Folder here??? :)

Thanks for wanting to help out :) I've attached my clover folder. Some additional info; the adapters are detected as PCI devices in the system profile and it says a kext is loaded for them, so I'm sure the Atheros kext is loaded (it also appears in the kernel logging). It's as if just the networking subsystem doesn't see it.

Alright, here's a bit of an update from me :)

Time seems to never be on my side these days, and a sick significant other has offered some extra chores around the house. Life.

I mentioned that the rig was built and such, and I've been waiting for the weekend to start fiddling around. I managed to get a Windows 10 installation up and running (though I had to burn the damn ISO to a proper DVD to get it running, nothing I did allowed me to get a bootable USB - and now I don't care) on a spare drive, but that will have to be reinstalled when things have settled down on the OS X front.

Anyways, I considered a bunch of options, but ended up using the El Capitan install to create the USB stick for the install, and Clovered the hell out of that. At the moment I am at a bit of a junction I guess. Here's what I got at the moment:

No DSDT at the moment, I'm off to see my old pal Deadpool tonight so that will have to wait either way. Basically I started out with the config.plist Clover gave me on the USB stick, but booted with nv_disable=1. I do have a few patches in KextsToPatch (Skylake APIC, change 15 port limit to 30 in AppleUSBXHCIPCI) and Rename HDAS to HDEF in DSDT/Patches. Not sure if they have any real influence on anything as of yet, but I managed to install El Capitan without much of a problem.

And that is basically where I am now. The rig is not on the LAN yet, so I haven't tried any NIC, nor is the graphics working properly. Working, but not using the GTX960 properly. Screen resolution is off and such.

But it's a decent start.

Where should I direct my efforts next? Trying the DSDT.aml Andres and possibly one I found for a Gaming 3 board?

I assume that as for the graphics card, all I need to do is boot up, download and install the Nvidia Web drivers, remove the nv_disable=1 boot arg and replace it with nvda_drv=1 on reboot? Any pitfalls?

I would also like to have the Clover boot screen in the monitor's native 2560x1440 resolution, if anyone knows the trick to accomplish that.

A small disclaimer: I haven't messed with setting up a hackintosh in years (mine has served me well for a long, long time) and I am utterly new to Clover and using a DSDT for example :)

Now, off to Deadpool!

You need to activate Nvdia Graphics Card first  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim: , use Nvidia Web Driver

Thanks for wanting to help out :) I've attached my clover folder. Some additional info; the adapters are detected as PCI devices in the system profile and it says a kext is loaded for them, so I'm sure the Atheros kext is loaded (it also appears in the kernel logging). It's as if just the networking subsystem doesn't see it.

Looks like I forgot to actually attach the file... Let's try again.

I should add; I started with your general settings and then tried to get it working from there. I added the Radeon 290X kext patches and injection (which did nothing), and tried updating the Atheros and E1000 kexts with the latest ones, but that's about as far as my changes went.

CLOVER.zip

Looks like I forgot to actually attach the file... Let's try again.

I should add; I started with your general settings and then tried to get it working from there. I added the Radeon 290X kext patches and injection (which did nothing), and tried updating the Atheros and E1000 kexts with the latest ones, but that's about as far as my changes went.

So, what's the problem right now??? You need to "Disable CSM" from BIOS. Then use FB Name Baladi and tick Inject ATI. Don't use FakeATI. Can you tell me device id of your graphics card?

The problem right now is that none of the ethernet ports work (they don't show up in the control panel, and if I click the "add" button the control panel just crashes), and that I don't get proper video from the graphics card (it's stuck at 1920x1080, and there are artifacts). I have tried with both CSM enabled and disabled; it didn't make any difference. My graphics card device id is 0x1002 0x67B0 (same as the fake id, so I didn't think it could hurt). When I get home I'll try without FakeATI, but I don't think that'll fix my network problem :D

I should also add that I used this card in my previous system (GA-EP45-DS4 with Yosemite) without any issues straight out of the box, with no specific changes to the config.plist.

Edit: turns out my video card was re-enabling CSM because it didn't have a UEFI vBIOS. I reflashed it and got CSM properly disabled, and since then I managed to boot once with both graphics and network working perfectly. Unfortunately, after rebooting again it now keeps waiting for the root device. No idea what went wrong now. This thing is cursed, I tell you.

Edit 2: Apparently enabling the networking stack in the UEFI setup causes that "waiting for root device" issue. Now it boots, but I don't get a display. The video card is however properly detected now because it mentions enabling the video acceleration subsystem in the console (right before the screen goes black) which it didn't do before.

The problem right now is that none of the ethernet ports work (they don't show up in the control panel, and if I click the "add" button the control panel just crashes), and that I don't get proper video from the graphics card (it's stuck at 1920x1080, and there are artifacts). I have tried with both CSM enabled and disabled; it didn't make any difference. My graphics card device id is 0x1002 0x67B0 (same as the fake id, so I didn't think it could hurt). When I get home I'll try without FakeATI, but I don't think that'll fix my network problem :D

I should also add that I used this card in my previous system (GA-EP45-DS4 with Yosemite) without any issues straight out of the box, with no specific changes to the config.plist.

Edit: turns out my video card was re-enabling CSM because it didn't have a UEFI vBIOS. I reflashed it and got CSM properly disabled, and since then I managed to boot once with both graphics and network working perfectly. Unfortunately, after rebooting again it now keeps waiting for the root device. No idea what went wrong now. This thing is cursed, I tell you.

It's about IOAPIC Entry, Sata Controller or XHC Hand Off Configuration. Set IOAPIC Entry : Disabled, Sata Controller : AHCI and XHC Hand-Off : Enabled