Haswell-E 5820k 5930k installation guide with full speedstep working

stinga11

358 posts in this topic

Are you using a specific aptiofix or just the latest in the clover build?

I know what the problem is... Just ran into this myself.  You need to use this file (OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi) instead of Clovers built-in OsxAptioFixDrv.efi.  You will also need to remove "OsxLowMemFixDrv.efi" or "test2.efi" (this was the previous solution, which does NOT work after 10.11.3) if they are present in EFI>Clover>Drivers64UEFI.  OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi works for all versions (I just tested 10.11.3 as well).

The credit goes to h4x and nickwoodhams for this solution and his original blog post can be seen here (nickwoodhams.com) where Nick writes about too many PCIecards causing the memory allocation issue. Nick discovered the issue and wrote "test2.efi" (previous solution in which we just added to Drivers64UEFI on top of everything vs what we do now which is replace the Aptio .efi files with h4x's file) while h4x recompiled Nick's theory along with Clover EFI files.  Scroll down into the comments of the said blog link to see h4x's original comment/post that starts out:

"Good news! I merged OsxAptioFix2Drv with OsxLowMemFixDrv and it works with 10.11.4. Can anyone have a try?

Compiled binary (compiled with Clover r3354, tested with r3354 and r3469):

https://drive.google.com/file/..."

I literally just got stuck on this after upgrading from 10.11.3 to 10.11.5!  Not all systems need this file, as it depends on the amount of PCIe cards installed... Many thanks go out to Nickwoodhams and h4x for discovering this and your work in finding a solution to the issue!

As I mentioned, whether or not you need h4x's file depends on the amount and placement of your PCIe cards.  It is also dependent on which SATA controller you are using for your primary OS X disk - if you are using the second controller then you will need this...   Usually folks that have more than 2 cards will need this.  I have 2 GPUs, an NVMe drive and an official Apple WiFi/BT card... If you only have one or two PCIe cards and your startup disk is connected to the primary SATA controller you can more than likely get away with using the stock Clover Aptiofix. 

I know what the problem is... Just ran into this myself.  You need to use this file (OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi) instead of Clovers built-in OsxAptioFixDrv.efi.  You will also need to remove "OsxLowMemFixDrv.efi" or "test2.efi" (this was the previous solution, which does NOT work after 10.11.3) if they are present in EFI>Clover>Drivers64UEFI.  OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi works for all versions (I just tested 10.11.3 as well).

The credit goes to h4x and nickwoodhams for this solution and his original blog post can be seen here (nickwoodhams.com) where Nick writes about too many PCIecards causing the memory allocation issue. Nick discovered the issue and wrote "test2.efi" (previous solution in which we just added to Drivers64UEFI on top of everything vs what we do now which is replace the Aptio .efi files with h4x's file) while h4x recompiled Nick's theory along with Clover EFI files.  Scroll down into the comments of the said blog link to see h4x's original comment/post that starts out:

I literally just got stuck on this after upgrading from 10.11.3 to 10.11.5!  Not all systems need this file, as it depends on the amount of PCIe cards installed... Many thanks go out to Nickwoodhams and h4x for discovering this and your work in finding a solution to the issue!

I've been fighting with this PCI-X99 firmware bug-clover-allocation memory problem for 1.5 years. Didn't realize it was a pci issue until recently!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304022-asus-x99-deluxe-funky-clover-uefi-behavior-f8-key-on-boot-5960x/

Did some more experimenting today.

I had a drive with a clean install of 10.11.5 on it. I installed lastest clover, and used h4x's file.

It worked, but only if it was the 1st boot Uefi device in the BIOS...otherwise..no dice..also error if using the F8 boot menu in BIOS. It also seemed to intermittently work. I would crash in the middle of verbose boot sometimes...

So I went back to trying test2.efi. method.  With tes2efi, it wouldn't work at all.

if I boot to my other drive with 10.10.4 on it, which has test2.efi, I could boot my 10.11.5 system every time, no problems..or the 10.10.4 system..or use f8 boot menu..all happy.

So I thought, maybe it's which sata port they are plugged in to. nope.

tried every port combination switching...same deal.

So I mounted the efi partition on the 10.11.5 drive, deleted the efi folder.

installed clover fresh, put in test2.efi method

restart.

boom, now I can boot either drive any way I want, from any menu F8, boot override..and it no longer matters which drive is 1st in the boot menu list in the BIOS.

No crashes on boot any more. boots everytime from either efi clover drive.

None of it makes any sense. 

I'm not convinced at all that h4x method is very good. it seems to only work part of the time....

It may be true that something is different with 10.11.4 and greater as the blog states https://nickwoodhams...k-error-update/ ,

but on my system, the test2.efi method works WAY better on 10.11.5.  Boots everytime.

My PCI setup (maybe it makes a difference which slots and how many PCI cards are used..I have no idea)

Slot 1 - Graphics

Slot 3 - firewire card

Slot 4 - MOTU PCI Card

Slot 6 - Thunderbolt Card 

I've been trying the h4x method, sometimes it will boot, sometimes twice in a row! But my last 10 attempts to boot haven't worked at all. Using a MSI x99a raider board.

I only have a r9 280x and a pcie wifi card installed, boot drive I think is on sata 2 but is primary in the bios :/

I could not get it to boot at all last night, this morning first shot i'm booted. There is no physical serial port on my motherboard that I see. No options to disable it if theres some sort of internal connector either unless I'm missing something. Most people seem to be using ASUS boards, maybe this is just a problem with MSI?

c221c737ca3a341bbb117c299e793f5a9d0e30b43a27f275ec8e4aa2dabbfb698489504580c1e372

Hi Guys,

can someone plz tell me what is still needed from the described steps in the first post?

I'm trying to get my x99 system up and running and I'm struggling finding the right config for clover, dsdt patching and nvme installation (asrock x99m extreme4 does not find my samsung sm951).

any help is highly recommended!

What i've done so fare:   Installed 10.11.5 on a sata ssd with latest clover, config with some minor tweaks, kexts working for both lan-ports,  mac-pro 3.1 config without fakecpu-id, dsdt extracted from clover and maciasl with 4.0 acpi (give me one error and some comments - i've fixed the error and added the dsdt to efi/clover/acpi/patched - do i need to put it into the main efi folder as in my last hack with legacy boot?)

does anyone has any idea why my nvme is not recogniced within el capitan but win10 finds it?

I could not get it to boot at all last night, this morning first shot i'm booted. There is no physical serial port on my motherboard that I see. No options to disable it if theres some sort of internal connector either unless I'm missing something. Most people seem to be using ASUS boards, maybe this is just a problem with MSI?

c221c737ca3a341bbb117c299e793f5a9d0e30b43a27f275ec8e4aa2dabbfb698489504580c1e372

That's kind of my experience with h4x method. Randomly decides to boot some of the time. Test2 method works way better..if you can get it working...

A few things you can try.

Consider each of these a separate test.....this is NOT a line by line set of instructions..

Delete the Efi folder, and do a clean instal of latest clover. I recommend trying the test2.efi method right after.

Move your drive to sata1 connection, and disconnect all other hard drives.

Try taking out the wifi card, or moving it to other slots...see how the system responds.

Go in the bios, disable anything not being used..audio, second Ethernet, extra USB ports, extra sata, etc...

Capture all your bios settings, then clear the cmos. See if that effects anything.

Upgrade or rewrite your bios.

Extract X86PlatformPlugin.kext from IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext in S/L/E

Rename it X99PlatformPlugin.kext

Go to Info.plist and change all version numbers to 9.1.1

Go to Resources folder and delete all plists except the one you want to use for frequency vectors

Rename the one remaining plist to Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6.plist if you are using MacPro6,1 as model identifier

sudo cp -R X99PlatformPlugin.kext /Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

Could you be more specific about which version numbers to change to 9.1.1? Attach yours or an example please?

Do we then have to disable the x86platformplugin?

Is there a good way to tell it's actually using the x99platform plug in once booted?

Also,

Why wouldn't we just make these changes the x86platformplugin and put it back in ioplatformpluginfamily?

Thanks so much for your insight!

I have never had a problem with h4x's method after like 20 boot-ups or so using it.  Strange.  I'm sure it comes down to BIOS, manufacturer and how many/what PCIe devices are installed or how resource tables are built etc etc etc.  

YES! Disable Serial Port!  It's always given me issues. 

Just for the record I have a bunch of PCIe stuff going on...

Slot 1 - 980 Ti

Slot 2 (x4) -Wifi/BT Apple card (PCIe adapter)

Slot 3 - 980 Ti

Slot 4 (x2) - Blank

Slot 5 - Blank

Board M.2 Slot - Samsung 950 Pro NVMe

does anyone has any idea why my nvme is not recogniced within el capitan but win10 finds it?

You are using the NVMe kext (NVMeGeneric.kext) from MacVideoCards right?  If so (in my experience) it cannot be in S/L/E but in Clovers injected kexts folder under 10.11 (I also put it in "other" for safe measure)...  After you inject via Clover you shouldn't have a problem getting access via OS X.  My drive isn't "recognized" in BIOS either under the "NVMe Drives" tab or whatever it's called but can easily be used as a boot disk for either OS.  I'm on an Asus Sabertooth X99 TUF and Asrock is an Asus subsidiary correct?  Might be similar BIOS functionality.  Also, make sure you install Samsung's driver in Windows from their support site - it's imperative to extend the life of the drive.  Keep us posted.  

There is no serial port on the Asus x99 deluxe. If you don't see it in the BIOS most likely means you don't have one.

I have never had a problem with h4x's method after like 20 boot-ups or so using it.  Strange.  I'm sure it comes down to BIOS, manufacturer and how many/what PCIe devices are installed or how resource tables are built etc etc etc

Just for the record I have a bunch of PCIe stuff going on...

Slot 1 - 980 Ti

Slot 2 (x4) -Wifi/BT Apple card (PCIe adapter)

Slot 3 - 980 Ti

Slot 4 (x2) - Blank

Slot 5 - Blank

Board M.2 Slot - Samsung 950 Pro NVMe

That's interesting... What device is your Efi clover partition on? A drive on Sata port 1? Or on your 950 pro in the m.2 slot?

There is no serial port on the Asus x99 deluxe. If you don't see it in the BIOS most likely means you don't have one.

That's interesting... What device is your Efi clover partition on? A drive on Sata port 1? Or on your 950 pro in the m.2 slot?

Yeah I use the 950 for Win 10 (where I do all my 3D modeling/rendering and of course, gaming - gotta have those maps load FAST) although I did try OS X on it first just to see if I could do it (it works duh). But yeah, Clover is installed on an reg SSD on like Sata port 3 or 4 under the first Intel Sata Controller.  I don't have any disks on the second sata controller at all. 

When I had a clover boot disk on Sata 5, the h4x method was the only one that would work...but it worked intermittently. But when I have a drive on Sata 1 or 2, test2 method works flawlessly. So maybe that's it...who knows....

You are using the NVMe kext (NVMeGeneric.kext) from MacVideoCards right?  If so (in my experience) it cannot be in S/L/E but in Clovers injected kexts folder under 10.11 (I also put it in "other" for safe measure)...  After you inject via Clover you shouldn't have a problem getting access via OS X.  My drive isn't "recognized" in BIOS either under the "NVMe Drives" tab or whatever it's called but can easily be used as a boot disk for either OS.  I'm on an Asus Sabertooth X99 TUF and Asrock is an Asus subsidiary correct?  Might be similar BIOS functionality.  Also, make sure you install Samsung's driver in Windows from their support site - it's imperative to extend the life of the drive.  Keep us posted.  

yes with the nvmegeneric.kext added to clovers kext folder i see the sm951 nvme as external ssd readable etc. i will add my dsdt, kexts, config to my usb installer and will try to reinstall el capitan to the nvme ssd on thursday as soon as  i'm back home. i will keep you updated.

another question, can someone help me with my dsdt? i dont know what to rename etc. as there is no instruction around for my asrock x99m extreme4.