El Capitan on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

Cyberdevs

769 posts in this topic

A small news: Gigabyte seem to be looking into the issue of duplicated boot entries. Or at least trying their best with it. They have asked me to check back with them in 1 week time. i.e. to see if any further progess / news about it.

That' good news dreamcat4 :)

A small news: Gigabyte seem to be looking into the issue of duplicated boot entries. Or at least trying their best with it. They have asked me to check back with them in 1 week time. i.e. to see if any further progess / news about it.

This is awesome news, kinda tired of removing those entries manually. I heard they can brick the mobo, is there any experience with that? If it happens is there any ways to get clear the brick?

Now that i have been using my system for a while, i'm starting to miss (it was never there, but didn't bother me so much back in the beginning) the ability see rpm of my cpufan and the fans on the gtx970, is there any way to get those reporting in macos? they work fine in windows.

Also if anyone else gets this issue: my sound is coming out on the black rear speakers output rather than headphone green, this is no issue except in windows its on headphones, so i had to set a jumper config in regedit to get the sound out of black rear speaker in windows.

Going to have to look into why my machine reboots on shutdown (it shuts down but then boots up again) in mac os. but haven't had time.

Finally not a motherboard specific thing, but clock in either windows or macos will always deviate a few hours for me, if you get this issue: http://lifehacker.com/5742148/fix-windows-clock-issues-when-dual-booting-with-os-xfixes it.

This is awesome news, kinda tired of removing those entries manually. I heard they can brick the mobo, is there any experience with that? If it happens is there any ways to get clear the brick?

Now that i have been using my system for a while, i'm starting to miss (it was never there, but didn't bother me so much back in the beginning) the ability see rpm of my cpufan and the fans on the gtx970, is there any way to get those reporting in macos? they work fine in windows.

Also if anyone else gets this issue: my sound is coming out on the black rear speakers output rather than headphone green, this is no issue except in windows its on headphones, so i had to set a jumper config in regedit to get the sound out of black rear speaker in windows.

Going to have to look into why my machine reboots on shutdown (it shuts down but then boots up again) in mac os. but haven't had time.

Finally not a motherboard specific thing, but clock in either windows or macos will always deviate a few hours for me, if you get this issue: http://lifehacker.com/5742148/fix-windows-clock-issues-when-dual-booting-with-os-xfixes it.

Use FixShutdown under ACPI to fix your shutdown issue.

And I found an easier way to remove all the entries from UEFI bios with clover shell, I earlier posted a way to remove the entries with UEFI Shell command prompt and I said you need to remove the entries from the last entry to first. For example if you have 10 entries you could remove them like this:

Shell> bcfg boot rm 09

Shell> bcfg boot rm 08

Shell> bcfg boot rm 07

and so forth then you can remove the latest entry like this:

Shell> bcfg boot rm 00

BUT in the new way I just remove the from the first value but I repeat the commond until the are no more entries to remove, so it will be like this:

Shell> bcfg boot rm 00

Shell> bcfg boot rm 00

Shell> bcfg boot rm 00

and so forth till there are no more entries to remove.

Until we hear a final solution from gigabyte guys which dreamcat4 is in contact with.

• Like 1

And I found an easier way to remove all the entries from UEFI bios with clover shell, I earlier posted a way to remove the entries with UEFI Shell command prompt and I said you need to remove the entries from the last entry to first. For example if you have 10 entries you could remove them like this:

Shell> bcfg boot rm 09

Shell> bcfg boot rm 08

Shell> bcfg boot rm 07

and so forth then you can remove the latest entry like this:

Shell> bcfg boot rm 00

BUT in the new way I just remove the from the first value but I repeat the commond until the are no more entries to remove, so it will be like this:

Shell> bcfg boot rm 00

Shell> bcfg boot rm 00

Shell> bcfg boot rm 00

and so forth till there are no more entries to remove.

Until we hear a final solution from gigabyte guys which dreamcat4 is in contact with.

Will that not mess up my ability to boot to windows? or does clover rediscover the boot partitions? i have always been removing everything except one boot entry on my macos disk and one on my windows disk

Will that not mess up my ability to boot to windows? or does clover rediscover the boot partitions? i have always been removing everything except one boot entry on my macos disk and one on my windows disk

yeah it might do from easyUEFI tool. Not really sure about from clover console.

Use FixShutdown under ACPI to fix your shutdown issue.

Hi,

Gaming 5 here, with Nvidia 950 2GB, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe and 64GB ram. No OC. Everything is working fine but no shutdown. Even if I'm using FixShutdown in ACPI section con config.plist. 

Any ideas!? 

I have no wake on lan. And I use the last version of IntelMausiEthernet kext . 

do you mean in the ACPI section of CLOVER config? None... 

Hi there, :)

There's been some sort of confusion on my replies, first of all I posted the solution for fixing kenmadsen's shutdown problem but somewhere in those post I replied to your post. So I'm editing my post:

You can boot in verbose and see what happens while your system boots up and why it's taking too long. Under Boot section check Verbose (-v) and see what's going on.

I believe the is a diver for NVMe devices which might help speeding up the boot process, not sure about that one! but worths a shot.

Hi there, :)

There's been some sort of confusion on my replies, first of all I posted the solution for fixing kenmadsen's shutdown problem but somewhere in those post I replied to your post. So I'm editing my post:

You can boot in verbose and see what happens while your system boots up and why it's taking too long. Under Boot section check Verbose (-v) and see what's going on.

I believe the is a diver for NVMe devices which might help speeding up the boot process, not sure about that one! but worths a shot.

oh no... you 're confusing me with someone else ... my system boots fast as hell with NVMe ... the only problem I was not able to fix is the shutdown ... 

oh no... you 're confusing me with someone else ... my system boots fast as hell with NVMe ... the only problem I was not able to fix is the shutdown ... 

Sorry, my bad.

Have you installed nVidia web drivers?

I've had some problems in the past with nVidia graphic adapters and system refusing to shutdown or waking up from shutdown like it was restarting, make sure under Kernel and Kext Patches  these patches are selected, 1. AppleRTC and 2. ASUS AICPUPM and you might wanna use NullCPUPowermanagement.kext it might help. Find the latest version of it and place it under EFI\EFI\CLOVER\kext\10.11

and see how it goes.

Sorry, my bad.

Have you installed nVidia web drivers?

I've had some problems in the past with nVidia graphic adapters and system refusing to shutdown or waking up from shutdown like it was restarting, make sure under Kernel and Kext Patches  these patches are selected, 1. AppleRTC and 2. ASUS AICPUPM and you might wanna use NullCPUPowermanagement.kext it might help. Find the latest version of it and place it under EFI\EFI\CLOVER\kext\10.11

and see how it goes.

No worry! 

Yes, I had nVidia web drivers installed and, even if the Nvidia Manager tells me OSX default drivers are loaded, making a grep on loaded Kexts I can see Nvidia Web drivers are correctly loaded. And it cannot be otherwise. I put 1. Apple RTC and 2. ASUS AICPUMP flags in Clover but nothing changed. Indeed FixShutDown is still in place. I don't want to use NullCPUPowermanagement.kext because at the moment  PM is working great. I have an unlocked BIOS and everything is going fine: sleep/wake up, C-states, P-states, audio after sleep, so ... I would not change PM at the moment. 

No worry! 

Yes, I had nVidia web drivers installed and, even if the Nvidia Manager tells me OSX default drivers are loaded, making a grep on loaded Kexts I can see Nvidia Web drivers are correctly loaded. And it cannot be otherwise. I put 1. Apple RTC and 2. ASUS AICPUMP flags in Clover but nothing changed. Indeed FixShutDown is still in place. I don't want to use NullCPUPowermanagement.kext because at the moment  PM is working great. I have an unlocked BIOS and everything is going fine: sleep/wake up, C-states, P-states, audio after sleep, so ... I would not change PM at the moment. 

Well, fair enough.

Maybe if you use AppleIntelE1000e.kext instead of IntelNausiEthernet.kext and double checking your BIOS power management will help.

And please give me more info of your syndromes while shutting down. What exactly happens?

Well, fair enough.

Maybe if you use AppleIntelE1000e.kext instead of IntelNausiEthernet.kext and double checking your BIOS power management will help.

And please give me more info of your syndromes while shutting down. What exactly happens?

I will give a try to AppleIntelE1000e.kext but I've already tried with the other NIC present on Gaming-5 and nothing changed. I have the suspect that the culprit is in discrete graphic card. Not because GA GFX 950 has something wrong (I also tried an ASUS GFX 950 and a Zotac GFX 950, both with the same behaviour) but because the 17,1 Sysdef is for AMD and this can cause some trouble of some kind, but I don't want to leave it because it's the only Skylake platform available. 

The syndromes are pretty simple: when I click Shutdown sometimes the screen becomes half transparent/grey than the round wheel appears and it shutdown properly, some other times (most of the times!) the screen becomes half transparent/grey ... the round wheel does NOT appear, I can hear the graphics card fan goes very up very high in noise, and after 2/3 seconds I have the GIGABYTE post screen and then I know system has restarted. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jikup6uv80csrvs/Power%20Management_%5B15-28-04%5D.jpg?dl=0

Please note that I tried with Platform Power Mngmt ON and OFF and nothing changed. 

I will give a try to AppleIntelE1000e.kext but I've already tried with the other NIC present on Gaming-5 and nothing changed. I have the suspect that the culprit is in discrete graphic card. Not because GA GFX 950 has something wrong (I also tried an ASUS GFX 950 and a Zotac GFX 950, both with the same behaviour) but because the 17,1 Sysdef is for AMD and this can cause some trouble of some kind, but I don't want to leave it because it's the only Skylake platform available. 

The syndromes are pretty simple: when I click Shutdown sometimes the screen becomes half transparent/grey than the round wheel appears and it shutdown properly, some other times (most of the times!) the screen becomes half transparent/grey ... the round wheel does NOT appear, I can hear the graphics card fan goes very up very high in noise, and after 2/3 seconds I have the GIGABYTE post screen and then I know system has restarted. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jikup6uv80csrvs/Power%20Management_%5B15-28-04%5D.jpg?dl=0

Please note that I tried with Platform Power Mngmt ON and OFF and nothing changed. 

Here is my power management setting in BIOS. I'm on Gigabyte beta F5h

post-1011040-0-02633100-1458403146_thumb.jpg

Here is my power management setting in BIOS. I'm on Gigabyte beta F5h

Same as yours, apart from RC6 standby which is not present, maybe because I have F5 non beta, but still no proper shutdown...

Hello,

I upgraded to 10.11.4, started well but in the end the screen goes black

I believe you have to do all the things you did for avoiding the black screen after each Mac OS update once again.

@cyberdevs and others: Just wanted to let you guys know that I upgraded to a 6600K CPU and Corsair H100i GTX. Successfully running the CPU at 4.4GHz on El Capitan. The switch proved costly, but I hope it will be worth it in the long run. 

Holding off updating to OS X 10.11.4 until you guys confirm its working fine for you

@cyberdevs and others: Just wanted to let you guys know that I upgraded to a 6600K CPU and Corsair H100i GTX. Successfully running the CPU at 4.4GHz on El Capitan. The switch proved costly, but I hope it will be worth it in the long run. 

Holding off updating to OS X 10.11.4 until you guys confirm its working fine for you

Hi Raj,

Good news! Congrats man :)

I hope you get the performance that you are looking for!

About the 10.11.4 update i haven't updated my OS yet and I'm afraid I won't be able to get to it right away but as far as I know it finally has the initial support for Skylake processors so no more patches needed for getting it to work on Skylake platforms.

To answer the Dreamwork's question I'm not sure if they updated Intel HD Graphics support or not but here is the details of the 10.11.4 update from Apple's website:

OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 Update

The OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all OS X El Capitan users.

This update:

• Adds the ability to passcode-protect notes containing personal data in Notes

• Adds the ability to sort notes alphabetically, by date created, or date modified in Notes

• Adds the ability to import Evernote files into Notes

• Adds support for sharing Live Photos between iOS and OS X via AirDrop and Messages

• Addresses an issue that may cause RAW images to open slowly in Photos

• Adds the ability for iBooks to store PDFs in iCloud, making them available across all your devices

• Fixes an issue that prevented loading Twitter t.co links in Safari

• Prevents JavaScript dialogs from blocking access to other webpages in Safari

• Fixes an issue that prevented the VIPs mailbox from working with Gmail accounts

• Fixes an issue that caused USB audio devices to disconnect

• Improves the compatibility and reliability of Apple USB-C Multiport Adapters

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1869?locale=en_US

OK but what did you mean cyberdevs by this earlier comment?

I believe you have to do all the things you did for avoiding the black screen after each Mac OS update once again.

Or was it something only about the Nvidia graphics, I dont have? :)

Many thanks

OK but what did you mean cyberdevs by this earlier comment?

Or was it something only about the Nvidia graphics, I dont have? :)

Many thanks 

Hi dreamcat,

What I meant is that gorki needs to re-patch his AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext under the Plugins folder inside AppleGraphicsControl.kext and change the default value of the default graphic controller form Config2 to none in order to fix his black screen problem.

And also the is another update for nVidia Graphic adapters which nVidia users might wanna install for new 10.11.4 update.

You don't need to worry about that neither anyone else who does't use the nVidia graphic adapter :)