[GUIDE] MSI H81M Motherboards - Basics of a Computer Build - Budget Hackintosh Builds - UEFI Dualboot - OS X El Capitan WIP*

152 posts in this topic

rc3KeZm.png
Note: Users who are installing OS X Yosemite or earlier versions of OS X do not need to read this section!

So what is this System Integrity Protection (SIP) that Apple is implementing in OS X El Capitan and future versions of OS X? To simplify this as much as possible, basically Apple will restrict users from modifying the System folder, bin folder, usr folder, and sbin folder. Some of these folders are already hidden by default. 

Apple's attempt of locking down the system from being modified by hackers, viruses, trojans, and so on isn't bad at all. In fact, who doesn't want to use a computer thats really secured? 

There is a problem, and that problem is the Hackintosh. How does System Integrity Protection (SIP) affect the Hackintosh? 

This affects kernel extensions, also known as kexts for short. 

As you well know, kexts play a big role in a Hackintosh. Kexts enable all sorts of stuff like power management, graphics, and audio. The most important and well known kext, FakeSMC, allows OS X to boot on PCs. In OS X Yosemite and earlier versions of OS X, all you had to do was to use Kext Utility or some other kext installer to install kexts to /System/Library/Extensions. Or if you didn't want to do that, you could have installed them in the Clover kext folders. With Clover, you could have also patched kexts on-the-fly without ever replacing an existing kext.

The good news is that the development team behind Clover have successfully found a way to allow kext injection from the CLOVER/kexts/ folder for OS X El Capitan. So if Clover can inject kexts again, what's the problem?

Starting from Clover version r3253, we have some new values to play with in Clover's plist file. Remember, to take advantage of these new features, you must upgrade your Clover bootloader to version r3253 or higher. If this portion of the code isn't there as shown below, then it must be added manually by editing the plist file. However, these values can also be set using the newest version of Clover Configurator in the RtVariables section.

<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x67</string>
<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
</dict> 

uBKrYFZ.png
If you are using Clover Configurator, in the RT Variables section, we have two new keys, CsrActiveConfig and BooterConfig. For now, do not worry about BooterConfig, just accept that it has to be set to 0x28. 

Remember the rootless=0 flag? If not, it used to disable SIP and allow unsigned kexts in OS X El Capitan but it's useless now so there's no point in enabling that. We must move forward and use CsrActiveConfig to allow access.

CsrActiveConfig has a value set to 0x67. What does that mean? This value disables SIP and allows the user to install kexts in the /System/Library/Extensions and /Library/Extensions folder without problems.

If you want to know what is happening behind the scenes, this is what happens:

1. Setting CsrConfig to value 0x67

1 CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS 
1 CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS
1 CSR_ALLOW_TASK_FOR_PID
0 CSR_ALLOW_KERNEL_DEBUGGER
0 CSR_ALLOW_APPLE_INTERNA
1 CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_DTRACE1
1 CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_NVRAM

Well what does that all mean? Remember that a 1 enables that option and 0 disables that option. There are some options here that we will ignore since they don't have a significant impact. These are the important options to look at:

CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS

• Allows OS X to use unsigned kexts.

CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS

• Allows the user to manipulate the file system.

That should clear things up. Let's look at another configuration.

2. Setting CsrConfig to value 0x03

1 CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS 
1 CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS
0 CSR_ALLOW_TASK_FOR_PID
0 CSR_ALLOW_KERNEL_DEBUGGER
0 CSR_ALLOW_APPLE_INTERNA
0 CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_DTRACE1 
0 CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_NVRAM

It seems that unsigned kexts are enabled as well as access to the file system. Isn't that what you need in order to have a working Hackintosh? The answer is YES!

So basically wouldn't it be better to use 0x03 instead of 0x67? Again, you are correct! Now, the reason why the default setting is 0x67 is to make sure that you are able to install OS X and run OS X with no problems. We want to install OS X and configure it as quickly as possible. 

After installation, and after you have installed Clover, you can change CsrActiveConfig to have a value of 0x03. Everything will still work. Notice that we are incrementing the security of our Hackintosh.

Let's look at another configuration.

3. Setting CsrConfig to value 0x01

1 CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS 
0 CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS
0 CSR_ALLOW_TASK_FOR_PID

We still have unsigned kexts working but we now have restricted the file system. Be careful with this setting. This configuration basically prevents you from installing kexts since you do not have access to the file system.

However, if you have installed all of the kexts you need to have a working system and the kext cache has been rebuilt to include those kexts, then you can use this configuration. The hassle with this option is that you need to enable 0x03 again if Apple has replaced a patched native kext during an update, like AppleHDA, and then you would have to change it back to 0x01 after you patched it again. Of course if the patches are injected by Clover, then you don't have to worry about anything as the cache gets patched, not the kext itself. If security is very important to you, then this option will probably be the best for you.

What about this configuration?

4. Setting CsrConfig to value 0x00

0 CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS 
0 CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS
0 CSR_ALLOW_TASK_FOR_PID

Clearly you're the ultimate Hackintosher if you use this one!   :gun: But seriously, this is also a good option. This basically enables SIP to its fullest potential. The way you use this option is when you have completely working system. Do not use this option if you are going to update OS X. Only use this configuration when you won't need to manipulate any kexts or the file system or do any OS X update (software updates likes iTunes or security updates are okay). What's the benefit? You will have a secured hackintosh.

Now that you get an idea of the different configurations for CSR, how do you install a kext?

The same way you do now! Install the kexts in S/L/E or /L/E and use Kext Utility to rebuild cache and permissions! Else any kexts that are independent can go in CLOVER/kexts/10.x.

After that, you decide what SIP configuration you want!

MElIPFF.png

Everyone in the Hackintosh scene knows who Intel is right? If not, then they are a company who makes processors for computers. You may have seen Intel stickers on various desktop and laptop computers as well as Intel products online and in electronic stores. For Hackintosh users, Intel processors are the only processors to consider as they are currently used on all Apple Mac products. 

So if Apple uses Intel processors, does it mean that OS X will work on any Intel processor? Theoretically yes, but in practice it can be a huge pain in the butt.

The main problem that people can run into when a Hackintosh computer is using an unsupported processor is an instant reboot. An unsupported processor is basically an Intel processor that was never used on an Apple Mac computer. For example, Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron processors have never been used on Apple's Mac product lineup.

Does it mean that you cannot use an Intel Celeron or an Intel Pentium processor? Well no, in fact, with a little bit of tweaking in Clover's settings, we can make these processors work! Basically what happens is that by injecting a certain value using Clover, we can fool OS X into thinking that is a typical normal processor that is compatible with OS X. Using Clover Configurator, in the Kernel and Kexts Patches section we have a box called FakeCPUID.

QHbWk6X.png

The FakeCPUID box is used to set a processor value. So what values go in there? Good question. The chart below should help.

WruV0Q1.png

The values that go in the FakeCPUID box are on the CPUID column. Okay, so then how does one determine what value to choose for an unsupported processor? Unfortunately, this is a trial and error situation. Luckily for many people, by doing a google search or asking around in the forums, you will find the answer. 

Example 1) Suppose that for some unknown reason you want to use an Intel® Pentium G3258 processor. How do you make it work?

• First of all, we know that this processor was never used in any Mac computer.
  • Have we searched on Google or asked around in the forums?
  • Do we even know which OS X version this processor supports?
  • What SMBIOS should we use?

Solution 1) By doing a little google research I have found that setting FakeCPUID to value 0x0306A0 or 0x0106E0 will make it work. That doesn't seem hard does it? There's a catch but this will be explained later.

We also see that this unsupported processor is based on the Haswell architecture.

:excl: NOTE: It is highly recommended that you use OS X Yosemite or later releases of OS X if you are planning to use unsupported processors. This solves a lot of issues. For example, OS X Yosemite has support for Haswell architecture while OS X Mountain Lion gained support for Ivy Bridge architecture. It doesn't make sense to use an architecture that was not supported on an older release of OS X. However, if you use the latest releases of OS X, then you are guaranteed that your unsupported processor will work, well with some tweaks of course.

So now you have to set FakeCPUID to one of those two values. Type it in or copy and paste it, your choice.

m64cM1c.png

As for what SMBIOS you should use, you will have to research on that. In the case of the Intel® Pentium G3258 processor, since we are using an Ivy Bridge CPUID, it fits well with an SMBIOS emulating an Ivy Bridge based Mac like the MacMini6,2 or iMac13,1 or iMac13,2. 

Okay this is great and all but if I can't boot my Hackintosh in the first place, how am I suppose to do these steps? Good question. You can use an OS X virtual machine or an existing Mac. Normally when you make an OS X USB installer, you would have to have access to OS X regardless. Then using Clover Configurator, you can open the Clover.plist file inside the OS X USB drive and make the necessary changes.

Example 2) Suppose that you finally were able to boot OS X with that unsupported processor and you did whatever you needed to do with it. You realized that there is no graphics acceleration, or that your screen resolution is messed up. What do you do?

Solution 2) This is basically the catch. Even though you may have successfully booted OS X, you will not get graphics acceleration or correct screen resolution on unsupported processors. This is very problematic on Hackintosh laptops since you cannot change the processor or add an external graphics card. However, for desktop computers, this is not a big problem. 

In order to get graphics acceleration using an unsupported Intel processor on a Hackintosh desktop is to buy a compatible dedicated graphics card. Once you install the graphics card on your Hackintosh, then you'll have a working Hackintosh system even if the Intel processor you chose isn't supported!

Even though you can get around this issue, is it worth it? Should you instead just save money and buy a compatible Intel processor? This depends on you.

You see, every person has his or her needs. Sometimes individuals can be in a tight financial budget but they need a Hackintosh for some unknown reason. The best decision is to save money until you are able to buy a compatible Intel processor. It takes the least amount of effort and you know that it will work. However, if you don't mind the extra hassle, then go for it! Always do some research before making a decision!

So if I buy a compatible Intel processor, is it guaranteed I won't run into a problem? Unfortunately you can run into problems, but it is easier to solve. Let's take a look at all compatible processors for OS X:

1st Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Westmere Architecture

• Intel® Core™ i3
  • Intel® Core™ i5
  • Intel® Core™ i7

*Certain processor models contain Intel® HD Graphics. All processor models will not have graphics acceleration on OS X (Applies to desktop processor models only. Not to be confused with laptop processor models). 

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Sandy Bridge Architecture

• Intel® Core™ i3
  • Intel® Core™ i5
  • Intel® Core™ i7

*Certain processor models contain Intel® HD Graphics 3000 or Intel® HD Graphics 2000 integrated graphics. Processor models containing Intel® HD Graphics 2000 will not have graphics acceleration on OS X. 

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Ivy Bridge Architecture

• Intel® Core™ i3
  • Intel® Core™ i5
  • Intel® Core™ i7

*Certain processor models contain Intel® HD Graphics 4000 or Intel® HD Graphics 2500 integrated graphics. Processor models containing Intel® HD Graphics 2500 will not have graphics acceleration on OS X. 

4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Haswell Architecture

• Intel® Core™ i3
  • Intel® Core™ i5
  • Intel® Core™ i7

*Certain processor models contain Intel® HD Graphics 4400 or Intel® HD Graphics 4600 integrated graphics.

5th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Broadwell Architecture

• Intel® Core™ i5
  • Intel® Core™ i7

*All processor models contain Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 6200 integrated graphics.

6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Skylake Architecture

• No information available. Apple has not released any Mac with this processor architecture.

7th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Kaby Lake Architecture

• No information available. Apple has not released any Mac with this processor architecture.

As you can see, there are a lot of compatible processors to use on a Hackintosh. Some of these processors have compatible integrated graphics which eliminates the need to buy a separate dedicated graphics card. If you are looking for a compatible processor for your Hackintosh, these questions arise:

• Which architecture should I buy?
  • Should I buy a processor with compatible integrated graphics?
  • Should I buy an Intel® Core™ i3, i5, or i7?
  • What version of OS X will this compatible processor support?
  • What SMBIOS should I use with a compatible processor?

Let's answer these 3 questions.

Question 1) Which architecture should I buy?

Solution 1) This depends on the motherboard CPU socket. The motherboard you bought determines what CPU is compatible for your Hackintosh. Remember that higher generation Intel® Core™ processors are usually faster and give better performance due to their architecture.

Question 2) Should I buy a processor with compatible integrated graphics?

Solution 2) This depends on you. If you want to build a Hackintosh but don't want to buy a dedicated graphics card, then a processor with a compatible integrated graphics is recommended. You will have graphics acceleration once you have configured OS X. If you want to build a Hackintosh and you plan on using a dedicated graphics card, then any compatible processor will work for you. It is recommended to buy a compatible processor with compatible integrated graphics because its gives the ability to use multiple displays and helps in certain situations where your dedicated graphics card might fail but doesn't prevent you from using OS X.

Question 3) Should I buy an Intel® Core™ i3, i5, or i7?

Solution 3) This depends on your computing needs. This should help break down the difference:

Intel® Core™ i3

• Great for typical everyday tasks. 
  • Good for average gaming.
  • Good for typical photo and video editing.
  • Can cause compute intense applications to bottleneck. Bottleneck means that the CPU has reached its limit and applications cannot perform to their maximum potential. Can cause low FPS (frames per second) on some games.

Intel® Core™ i5

• Typical tasks are handled with no problem.
  • Better for high end gaming.
  • Better for complex photo and video manipulation/editing. 

Intel® Core™ i7

• Best performance for high end gaming.
  • Best performance for rendering, encoding, decoding videos.
  • Best performance for complex photo and video manipulation/editing.
  • Best performance for graphics animations and game building.

Remember that these comparisons are based off of computing needs, not graphics performance. 

If graphics performance is important to you, then the integrated graphics included on some compatible Intel® Core™ processors will disappoint you. Integrated graphics are good for non intensive graphics applications. If you try to play high end games with integrated graphics, performance will be very low as these are not designed for that. This requires the need for a dedicated graphics card.

Question 4) What version of OS X will this processor support?

Solution 4) To make your life so much easier, use OS X Yosemite or later releases. Don't question it, just embrace it.

Question 5) What SMBIOS should I use with a compatible processor?

Solution 5) Again research is key. For example, if we are using a compatible Haswell processor, we can see that the iMac14,1 and iMac14,2 fit this criteria because these models used Haswell processors. Similarly if we wanted to use a compatible Ivy Bridge processor, then the iMac13,1 and iMac13,2 fit this criteria because theses models used Ivy Bridge processors and so on.

Let's take a look at compatible integrated graphics processing units (IGPUs) from the Intel® Core™ processor family. Remember, only compatible IGPUs will be listed.

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Sandy Bridge Architecture

• Intel® HD Graphics 3000

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Ivy Bridge Architecture

• Intel® HD Graphics 4000

4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Haswell Architecture

• Intel® HD Graphics 4400
  • Intel® HD Graphics 4600

5th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Broadwell Architecture

• Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 6200

6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Skylake Architecture

7th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors based on Kaby Lake Architecture

Let's investigate all these compatible IGPUs in more detail and see how to make them work on OS X.

1. Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Apple started supporting the Intel® HD Graphics 3000 IGPU with the release of OS X Lion. I did not like OS X Lion. Anyways, this IGPU works best on OS X Yosemite or later.

Since we are using Clover Bootloader, the team behind Clover did not implement a direct way to enable the Intel® HD Graphics 3000 IGPU. Problem?  :unsure:

No problem.  ^_^

Let's open up Clover Configurator. We are interested in the Devices section.

EazDrjw.png

In order fix this problem, we are going to add some properties. We need this information first to get started:

1) Device

2) Key

3) Value

4) Value Type

Click on the "+" button at the bottom of the Add Properties box. Follow the instructions below.

1) Device

In the Device box, type in:

IntelGFX

2) Key

In the Key box, type in:

AAPL,snb-platform-id

3) Value

In the Value box, type in:

4) Value Type

In the Value Type box, select "data".

Now, we will need to fake the ID of the Intel® HD Graphics 3000 IGPU. In the same Devices section, there is a Fake ID area. We are only interested in the IntelGFX box.

In the IntelGFX box, type:

0x01268086

In the end, you should have something like this:

TKQnFgq.png

We are almost done. All that's left is to go to the Graphics section and enable "Inject Intel".

CvkowDB.png

As for the SMBIOS to use, you could use MacPro3,1 or MacMini5,1 as a test since these use Sandy Bridge processors. Otherwise use an SMBIOS that similarly matches your Hackintosh (i.e. MacPro3,1). That's it for enabling QE/CI (graphics acceleration) for Intel® HD Graphics 3000 on the desktop!

​*Video ports enabled using this method are DP, DVI, and HDMI. Multiple monitor support using only the IGPU might not work with this method. Framebuffer edits may be required to enable multiple monitor support or to enable custom video ports using only the IGPU. The built-in VGA ports on motherboards are not supported on OS X.

*Credit to RehabMan and Toleda.

2. Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Apple started supporting the Intel® HD Graphics 4000 IGPU with the release of OS X Mountain Lion. OS X Mountain Lion is like Windows XP in the Mac world. Excellent release, but we have to move on. Anyways, this IGPU works best on OS X Yosemite or later.

Compared to the method used by the Intel® HD Graphics 3000 IGPU, enabling this IGPU is easier. 

Let's open Clover Configurator and go to the Graphics section.

ceR2eKc.png

In the ig-platform-id box, type in:

0x0166000A

Next, enable "Inject Intel". You should now have something like this:

JQ4AbI6.png

As for the SMBIOS, select a model that uses an Ivy Bridge processor. Otherwise use an SMBIOS that similarly matches your Hackintosh (i.e. MacPro3,1).

That's it for enabling QE/CI (graphics acceleration) for Intel® HD Graphics 4000 on the desktop!

*Video ports enabled using this method are DP, DVI, and HDMI. Multiple monitor support using only the IGPU might not work with this method. Framebuffer edits may be required to enable multiple monitor support or to enable custom video ports using only the IGPU. The built-in VGA ports on motherboards are not supported on OS X.

*Credit to RehabMan and Toleda.

3. Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Well this is an interesting one. From what we know, Apple never used Intel® HD Graphics 4400 on there Mac computers. That's right, Apple has won the war on the Hackintosh and has left Hackintoshes with the Intel® HD Graphics 4400 IGPU out in the cold.  :cry:

...well this is true if you somehow ended up having a Hackintosh with Intel® HD Graphics 2000 or Intel® HD Graphics 2500. If you are one of them, I hope that you have found a solution to this.

But jokes aside, the good news is that Intel® HD Graphics 4400 is supported! I think this was kind of obvious.  :P Anyways, this IGPU works best on OS X Yosemite or later.

The question is, how do we do this?

Well, we will need 2 kexts from RehabMan. We will need "FakePCIID.kext" and "FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext". You can get them from the link here: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads. Just download the latest version and extract the ZIP archive file. These are the 2 kexts you will be working with:

8glMurP.png

These kext files will go to Clover's kext folder. You may need to mount the EFI partition to gain access to the Clover folder. Once you are inside the Clover folder, go to Kexts and open the folder corresponding to the version of OS X you are using (For example, if you are using OS X Yosemite, then Clover will load kexts inside the 10.10 folder and so on). Drag or copy the two kexts into the corresponding folder.

jLU7qGo.png

Now, we can open Clover Configurator. We will need to fake the ID of the Intel® HD Graphics 4400 IGPU. Go to the Devices section and you will see that there is a Fake ID area. We are only interested in the IntelGFX box.

In the IntelGFX box, type in:

0x04128086

You should now have something like this:

BNCAPqH.png

Now, go to the Graphics section. In the ig-platform-id box, type in:

0x0D220003

GzRE7nd.png

As for the SMBIOS, select a model that uses a Haswell processor. Otherwise use an SMBIOS that similarly matches your Hackintosh (i.e. MacPro3,1).

That's it for enabling QE/CI (graphics acceleration) for Intel® HD Graphics 4400 on the desktop!

*Video ports enabled using this method are DP, DVI, and HDMI. Multiple monitor support using only the IGPU might not work with this method. Framebuffer edits may be required to enable multiple monitor support or to enable custom video ports using only the IGPU. The built-in VGA ports on motherboards are not supported on OS X.

4. Intel® HD Graphics 4600

Do I smell another IGPU that was not used on any Mac computer? Yes, indeed. Apple again has defeated us. It's over.  :cry:

...eh not quite. But the war isn't over yet, it is just the beginning!  :boxing:

Anyways, this IGPU works best on OS X Yosemite or later. Let's go to work!

Let's open Clover Configurator and go to the Graphics section.

ceR2eKc.png

0x0D220003

GzRE7nd.png

As for the SMBIOS, select a model that uses a Haswell processor. Otherwise use an SMBIOS that similarly matches your Hackintosh (i.e. MacPro3,1).

That's it for enabling QE/CI (graphics acceleration) for Intel® HD Graphics 4600 on the desktop! (I'm not joking, that's all you have to do!  :rofl:

5. Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 6200

Apple started supporting the Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 6200 IGPU with the release of OS X El Capitan. Only the 21.5 inch Retina 4K iMac (Late 2015) uses this IGPU. Intel has also released desktop processors containing this IGPU but the truth is, it's very rare to hear a Hackintosh having a Broadwell CPU. 

Aside from that, this IGPU works best on OS X El Capitan or later.

Open Clover Configurator and go to the Graphics section.

ceR2eKc.png

0x02002216

DHaGZzh.png

As for the SMBIOS, select a model that uses a Broadwell processor (i.e. iMac16,2). Otherwise use an SMBIOS that similarly matches your Hackintosh (i.e. MacPro3,1).

That's it for enabling QE/CI (graphics acceleration) for Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 6200 on the desktop!

That's it for this section! Always remember to research before buying. This will make your life so much easier when building or using Hackintoshes. By researching, you also gain information on what to do if you plan on using certain hardware!  :happymac:

nb6vxd5.png

So what is the DSDT? The DSDT (Differentiated System Description Table) is a table that is part of the ACPI (Advanced Configuration Power Interface) specification. Basically it contains information about hardware and power events. The problem with DSDTs is that they are either incomplete or problematic for OS X. Those are the reasons why many people patch their DSDTs so that OS X can function properly with their PC hardware.

For this guide, I will be talking about how to compile your DSDT so that you can have it ready if you ever want to add patches in the future. For any other hardware, you will need to search the InsanelyMac forums for more information.
:moil: Yeah, eventually I'll finish this part lol

Edited by GhostRaider
  • Like 9

Perfect! 

Your guides are always very good, congratulations for their dedication and hard work!  :D

Thank you!  :)  I just like helping people out so that maybe most of their questions get answered in the guide. That's why they are kind of long lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just installed 10.10 on my H81M-E33 and for the life of me I can't get the audio to install. When I try to use the command it tells me to enter a chipset and when I put in 887 it says "ALC887 v_ not supported" and asks me to use the legacy patch. I tried that and it never worked.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed 10.10 on my H81M-E33 and for the life of me I can't get the audio to install. When I try to use the command it tells me to enter a chipset and when I put in 887 it says "ALC887 v_ not supported" and asks me to use the legacy patch. I tried that and it never worked.

Thanks!

Sorry for the long delay, but did you end up fixing it or you still have this issue?

Still having it, couldn't figure out what the problem was.

What codec do you have then? Windows should clearly say which one you have if you have it installed. Not sure if DPCIManager on OS X would say which one you have.

a very detailed description, very good job! :)

I'm always trying to get complicated and weird information to something easier for an average user to understand  :)

Bad choice to select UEFI and ESP on Clover OS X El Capitan  :)

thats not the same as the original Clover Installer, select only one of this clover option

if you want ESP , just select  this option  ;)

Bad choice to select UEFI and ESP on Clover OS X El Capitan  :)

thats not the same as the original Clover Installer, select only one of this clover option

if you want ESP , just select  this option  ;)

I was somewhat confused about this because if you only select UEFI it still creates an EFI partition. I would assume that it would put the EFI files with the OS X installer files. There isn't a difference whether you select UEFI or ESP unless this is by design.

I was somewhat confused about this because if you only select UEFI it still creates an EFI partition. I would assume that it would put the EFI files with the OS X installer files. There isn't a difference whether you select UEFI or ESP unless this is by design.

This is  big difference UEFI or ESP  

UEFI Install only Clover on EFI Partition, no boot file on USB Drive

ESP Install Clover on EFI Partition but also boot file on USB drive  :)

Select only one Clover choice and this Installer do the job 

thanks for your great Tutorial! 

• Like 1

Thank you the for well written, easy to follow guide.

I also have the MSI H81M-E34. And I'm using an i3 with HD 4600 graphics - no graphics card.

This is my first attempt at an Hackintosh, and your guide made installation nice and simple for me.

But I'm missing sound via HDMI in Yosemite.

Do you know how I can enable HDMI sound - using the HDMI port on the motherboard?

Thank you the for well written, easy to follow guide.

I also have the MSI H81M-E34. And I'm using an i3 with HD 4600 graphics - no graphics card.

This is my first attempt at an Hackintosh, and your guide made installation nice and simple for me.

But I'm missing sound via HDMI in Yosemite.
Do you know how I can enable HDMI sound - using the HDMI port on the motherboard?

Thank you, and welcome to the world of Hackintosh! Yes, HDMI audio is possible. I did not go over this step because I currently do not have an HDMI monitor with speakers on it. So I couldn't test whether it works or not. 

There is a great guide written by Toleda on another website that talks about how to enable this. Unfortunately due to forum rules I can't post the direct link, but go to Google and search for "Audio - HDMI Audio AppleHDA [Guide]". Should be the first link.

• 4 weeks later...

Very good detailed guide! Thank you so much for your work! Love it!!!

I have a Pentium G3258 CPU with a MSI H81m-p33 MB, and a EVGA GTX 750 Ti.

Would you mind giving some instructions on how to install Yosemite on it?

Thank you in advance!

You don't really have to do anything different to what the guide says  :). I have to warn you of two things. Since you are using a Pentium CPU, you may run into a kernel panic. Are you familiar with how Clover works? Sorry that I have not covered this in the guide but for a Pentium CPU, you must enable the FakeCPU key in Clover's config.plist file.

I'm not sure which string will work on your motherboard. Some say that 0x0306A0 will work. Others say that 0x0106E0 will work too.

Basically in the Clover Config plist file find the portion that says KernelAndKextPatches, if it exists. If not then you must create it by copying and pasting the code below.

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>FakeCPUID</key>
<string>0x0306A0</string>
</dict>    

If KernelAndKextPatches portion already exist in the config.plist file, then you only copy FakeCPUID and string.

<key>FakeCPUID</key>

As you notice the string already has a value filled in for you. So if the computer does not boot, then you have to change the value inside the string to the other value i mentioned earlier.

The config.plist file that I'm taking about is in the MSI H81 Motherboards pack. You can choose whichever of the two Intel HD Graphics Clover files since the GPU doesn't exist on your system. By default, native NVIDIA driver won't load since you have a Maxwell card. After you have downloaded official drivers from nvidia, you can enable the drivers in the clover.plist file, again having the fakecpuid code in there as well.

Second, you must boot using the GTX 750TI card. Don't attempt to boot with the integrated graphics. 

If you don't really know what's happening here then I may have to create a custom config.plist file for you since the ones in the motherboards pack is designed for Intel Core CPUs. 

Well if you have questions then let me know. Might not respond to them quickly though.

@GhostRaider Very nice and Perfect  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

i have suggestion for you if you having issue in adding clover entry after Windows installation here is my Workaround   

This way added option  to Bios prompt  to Choose Windows BootManager or OtherOS (which is clover )

then you dont required to add EasyEFI tool . 

This is a great suggestion, but i'm not sure if renaming those boot files is a good thing lol

• Like 2

This is a great suggestion, but i'm not sure if renaming those boot files is a good thing lol

not asking you to rename files (this is not necessary but only for if you have legacy bios ) but you have to install clover first on HDD and boot to USB from ESP and install it , this windows bootloader will not rule on ESP .. 

i'm testing some more WorkArounds  will update if some will more better than this 

• Like 1

Thank you so much! It worked! :thumbsup_anim:

You don't really have to do anything different to what the guide says  :). I have to warn you of two things. Since you are using a Pentium CPU, you may run into a kernel panic. Are you familiar with how Clover works? Sorry that I have not covered this in the guide but for a Pentium CPU, you must enable the FakeCPU key in Clover's config.plist file.

I'm not sure which string will work on your motherboard. Some say that 0x0306A0 will work. Others say that 0x0106E0 will work too.

Basically in the Clover Config plist file find the portion that says KernelAndKextPatches, if it exists. If not then you must create it by copying and pasting the code below.

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>FakeCPUID</key>
</dict>    

If KernelAndKextPatches portion already exist in the config.plist file, then you only copy FakeCPUID and string.

<key>FakeCPUID</key>

As you notice the string already has a value filled in for you. So if the computer does not boot, then you have to change the value inside the string to the other value i mentioned earlier.

The config.plist file that I'm taking about is in the MSI H81 Motherboards pack. You can choose whichever of the two Intel HD Graphics Clover files since the GPU doesn't exist on your system. By default, native NVIDIA driver won't load since you have a Maxwell card. After you have downloaded official drivers from nvidia, you can enable the drivers in the clover.plist file, again having the fakecpuid code in there as well.

Second, you must boot using the GTX 750TI card. Don't attempt to boot with the integrated graphics. 

If you don't really know what's happening here then I may have to create a custom config.plist file for you since the ones in the motherboards pack is designed for Intel Core CPUs. 

Well if you have questions then let me know. Might not respond to them quickly though.

• Like 2

Glad it worked for you. Have fun and remember El Capitan Releases on September 30!  B)

Thanks! Actually everything works except Sleep/Wake up. Sleep is fine, but I can't wake up it using mouse or keyboard, only power button. And power button will just make it restart, and the CMOS will be reset. I followed this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298536-applertc-patch-cmos-reset/

Now it can't reboot now. The apple logo will show, but the progress bar will not even loaded a bit. Then it reboot again. Don't know what to do...

Thank you for all your help.

Thanks! Actually everything works except Sleep/Wake up. Sleep is fine, but I can't wake up it using mouse or keyboard, only power button. And power button will just make it restart, and the CMOS will be reset. I followed this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298536-applertc-patch-cmos-reset/

Now it can't reboot now. The apple logo will show, but the progress bar will not even loaded a bit. Then it reboot again. Don't know what to do...

Thank you for all your help.

It doesn't wake up from the keyboard/mouse because the USBs are not receiving power in sleep. This problem can be fixed by reading the MSI H81M Motherboard manual that came in the box. The jumpers to enable S3 state on the motherboard have to be set manually.

Yes, I know this is not in the guide either lol. So behind on it.  :moil:

After correctly setting up the jumpers, a new option on the MSI BIOS screen will appear called Wake Up Event Setup in the Advanced menu.

Wake should work, unless there's a problem with your graphics card. AppleRTC can be patched using clover automatically. As for not booting, you have to boot in verbose mode to see where its getting stuck.

• Like 1