[Guide] Dual-boot with Windows 10 and Clover - Legacy or UEFI

fusion71au

31 posts in this topic

For those wanting to try Windows 10, I thought I would create a short guide on how to create a Clover/UEFI Windows 10 installer with Rufus and clean install.  This guide is tailored for legacy BIOS machines but should also work in systems with native UEFI firmware.

Prerequisites
1.  Access to OSX and Windows to run Rufus and install Clover
2.  Install Rufus: Download from here
3.  Download the Windows 10 insider preview ISO (build 10074) from here

Edit 29/7/15 RTM build 10240 available!:  Download MediaCreationTool.

Making the UEFI Windows Installer
1.  In Windows, Insert a 4GB or larger USB and start Rufus with the following settings

post-846696-0-31127900-1430613723_thumb.png

• Partition scheme and target system device = MBR for UEFI computer
  • File System FAT32

2.  Click the “Create a bootable disk using ISO image” checkbox and the CDROM icon to browse/choose your downloaded ISO
3.  Click Start & OK to burn the image to the USB.  Notice the USB takes on the name of the original ISO.

post-846696-0-76178000-1430613828_thumb.png

4.  After the image has been burned to the USB, copy bootx64.efi from the /efi/boot folder of the Windows ISO/DVD into /efi/microsoft/boot.  Rename the file to "bootmgfw.efi" and also rename cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak.

post-846696-0-70085800-1430613886_thumb.png

• For Windows 7, you need to extract bootmgfw.efi from "install.wim" eg using 7-Zip, open the iso and navigate to \sources\install.wim\1\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi and copy to efi\microsoft\boot on the USB.

Installing Legacy Clover (for legacy BIOS machines to boot the installer in UEFI mode)

1.  Install Clover onto the USB drive (in OSX) with the “use alternative booting PBR” option ticked as shown below.

post-846696-0-25875500-1430613931_thumb.png

Note - you can also install legacy Clover onto the USB in Windows using the Bootice program - see post#23

2.  Copy the config.plist, DSDT/SSDT.aml file(s) which are specific to your system into the Clover folder
    - Put config.plist in /EFI/CLOVER directory

- Put DSDT.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
    - Put FakeSMC.kext and other kexts required in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.x (where x is your version of OSX)

Installation of Windows 10
1.  Create free space on the target hard drive for Windows 10.  This can be done in OSX using Disk Utility or in Windows with Disk Management/Diskpart.exe.
2.  It is recommended to temporarily disconnect all hard drives except the target hard drive when installing or updating Windows 10.
3.  Boot the computer with the Installer USB, pressing <F12> (or whatever your system’s BIOS boot selection key is) to choose the USB and then pressing the number <6> key when you see Clover’s flashing underscore
4.  At the Clover Main Menu, choose “Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from your_USB_name” ---> start the Windows 10 installer GUI

post-846696-0-73256500-1430614054_thumb.png

5.  Follow the rest of the steps in this guide - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

post-846696-0-13598600-1430636237_thumb.png

Notes

• Choose the “Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)” option and just select the Unallocated Space for the installation —> the correct partitions will be automatically set up
  • At the first reboot, boot to the USB again but at the Clover Main Menu, select “Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI”
  • As the final step, don’t forget to install Clover on the hard drive :).
  • Major version upgrades through Windows Update (as opposed to a clean install) may overwrite the bootsector so legacy Clover might need to be re-installed.  I recommend clean installing instead of letting Windows update perform an upgrade.
  • If you run Windows 10 or 8 with Windows 7, you should turn off "Windows Hybrid Boot" to avoid chkdsk running every time you change from booting Windows 8/10 to Windows 7.

Chameleon/Clover Emergency Boot Disk

As an added bonus, by adding the attached Chameleon boot file to the root of the USB, you can use the installer as an emergency boot disk for Clover or Chameleon:

post-846696-0-27522800-1430636610_thumb.png

Set your BIOS to boot first from USB ---> when you see the flashing underscore, press <1> to boot with Chameleon or <6> to boot with Clover :).

Chameleon v2737_boot1.zip

Chameleon v2795_boot1.zip

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Install the UEFI Windows Bootloader in an existing Legacy Windows MBR Installation

Sometimes, you have the scenario where there is an already existing install of legacy Windows on an MBR disk.  Afterwards, you install OSX on a separate GPT disk with Clover and find that it won't boot the existing Windows MBR drive.  What to do without formatting and re-installing Windows in UEFI mode?

Answer:  Install the Windows EFI bootloader, bootmgfw.efi on the existing Windows NTFS partition using bcdboot.exe.  This program can be executed from the command prompt and is also found in Windows installation media (iso, DVD or usb).  The Windows 8 or newer versions of bcdboot.exe are required for exclusive installation of UEFI boot files in an EFI folder (and will also work with Windows 7). 

post-846696-0-68352200-1459673159_thumb.png

Clover will also require the NTFS.efi driver in order to read data from NTFS partitions.

Procedure
1.  Boot to OSX on the GPT drive and mount the EFI System Partition.  This can be done with terminal:

diskutil list
diskutil mount diskXs1 (where X is the disk number of your OSX GPT drive)

2.  Copy NTFS.efi into the  /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 & /drivers64UEFI folders.
3.  Insert a Windows 8/10 installer USB and reboot the computer to the Windows installer using the BIOS boot select key (eg <F12> on Gigabyte boards).
4.  At the Windows Installer GUI, press <Shift> and <F10> keys simultaneously to bring up the Windows Command Prompt

2660d1318450617t-command-prompt-boot-sta

5.  Type the following lines into the terminal, pressing <Enter> after each line:

diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the MBR hard disk with Windows installed)
list partition
select partition * (where * is the Windows partition number)
assign letter=W
exit
bcdboot W:\windows /s W: /f UEFI

6.  Close the command prompt and reboot the computer to Clover on your OSX drive. With any luck, you should now have a "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from ####" entry ---> boots Windows in UEFI mode by running bootmgfw.efi.

post-846696-0-35094900-1459670967_thumb.png

post-846696-0-17986700-1459670996_thumb.png

7.  You can add the following lines to the GUI section of your Clover config.plist to hide the extraneous legacy Windows entries:

<key>Scan</key>
<dict>
<key>Entries</key>
<true/>
<key>Legacy</key>
<false/>
<key>Tool</key>
<true/>
</dict>

bcdboot.zip

• Like 6

@fusion71au i found fix to my system what i did
1. Use rufus instead MBR I select GPT UEFI
2. Renamed bootx64.efi to bootmgfw.efi and above instructions said
3. Installed clover to usb , selected -> UEFI Mobo instead no kext required

4. Just booted with my UEFI USB and selected to efi usb ( boot with bootmgfw.efi )
5. As OSX is previously installed and left free space I selected 

Note : Don't forget to install clover to ESP (EFI Patition ) and , Preferable if you boot from ESP and select USB (windows ) this way UEFI Bios will add entry to Both Bootloader Windows and Clover , otherwise Windows Bootloader will rule over it ..  re-installing clover doesn't fix this (in My Situation) ,

Everything is Fine and working perfect with Dual Boot 

PS: I tested this on  Asus H61M-D Motherboard UEFI BIOS , will test on legacy bios and update soon 

Edited by InsanelyDeepak
  • Like 2

^^

@InsanelyDeepak,

That's great and thanks for the feedback!

I'm happy that you found a workaround to your problem, although by remaking the RUFUS installer again, your USB drive would have been repartitioned and reformatted, which was what I was recommending anyway in post#4  :).  Personally, I've never had the error 0xc0000005 with the installer USB made with an MBR partition layout.

Choosing the "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" certainly works if your computer has native UEFI firmware but some systems with legacy BIOS eg my desktop GA-P55aUD3/Intel i5 750/ATI HD 5770 will refuse to boot from a GPT partitioned USB so I chose a FAT32 MBR to be compatible with more systems.  Also if you have UEFI BIOS, you don't really even need to install Clover onto the USB - just directly choose the UEFI boot option for the USB and it will load bootx64.efi/bootmgfw.efi --> install UEFI Windows.

That being said, I've tested my MBR formatted installer to install UEFI Windows 10 on all my legacy BIOS systems, a desktop GA-B75M-D3H with UEFI BIOS and also on my real Mac Mini  - see pictures below....

post-846696-0-50104500-1441600026_thumb.jpg

post-846696-0-76482600-1441600061_thumb.jpg

post-846696-0-24022100-1441600103_thumb.jpg

post-846696-0-81085100-1441600131_thumb.jpg

Clover successfully chainloads to the Windows bootmanager bootmgfw.efi and then Setup.exe ---> installed UEFI Windows 10.  Obviously I didn't use Clover to boot into OSX on my Mac Mini :hysterical:.

• Like 1

@fusion71au 

but some systems with legacy BIOS eg my desktop GA-P55aUD3/Intel i5 750/ATI HD 5770 will refuse to boot from a GPT partitioned USB

yes you are  legacy system often refuse it , i have tested this GA-H61M-D2H Mobo 

Also if you have UEFI BIOS, you don't really even need to install Clover onto the USB - just directly choose the UEFI boot option for the USB and it will load bootx64.efi/bootmgfw.efi --> install UEFI Windows.

this also right but i did for safe side when windows bootloader rule to ESP then i again need a to boot to Hack to get clover back ...

I've tested my MBR formatted installer to install UEFI Windows 10 on all my legacy BIOS systems, a desktop GA-B75M-D3H with UEFI BIOS and also on my real Mac Mini 

maybe differ workaround due to having a Asus Mobo i think ..and i don't have macmini to test it  :D  :D but aswell as i know it don't require a custom bootloader 

Clover successfully chainloads to the Windows bootmanager bootmgfw.efi and then Setup.exe ---> installed UEFI Windows 10

i was having a issue with my system i always need to rename cloverx64.efi to bootmgfw to bootclover  and i'm totally having new exp with UEFI (renaming alwasy irritate me windows updates take over it ) 

and if i choose USB Windows directly from Bios which again make Windows to take over ESP , no clover 

but now with this workaround i have successfully added option  now my Bios prompt me to Choose Windows BootManager or OtherOS (which is clover ) which is  really  Awesome   :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim: 

• 5 weeks later...

@InfintyGhost,

Yes, with slight modification in "Making the Installer" step 4:

• For Windows 7, you need to extract bootmgfw.efi from "install.wim" eg using 7-Zip, open the iso and navigate to \sources\install.wim\1\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi and copy to efi\microsoft\boot on the USB.
  • For Windows 8 and 10, copy the bootx64.efi found in the \efi\boot folder to \efi\microsoft\boot and rename it bootmgfw.efi.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This process worked great on my Optiplex 780 Desktop. 

On my Latitude e6420 I get an error when choosing partition to install windows 10 to:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

I remember getting this error with my Optiplex 780. I had an extra USB flash drive plugged in to the back of the box, and I only needed to unplug the unneeded flash drive, and Windows 10 installed without any more errors.

There are no other drives plugged in to my Latitude e6420.  It does have a SSD hard drive.

Arg! :(

• 2 weeks later...

@fusion71au

I have problem when create a 8.1 usb installer, I perform your guide step by step, but I cant boot to my usb.

I already have a dual boot "windows 7 + yosemite" PC with clover bootloader, But I want to install window 8.1 instead of window 7

First, here is my clover bootloader screen

screenshot1.png

And when I chose "boot Microsoft EFI menu from..", there is what happen, I tried to pick any option that I could, but cant boot to my usb :(

screenshot0.png

Plz help me :(

@rain.nguyen,

What is the size of the bootx64.efi that you renamed to bootmgfw.efi?

My guess is that you have used the bootx64.efi from your hard disk's EFI system partition (which is actually CLOVERX64.efi and about 646KB) instead of the bootx64.efi from the Windows 8 ISO/DVD (> 1MB, found in the EFI\boot folder of the Windows install media)...

post-846696-0-57030300-1449891931_thumb.png

Hence when you choose Boot Microsoft EFI Boot Menu, you are loading another instance of Clover instead of the UEFI Windows Bootloader.

Another way to get bootmgfw.efi is to extract it from install.wim using 7 Zip in Windows (found in the sources folder on your Windows 8 ISO/DVD).  Open install.wim and navigate to the Windows\Boot\EFI folder...

post-846696-0-92281000-1449891969_thumb.png

• 4 months later...

hi im stuck in installing win 7, i cant find install.wim folder, in iso image.

i downloaded #Discussion of P2P, torrent sites, or similar download sites of any kind will not be tolerated. We do not want to know your illegal downloading habits.

any help //

Srsly?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon @fusion71au.  I was hoping you or anyone could help me with an issue I'm having.
My goal was to dual boot Windows 7 and Yosemite both in UEFI mode using Clover, with the operating systms on seperate SSD's. I'm a decent PC user, but I'm new to Mac so it took me a little bit to understand the Mac lingo.

I successfully installed OSX Yosemite following various guides (mostly from tonymac), and other sites when I didn't understand something. It took me a approximately 5 hours or so to install Yosemite, but it's been solid ever since. Now, the big issue I'm having is with Windows 7. That's suprising to me because I'm a long time PC user who has built many systems. Long story short, it's installed in UEFI. It took me a while to figure out Windows Update. Apparently there are issues with that (as stared on many forums). Luckly I found another guide that helped me a lot.

Now, before installing the Windows Updates I was able to successfully boot Windows and Yosemite from Clover. After I installed all of the Windows Updates (that took hours too), and plugged back in the hard drive that contained Yosemite, I could not boot Windows 7 from Clover anymore. The Windows screen would come up, and then it would turn into a black screen. After I I don't know what I did. I even reinstalled Windows 7 (for like the 5th time). This last time i saw that I could still boot Windows 7 if I set it as #1 to boot in bios. If Windows had previously failed to boot from Clover, Windows will give me an error screen, but when i choose to "Launch Windows Normally" it launches with no problems. I think something happend with the Clover bootloader. I can still boot into Yosemite with Clover. I've searched and searched with no clear answer. Today is day five of me trying to get this to work. I've tried almost everything people suggested with no good results.

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate in UEFI mode as per this guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...-mode-usb.html

I installed Yosemite per this guide: Success Guide Yosemite 10.10.1 Clover UEFI Guide - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

It booted fine from Clover for a while. Once again, I performed a windows update where it had to install 200+ updates. It seems like right after that, it would not boot from Clover anymore. OS X Yoesmite still boots, and Windows will boot if I choose it in the bios, but not in Clover. I even reinstalled the EFI boot file because I thought the update may have corrupted it.

I fixed it per this guide: http://www.hasper.info/repair-a-dest...i-boot-sector/

I confirmed that Windows 7 is installed EFI.  Any suggestions?

post-1707347-0-97457000-1461607400_thumb.jpg

CPU- i7 4790K 8M 4GHz
MB- Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
GPU- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 SSC-4GB GDDR5
Ram- Crucial Tactical 32GB Kit DDR3 1600
HD- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD x2 (OS on each one)

• 1 month later...

Install legacy Clover for the UEFI Windows Installer in Windows

Prerequisites
1.  7-Zip
2.  Bootice program
3.  Clover ISO downloaded from Sourceforge
4.  UEFI Windows Installer USB, formatted MBR FAT32 created with Rufus (as described in post#1)

Overview
The Clover wiki describes the legacy booting process:  Essentially BIOS--->MBR--->PBR--->boot--->CLOVERX64.efi--->OSLoader

In terms of the bootsectors required to boot a UEFI Windows Installer, we will use the following
BIOS--->boot0af in MBR of the FAT32 USB--->boot1f5 in the PBR--->boot5 (actually boot6 renamed as boot5) in \ directory--->CLOVERX64.efi--->OSLoader

Unlike boot1f32alt, boot1f5 will automatically search for a "boot" file named boot5 (without the user having to press a number key during boot to choose).  We need to rename Clover's third stage boot file this way to prevent a conflict with the Windows installer folder also named "boot" - see post#21 by @Slice.

Procedure

1.  Download the CloverISO tar.lzma file from Sourceforge and extract the ISO with 7 Zip

post-846696-0-19797000-1464514541_thumb.png

2.  Copy the following boot files (attached to this post) boot0af, boot1f5 and boot5 to somewhere convenient
3.  Open the Bootice program, select the FAT32 formatted UEFI Windows Installer USB as the destination disk and click Process MBR from the main menu

post-846696-0-51054500-1464514624_thumb.png

4.  At the Master Boot Record screen, click restore MBR
5.  For the Restore file, browse to the boot0af file we copied from step 2

post-846696-0-05781200-1464514658_thumb.png

6.  Click the Restore button and you should get a confirmation that the operation completed successfully.  Click the close button.

7.  Click Process PBR from the main menu

8.  At the Partition Boot Record screen, select the FAT32 formatted UEFI Windows Installer as the destination partition and click the Restore PBR button.
9.  For the Restore file, browse to the boot1f5 file we copied from step 2.

post-846696-0-72499100-1464514697_thumb.png

10. Click the Restore button and you should get a confirmation that the operation completed successfully.  Click the close button and exit the program.

11. Extract the Clover folder from the Clover ISO and copy it into the \EFI folder of the USB Installer using 7 Zip. 

post-846696-0-11010500-1464514736_thumb.png

post-846696-0-91402400-1464514754_thumb.png

12. Copy boot5 into the root directory \ of the Installer

post-846696-0-05480400-1464514789_thumb.png

Done!

This last time i saw that I could still boot Windows 7 if I set it as #1 to boot in bios.

I confirmed that Windows 7 is installed EFI.  Any suggestions?

attachicon.gifUEFI Pic.jpg

@BlakDragun2,

Generally, Windows is not happy unless the disk with its system partition and boot files (usually, the disk it was first installed on) is given first boot priority in your BIOS...one thing you can try is moving the Clover and boot folders from the EFI of your OSX drive to the EFI System Partition of your Windows drive.  After giving first boot priority to the Windows drive, you can then use EasyUEFI to make the system boot to Clover - see Manually install Clover for UEFI booting and configure boot priority with EasyUEFI in Windows

Boot Files.zip

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time with steph 4 because I can't seem to find that bootx64 bootx64.efi from the /efi/boot folder of the Windows ISO/DVD into /efi/microsoft/boot to rename it to "bootmgfw.efi  I already renamed cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak.

@Blaggah,

From post#10

• For Windows 8 and 10, copy the bootx64.efi found in the \efi\boot folder to \efi\microsoft\boot and rename it bootmgfw.efi.

post-846696-0-84337200-1465377023_thumb.png

If your install media has an "install.esd" instead of wim, you can download this handy ESDtoISO tool from Windows 10 forums to convert the file to an ISO with "install.wim".

bootmgfw.zip

• Like 3