Brand-new 2013 Mac Pro 6,1!

- - - - - Sandy Bridge-e Dual Xeon Dual GPU Mac Pro Crossfire Fire Pro Darth Vader MacPro 6.1 OSX 10.9 No Expandability

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,892 posts
So the new Mac Pro is finally born and will be ready to deliver this fall.

Some of it's features and some thoughts about how it would impact the hackintosh world:

- Dual Ivy-E (or perhaps Sandy-E) Xeon CPUs: that means LGA power management either is here now with 10.8.4 (the MacPro 6,1 definition) or will be here soon with 10.9 (and those with a developer account and a LGA 2011 board will be able to test it now with 10.9 CPU);

- Dual GPU Support, at first with FirePro AMD GPUs: at last, Crossfire and possibly SLI under OSX! It could be also either here now with 10.8.4 or be available with 10.9 dp1, with a definition of MacPro 6,1. Testers? Perhaps there's a dormant driver for SLI already available in one of these systems, waiting for different Mac Pro configuration possibilities;

- No user upgradeability and/or internal expandability: this new workstation was designed to be powerful, but also small and silent. Thunderbold 2 will be available for extra hardware, such as GPUs (and that will suck, because the 20 GB/s Thunderbolt 2 bandwidth it's just the half of current PCI-e 3.0 16x used by GPUs, and a quarter of the upcoming PCI-e 4.0).

Here's a picture of the Darth Vader computer:

Attached File  newmacpro_wwdc13_02-100041154-large.jpg   62.37KB   75 downloads

May the force be with it!

P.S.: from Apple's: http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,975 posts
Mac Pro is not coming out any time soon. 10.8.x will most likely never support it on 10.9. Today was just a sneak peak. it will be Dual Ivy B-E as it supports native 1866 ECC ram.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,892 posts
It will start shipping next december or earlier, Rampage: it will be out this year, it was stated clearly as such in the keynote.

All the best!

P.S.: do you have a developer account? Can you tell if 10.9 dp1 is really out?

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,975 posts

It will start shipping next december or earlier, Rampage: it will be out this year, it was stated clearly as such in the keynote.

All the best!

P.S.: do you have a developer account? Can you tell if 10.9 dp1 is really out?

I know the shipping date is this fall. Never did I say next year. Its going to be at least 3-4 months till it ships.

Dev site crashed...

tdtran1025

tdtran1025

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
This will put an end to graphics card upgrade. I wonder the how much the lowest config will be, considering dual fire pro cards? If they price the same, I'd get me one.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...

So the new Mac Pro is finally born and will be ready to deliver this fall.

Some of it's features and some thoughts about how it would impact the hackintosh world:

- Dual Ivy-E (or perhaps Sandy-E) Xeon CPUs:

Mac Pro is not coming out any time soon. 10.8.x will most likely never support it on 10.9. Today was just a sneak peak. it will be Dual Ivy B-E as it supports native 1866 ECC ram.

Not a dual CPU machine... only a single Xeon.

And yeah - looks like Apple is trying to turn Thunderbolt into a cash cow by steering companies to make Thunderbolt devices and forcing those that buy the R2D2 to then buy those Thunderbolt devices. I think the lack of PCIe x16 slots is gonna make it harder for hackintoshes to use dedicated GPUs - time will tell though.

calciumantacid

calciumantacid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
They said clearly that it will be out "later this year". I think it's all designed and ready to go, they're just waiting on Intel to be ready with Thunderbolt 2.

nyolc8

nyolc8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
no user internal expandability, so it's basically a mac mini pro ;D

Derty

Derty

InsanelyMacaholic

• Donators
  • 3,165 posts
I dont sure... if its like... but is very good design.

Attached Files

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Here's a picture of the Darth Vader computer

More like D2 R2

And after reading the official presentation, I must admit it DOES look impressive. Apple expanded their NO WAY TO UPGRADE police from Mac Books to Mac Pros. That's quite logic step (from Apple's POV), but quite sad decision (from user's POV).

I wander how many cool nicknames the product is going to have (trash bin, Duracel, D2 R2 to name a few) :)

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
all the nick names that you just listed have already been used - with the ubiquitous "i" in front of them all...

FLiPFLoP KiD

FLiPFLoP KiD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I don't know exactly why, but I am not impressed with this MacPro.

JustFortehFun

JustFortehFun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

I don't know exactly why, but I am not impressed with this MacPro.

Its impressive the performance you get from that machine, but sadly its not meant for home users.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,892 posts

Not a dual CPU machine... only a single Xeon.

What? No, my friend! It will be a dual Ivy-E Xeon E5!

All the best!

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,975 posts

All the best!

No it really only has 1 CPU. It will be a Ivy-E 12 Core CPU.

artur-pt

artur-pt

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 4,471 posts
  • Interests:TechManiaco
hello

honesttly it reminde to me a ashtray.... rsrsrsrs

but anyway is a impressive piece of hardware.. only 1 fan to all that hardware...

new design for refreshing air

we will see.. in future

good hack

nota33133

nota33133

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
COST ?

apple has a history of over charging for their higher end boxes

will it be 2x 3 x or 4x the price of a user built hack of the same power/speed

zarac

zarac

InsanelyMac Zaphod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:film/video editing and post-production

COST ?

apple has a history of over charging for their higher end boxes

will it be 2x 3 x or 4x the price of a user built hack of the same power/speed

apple is doing everything in its power to keep the hackintosh community alive :)

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts

All the best!

um... nope - single CPU. One. Uno. один. Une. Einn. Ett. 12 cores - yes, Dual Processor - no.

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Does one really need the second CPU, then the one already present, has 12 (twelve) cores? I doubt that. But still, there is almost nothing left, that can be upgraded (by the user) in the new MacPro.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sandy Bridge-e, Dual Xeon, Dual GPU, Mac Pro, Crossfire, Fire Pro, Darth Vader, MacPro 6.1, OSX 10.9, No Expandability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy