[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI

GhostRaider

2,093 posts in this topic

OGL-EV 4.0.0 (Version 4.0.9 (8)) does not crash with Intel HD Graphics. The version 4.1 crash because "Core" is the profile by default instead "Compatibility".

Another question, Cinebench (OpenGL test) doesn't run, right?

Whenever I run OpenGL Extension Viewer, it crashes. Overall graphics performance is nice but I cant play chess i.e. OpenGL FPS must be in the 5-10 FPS range.

Can this occur because I am using 3GB RAM?

Hey what version see the comment under yours for help.

I can say from experience your not going to go anywhere above the 15fps range with intel hd graphics. Just not possible. Even i tried running games like wizard101 for my son and i got overheat. I can only run in 15fps with a fan.

Though this is true i dont really see a big difference on windows and mac. I am actually getting a better graphics preformance on mac than on windows. So its not a mac issue more of a overall cpu and graphics

Whenever I run OpenGL Extension Viewer, it crashes. Overall graphics performance is nice but I cant play chess i.e. OpenGL FPS must be in the 5-10 FPS range.

Can this occur because I am using 3GB RAM?

RAM does no matter. I have 3Gb RAM, too.

There are people here that have OpenGL issues here, but for some reason most issues are being reported by users with an Intel Core i3. I'm not sure what is causing the problem. For example, it is odd that the Iron Fist Boxer Head has a constant 6 FPS for all test. Maybe there is some sort of sync issue that is throttling the performance? I'm one of the few people who don't have any issues with OpenGL or is it because I have a Core i5?.

Anybody found the hex values that enable VGA out or HDMI? Anybody experimented with that?

There are people here that have OpenGL issues here, but for some reason most issues are being reported by users with an Intel Core i3. I'm not sure what is causing the problem. For example, it is odd that the Iron Fist Boxer Head has a constant 6 FPS for all test. Maybe there is some sort of sync issue that is throttling the performance? I'm one of the few people who don't have any issues with OpenGL or is it because I have a Core i5?.

Anybody found the hex values that enable VGA out or HDMI? Anybody experimented with that?

It does not depend on processor type/name. Recently, I've installed ML on Acer with core i3 370m (2.4GHz) as same as mine one! However, Acer has no issues, mine notebook has.

SO it does NOT matter what processor.

Acer has 0046 8086 rev. 18  dev id. Mine is rev. 02. Is there anybody with intel HD graphics dev id 8086 0046 rev.02 ??? if you have performance issue, what's you Rev?

It does not depend on processor type/name. Recently, I've installed ML on Acer with core i3 370m (2.4GHz) as same as mine one! However, Acer has no issues, mine notebook has.

Acer has 0046 8086 rev. 18  dev id. Mine is rev. 02. Is there anybody with intel HD graphics dev id 8086 0046 rev.02 ??? if you have performance issue, what's you Rev?

Hello,
Yes, I think the problem is rev version, is the "detail" that make the difference.
My rev version is 02 and my performance is low compared another rev in the same Intel HD Graphics.

Core i3 370m
Intel HD Graphics (0046)

Regards.

Hello,
Yes, I think the problem is rev version, is the "detail" that make the difference.
My rev version is 02 and my performance is low compared another rev in the same Intel HD Graphics.

Core i3 370m
Intel HD Graphics (0046)

Regards.

Thanks, warraisraw, we've finally found out the reason (I hope). Can you please provide your lspci -xxx for comparing with my values... I'll try to get these values from my friend's Acer that having no issues at all to look through the difference.

I'll upload all materials in this topic asap for further testing and developing this problem...

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks to those people who help me to enable my qe/ci and the brightness!

the only problem i need to solve is the Sleep

I don't have an issue with sleep (anymore) with my ASUS K52Jc.

Patching DSDT, use only kexts that are known to work with sleep, latest HWSensors and Clover in 'normal' boot mode. When booting in UEFI I get all sort of problems like freezing AC/BAT and sleep hangs. Now my sleep is working, even hybrid. :)

I don't have an issue with sleep (anymore) with my ASUS K52Jc.

Patching DSDT, use only kexts that are known to work with sleep, latest HWSensors and Clover in 'normal' boot mode. When booting in UEFI I get all sort of problems like freezing AC/BAT and sleep hangs. Now my sleep is working, even hybrid. :)

i want my sleep working. ^^ can you post the kext u used?

i want my sleep working. ^^ can you post the kext u used?

I posted my patched (Intel HD) kexts (details) in this topic already. The best way to get sleep to work is by patching your DSDT: Add brightness-device, add sleep-methods to usb-ports, etc.

You can find most patches on http://olarila.com/

The brightness patch can be found on the first page and the [Guide] Backlight + Brightness for Intel 8086:0046 (1st gen HD) (GMA 5700MHD) topic.

You also need speedstep working (AppleLPC). See for more details the Clover Wiki.

I'm using only a few kexts: Fakesmc (with HWMonitor), VoodooHDA.kext. I don't use any sleepenabler, etc.

Also one thing: try to boot into normal mode, not UEFI-mode using Clover. This causing freezes.

Thanks, warraisraw, we've finally found out the reason (I hope). Can you please provide your lspci -xxx for comparing with my values... I'll try to get these values from my friend's Acer that having no issues at all to look through the difference.

I'll upload all materials in this topic asap for further testing and developing this problem...

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,
Here is my lspci

[Packard Bell EasyNote TK85]

Regards.

lspci_tk85.txt

I posted my patched (Intel HD) kexts (details) in this topic already. The best way to get sleep to work is by patching your DSDT: Add brightness-device, add sleep-methods to usb-ports, etc.

You can find most patches on http://olarila.com/

The brightness patch can be found on the first page and the [Guide] Backlight + Brightness for Intel 8086:0046 (1st gen HD) (GMA 5700MHD) topic.

You also need speedstep working (AppleLPC). See for more details the Clover Wiki.

I'm using only a few kexts: Fakesmc (with HWMonitor), VoodooHDA.kext. I don't use any sleepenabler, etc.

Also one thing: try to boot into normal mode, not UEFI-mode using Clover. This causing freezes.

Thanks for the info. i already fixed the Brightness. the only problem is the sleep.

I confirm, mine is rev.02 too

with the indeed release of 10.9 does anyone know of the state wheter intel hd is supported or not. in the means that can it be modified for those in need

Becuase all this hard work would of loss if in the end 10.9 dousent work with us

The first reports say it is working, or the kexts from the 10.8.* serie can be used.

Hello everyone and thank you for this great thread it's been very helpful.

I've been trying to enable QE on my Sony VAIO VPC which uses first gen Intel graphics
dev id: 8086:0x0046 rev 2 for the past few days following this thread but I always end up with a blank/gray screen, this is what i've tried so far:

I tried patching my own FB using Intel_reg_dumper from linux (attached) which outputs that it, in fact, uses LVDS, single channel and X1 width, but no luck, still getting gray screen.

I Disabled the use of natit patching my dsdt following the guide from first post.

According to windows, my display native resolution is 1366x768x32, which work with "CI only" kexts from first post and graphics enabler and graphics mode flags enabled.

When I use QE/QI kexts and patched (or original) Framebuffer i get a gray screen, and I can access my laptop using VNC, and see that my resolution is 1280x800x32 which led me to believe that my EDID wasn't being reported property, so I tried overriding it from dsdt using the values i got from windows using "moninfo". I don't know if i patched it correctly or not, please check it. (DSDT patched and original are also attached)

But still, no luck, :(  I don't know what else to do, and since I see that other Vaio users in this same thread already were able to enable QE, I think there's still hope, there's just something I don't see, please, can you guys help me? 

If you need any other information, please ask me, also I'm using ML 10.8.4 and my processor according to macCPUID is a core i3 M330 arrendale.

Thank you so much, any help wpuld be greatly appreciated it, I can donate to any project of yours also.

VAIO QE.zip

Wouldn´t using natit with patched dsdt only discard patched values?

My Card is propertly recognised after patch and Framebuffer is actually running.

I´m using Mountain Lion 10.8.4 as I stated before. Here are some screen captures taken from vnc of my laptop when showing blank screen on my internal display, I think my right resolution values are still not being passed, as I can see these values are not correct, even though I use Graphics mode flag and patched my EDID values (Maybe incorrectly, can someone check?) into my dsdt.

ddm8ut.jpg

Ill also include  my kextstat and ioreg outputs when FB is loaded.

ioreg fb loaded.rtf

go to terminal remove the intel kexts and then reinstall the kexts this happened to me and all i did was remove and reinstall the kexts. Simple as that

I also wasnt getiing full res. Plus grey screen.

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT KEXTS. Are you using kexts from the pakages availble here or native ones. If you are using native try modified

I've indeed tried reinstalling a lot of different FB combinations and KEXTS, From patching my own FB to most of the Alternative FB combinations from the package attached in the first post of this thread and vanilla, every time I have removed all my graphics kexts and tried a different combination.

The only two outputs Ive gotten are a gray screen and gotten stuck at boot, verbose or not. but I[ve always been able to enter via VNC.

I've triple checked my EDID values from moninfo and patched them into my dsdt *see attachment at post #371

they actually show up when I typeioreg -l | grep -e "edid" which suggests they are loaded, but still my resolution is not correctly taken when AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB is loaded.

from what I can see, Amphil seems to have the same laptop as I do, maybe there's someone else with a Vaio Laptop? Should I start a new thread?