[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI

GhostRaider

2,093 posts in this topic

Do you or anyone else have Mavericks 10.9 DP 7 installed? Would you mind uploading the Intel HD Graphics DP7 kexts (clean kexts/not modified)? I kind of want to test out something.

I don't have DP7 but is in my intention update DP1 to DP7, in the hope to have IntelHD working soon, because otherwise i intall 10.8.5. Anyway now i update to DP7 and upload the kexts. if nobody do it first ;)

I don't have DP7 but is in my intention update DP1 to DP7, in the hope to have IntelHD working soon, because otherwise i intall 10.8.5. Anyway now i update to DP7 and upload the kexts. if nobody do it first ;)

Well if nobody else does it then I'd appreciate your contribution.  :)

Anyways I finished pre-patching the 10.8.5 kexts. The download links for eDP and LVDS users are now available. 

Hi everyone!

This is a new version of the Intel HD Graphics Patcher. I added a few things but especially I edited the patch for Mavericks (now it should work). I need someone to try it out.

THANKS

I'm sorry to say that it still doesn't work in Mavericks DP7.There's no output, just a blank screen. But Framebuffer from 10.8.5 works well.

Ok, I was able to find GFX0 in the IORegistryExplorer, but when I tried to find it in the extracted DSDT, I wasn't able to find it under Device PCI0. I figured it would be between POP1 and POP2 because they have Name (_ADR, 0x00010000) and Name (_ADR, 0x00030000), respectively. I'm not sure where to begin then. I have attached my DSDT and a screenshot of IORegistryExplorer showing the location of my graphics card at GFX0.

DSDT.aml.zip

post-1211701-0-61568000-1379345063_thumb.png

Ok, I was able to find GFX0 in the IORegistryExplorer, but when I tried to find it in the extracted DSDT, I wasn't able to find it under Device PCI0. I figured it would be between POP1 and POP2 because they have Name (_ADR, 0x00010000) and Name (_ADR, 0x00030000), respectively. I'm not sure where to begin then. I have attached my DSDT and a screenshot of IORegistryExplorer showing the location of my graphics card at GFX0.

Its not bad, sometimes it's under a different tree. ;)

You can also rename GFX0 to IGP or IGP0, but that is much more work.

Try the dsdt.aml from /Extra. I did some work for better compatibility, fixed the factory errors, renamed the device GFX0 and all his declarations to IGPU, etc.

Now you can get rid off the natit.kext.

The dsdt.dsl is the base for future editions, because have more information and commentaries.

Is a point of start. Good Luck.

ready dsdt IGPU injection.zip

Hi. Please try this version. Try both Mode 1 and Mode 2 patches.

Thanks

Congratulations! Mode 1 works on my laptop! And finally we can patch Mavericks's Framebuffer!! :thumbsup_anim:

However, I don't know whether Mode 2 works too. Anyway, we at least find a way to solve the problem!

Happy Mid-autumn day!!! And thank you so much, giofrida!

Congratulations! Mode 1 works on my laptop! And finally we can patch Mavericks's Framebuffer!! :thumbsup_anim:

However, I don't know whether Mode 2 works too. Anyway, we at least find a way to solve the problem!

Happy Mid-autumn day!!! And thank you so much, giofrida!

I heard Apple released Developer Preview 8. Does the framebuffer patch work on Mavericks DP8? If so, then our 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics will be fully compatible with OS X Mavericks when it officially releases in October. Although Giofrida did not offically discover QE/CI, he did however found how to patch OS X 10.9. B)

Well there doesn't seem to be anything new for 10.8.5 in this thread but does VGA/HDMI out work on 10.9 or still the same?

Hi guys!

New version of the patcher is out:

www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/101-intel-hd-graphics-patcher/

I hope you'll like it

Thanks giofrida, but there is a problem, it's impossible to drag the framebuffer into the textfield 

Hi all,

I made a good process on optimizing the Intel HD on 10.8.5:

- Tweaked IOPlatform.kext, bringing values from later Intel HD GPU to the first-gen (don't know if all work (correctly))

- Tweaked AppleGrapPM.kext, better PM, more power-saving and a higher framework

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB, 'ported' values from newer Intel HD series to this driver (simple tested if features worked)

When I first played Trackmania (CrossOver) without the tweaks, I simply could not play the game at any setting. By tweaking and trying out settings I finally manage to get a good performance on a (simple) game. Now I can play at full-resolution (1366x768) and the gameplay is relatively smooth. Trackmania reports only 64MB GPU Memory and that is correctly when running a notebook with Optimus (Intel HD+nVidia GPU) system.

Please take a look at my tweaks, try them for yourself (at your own risk!) and let me know if you also get a higher performance (in gaming).

I also found out why I need to disable the flag: RenderStandby

On Optimus-systems this should always be enabled, otherwise the nVidia card will get stuck and your notebook will hang.

Question: Could someone please post me tables (DarwinDump file of a MacBook(6,2) model? I want to try something to get Optimus to work. :)

Thanks for reading! :)

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?7hbgdrlm7egfwbi

PS. I use the Macbook6,2 model, so also look under this model

PS2. At developers: would you also please test my kexts? If this works, it could be ported to other systems and a bring optimized GPU

PS3. You can always PM me for help

PS4. Please note that this is at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage, but I believe it works without any problems (temps, voltages, etc. are OK). I'm willing to post a video or post images

Thanks giofrida, but there is a problem, it's impossible to drag the framebuffer into the textfield 

Fixed. You only needed to click in the textfield. Anyway, I updated the patcher to make it automatic (as it was in the earlier version).

Hi all,

- Tweaked IOPlatform.kext, bringing values from later Intel HD GPU to the first-gen (don't know if all work (correctly))

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB, 'ported' values from newer Intel HD series to this driver (simple tested if features worked)

When I first played Trackmania (CrossOver) without the tweaks, I simply could not play the game at any setting. By tweaking and trying out settings I finally manage to get a good performance on a (simple) game. Now I can play at full-resolution (1366x768) and the gameplay is relatively smooth. Trackmania reports only 64MB GPU Memory and that is correctly when running a notebook with Optimus (Intel HD+nVidia GPU) system.

Please take a look at my tweaks, try them for yourself (at your own risk!) and let me know if you also get a higher performance (in gaming).

On Optimus-systems this should always be enabled, otherwise the nVidia card will get stuck and your notebook will hang.

Question: Could someone please post me tables (DarwinDump file of a MacBook(6,2) model? I want to try something to get Optimus to work. :)

PS2. At developers: would you also please test my kexts? If this works, it could be ported to other systems and a bring optimized GPU

PS4. Please note that this is at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage, but I believe it works without any problems (temps, voltages, etc. are OK). I'm willing to post a video or post images

I'll test your tweaks soon! Does the temperature lowered after these tweaks?

I'll test your tweaks soon! Does the temperature lowered after these tweaks?

Thanks. :)

A bit, no much. But the ASUS cooling-part is really bad. To give you an example, I needed to create some holes on the back of the notebook to get some heat out, result: from 60C to 56C idle. :P

Now with tweaking (kexts, Clover, etc.) I managed to get around 50-53C idle. :)

To be honest, I also replaced the i3 with an i5-520M CPU, I don't think the notebook was made for a higher CPU, although it is working fine. :P

Fixed. You only needed to click in the textfield. Anyway, I updated the patcher to make it automatic (as it was in the earlier version).

Yes it's true, thanks ;)

Hi all,

Very good news :) but i have Mavericks and i must wait to port this tweaks in 10.9 kexts

Yes it's true, thanks ;)

Very good news :) but i have Mavericks and i must wait to port this tweaks in 10.9 kexts

The good news is that 'our' GPU works in 10.9. :)

Let's wait and see, maybe Apple did some work for us, although they optimized the HD 3000/4000 models a lot more. The first Intel HD was just to save battery, because the nVidia GPU was not a power-saver.

The Intel HD 3000/4000 have also more performance, so I think Apple will keep the focus on the 'top-models'.

The good news is that 'our' GPU works in 10.9. :)

Let's wait and see, maybe Apple did some work for us, although they optimized the HD 3000/4000 models a lot more. The first Intel HD was just to save battery, because the nVidia GPU was not a power-saver.

The Intel HD 3000/4000 have also more performance, so I think Apple will keep the focus on the 'top-models'.

We just have to wait and see the official release of Mavericks. I mean the Intel HD Graphics kexts have been updated in Mavericks, the version is higher than that of 10.8 and as you can see there were slight modifications in patching the framebuffer kext. Apple's goal for Mavericks was to preserve battery life so they had to look at our kexts and change things. I'm not sure if we'll experience these changes.

But I have noticed that there aren't that many people with this IGPU anymore compared to 2010. I guess they thought QE/CI would never happen and sold their PCs. Our IGPU will never be as good as the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation but for the average stuff it gets the job done.  :)  

Hey guys, quick question:

What kexts do I use for Mavericks?

It seems that there are only 4 kexts for Intel HD Graphics instead of the 5 on ML.

Do I use the 10.8.5 kexts, or do I just patch 10.9's framebuffer?

You only must patch the 10.9 framebuffer with giofrida tool (Intel HD Graphics Patcher), install Natit.kext and then works. 

• Like 1