[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI

GhostRaider

2,093 posts in this topic

What is the difference between the Intel kexts for different versions of Mac OS?

Usually there are minor improvements within each version while others are major. For example, in the days of 10.8.2, the Intel HD Graphics had issues rendering screensavers, for example, the shell screensaver. It was also a bit slower. Ever since 10.8.3, it is fully working and seems a bit faster.

Not only that but OpenGL and OpenCL platforms change within each update. This is a 10.8.4 screenshot of OpenGL Extensions Viewer:

post-620531-0-48251300-1370389265_thumb.png

I'm happy to confirm that Quartz Extreme with Core Image continues to work well on 10.8.4. :) Those that cannot enable Quartz Extreme can continue to enable Core Image without any issues.

Again updating is not mandatory. It is your choice whether or not to do so. However those that are still on 10.8.2 need to move forward to either 10.8.3 or 10.8.4. It is recommended.

Have you noticed any other issues with 10.8.4 update?

Do you need to patch fb again for this version, or you can use patched fb from 10.8.3? And if you need to patch fb again, which fb do you patch exactly?

Is there some kind of default fb we can use, or something like that?

I'm asking you this, because I want to update and I've read that 10.8.4 had some improvements in terms of graphics card performance.

Cheers

Lets me undertand you....if I patched my FB, i don't have to wait for the 10.8.4 QE/CI package or if I do so, i will lost QE/CI?

Or if you can't wait, Vertek's patcher should be able to do the job and patch your own framebuffer for compatibility. Again all credit goes to Verteks who has secretly disappeared from the community. :ph34r:

With every release of OS X, you must patch the framebuffer again. You cannot use a previous version. Yes you can patch and fix your own framebuffer without waiting for my QE/CI package. Everything is there for you but I create this package for those that are either new to the hackintosh experience or for those who don't have time.

Edit: Download Link posted.

• Like 2

Well, this is my performance:

k5545k.png

Anyway playing chess is like playing Battlefield 3 with our card..

I've also noticed that putting my laptop in sleep a moment and after that waking up the temperatures lower:

30swwep.png

Obviously the 128° is a bug..

my Iron Fist King gives 6 fps.

I found the problem: Google says our intel HD 1st gen (in particular 5700mhd) supports shader model 4.0. If fact, when i launch WOW and go into settings it says that my video doesn't support shader model 2.0!!!

Please help us, I'm not alone with my problem as I see through this topic...

Look at these square leafs in the corner..

Thanks in advance for any help

EDIT: tried different os-info (there are 3 variants) - didn't help. Can't make sense where to dig...

post-781497-0-77922700-1370814489_thumb.png

It would be great if there was someone here that had a 2010 MacBook Pro and tested games and OpenGL running only on integrated graphics. That way we can compare compatibility problems and FPS issues. If they are the same, then this is Apple's fault. I read an interesting discussion forum on the Apple support forums here and it talks about users using only Intel HD Graphics to save battery life. Same as you guys report, there are issues of lag even on an official Apple product.

They did report that as of 10.8.4, performance and issues have been improved. So far I've seen a bit lag here and there, but even official Apple customers encounter similar issues.

Wonder if Apple engineers wanted us PC users to enable QE/CI for research purposes since we would be great test subjects for integrated graphics. I just find it odd that out of nowhere someone discovered how to enable QE/CI. It's really strange.

@andrio.b What are your computer specs? What kexts do you have loaded? You can use KextStat to find out.

• Like 1

@andrio.b What are your computer specs? What kexts do you have loaded? You can use KextStat to find out.

Thanks for your reply. Added tech specs to signature. Sorry for not having done it before.

We still can't find the reason... Some hackintoshes get full qe/ci, some get OpenGL issue.. We have different revisions but same Dev and Ven IDs, some of us have optimus (mine is propertly disabled) and some of us do not...

By the way, I tried different os-info, and even when I saw "No Display" though VNC, graphics issue was still there (launched WOW for test).

I've tried alternative and alternative2 info.plist for AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB - same result... What else can we try?

Please, anybody, help us to make sense...

After some time, I also going to make an attempt to get the Intel HD to work:

ASUS K52Jc

Intel 520-M

nVidia Geforce 310M

OS X 10.8.4

Yes, it is an Optimus-system..

First attempt:

Booting (Ubuntu) Linux, using the following info:

FDI_RXA_CTL: 0x*** (enable, train pattern not train, port width X1, ...)

PCH_LVDS: 0x***(enabled, pipe A, 18 bit, 1 channel)

So I used the following command:

$ ./hdgraphics_patcher -w 1 -p LVDS AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB
Patching using the following options:

DualLink mode:    No
 Link width:       X1
 Output ports:     LVDS 

Patch success

Tried to boot, hanging at macx_swapon SUCCESS

Second attempt:

./hdgraphics_patcher -w 1 -p LVDS+VGA AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB

DualLink mode:    No
 Link width:       X1
 Output ports:     LVDS VGA 

Patch success

Also hanging at macx_swapon SUCCESS

To be clear, if I remove the AppleIntelHD*.kext, I can boot into OS X without any problems. I also get my native resolution. (1366x768)

I also tried the alternative provided kexts. The strange thing is that I get a LCD-output, but with a different LW. Also is unreadable.

I hope someone can help or point me to a right direction.

If more info is needed, please let me know. :)

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. Added tech specs to signature. Sorry for not having done it before.

We still can't find the reason... Some hackintoshes get full qe/ci, some get OpenGL issue.. We have different revisions but same Dev and Ven IDs, some of us have optimus (mine is propertly disabled) and some of us do not...

By the way, I tried different os-info, and even when I saw "No Display" though VNC, graphics issue was still there (launched WOW for test).

I've tried alternative and alternative2 info.plist for AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB - same result... What else can we try?

Please, anybody, help us to make sense...

It kind of seems that users with Optimus have this low FPS issue, but I don't think that's the reason. What I do know is that one the kexts that you have installed is throttling your Intel HD Graphics IGPU. It can't be software based because then I should have the same issues as well.

Try deleting all NVIDIA kexts, and if you use Natit, inject that information onto your DSDT and delete that kext too.

After some time, I also going to make an attempt to get the Intel HD to work:

ASUS K52Jc

Intel 520-M

nVidia Geforce 310M

OS X 10.8.4

Yes, it is an Optimus-system..

First attempt:

Booting (Ubuntu) Linux, using the following info:

FDI_RXA_CTL: 0x*** (enable, train pattern not train, port width X1, ...)

PCH_LVDS: 0x***(enabled, pipe A, 18 bit, 1 channel)

So I used the following command:

$ ./hdgraphics_patcher -w 1 -p LVDS AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB

DualLink mode: No
Link width: X1
Output ports: LVDS

Patch success

Tried to boot, hanging at macx_swapon SUCCESS

Second attempt:

./hdgraphics_patcher -w 1 -p LVDS+VGA AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB

DualLink mode: No
Link width: X1
Output ports: LVDS VGA

Patch success

Also hanging at macx_swapon SUCCESS

To be clear, if I remove the AppleIntelHD*.kext, I can boot into OS X without any problems. I also get my native resolution. (1366x768)

I also tried the alternative provided kexts. The strange thing is that I get a LCD-output, but with a different LW. Also is unreadable.

I hope someone can help or point me to a right direction.

If more info is needed, please let me know. :)

Thanks

Your native resolution is 1366x768 right? Now the problem here is whether the framebuffer is injecting the os-info information. Usually it hangs when the framebuffer fails to inject this information. Either use Natit or do the DSDT hack in my guide. That should work unless you have another kext problem.

Hi GhostRaider,

Thanks for looking at my setup. I'm now using the DSDT-mode as in the first post (Please don't mind the name, I just put it there so a could search on it :P):

EDIT:

By disabling GraphicsInjection I now only see one device, instead of two (Don't mind the name, not correct set in DSDT):

Still hanging at the same point..

I tried it again, but still the system hang at boot. There are no nVidia-kexts loaded, so I don't think removing them will help.

I'm running latest Clover rev.

What could be the problem? Aarghh.. I really don't buy an Optimus laptop again.

Something is wrong. You need to delete Natit.kext if you haven't because for some reason I see AAPL00 DualLink in IORegistryExplorer. Your computer uses 1366x768, that is not suppose to appear.

You may also want to try Chameleon Bootloader too to make sure its not Clover.

Something is wrong. You need to delete Natit.kext if you haven't because for some reason I see AAPL00 DualLink in IORegistryExplorer. Your computer uses 1366x768, that is not suppose to appear.

You may also want to try Chameleon Bootloader too to make sure its not Clover.

Hi GhostRaider,

Finally I have got the Intel HD to work. It's a bit slow, but I read others also have this issue.

What was needed:

- A patched/modded DSDT. It's important to search for the right Intel HD address. I recommend to do a Darwin Dump to be sure (check with lspci) or you may insert the required data into the wrong GFX0.

- Natit.kext should not be needed when using a patched DSDT

- As smbios I switched to MacBookPro6,2. I don't know if this was required

- Patched with ./hdgraphics_patcher -w 1 -p LVDS+VGA AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB

- Disabled GraphicsInjector

- Edited Info.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB 8.12.47</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>8.12.47</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>8.1.2</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
<key>AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<key>FBCControl</key>
<dict>
<key>Compression</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
<key>FeatureControl</key>
<dict>
<key>FBC</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>GPUInterruptHandling</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Gamma</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>MaximumSelfRefreshLevel</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PowerStates</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>RSTimerTest</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>RenderStandby</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Watermarks</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB</string>
<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
<string>0x03000000</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x468086 0x428086</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>80000</integer>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>IOSourceVersion</key>
<string>8.12.47</string>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>NSHumanReadableCopyright</key>
<string>Copyright © 1999-2012 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.</string>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
<key>com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily</key>
<string>1.2</string>
<key>com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily</key>
<string>1.3</string>
<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
<string>1.1</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>
<string>8.0.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
<string>8.0.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
<string>8.0.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
<string>8.0.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>
<string>8.0.0</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I would like to know what the FeatureControl flags do. Anyone more info? (Should I set GPUInterruptHandling?)

A big thanks goes out to all members on this forum. Without their post (in the past) I never wouldn't got it to work. :)

DSDT.dsl.zip

AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext.zip

To give you an idea about the actual performance of the Arrandale graphic chip (i3-380M), here is a test with OpenGL Extensions Viewer (v4.1.0) under Windows 7 Ultimate.

I checked the graphics settings for test are the same as on OSX.

post-1159404-0-08203900-1370942259_thumb.png

The following result can not be compared to that of OSX, and the huge difference confirms that there is indeed something wrong.

post-1159404-0-66070300-1370942266_thumb.png

According to tests published by GhostRaider and others on the net, I'm sure OSX can perfectly exploit the potential of this iGPU.

It is true that the performance under Windows is still better but this is about 10% or 20% max.

A lot more smoother interface now:

<key>Vendor8086Device0046</key>
<dict>
<key>BoostPState</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>2</integer>
<integer>3</integer>
</array>
<key>BoostTime</key>
<array>
<integer>3</integer>
<integer>3</integer>
<integer>3</integer>
<integer>3</integer>
</array>
<key>Heuristic</key>
<dict>
<key>ID</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>IdleInterval</key>
<integer>100</integer>
<key>SensorOption</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Threshold_High</key>
<array>
<integer>70</integer>
<integer>87</integer>
<integer>96</integer>
<integer>100</integer>
</array>
<key>Threshold_High_v</key>
<array>
<integer>70</integer>
<integer>87</integer>
<integer>96</integer>
<integer>100</integer>
</array>
<key>Threshold_Low</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>70</integer>
<integer>87</integer>
<integer>92</integer>
</array>
<key>Threshold_Low_v</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>70</integer>
<integer>87</integer>
<integer>92</integer>
</array>
</dict>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>16</integer>
<key>max-power-state</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>min-power-state</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>

I tested OpenGL on Windows 8 and on OS X and here are the results:

post-620531-0-44495800-1370980260_thumb.png post-620531-0-87342000-1370980425_thumb.png

First is the cube:

post-620531-0-97903800-1370980074_thumb.png post-620531-0-51077100-1370980068_thumb.png

Second is the multiple cube:

post-620531-0-75696700-1370980160_thumb.png post-620531-0-44911000-1370980200_thumb.png

Third is the Iron Fist Boxer head:

post-620531-0-55445800-1370980225_thumb.png post-620531-0-34989000-1370980211_thumb.png

Fourth is multiple Iron Fist Boxer heads:

post-620531-0-72835800-1370980254_thumb.png post-620531-0-84275800-1370980247_thumb.png

Comparing both Windows 8 and OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4, there are performance differences among the two. The one that stands out more is the multiple Iron Fist Boxer. The test struggles on Windows while on OS X, there is a bit more FPS.

*Again tests were taken on a Intel Core i5 430M at 1366x768 fullscreen.

has anybody tried to patch 10.9 FB? it says "Invalid kext file size" ...

Maybe the kext is corrupted? It's not final so expect problems.

• Like 1

So, i like trying out new stuff and one of those things will be OSX maverick.For now i can say the patcher is not able to patch OSX 10.9 mavericks Fb.It complains about File Size.We may be To "Patch The patcher" or Create a new one.For now lets hope 10.8 FB is forward compatible.

So for some reason the installation decided not to copy proper hd kexts (missing some plist) ,which i believe was error on my part.I corrected the issue and for now using 10.8.4 Frambuffer till i have a look at 10.9 Frambuffer later.

The Install works but will look @ GL stuff and Performance later.

I want to confirm my hypothesis about performance differences between i3 and i5/i7. Im just 6made some tests... when in a same laptop I use an i3-370m i obtain 6-8 fps in iron fist gl tests... when i put i5-540m the performance is between 270 - 350 fps. No modification of any plist or dsdt... the i3-370m is 2.4ghz and the i5-540m is nominal 2.53ghz.

I get 200-270 fps in Iron Fist Boxing KING (only 1 face spinning) on my i3 370m.

I've also noticed that my GPU is having some troubles when putting full screen, scrolling and performing these tests.

I'm hearing some weird sound, something similar to squealing, nothing major, but enough to be noticed.

@GhostRaider

@2bad0

I found the problem with the patcher. I decompiled part of code and verteks added a check on the filesize. If it's different from 131.384KB the error appears. The 10.9 FB has 137.536KB filesize.

It must be 131.384KB to execute the patches.

If you want to bypass the patcher, you can compare the framebuffer (e.g. original, singlelink x1 lvds+vga) and manually edit the 10.9 fb with the right values. WARNING: I checked. Some values changed, and you need to pay more attention.

For the OpenGL problem.. well.. verteks said: "the other AppleIntelHDGraphics* kexts provide hardware acceleration (QE/CI/OpenGL/Video playback).". We should edit the kext AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle I think.