OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Use 7-zip to extract and you'll find a folder called "1" next to the xml file. Check attachment.

Hi modbin,

Thanks for that, it seems the issue is I was extracting in OSX not W7.

I replaced the the entire EFI folder with the one from '1' and I also replaced the bootmgr.efi that is in the main folder of the wininstall drive at separate times and tried to boot with no luck.

I'm guessing I'm doing something pretty dumb thats preventing this from working.

Thanks,

Matt

here’s a question: do you guys know how to get the apple boot screen to display at full 1920x1080? It’s all squished on mine booting with the GTX 690. Is it just the card? Can I force it by editing the boot plist? Is that necessary? I was out of the game for a few years so I’m not really up on boot loaders and boot plist editing, but since I’m not using a boot loader anyway I don’t even know if that’s an option. A precursory search doesn’t really turn up anything useful. If anybody could point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.

Sounds like you still don't use bootmgfw.efi to boot. But instead the old cdboot.efi. Navigate to efi\microsoft\boot\ on your usb stick and delete cdboot.efi. Then copy bootmgfw.efi from the install.wim there and rename it to cdboot.efi.

Or just burn a DVD :P

Hi yall!

Finally got my board running with Mavericks (nice work btw - was relatively painless once I managed to get a booting installer) , flashed to 828 bios and an i5 3570K, 4GB of RAM, 2 SSDs... boots in 4 seconds!

However... I also bought 2 radeon 7750s low profile (Sapphire + HIS), has anyone managed to get any of these (or other radeon 7750) to work on this board under Mavericks (no problems with Linux Mint)? I get a black screen at boot - sometimes the quo (bios prompt) screen (bios init graphics was set to auto).

I've tried the following, one card at a time:

- Load optimized defaults (828 bios), default for init display is auto -> black screen, reboot, black screen reboot, black screen-> QUO logo, booting OS (presumably) -> black screen

- Bios set init graphics to PCIe (no IGPU) -> QUO logo - but then thats it- black on black...

These GPUs have been to proven to work almost vanilla on other hacks, I'm guessing this should be the same. ATIController7000.kext (I think that's how it's written) is present.

Any hints oh masterful ones?

Cheers

S.

------------------------------------

JONSBO S1 htpc case

QUO AOS m/board

Core i5 3570K

Corsair XMS3 4GB

2x 128GB + 1x 64GB SSD

Cheap ass noisy dvd burner (yuck)

Sounds like you still don't use bootmgfw.efi to boot. But instead the old cdboot.efi. Navigate to efi\microsoft\boot\ on your usb stick and delete cdboot.efi. Then copy bootmgfw.efi from the install.wim there and rename it to cdboot.efi. Or just burn a DVD :P

Worked perfect, thanks for your help!

Now I'm of course getting problems with windows telling me it won't install because my partition isn't GPT (it is).

It's rather funny thy the most challenge part of building this computer is getting windows to run. Osx has been running perfect since the first attempt.

Cool that it finally worked for you! You get the error message from Windows Setup because DiskUtility creates a hybrid MBR on GPT disks. MS Windows fails to handle this (on install). But it's a simple fix. Download gptfdisk aka gdisk and write a new protective MBR.

• Like 1

Just a bumb, cause I am still looking for a reply to this - right now I am stuck with the internal graphics, which suck for anything else except basic tasks...

Mind you my problem concerns usage under Windows 8

I wanted to reply to this just to let you know you are not alone… I'm running Mac OS X with no problem and my GTX760 works fantastically, but Windows is a pain. I was able to get it to work for over a month by setting up Windows on integrated graphics, installing my card's drivers, then finally changing the setting for IGPU. This morning when I turned on my computer, no more Windows video.

I've given up for now on getting Windows (7 or 8) to work on this system, it's not worth the amount of trial and error I've had to go through.

Has anybody tried booting from an external Firewire device and succeeded? I have a G Technology Raid device I used to boot from on all my Apple boxes in case of need. Is there any experience in this fabulous group? Any twist or tweak in the BIOS which would allow this or do I have to resort to internal stuff or USB instead? 

I wanted to reply to this just to let you know you are not alone… I'm running Mac OS X with no problem and my GTX760 works fantastically, but Windows is a pain. I was able to get it to work for over a month by setting up Windows on integrated graphics, installing my card's drivers, then finally changing the setting for IGPU. This morning when I turned on my computer, no more Windows video.

I've given up for now on getting Windows (7 or 8) to work on this system, it's not worth the amount of trial and error I've had to go through.

Well, I am typing from the phone right now, but the short version of how I sorted my problem was to flash the 828 bios version from the "secret" webpage as opposed to the one that is shared on the wiki.

They are supposed to be the same but... Using the other one I managed to ignore the guides and completely disable internal GPU and all worked.

• Like 1

Really annoying issue I just started having. I've been using a bluetooth dongle since I got my quo running 10.9. I've had no issues since the install. I unfortunately don't know the make of the dongle but I don't think it's the problem. In my Bluetooth settings I can't change anything. Can't delete a device, turn bluetooth off, make discoverable, connect to device. Nothing at all. Under now discoverable as it reads "CSR-bc4" which I don't believe was what it said before. So I really don't know what happened to make my bluetooth work anymore. Any help would be great.

Well, I am typing from the phone right now, but the short version of how I sorted my problem was to flash the 828 bios version from the "secret" webpage as opposed to the one that is shared on the wiki.

They are supposed to be the same but... Using the other one I managed to ignore the guides and completely disable internal GPU and all worked.

Thanks for the reply! Any chance I could get the link you used to get the version of the 828 firmware that worked for you?

Thanks for the reply! Any chance I could get the link you used to get the version of the 828 firmware that worked for you?

https://mrq7bqbfgwmjzd5m.tor2web.org/

I used that one - after that it worked. I first tried with an ASUS GTX 760 that didn't work. I replaced it with an MSI GTX760 and although in the beginning it gave me problems, it worked fine with the other firmware

Cool that it finally worked for you! You get the error message from Windows Setup because DiskUtility creates a hybrid MBR on GPT disks. MS Windows fails to handle this (on install). But it's a simple fix. Download gptfdisk aka gdisk and write a new protective MBR.

Yes, thanks for your help! I tried doing the following with gdisk to get the protective mbr and still the disk was not recognizable by the windows 7 installer. 

I must have messed something up somewhere along the line here.. I've never had such a hard time installing windows on a mac, or in general for that matter.

http://superuser.com/questions/508026/windows-detects-gpt-disk-as-mbr-in-efi-boot

Self encrypting disks

Folks, 

I have been wondering about self encrypting disks on the AOS. Is there a BIOS (Oz) switch that allows recognition of SEDs? Or does anyone of you have a recommendation for a SATA controller that would have a BIOS and would pop up the window to enter the different passcodes for SEDs? This is one of the features missing in the original, and I thought the copy should be better than the original.  :P Maybe a kind soul can share info?

Is USB 3 fully supported (OTB) without adding any kexts?  Same question with the Thunderbolt and is this Thunderbolt version 1 or 2?

Once I receive it I have to install a different Bios firmware to get full 10.9.1 support or the stock one it comes with will be fine?

Thanks

Is USB 3 fully supported (OTB) without adding any kexts?  Same question with the Thunderbolt and is this Thunderbolt version 1 or 2?

Once I receive it I have to install a different Bios firmware to get full 10.9.1 support or the stock one it comes with will be fine?

Thanks

Read the wiki .... http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS

Thunderbolt is v1, USB3 is present on current macs so should work OOTB.

• Like 1

Read the wiki .... http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS

Thunderbolt is v1, USB3 is present on current macs so should work OOTB.

Thanks for that Information.  I have the Nvidia GT 640 which  currently works OOTB with GE=no.  I don't see it as one of the recommended cards in the list, will this one be any problem in the QUO?

Some of the Nvidia cards are experiencing OpenCL issues in 10.9.1.  Will this be the case with this MB to or does the 3rd partly firmware take care of that? 

One more question will the Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4modules) either the 1600 or 1866 models function correctly?  They both default to 1333Mhz and in order to get the higher speed XMP or equivalent has to be enabled in the Bios.

Thanks

Looking for a way to tap into the  FireWire 800 interface of the board … anyone has a working solution ? 

+1

I have contacted QUO about this several times, always told that they are working on getting stock of header cables and would let me know, its been many months like this. What a total waste. I tried to find some online but it seems most of the ones coming from china are special order only with large minimum quantities. There were a couple DIY type options from other companies but they would cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone have a source or working method for actually using the FW800 ports?

g\

This is a most interesting thread, and I'm still reading all of the posts, so I'll keep my questions to my own reading for a while anyway :)

I upgraded the bios to oz 828m , used all the defaults, native hdmi and snow leopard.  It booted right up from the dvd and installed in no time.  I upgraded to Lion and then to Mavericks.  I could have skipped Lion and upgraded straight to Mavericks, but I wanted to have the experience of all 3.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Information.  I have the Nvidia GT 640 which  currently works OOTB with GE=no.  I don't see it as one of the recommended cards in the list, will this one be any problem in the QUO?

Some of the Nvidia cards are experiencing OpenCL issues in 10.9.1.  Will this be the case with this MB to or does the 3rd partly firmware take care of that? 

One more question will the Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4modules) either the 1600 or 1866 models function correctly?  They both default to 1333Mhz and in order to get the higher speed XMP or equivalent has to be enabled in the Bios.

Thanks

Wiki is based on info gathered from this thread, that doens't mean it's exclusive. We have two major variables with this board: 1. any hardware that deviates from proven, 2 a custom 'grey area' bios which gives us the advertised AOS functionality (personally that's my main pickle with this board - no disrespect to the bios devs - quite to the contrary -  infortunately when things don't work as advertised, the devs have no obligation to QUO i'm guessing and we're basically at their mercy, or go tonyhack which is kinda an insult to this board's potential).

Bottom line is try and test for yourself, like the rest of us. We're all walking on grey lines here... ;-)

=> FAO the forum moderators, can we pin the link to the wiki as 1st post to this thread?