Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

well sure blame me! I strive to keep this zip up to date and working. sorry if it broke someones system. Recently, i moved to GitHub for the zip to keep a history of releases. so folks have options.

why update? There are some changes in macOS that requires a newer Clover. but some then some changes in Clover after 4052 to simply things for the GFX config seems to backfire.

but also note some of the recent posts have been for people changing to FHD screen.

* which are out of scope for my standard guide* - The zip and guide support the T420 for standard LCD - 1366x768 or 1600x900. Anything beyond this laptop, is going to require some extra tweaking or retrofit.

I'm pretty sure nobody has the right to blame you tluck in case something goes wrong. You do this in your freetime for free. Without this guide I would definitely have not tried to install macOS and would have not bought my T420 in the first place.

So thank you for putting the effort into this.

• Like 1

Everything has been working great, my only issue now is if the system is booted up VGA does not detect anything.

If I put the display to monitor before boot it will come up but the screen is glitchy and shakes, the resolution is not right either.

yes - VGA is passive and will not actively detect a monitor. It is not really supported by macOS. I use a DP to VGA adaptor that will autodetect a monitor. 

what is the native resolution of your external monitor? you should be able to change it with the System Prefs Display?

i'm very happy to use my T420 thanks to tluck :)

my company will switch to HP EliteBook 820 840 G2  (also hackintoshable)

but i think that i'll stay on lenovo and buy a T460 because of the great job tluck done for us here.

huge thanks to TLUCK :)

• Like 1

@tluck

Just a quick update, BIOS flashed and Sierra up and running. Can't believe how much better the 1600x900 screen is over the non-IPS x220 display.

Well done tluck and keep up the hard work. This thread is a goldmine of information. Thank you.

• Like 1

well sure blame me! I strive to keep this zip up to date and working. sorry if it broke someones system. Recently, i moved to GitHub for the zip to keep a history of releases. so folks have options.

why update? There are some changes in macOS that requires a newer Clover. but some then some changes in Clover after 4052 to simplifly things for the GFX config seems to backfire.

but also note some of the recent posts have been for people changing to FHD screen.

* which are out of scope for my standard guide* - The zip and guide support the T420 for standard LCD - 1366x768 or 1600x900. Anything beyond this laptop, is going to require some extra tweaking or retrofit.

I can´t believe you missunderstood me. Not possible after all the times i gave thanks to you and expressed admiration for your work. Even in private.

I prefere to think that you like sarcasm or rude. Or just a dumb outside computers.

So, one more time, same as you can read in the post, thanks for this great job.

What I meant, obviously, is that beyond some point in the journay, most people should be just enjoying the results on your work.

But I of course know that is that actitude that lead us to this results.

Simply,  beyond some point the Work/Results turns out not worthy. Even, sometimes creates more problems that are solved.

As always, I just express my opinion. If you prefere to think that way, go ahead, I don´t care for a single second.

It´s your problem, not mine.

@trifero - my longtime friend, I wasn't offended at all - or took it the wrong way at all.  it's all good. no problem here. you are welcome. sincerely welcome.

questions for the forum:

i have added the Lenovo T420 Conexant 20590/20672 to AppleALC.kext

for now I replaced usr-sse2's implementation for the Yoga as it was using ID 12 - which is very close to T420.

anyway...

is there interest to move that HDA kext solution instead of the AppleHDA_20762.kext?

does anyone use the Dock audio profile?

and then again, this may fall under the category: why fix it if it is not broken?!

• Like 1

@trifero - my longtime friend, I wasn't offended at all - or took it the wrong way at all.  it's all good. no problem here. you are welcome. sincerely welcome.

questions for the forum:

for now I replaced usr-sse2's implementation for the Yoga as it was using ID 12 - which is very close to T420.

anyway...

is there interest to move that HDA kext solution instead of the AppleHDA_20762.kext?

and then again, this may fall under the category: why fix it if it is not broken?!

Hi tluck,

Does this effect audio or something else?

I don't use a docking station and don't plan using it either.

Thanks.

appleALC is generalized HDA implementation and supports a wide variety of audio codecs (on Hackintosh). https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC

seems to work well for me. try it out.

remove /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext

and install these 2 kexts (in the attached zip) instead.

unzip the zip say in Downloads

cd ~/Downloads/AppleALC_Lenovo
chown -R 0:0 *.kext
chmod go-w *.kext
sudo cp -a *.kext /Library/Extensions
sudo mv /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext.NU
sudo kextcache -i /

AppleALC_Lenovo.zip

• Like 2

seems to work well for me. try it out.

remove /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext

and install these 2 kexts (in the attached zip) instead.

How do I install them after removing AppleHDA?

Should I just rename AppleHDA or remove it completely from the Extensions folder?

unzip the zip say in Downloads:

cd ~/Downloads/AppleALC_Lenovo
chown -R 0:0 *.kext
chmod go-w *.kext
sudo cp -a *.kext /Library/Extensions
sudo mv /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext.NU
sudo kextcache -i /

So far so good.

I don't experience the headphone pluging issue anymore. However the volume is a bit low even at maximum level but it was similar with the AppleHDA kext too so this is not new.

questions for the forum:

anyway...

@tluck

Thank for this, it can solved the "plug-in/pull-out"?

AppleALC_Lenovo installes here with no problem as explain in post 3515

sound is ok here

increasing sound in finder with the Button make no more sound, but everything works here

can be added in pack for me :)

Thanks tluck

---

i found this :

#12             and

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hibernationfixup/?SetFreedomCookie

and this

[Guide] USB power property injection for Sierra

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-usb-power-property-injection-for-sierra.222266/

• Like 1

@tetonne - thank you for pointing us to this new post on USB in Sierra. i think we are all set for the T420 as is. This did point out what i needed to do for my T460!!!

thanks much.

$ ioreg -l | grep kUSB | head -3

| |   |   |   "kUSBSleepSupported" = Yes
    | |   |   |   "kUSBWakePortCurrentLimit" = 2100
    | |   |   |   "kUSBSleepPortCurrentLimit" = 2100

$ ioreg -l | grep -v Kit | grep -v Config | grep AppleBusPowerController
    | | +-o AppleBusPowerControllerUSB  <class AppleBusPowerControllerUSB, id 0x100000211, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 6>
    | |       "IOClass" = "AppleBusPowerControllerUSB"
    | |       "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.AppleBusPowerController"
    | |       "IOMatchCategory" = "AppleBusPowerController"

Edited by tluck

Tluck, I am getting somewhere. I moved the dsdt.edid.ami to the patched folder and renamed it dsdt.ami and made Intel gtf false. I was able to reinstall MacOS, but when I boot into it for the first time( or any time) the bar loads and the screen goes black again. Any suggestions? 

Nvm, I feel dumb. I was booting off the old clover bootloader instead of off the usb with the correct efi settings. Opps

Is it possible to use FileVault 2 with Clover and this configuration (T420/T420s) ?

I've tried to enable it after install - it rebooted but 

- Regular boot: i got a warning circle icon

- Recovery : I was unable to enter passphrase

Is it possible to use FileVault 2 with Clover and this configuration (T420/T420s) ?

I've tried to enable it after install - it rebooted but 

- Regular boot: i got a warning circle icon

- Recovery : I was unable to enter passphrase

Yeah there don't seem to be any input-drivers for firevault that work with the T420s (and probably the T420).

I spend a few hours on getting it to work but ultimately failed to do so because I couldn't enter the password either.

If you have trouble disabling firevailt again (I know I did) boot to recovery and follow these instructions. After the revert command you can reboot your notebook and it should boot into macOS again.