Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,274 posts in this topic

@thubaggins - maybe you should install Clover from here instead of my build to see if it works for your wifi card?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/Clover_v2.3k_r3859.zip/download

@somez - about half the time TrackPoint (and upper buttons) are inoperable at boot. but work after a sleep/wake cycle. I have no ideas why?

I've tried that and still not working :(

Downloading right now...

Is this the one from El Capitan and that has to be reinstalled after every reboot?

Thanks.

Nop. Just as the last advice I gave you about the keys for brightness, it´s not my merit at all. I have just updated for my sister an X220 to Sierra. It´s all in the instructions for X200.

I don´t know if I can post it here. Please, advice if I´m doing wrong and will retire the link.

http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com

But every time you reboot, you must activate the settings again just by clicking in Preference Pane

Nop. Just as the last advice I gave you about the keys for brightness, it´s not my merit at all. I have just updated for my sister an X220 to Sierra. It´s all in the instructions for X200.

I don´t know if I can post it here. Please, advice if I´m doing wrong and will retire the link.

http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com

But every time you reboot, you must activate the settings again just by clicking in Preference Pane

Oh god, now i understand! I'm aware of this website too and it's pretty good.

I've copied the file to move to System/Library/PreferencePanes and it's working well.

Thanks.

You are welcome, Somez. True is than my “old” X220 with IPS panel makes me look at at my present Macbook Air with some “lost something” feel…

Hehe. I don't think current Airs are so terrible. I would've bought one already if I could afford it, but this T420 cost 1/5th of the price of the current 11" Air you can buy in Hungary so it was a nobrainer to me.

I owned a G4 Mac Mini before, then an Intel iMac, then the first aluminium unibody MacBook from 2009 so I would really buy an Apple hardware again if I could. However this hackintosh thing went so well with the T420 that my wife is now willing to switch to an EliteBook 8470 with macOS. She doesn't like the look of Lenovos :D 

Here is another update.

• The scrolling with the touchpad is not as smooth as it was. On El Capitan it was almost as smooth as on a real Mac, now it's even worse.
  • Touchpad preferences pane is still blank.
  • Right-click by double-taping on the touchpad does not work.

@Somez. to get the right click you need to make sure the other touch commands work, dragging, left muose click (single finger tap etc).

Once it's confirmed you need to enable right click in voodootrackpad.kext. The right click will work with two finger tap. I have reported that in previous posts. Search in this forum.

@Somez. to get the right click you need to make sure the other touch commands work, dragging, left muose click (single finger tap etc).

Once it's confirmed you need to enable right click in voodootrackpad.kext. The right click will work with two finger tap. I have reported that in previous posts. Search in this forum.

Actually the two finger tap right-click has started working right after I copied the Trackadprefpane from El Capitan, so it's good now.

wow. confirmed. the scrolling is indeed very jittery now using 2 finger trackpad scroll with Sierra 10.12.1. i checked to make sure it wasnt some the changes i added to improve TrackPoint recently. but configs from a year ago are just as bad if not worse.

scrolling in Safari now seems to trying stop in alignment to lines of text as compared to scrolling with apple magic mouse can leave off anywhere on the page. been playing with the params today and maybe better than it was. but not great. will have to see if RehabMan (kext creator) has some ideas etc. 

when i settle into something i like i can share. 

• Like 1

@Styxie - what did the middle button used to do? i am not aware of new features in VoodooPS2 - just a different configuration of the options.

you can set this option to true to see if behaves the way you like it? that's the way it was set before (default)

/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>FakeMiddleButton</key>

<true/>

Thanks for the suggestion tluck, but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem. I tried several combinations of the FakeMiddleButton option in both VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext and VoodooPS2Mouse.kext, without succes. I even tried installing the 1.8.21 version of the overall VoodooPS2 kext on 10.12.1, but it still crashes, so back to 1.8.24.

The middle mouse button still acts like the left mouse button when pressed down to scroll using the red nipple button.

Even though I am on a X220 I think the keyboard and subsequent driver should be the same between the T420 and X220.

Thanks for the suggestion tluck, but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem. I tried several combinations of the FakeMiddleButton option in both VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext and VoodooPS2Mouse.kext, without succes. I even tried installing the 1.8.21 version of the overall VoodooPS2 kext on 10.12.1, but it still crashes, so back to 1.8.24.

The middle mouse button still acts like the left mouse button when pressed down to scroll using the red nipple button.

Even though I am on a X220 I think the keyboard and subsequent driver should be the same between the T420 and X220.

This is the biggest issue I have right now in Sierra (was working fine in El Cap). Super annoying, you can't scroll using middle button as it lunches every single link that you hover over while scrolling. Same behavior in Safari and Chrome. 

Update. After updating the whole install (clover, kext, config) I was able to update from 10.11.6 (el cap) to 11.12.0 (sierra). Seems like everything is working except getting some strange behavior with tracepoint and middle button (see above post). 

Also some issues with BCM94352HMB AzureWave AW-CE123H but at least for now I was able to resolve it by following updating to latest kexts and adding patch as described here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312759-fix-macos-sierra-dp1-bcm94532z-wifi/?p=2245765 

Holding off from updating to 10.12.1 as it from what I gather it disabled wifi again which for me on laptop is NO GO. 

@styxie - when did the middle scroll work for you on OSX ? i don't ever remember having that function with VoodooPS2Controller? 1.8.24 is needed for sierra - earlier version may crash due to memory allocation bug. 

middle button for me does a cut/paste. so i wonder what is going on with your upper buttons. i had to recode the kext for my T460 as its buttons were using a different protocol.

so i would be interesting to run the debug version to see what is going on with the button presses on the T220.

@roki303 - what system do you have? please it to your signature. thanks for the link to fixes for BRCM wifi.

i will post a new zip soon as i think i fixed the random no-trackpad on boot issue for T420 users.

@styxie... i have to admit I didn't know that middle button + nob scrolled - so i tested on El Cap and Sierra. well i get the same effect on both OS.

in terminal it does a cut/paste of selected text

in a Finder or similar window - just will scroll up/down

in a Safari window - it will scroll up/down  - BUT if the pointer is over a link it will open it in a new tab or window ... so i got about 100 tabs before i stopped.

@roki303 - what system do you have? please it to your signature. thanks for the link to fixes for BRCM wifi.

T420 + AzureWave AW-CE123H (replaced WIFI card).

​Updated from 10.12.0 to 10.12.1 via app store today. No issues. Well, WIFI card stopped working but there is a known workaround at least for now I'm good.

Hi everyone.

Sorry for my language but, unfortunately, I'm not good at English :(

My problem is jumping mouse when connected to the secondary monitor.

When two monitors (laptop and external) are enabled everything is ok.
But when I turn off the external monitor to work on the T420 screen - my mouse going crazy, lags, jumps etc. I turn back a second monitor - again, everything is ok.

I recorded a short video to present my problem.

Normally when I move the mouse cursor suddenly he lags by which interrupts and jumps on ...

What could be the reason?

Unfortunately, I do not know what causes this problem when connect with a DVI cable but the problem disappeared when I connected monitor by DisplayPort :)

---

Too early to be enjoyed - another problem:

When I turn the laptop and external monitor from the very beginning - everything is ok.

When I turn on the laptop and I want to turn on the external monitor - the picture does not show - monitor is detected, but no picture :(

Someone had a problem of this type? :(

---

I forgot to add that this happens only on a workstation, displayport the laptop does not cause this problem.

Edited by galaretka

@roki303 - thanks for the Brcm fixes - saved me a lot of searching as i just just upgraded my T460 that has Dell 1560 (Brcm94352)

@galaretka - do mean the DisplayPort on a docking station? hmm.  i have been using DP on my Dock to my HP monitor without issue for 3 years. Note: DVI on Dock is not available if you use the VGA patch. 

@Supuksorn - zip attached to the end of the Guide in this thread (aka best answer - or see link in my signature)

• Like 1

Yes, tluck - DisplayPort on a docking station.

I do not know why DP a laptop running ok - docking station not :( maybe something with my config? :(

(when I used DVI - I turned off VGA patch)

I turn on the external monitor when the system is already loaded, laptop screen flashes once and nothing happens to the external monitor (black screen) :(

@styxie... i have to admit I didn't know that middle button + nob scrolled - so i tested on El Cap and Sierra. well i get the same effect on both OS.

in terminal it does a cut/paste of selected text

in a Finder or similar window - just will scroll up/down

in a Safari window - it will scroll up/down  - BUT if the pointer is over a link it will open it in a new tab or window ... so i got about 100 tabs before i stopped.

This is the behaviour I also get in Sierra, but not was is expected based on my experiences in both El Cap and Yosemite. Scrolling up and down should not trigger the links, all those opening tabs can be quite annoying. 

UltraNavBundle fixes the issue, it looks to be a great alternative to VoodooPS2. I can't disable the trackpad though, sadly. On the upside, the sensitivity can be controlled through the System Preferences Trackpad pane.

@roki303 - thanks for the Brcm fixes - saved me a lot of searching as i just just upgraded my T460 that has Dell 1560 (Brcm94352)

@galaretka - do mean the DisplayPort on a docking station? hmm.  i have been using DP on my Dock to my HP monitor without issue for 3 years. Note: DVI on Dock is not available if you use the VGA patch. 

@Supuksorn - zip attached to the end of the Guide in this thread (aka best answer - or see link in my signature)

Thank you so much for your contribution.

I had successfully installed El Capitan 10.11.6 on my ThinkPad T420i.

It can run very well.

Hd issue help needed :

the issue is on an external 3b HD with 3 visibles partitions when it used to work.

for unknow reason this 3,5" HD was with 2 "space" (partition like?) when i bought it 2 years ago (it was new)
"space" 1 (disk2) with 2 partitions Tower and Backup)

"space" 2 (disk3) with one WINDATA partition

diskutil list
/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.2 TB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Tower                   1.7 TB     disk2s2               HFS+ partition
   3:                  Apple_HFS Backup                  532.8 GB   disk2s3               HFS+ partition
   4:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk2s4

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *801.6 GB   disk3
at less one NTFS missing partition

I've this issue since friday : partitions Tower and backup are Ok, WINDATA is missing

WIN10 tells me "HD signature collision"

---

first problem (on disk2)

How does one change the UUID of a Volume on Mac OS X?

sudo gpt show disk2
       start        size  index  contents
           0           1         PMBR
           1           1         Pri GPT header
           2          32         Pri GPT table
          34           6         
          40      409600      1  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
      409640  3252307856      2  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
  3252717496      262144         
  3252979640  1040718080      3  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
  4293697720     1269536      4  GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
  4294967256           6         
  4294967262          32         Sec GPT table
  4294967294           1         Sec GPT header

in red the 2 UUID

in orange 2 lines that i don't understand

can someone help?

sudo /System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/Contents/Resources/hfs.util -s disk2s3 48465300-1000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

doesn't work (I'm on Sierra)

confirmation here with gdisk

gdisk /dev/disk2
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.1

Warning: Devices opened with shared lock will not have their
partition table automatically reloaded!
Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): i
Partition number (1-4): 2
Partition GUID code: 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC (Apple HFS/HFS+)
Partition unique GUID: 2D310891-0866-4016-AC50-8601EE7BA180
First sector: 409640 (at 200.0 MiB)
Last sector: 3252717495 (at 1.5 TiB)
Partition size: 3252307856 sectors (1.5 TiB)
Attribute flags: 0000000000000000
Partition name: 'Tower'

Command (? for help): i
Partition number (1-4): 3
Partition GUID code: 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC (Apple HFS/HFS+)
Partition unique GUID: 48EF5E4E-A417-4D5E-9666-200CCB72FF76
First sector: 3252979640 (at 1.5 TiB)
Last sector: 4293697719 (at 2.0 TiB)
Partition size: 1040718080 sectors (496.3 GiB)
Attribute flags: 0000000000000000
Partition name: 'New'
diskutil info disk2s2
   Device Identifier:        disk2s2
   Device Node:              /dev/disk2s2
   Whole:                    No
   Part of Whole:            disk2

Volume Name:              Tower
   Mounted:                  Yes
   Mount Point:              /Volumes/Tower

Partition Type:           Apple_HFS
   File System Personality:  HFS+
   Type (Bundle):            hfs
   Name (User Visible):      Mac OS Extended
   Owners:                   Enabled

OS Can Be Installed:      No
   Media Type:               Generic
   Protocol:                 USB
   SMART Status:             Not Supported
   Volume UUID:              53DF6FDA-3FC4-3527-A539-03C18DCCBB29
   Disk / Partition UUID:    2D310891-0866-4016-AC50-8601EE7BA180

Disk Size:                1.7 TB (1665181622272 Bytes) (exactly 3252307856 512-Byte-Units)
   Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

Volume Total Space:       1.7 TB (1665181622272 Bytes) (exactly 3252307856 512-Byte-Units)
   Volume Used Space:        1.3 TB (1281615216640 Bytes) (exactly 2503154720 512-Byte-Units) (77.0%)
   Volume Available Space:   383.6 GB (383566405632 Bytes) (exactly 749153136 512-Byte-Units) (23.0%)
   Allocation Block Size:    4096 Bytes

Read-Only Media:          No
   Read-Only Volume:         No

Device Location:          External
   Removable Media:          Fixed 
diskutil info disk2s3
   Device Identifier:        disk2s3
   Device Node:              /dev/disk2s3
   Whole:                    No
   Part of Whole:            disk2

Volume Name:              Backup
   Mounted:                  Yes
   Mount Point:              /Volumes/Backup

Partition Type:           Apple_HFS
   File System Personality:  Journaled HFS+
   Type (Bundle):            hfs
   Name (User Visible):      Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
   Journal:                  Journal size 40960 KB at offset 0xf88000
   Owners:                   Enabled

OS Can Be Installed:      No
   Media Type:               Generic
   Protocol:                 USB
   SMART Status:             Not Supported
   Volume UUID:              82B8854F-400A-3920-8527-54527EDEB085
   Disk / Partition UUID:    48EF5E4E-A417-4D5E-9666-200CCB72FF76

Disk Size:                532.8 GB (532847656960 Bytes) (exactly 1040718080 512-Byte-Units)
   Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

Volume Total Space:       532.8 GB (532847656960 Bytes) (exactly 1040718080 512-Byte-Units)
   Volume Used Space:        333.1 GB (333076869120 Bytes) (exactly 650540760 512-Byte-Units) (62.5%)
   Volume Available Space:   199.8 GB (199770787840 Bytes) (exactly 390177320 512-Byte-Units) (37.5%)
   Allocation Block Size:    4096 Bytes

Read-Only Media:          No
   Read-Only Volume:         No

Device Location:          External
   Removable Media:          Fixed

second problem (on disk3)

How to repair it

or restore data without format it (it's a NTFS volume)

sudo gpt show disk3
gpt show: error: bogus map
gpt show: unable to open device 'disk3': No such file or directory

Thanks for any tip or help

Edited by Tetonne

@tetonne - pm me.

i dont understand what your problem is ?

you have some sort of external USB box?

and it seems it has  2 disks: disk2 (2 TB) and disk3 (1 TB) - not spaces?

for GUID formatted disk - which it seems you have use gtp, diskutil, or gdisk. fdisk is only for MBR. so dont use that.

but may need to repair disk3 - use disk utility.

02-Nov-2016 Update - new bundle posted in the guide

• Updated to Clover r3898
  • Updated VoodooPS2Controller kext
  • ​-- works with Sierra TrackPad PrefPane - thanks to usr-sse2
  • -- removed Info.plist Symbolic links for Keyboard
  • -- has a few more TrackPad and Keyboard parameter tweaks
  • -- removed custom mappings for F1-F15 for Sierra
  • ​-- TrackPoint less jumpy and jittery on T420

TrackPad/Point scrolling in Sierra is still a bit jumpy as compared to El Cap. 

• Like 1