Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Would the recommendation at this point be to wait until 10.12.1 before upgrading from 10.11.6 or is it fine to upgrade to 10.12.0 and then to .1 once that is available?

On the last attempt I was actually succesfull updating to 10.12.0 via app store but in the process of getting my wifi card to work under Sierra (BCM94352HMB AzureWave AW-CE123H) I must have screwed something up and destroyed the install.

@roki303 - hmm how can you destroy the install? me i would install 10.12.0 and then turn on beta support and install the latest beta. the get extra custom kexts installed carefully to make sure the pre-linked kernel and kextcaches are created before it shuts down. 

@budkin - the middle mouse doesn't scroll for me. it does cut and paste. and before you ask I personally dont know how to make it do scroll. for me, i use 2 finger scroll on the track pad.

@galaretka - pretty weird - never seen that before - do have another mouse plugged in? or other mouse kexts?

@cyndonia - 

after you

1) flash with modded BIOS.

2) install chip/card

Then i believe you will need 4 kexts - https://github.com/RehabMan

• BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
  • FakePCIID.kext
  • FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext

Thanks tluck! Unfortunately when I download these kexts I get a zip file with a folder and a make file; using said make file gives an error, as if it was missing some commands. Am I missing something? I cant see in the Readme file what I need to do for the make file to work...

@cyndonia

The README for each of these repos has instructions and links to bitbucket location for compiled kexts. No need to make them.

Fake pci id set of kexts is to redefine the device to match osx devices

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID/blob/master/README.md

This set is to load the firmware as some chips need dynamic load

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/blob/master/README.md

@thubaggins @galaretka

what does not working mean? device not showing up? or wifi not connecting? etc.

which item/component in the new zip that is causing problems with wifi?

I can only guess CloverX64.efi? so if you roll back just the CloverX64.efi (and Bootx64.efi) files, then wifi works?

then, i would capture the Clover boot.log from when it works and compare it when it doesn't to figure what is different.

bdmesg can generate the log. (part of clover)

@cyndonia

The README for each of these repos has instructions and links to bitbucket location for compiled kexts. No need to make them.

Fake pci id set of kexts is to redefine the device to match osx devices

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID/blob/master/README.md

This set is to load the firmware as some chips need dynamic load

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/blob/master/README.md

Thank you :) works like a charm now! Thought I had to compile it myself.

@tluck - Exactly I do not know :( Just installed clean El Capitan and there was no wifi icon (device not showing up). I was convinced that not plugged her well in laptop but after installing other packages "T420_UEFI-Clover-b3718_10.10_10.11_2016-08-20" everything again works perfectly :)

if you want to help debug the new zip (clover?), reinstall the latest zip and check difference/clues in the clover boot.log

$ cd /Library/Logs/CloverEFI 

$ grep -i air boot.log
4:981  0:000  Found Airport Atheros at 0x1C0001, 0x0, DeviceID=0x002A
4:983  0:000  Start Airport Fix
4:983  0:000  AirportADR=713F add patch size=B0

and then see that Clover adds device ARPT in device EXP2 after method _PRT in the DSDT (not to be confused with APRT)

for me since its and atheros card i get this:

Device (ARPT)
                                                        {
                                                            Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
                                                            Name (_SUN, 0x00000000)  // _SUN: Slot User Number
                                                            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
                                                            {
                                                                Store (Package (0x0C)
                                                                    {
                                                                        "built-in",
                                                                        Buffer (0x01)
                                                                        {
                                                                             0x00                                             /* . */
                                                                        },
                                                                        "model",
                                                                        Buffer (0x10)
                                                                        {
                                                                            "Apple WiFi card"
                                                                        },
                                                                        "subsystem-id",
                                                                        Buffer (0x04)
                                                                        {
                                                                             0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                           /* .... */
                                                                        },
                                                                        "subsystem-vendor-id",
                                                                        Buffer (0x04)
                                                                        {
                                                                             0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00                           /* k... */
                                                                        },
                                                                        "device_type",
                                                                        Buffer (0x08)
                                                                        {
                                                                            "Airport"
                                                                        },
                                                                        "empty",
                                                                        Zero
                                                                    }, Local0)
                                                                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                                                                Return (Local0)
                                                            }
                                                        }

@tluck Thank you for you work, now keyboard is working and I installed Sierra successfully

Another thing I have a problem with is the trackpoint, the middle button behaves weirdly - when I want to scroll in the browser and there is a link under the cursor it doesn't scroll, but instead it clicks the link. Also scrolling in a terminal window highlights the output. It seems like pressing the middle button also activates the left button

I have the exact same problem. I think it was caused by using a newer version of VoodooPS2, as Sierra doesn't support older versions of this driver. I'm on an X220, but I encounter the same problem budkin describes. Hope there's a fix somewhere!

@Styxie - what did the middle button used to do? i am not aware of new features in VoodooPS2 - just a different configuration of the options.

you can set this option to true to see if behaves the way you like it? that's the way it was set before (default)

/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>FakeMiddleButton</key>

<true/>

@tluck

Do Volume and brightness work under 10.12.1 now? Also how about the microphone mute button? I am planning to upgrade to 10.12.1 on my x220 now. Just want to make sure everything works as El Capitan. Thanks for the wonderful package.

Volume and brightness works since 10.12.1 beta 3

@superkwn. i dont know about mic mute, but the other buttons on the PS2 keyboard for speaker mute and volume up/down seem to do what you expect. The Fn+Home/End does weird stuff. So for me, I have switched to using karibiner-elements to map stuff to the F1-F12 keys.

@thubaggins @galaretka

what does not working mean? device not showing up? or wifi not connecting? etc.

which item/component in the new zip that is causing problems with wifi?

I can only guess CloverX64.efi? so if you roll back just the CloverX64.efi (and Bootx64.efi) files, then wifi works?

then, i would capture the Clover boot.log from when it works and compare it when it doesn't to figure what is different.

bdmesg can generate the log. (part of clover)

Yep, 20/10 .zip (wifi symbol show: no hardware installed) > roll back Bootx64.efi 18/9 .zip wifi is ok. Upgrade to 10.12.1 it's not working again (both 20/10 and 18/9 .zip).

thubaggins$ cd /Library/Logs/CloverEFI
thubaggins$ grep -i air boot.log
12:405  0:000  Found Airport BCM at 0x1C0001, 0x0
12:407  0:000  Start Airport Fix
12:407  0:000  AirportADR=6D8C add patch size=F8

:D

Wow, the dedicated keys are working again! Except that the brightness decrease hotkey is also increasing the brightness.

Update: The trackpoint and it's buttons are not working anymore, but I hate it anyways.

Try the <ScrLk> and <Pause> keys

• Like 1

@thubaggins - maybe you should install Clover from here instead of my build to see if it works for your wifi card?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/Clover_v2.3k_r3859.zip/download

@somez - about half the time TrackPoint (and upper buttons) are inoperable at boot. but work after a sleep/wake cycle. I have no ideas why?

• Like 1

@thubaggins - maybe you should install Clover from here instead of my build to see if it works for your wifi card?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/Clover_v2.3k_r3859.zip/download

@somez - about half the time TrackPoint (and upper buttons) are inoperable at boot. but work after a sleep/wake cycle. I have no ideas why?

Actually trifero's suggestion did the trick and the trackpoint is working now :)

Also, scroll lock is working and it's decreasing the brightness.

• Like 1

Here is another update.

• The scrolling with the touchpad is not as smooth as it was. On El Capitan it was almost as smooth as on a real Mac, now it's even worse.
  • Touchpad preferences pane is still blank.
  • Right-click by double-taping on the touchpad does not work.