Lion kernel testing on AMD (don't ask help here: use the Help Topic)

ham4ever

613 posts in this topic

Hello!

Here are my results with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-65 @2.1GHz + HD4570:

LiTz ShAnE build (x86_64) - BEST RESULT:

• super stable
  • runs fine with 10.7.4 and 10.7.5
  • Safari 6 freezes on start (64/32bit)
  • Safari 5.1.7 runs only in 32bit mode, Safari 5.1.7 64bit freezes on start
  • Preview 64bit runs fine (instant idiot reported it not launching, he's got the AMD Athlon II x4 640) as well as every other default Lion application (can't test Chess because of incompatibility in Lion's Quartz.framework that leads to lockup with my current hex edited ATI4600Controller for HD4570)
  • Finder 64bit - buggy, weird behaviour - occasionally non-closable windows showing 0 files until relaunched
  • heavy graphical corruption in CINEBENCH: http://i45.tinypic.com/2rxtoy8.jpg
  • graphical glitches in Chrome when Flash loaded, unless started with '--disable-accelerated-compositing'

Connactic and Bronya's 10.7.5 kernels (i386):

• occasional lockups during booting and in OS (cursor movable)
  • Safari 6 freezes on start (32bit)
  • CINEBENCH OpenGL tests run fine
  • no graphical glitches in Chrome with Flash

Bronya's 10.7.4 kernel (i386/x86_64):

• KP on boot :( ("tsc_init: EFI not supported!") - same as MadMungo's KP, he's got the FX 8350.

@IiTz ShAnE

I read an old post of yours while looking to resolve sleep issues, and was just wondering if you have sleep working on this Lion with your kernel, or bronzovkas x86_64/i386 10.7.5 kernel.

I have 10.7.3 running perfect with bronzovka's kernel, arch=i386 -force64, its stable and running well, arch=x86_64 works okay but has minor issues that keeps me from using that, mostly graphic.

Anyway, I have nullcpupowermanagement and sleepenabler which used to work great when I was booting only i386 but now for some reason it doesnt wor with these new 64 kernels.

Any ideas Shane? anyone? I thought it was a fakesmc issue(i didnt have it) but then I got it and no change there either.

I am having the weirdest thing, I have a HD6570 that work on SL and ML with QI/CI (without the need of GraphicsEnabler) but on Lion, I get just a plain grey screen instead of the desktop. I am using the VGA port gonna try with a DVI adaptor later.

EDIT: Ok it works now, when I used a Nvida 9500GT to boot and update to 10.7.5. Swapped out to the HD6570 and it works QI/CI :D

Thanks guys :D really stable system!!!!

Can someone please help, someone build a Kernel for Lion (or Snow Leopard) to use i386 with SSSE3 emulation instead of SSE3 to test.

I tried to build an old Snow Leopard Voodoo Build myself and even without doing anything to it, it just wouldn't build (if someone can help me with this too please PM me).

Guys I got Bronzovka's Lion 10.7.5 Kernel [12] to boot in native 64bit with the latest Enoch Chameleon Version.

This is on an FX 8350 cpu. I just updated chameleon, and pointed it to the new kernel with arch=x86_64 busratio=20 npci=0x2000 -v

booted straight into the desktop with full QI/CE on my HD 5970 GPU.

My FX8120 is booting with connactics 10.7.5 kernel to the point where the Desktop should show up!

For me, with a GTX660 the 10.7.5 isn´t usable!

With RAW´s 10.7.4 I am able to use the system pretty fine except my graphicscard, but it isnt freezing or anything similar!

Hi, folks!

Well, jumped again to the Lion boat, using Bronzovka's 10.7.4 hybrid 32/64bit kernel. It boot faster than AnV's legacy kernel for Snow Leopard and, in this couple of days i've been running it, it has proven itself even more stable, if that's possible. Way to go, Bronya! So now my days of Snow Leopard are definitely behind. I'll miss Front Row (kind of: QuickTime codec support is pretty lame and perian wasn't playing nice), but i'm so much used now to this newer OSX interface (thanks to ML) that i frequently was finding myself missing natural scroll, launchpad and my iCloud goodies. Not to mention the lot of apps that now i can use because of the widespread OSX10.7 or newer paradigm in the App Store.

Ergo, so long, Snow Leopard. Was a nice time.

I'm using it in 32-bit mode with 64-bit process support, just like i did with 10.6.8. No apocalyptic graphics artifacts with my nVidia GeForce G210 (like i had with 10.7.4's IiTz ShAnE's 64-bit kernel: sorry, man) and the performance is really consistent with which i had with 10.6.8. I think the shutdown time could be faster (in Snow Leopard it was instantaneous) but that's OS version's fault, not kernel's.

I confess: i'm not intending to update it to 10.7.5 for now, since my experience with the newer version was rather frustrating on my AMD rig (i was using my own connactic 10.7.5 kernel, made from R:A:W's 10.7.4 sources, which hadn't the built-in opcode emulator). If some nVidia users report success with 10.7.5, though, i'll be tempted.

Some pics:

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.56.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.57.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.57.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.58.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.59.17 AM.png

Best regards!

UPDATE 1: VMWare Fusion still gives me a KP, just like before with 10.6.8 and AnV's legacy_kernel.

UPDATE 2: All my games work as fine as possible with the hardware i have. Bioshock runs with all configs maxed, while it didn't even open on 10.6.8.

UPDATE 3: My first seemingly random KP in 72 hours: happened when i was trying to install a 10.7.4-compatible Sleepenabler (there aren't many around, and i used that: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2710&page=3). As soon as i typed my password in KextUtility, the dreaded multilingual box of death appeared. Unfortunately, i wasn't in verbose mode, and log log of it persisted in my system, so i cannot be sure of what caused it, since it just repeated the process and nothing happened.

Hi, folks!

Well, jumped again to the Lion boat, using Bronzovka's 10.7.4 hybrid 32/64bit kernel. It boot faster than AnV's legacy kernel for Snow Leopard and, in this couple of days i've been running it, it has proven itself even more stable, if that's possible. Way to go, Bronya! So now my days of Snow Leopard are definitely behind. I'll miss Front Row (kind of: QuickTime codec support is pretty lame and perian wasn't playing nice), but i'm so much used now to this newer OSX interface (thanks to ML) that i frequently was finding myself missing natural scroll, launchpad and my iCloud goodies. Not to mention the lot of apps that now i can use because of the widespread OSX10.7 or newer paradigm in the App Store.

Ergo, so long, Snow Leopard. Was a nice time.

I'm using it in 32-bit mode with 64-bit process support, just like i did with 10.6.8. No apocalyptic graphics artifacts with my nVidia GeForce G210 (like i had with 10.7.4's IiTz ShAnE's 64-bit kernel: sorry, man) and the performance is really consistent with which i had with 10.6.8. I think the shutdown time could be faster (in Snow Leopard it was instantaneous) but that's OS version's fault, not kernel's.

I confess: i'm not intending to update it to 10.7.5 for now, since my experience with the newer version was rather frustrating on my AMD rig (i was using my own connactic 10.7.5 kernel, made from R:A:W's 10.7.4 sources, which hadn't the built-in opcode emulator). If some nVidia users report success with 10.7.5, though, i'll be tempted.

Some pics:

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.56.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.57.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.57.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.58.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 1.59.17 AM.png

Best regards!

UPDATE 1: VMWare Fusion still gives me a KP, just like before with 10.6.8 and AnV's legacy_kernel.

UPDATE 2: All my games work as fine as possible with the hardware i have. Bioshock runs with all configs maxed, while it didn't even open on 10.6.8.

Do 32 and 64 bit apps work with no problems? I will try 10.7.5 later on as I need to reinstall anyway.

Hi, Shane!

Yes, they do: no need to use the insn patcher. Hats off to Bronzovka also for this. Until now, the only major issue is VMWare Fusion not working and crashing the system (that also happened on 10.6.8 with AnV's kernel, though). The crash can be reproduced: it always happen in the moment i try to open the application. In the end, this is an advantage, since it's easier to investigate than a random type of KP. I'll do more testing later today.

Best regards.

My FX8120 is booting with connactics 10.7.5 kernel to the point where the Desktop should show up!

For me, with a GTX660 the 10.7.5 isn´t usable!

Hi, misterfrista: the connactic 10.7.5 should work without issues with your Bulldozer. The problem here is the Keppler card (GTX660) which only started to be used very recently with real Macs. Mountain Lion support Keppler natively, as should Lion 10.7.5: try either booting with GraphicsEnabler=No or using Clover to boot your system.

Best regards!

Thanks for the advice Theconnactic!

I will try this tomorrow as I did a clean install of 10.7.4 a few minutes ago and will update to 10.7.5 tomorrow maybe fortuna is with me :-D

I am just using Clover as chameleon gives me random KPs i dont get with Clover! I will report my results!

• Like 1

Just installed and updated to 10.7.5 using Bronzovka's 10.7.5 kernel with arch=i386 and its working with no problems so far. Graphics is fully working on my GT 430. Audio and Ethernet also working. Geekbench giving a low score for some reason but it doesn't bother me.

Booting with arch=x86_64 results in the same problem as ML with black screen.

Using the latest version of Chameleon.

Hey there!

Did my testing but it really seems to be graphic related! Tested both latest Chameleon with GraphicsEnabler=No and Clover!

With brov´s 10.7.5 kernel with arch=i386 / arch=x86_64 the system boots up and loads NVDAGK100Hal and nothing happens, not even a grey window!

I think the driver for my graphics is available in 10.7.5 as 10.7.4 doesnt find my graphicscard and starts the desktop without qe/ci but 10.7.5 doesnt start the desktop at all !

I´ll try to delete the NV related kexts and look if it boots up to locate the problem!

Greetings!

Edit: With deleted NV drivers the system boots up fine! My first impression is: Super! Stable 32bit and 64bit apps work without a problem and the response time of the whole desktop is much faster the in my 10.7.4 installation!

I don't know if this has been answered, if so sorry for my double post.

Has anyone been able to run Xcode in Lion on AMD? booting with Bronzovka's 10.7.4 kernel in either x86_64 or i386 and running Xcode 4.6 for Lion. I just need it to get xcodebuild to work to use the command line. Tried "xcodebuild -licence" in terminal and that just skipped the part where the licence was ment to show up and I could type agree (so basically it crashed before showing the licence in terminal).

With Bronzovka's kernel, running 32-bit with support for 64-bit processes, ssse3 built-in, 10.7.4, Adobe CS6:

Working until now:

Flash

Flash Builder

Audition

DreamWeaver

FireWorks

InDesing

AcrobatPro

Speedgrade

MediaEncoder (sometimes)

Bridge starts but crashes when you try to actually use it.

Photoshop and Illustrator doesn't start. Premiere, Prelude and After Effects freeze while loading.

By the way, trying to boot the kernel in 64-bit mode (arch=x86_64) gives me the same kind of graphics corruption i get with Mountain Lion, rendering unusable.

Best regards.

With Bronzovka's kernel, running 32-bit with support for 64-bit processes, ssse3 built-in, 10.7.4, Adobe CS6:

Working until now:

Flash

Flash Builder

Audition

DreamWeaver

FireWorks

InDesing

AcrobatPro

Speedgrade

MediaEncoder (sometimes)

Bridge starts but crashes when you try to actually use it.

Photoshop and Illustrator doesn't start. Premiere, Prelude and After Effects freeze while loading.

By the way, trying to boot the kernel in 64-bit mode (arch=x86_64) gives me the same kind of graphics corruption i get with Mountain Lion, rendering unusable.

Best regards.

@theconnactic

Have you got Xcode working in Lion? I have an idea for CS6 to use Wine. Problem is my Xcode doesn't wanna work.

You also said you had Bioshock working, is Bioshock in a Cider port or Wineskin? Cause then might be able to take a shortcut with compiling wine and macports.

My ATI works fine in Lion on x86_64 (using both Bronzovka's and IiTz ShAnE) but graphics corruption on ML.

No, it's retail (Bioshock).

Have you got Xcode working in Lion? I have an idea for CS6 to use Wine. Problem is my Xcode doesn't wanna work.

You also said you had Bioshock working, is Bioshock in a Cider port or Wineskin? Cause then might be able to take a shortcut with compiling wine and macports.

Use Wineskin Winery! About Xcode, i'll download it and test it in a minute. It used to work like a charm with 10.6.8 and AnV's kernel.

Confirmed: Xcode also doesn't work with Bronzovka's 10.7.4 kernel in 32-bit kernel mode, either 3.2.6 or 4.5.x. Booting in 64-bit kernel mode with -x (safe boot) bypasses the graphics corruption, so i tested both Xcode and the CS6 Suite running full 64-bit. Unfortunately, both don't work, although i was able to grab some crash reports.

Best regards!

@theconnactic

Wine seems to be the best workaround I can find at the moment, Just did a Wine install on SL (booted with i386 -force64) and boom Photoshop CS6 opens.

See attached

Kind Regards

Duran Keeley

EDIT: Xcode 3.2.5 works in Lion & Xcode 4.1 for Lion, right click on Xcode and tick Open in 32-bit Mode.

BUT still got a problem with xcodebuild in terminal with Xcode 4.1

• Like 1

UPDATE 3: My first seemingly random KP in 72 hours: happened when i was trying to install a 10.7.4-compatible Sleepenabler (there aren't many around, and i used that: http://www.osx86.net...&id=2710&page=3). As soon as i typed my password in KextUtility, the dreaded multilingual box of death appeared. Unfortunately, i wasn't in verbose mode, and log log of it persisted in my system, so i cannot be sure of what caused it, since it just repeated the process and nothing happened.

Hey, did you ever get sleep working? Thats all I need now but I cant seem to get it with any of these 64-bit kernels. It used to work fine with the old legacy ones.

Yes, i did: see my post in the previous page. But i'm using 32/64-bit hybrid mode (arch=i386) with Bronzovka's latest 10.7.4 kernel (link in the Kernel Database wiki page).

Duran, the 32-bit workaround did just fine for Xcode 3.2.6, thank you. Unfortunately, Xcode 4.x is 64-bit only. Goin to wrap Photoshop CS6 for Windows with Wineskin Winery to see if i succeed.

Best regards!

Yes, i did: see my post in the previous page. But i'm using 32/64-bit hybrid mode (arch=i386) with Bronzovka's latest 10.7.4 kernel (link in the Kernel Database wiki page).

Duran, the 32-bit workaround did just fine for Xcode 3.2.6, thank you. Unfortunately, Xcode 4.x is 64-bit only. Goin to wrap Photoshop CS6 for Windows with Wineskin Winery to see if i succeed.

Best regards!

Yes same here, I have tried arch=i386 -force64, arch=x86_64 and both with his 10.7.4 kernel and 10.7.5 kernel. No dice with any.