Lion kernel testing on AMD (don't ask help here: use the Help Topic)

ham4ever

613 posts in this topic

I have aty_init supported i386 and x86_64 , but if flag arch=i386 - working full QE/CI ! If flag x86_64 - no working ! Because aty_init.kext - it is bad driver !

If another driver , if driver EvOEnabler , then if flag x86_64 - yes full working QE/CI !!! Same problem for nvidia :)

After talking with Sinetek about the nvidia problems I asked if it was the opemu that was at fault. His reply was,

heya, it seems this is not really the problem, since i've tried patching the sse routines to no avail. i'm not sure what's going on, but i think it is a problem with the communication between the kernel module and the opengl driver which runs outside of the kernel.

This is after getting the black screen with your kernel Bronya,

http://pastebin.com/qphX5LP9

Does this help any Bronya?

After talking with Sinetek about the nvidia problems I asked if it was the opemu that was at fault.

I also don't think the opcode emulator is defective, since i made extensive tests with it, and Oz ran even more comprehensive tests.

I think the problem lies in 64-bit kernel mode indeed, and this failure to communicate with nVidia drivers (and some ATI, don't forget) is a manifestation of the issue, a consequence, not a cause.

Best regards!

What ever the difference between the 10.7.4 kexts and the 107.5 kexts may shine some light. nVidia works on 10.7.5 in x86_64 with glitches here and there but it still boots. If I can find a spare HDD I will try some tests with the 10.7.4 frameworks on 10.7.5 but not sure what will happen.

Dimitrik, you legend!

Xcode 64-bit working

Adobe After Effects CS6 Working (see attached)

EDIT: I can not boot to i386 with this kernel. As it boots the login Keychain loops asking to update, replace or continue. But no problem with the previous kernel (10.7.4) or booting this on into x86_64.

EDIT 2: OK, replaced my Keychain, booted back with i386. First no kernel flags as I normally run it, not even getting to the Keychain problem anymore, just a spinning progress wheel on a grey screen. 2nd Time boot with -nossse3bit and got to the desktop but then crashed (frozen PC) couple of secounds later as I clicked on finder. 3rd attempt with -nossse3bit got to the desktop again but then a small grey part of loaded on the screen and now its slowly line my line fulling with black and stuck with a beachball.

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 3.26.01 PM.png

Thank you very much! :)

By the way i went for it. 10.7.5 just finished to install. Rebooting now, let's see how does it fare...

UPDATE: 10.7.5 here, 32/64-bit hybrid mode. Take a little long to boot, perhaps because i used the -f boot flag for the sake of safety, besides bronya_kernel arch=i386 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Y. Going to test some apps now.

UPDATE 2: Xcode 3.2.6 up and running in 64-bit mode. Perhaps i should download and test the latest and greatest.

UPDATE 3: Adobe After Effects CS6 Render Engine opened like it should. I notice quite a lag between clicking on app and it starting to bounce. When it started, though, it opened pretty fast. Trying After Effects properly now.

UPDATE 4: opened fast, no lag at all.

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 1.10.36 AM.png

UPDATE 5: Premiere CS6 froze while it was loading AEFilterColorThreeWay.bundle in the splash screen works after disabling the plugin. Later i'll try disabling this plugin (i experienced a similar frozen plugin experience with Windows and Pro Tools, perhaps the same solution works now). It Worked! Just changed the extension to ".dis". We can now add Premiere to the list of working Abobe apps.

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 1.06.00 AM.png

UPDATE 6: Illustrator and Photoshop, no dice: the first crashes after loading all plugins, the other crashes as soon as the splash screen shows up.

UPDATE 7: Bioshock, Amnesia, Trine and a wined Rome Total War opened at the same time with maxed settings. Took a little long, but once they opened, no issues seem to arise (i'd have to test for a couple of hours in this condition to say a verdict, though). By the way, RTT's sound is borked (it needs my Soundblaster sound card to work fine, and no other does any good).

• Like 2

Thank you very much! :)

By the way i went for it. 10.7.5 just finished to install. Rebooting now, let's see how does it fare...

UPDATE: 10.7.5 here, 32/64-bit hybrid mode. Take a little long to boot, perhaps because i used the -f boot flag for the sake of safety, besides bronya_kernel arch=i386 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Y. Going to test some apps now.

UPDATE 2: Xcode 3.2.6 up and running in 64-bit mode. Perhaps i should download and test the latest and greatest.

UPDATE 3: Adobe After Effects CS6 Render Engine opened like it should. I notice quite a lag between clicking on app and it starting to bounce. When it started, though, it opened pretty fast. Trying After Effects properly now.

UPDATE 4: opened fast, no lag at all.

UPDATE 5: Premiere CS6 froze while it was loading AEFilterColorThreeWay.bundle in the splash screen. Later i'll try disabling this plugin (i experienced a similar frozen plugin experience with Windows and Pro Tools, perhaps the same solution works now). It Worked! Just changed the extension to ".dis". We can now add Premiere to the list of working Abobe apps.

UPDATE 6: Illustrator and Photoshop, no dice: the first crashes after loading all plugins, the other crashes as soon as the splash screen shows up.

UPDATE 7: Bioshock, Amnesia, Trine and a wined Rome Total War opened at the same time with maxed settings. Took a little long, but once they opened, no issue seem to arise (i'd have to test for a couple of hours in this condition to say a verdict, though). By the way, RTT's sound is borked (it needs my Soundblaster sound card to work fine, and no other does any good).

theconnactic, Premiere Pro CS6 does work when the Plugin is disabled. Hahaha nevermind you posted it up before I did, my bad.

Funny enough, with every other kernel and mode I have been stuck on a Endless loop of Spotlight Indexing, with this kernel in x86_64 it actually does index, super stoked!

Now i'm with the safe 32-bit kernel mode, since my all my experiences running 64-bit mode either left me with an unstable system (Snow Leopard 10.6.8, kernel sinter_pp) or wouldn't boot with my nVidia G210 unless disabling the acceleration plugins, meaning no QE/CI (Lion, Mountain Lion, any kernel until now).

I'll test it later anyway,

That's amazing! I deleted the Plugins folder and it crashed here anyway. Are you in arch=x86_64?

Yeah i'm in x86_64 - Can't boot with i386 with this kernel for some reason.

EDIT: For which app did you delete the plugin's folder for? I think Photoshop & Illustrator use some of the same plugins. Once I moved the plugins from inside the Photoshop package I can't get Illustrator to open because of missing plugins.

EDIT 2: I have an idea, the Plug-In's for windows might not be compiled with -xT on C++, wonder if we can use the windows ones! :D

EDIT 3: Windows Plug-In's Folder = Working I think Can someone double check that with the Photoshop Plug-Ins I forgot to backup the previous plugin's folder in Photoshop & Illustrator.

EDIT 4: Some of the plugin's work that were copied from Windows (Photoshop). You can also copy some from CS5.1

Illustrator might work as they have the same file extensions, gonna have to reinstall CS6 modified too much and didn't backup.

Congrats!

Unfortunately, for me arch=x86_64 is a no-go. i just confirmed that, reaffirming what i already knew: the kernels compiled with the current patch set don't play well with nVidia cards (and some ATIs) when running in 64-bit kernel mode on AMD CPUs (and only AMD: the same kernels will do just fine in, say, a Pentium D).

So, now, i think you should try to isolate the plugin(s) that causes both Photoshop and Illustrator to crash, so those fortunate enough to get the motor running in 64-bit mode can use the full CS6 suite.

Best regards!

P.S.:

EDIT 2: I have an idea, the Plug-In's for windows might not be compiled with -xT on C++, wonder if we can use the windows ones! :D

Yeah, it's worthy to investigate that!

UPDATE: I was very wrong! I was, silly me, removing the Plugins folder inside the Required folder (which obviously would crash the app), because the correct one has a fancy icon instead of a traditional blue folder icon. Tricked by my eyes! But now i can confirm the disable plugins trick also work for Illustrator even in 32-bit kernel mode! This time, the credits go all for you, my friend!

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 2.15.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 2.16.57 AM.png

UPDATE 2: Photoshop, by its turn, crashes at the same place. Perhaps its the only one which requires 64-bit kernel mode. I was wrong again! Look how curious: this time, the Plugins folder to be deleted is precisely the one inside the Required folder! Odd. Anyway, now i can also confirm the disable plugins trick also work for Photoshop even in 32-bit kernel mode!

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 2.25.58 AM.png

If you are running in 32-bit kernel mode and want to try both PS and AI from CS6, reading these two updates is a must.

• Like 2

No problem! I was expecting to see the same kind of icon i saw when i did the disable plugin trick for Premiere. The Plugins folder in Illustrator is so good looking that i took it for something else. :D

So Windows plug-ins will work?

Best regards!

Another test: this time with Crow, maxed settings, 1080p in a 40`` monitor. Worked just fine, same as with other games tested up to now. Loaded quickly, no stuttering, smooth sound (HDMI) and good FPS rates, Bronzovka, congratulations: your 10.7.5 kernel is a winner running in 32-bit mode.

No problem! I was expecting to see the same kind of icon i saw when i did the disable plugin trick for Premiere. The Plugins folder in Illustrator is so good looking that i took it for something else. :D

So Windows plug-ins will work?

Best regards!

Another test: this time with Crow, maxed settings, 1080p in a 40`` monitor. Worked just fine, same as with other games tested up to now. Loaded quickly, no stuttering, smooth sound (HDMI) and good FPS rates, Bronzovka, congratulations: your 10.7.5 kernel is a winner running in 32-bit mode.

No sure the ones I tested did but then I also copied some from CS5.5, just used CS6 Cleaner Tool to remove it, gonna reinstall and start from clean files. Can you check if the Premiere Pro CS5.5 plugin works (Attached Now) on the CS6 one disabled?

EDIT: Crashes on the same plugin, anyone got CS4 to use for testing?

CS5.5.zip