Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Well, Clover is an UEFI Application, not an UEFI driver, and hence - to my best knowledge - it will not auto-launch on boot (otherwise every app would launch every boot, which would be nonsense). It would need an UEFI driver to locate and load Clover from the Firmware Volume, but when would you trigger it?

Thanks for highlighting this important factor Download Fritz. So yeah, adding Clover to BIOS (using EFI_FV_FILETYPE_APPLICATION) will work but doing anything with it is a different story.

I guess where I was getting confused is that sometimes I’ll have Clover UEFI added as a driver, as opposed to a boot option, and have it launch at switch on using:

bcfg driver add N fs0:\EFI\CLOVER\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi Clover

• Like 1

You didn't answer to Download-Fritz question:

This is the key to the discussion.

If you started Clover in legacy mode through the file BOOT which is actually DUET then you must forget about flashing it into BIOS.

So you told that the driver NMVE is incompatible with old UEFI implementation of your BIOS?

In this case you have two opportunities:

- rewrite NMVE driver to old UEFI. You should catch what is the problem;

- reflash your UEFI BIOS to actual version 2.40.

I think Clover is starting up in Uefi mode. The usb key has an efi service partition but I could be totally wrong. My bios can detect uefi devices or installations but craps out sometimes trying load them. But doesnt Clover emulate Uefi mode anyhow when booting from bios non uefi mode? Interestingly enough my windows installation has gpt partition style with three reserved hidden partitions preceding the windows partion and that loads up on a standard disk drive. Anyhow rewriting the NVME driver would be the easier path to take if I had only the precompiled source code to the Asus Nvme.ffs file and locate the piece of code that is incompatible because obviously the intel 750 is capable of working and booting thanks to Clover albeit slower performance than pci express 3. thanks.

Hello,

I got my hackintosh up and running fine. However, I noticed that my SMBIOS never loads "MacBookAir6,2", but it loads as "MacBookAir6". I've done multiple EFI wipes and reinstalls, full wipe and reinstall, reinstall with different method (manually creating the boot drive and using that method that we do not speak of), different config.plist during install, different config.plist after install, but nothing ever works. 

If I change my SMBIOS to "MacBook6,2" or "iMac 11,3" , it would load properly. It's as if it's running into a character limit and wouldn't load the last 2 characters of "MacBookAir6,2".

Does anyone have any idea?

Hello,

I got my hackintosh up and running fine. However, I noticed that my SMBIOS never loads "MacBookAir6,2", but it loads as "MacBookAir6". I've done multiple EFI wipes and reinstalls, full wipe and reinstall, reinstall with different method (manually creating the boot drive and using that method that we do not speak of), different config.plist during install, different config.plist after install, but nothing ever works. 

If I change my SMBIOS to "MacBook6,2" or "iMac 11,3" , it would load properly. It's as if it's running into a character limit and wouldn't load the last 2 characters of "MacBookAir6,2".

Does anyone have any idea?

Do you have multiple partitions on your hard drive with Clover or another Defaults.plist installed? I have noticed that Clover will pull info from another drive wether it be usb or not and give you different outcome.

[0:102  0:000  Xml in load options is bad

??

0:104  0:002  Using OEM config.plist at path: EFI\CLOVER\config.plist
0:104  0:000  EFI\CLOVER\config.plist loaded: Success
Can you post EFI\CLOVER\config.plist ?

Once again, I can't upload the file as .plist. I've uploaded my config.plist but renamed it to .txt 

Do you have multiple partitions on your hard drive with Clover or another Defaults.plist installed? I have noticed that Clover will pull info from another drive wether it be usb or not and give you different outcome.

No I don't . I only have the OS X partition and the EFI partition. 

config.txt

Once again, I can't upload the file as .plist. I've uploaded my config.plist but renamed it to .txt

When i posted:

0:102  0:000  Xml in load options is bad

I wasn’t complaining about you posting a xml file with a .txt extension. It came from your bootlog.

It think you see that because of

0:100  0:000  SelfDirPath = \EFI\BOOT

Any reason why you don't have clover in \EFI\CLOVER\BOOT ?

But your bootlog then shows

Which shows Clover found your config.plist and loaded it without error.

I’ve taken your SMBIOS section and used it here and it works fine. I end up with a model identifier of MacBookAir 6,2

post-331032-0-61526900-1449921765_thumb.jpg

So after that I'm not sure why the SMBIOS doesn't show as MacBookAir 6,2 for you

Can you please replace your section of smbios with this

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<dict>

<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>

<string>24/06/13</string>

<key>BiosVendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>BiosVersion</key>

<string>MBA61.88Z.0099.B00.1305241529</string>

<key>Board-ID</key>

<string>Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5</string>

<key>BoardManufacturer</key>

<key>BoardType</key>

<integer>10</integer>

<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>

<string>Air-Enclosure</string>

<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>

<key>ChassisType</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>Family</key>

<string>MacBook Air</string>

<key>Manufacturer</key>

<key>Mobile</key>

<true/>

<key>ProductName</key>

<string>MacBookAir6,2</string>

<key>SerialNumber</key>

<string>C02nnnnnFMR7</string>

<key>Trust</key>

<true/>

<key>Version</key>

<string>1.0</string>

</dict>

• Like 1

When i posted:

0:102  0:000  Xml in load options is bad

I wasn’t complaining about you posting a xml file with a .txt extension. It came from your bootlog.

It think you see that because of

0:100  0:000  SelfDirPath = \EFI\BOOT

Any reason why you don't have clover in \EFI\CLOVER\BOOT ?

But your bootlog then shows

Which shows Clover found your config.plist and loaded it without error.

I’ve taken your SMBIOS section and used it here and it works fine. I end up with a model identifier of MacBookAir 6,2

attachicon.gifscreenshot.jpg

So after that I'm not sure why the SMBIOS doesn't show as MacBookAir 6,2 for you

I'm not sure what you mean. Here's a screenshot of my EFI partition and it's folders. I did not do any changes to it other than the Kexts and config.plist after installing clover. 

post-595908-0-69832600-1449952100_thumb.png

Can you please replace your section of smbios with this

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<dict>

<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>

<string>24/06/13</string>

<key>BiosVendor</key>

<key>BiosVersion</key>

<string>MBA61.88Z.0099.B00.1305241529</string>

<key>Board-ID</key>

<string>Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5</string>

<key>BoardManufacturer</key>

<key>BoardType</key>

<integer>10</integer>

<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>

<string>Air-Enclosure</string>

<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>

<key>ChassisType</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>Family</key>

<string>MacBook Air</string>

<key>Manufacturer</key>

<key>Mobile</key>

<true/>

<key>ProductName</key>

<string>MacBookAir6,2</string>

<key>SerialNumber</key>

<string>C02nnnnnFMR7</string>

<key>Trust</key>

<true/>

<key>Version</key>

<string>1.0</string>

</dict>

It did nothing. 

Hi Guys,

I updated my Clover 10.11.1 install to 10.11.2 and get this KP related to usb ports I think. Is there a solution? 

EDIT: Forgot to put in my raid controller edits in AppleAHCIKext! Feel stupid!

PS: Converting the NVMe Express driver into FFS with the instructions provided allow me to boot from NVME now on old hardware.

Thanks to those who helped!

• Like 1

PS: Converting the NVMe Express driver into FFS with the instructions provided allow me to boot from NVME now on old hardware.

Thanks to those who helped!

So converting Clover's NvmExpressDxe-64.efi to ffs and adding it to your BIOS was enough to boot the 750 on your Z68?

So converting Clover's NvmExpressDxe-64.efi to ffs and adding it to your BIOS was enough to boot the 750 on your Z68?

Yes but you have to also use MMTool to transfer the prerequisite NVME.ffs, NVMESmm, and NVMEint13 FFS files first.

Now instead of saying the device name in the boot menu it says 'Windows Boot manager'. I unplugged every sata hard drive to test the 750 and it booted up just fine!

Edit: Was researching ways to hide my Intel Raid volumes that always trigger an 'Initialize, ignore, disable' error at boot when I read that IatKos is Raid friendly:

- iATKOS Y can work with AHCI, RAID and Non-AHCI (IDE) SATA modes.

No need to set SATA to AHCI Mode anymore.

Does Clover work in the same way somehow?

I'm not sure what you mean. Here's a screenshot of my EFI partition and it's folders. I did not do any changes to it other than the Kexts and config.plist after installing clover. 

All i meant was I didn't know why the SMBIOS section of your config.plist resulted in you seeing a Model Identifier of MacBookAir6, as when i added the exact same SMBIOS into my config.plist I saw MacBookAir6,2.

Maybe it could be something to do with the other entries in your config.plist? To rule this out, I would try testing with a fresh minimal config.plist from say a bootable Clover USB, so as to not mess up your current setup, with just the SMBIOS section and anything else you need just to get OS X to boot.

Yes but you have to also use MMTool to transfer the prerequisite NVME.ffs, NVMESmm, and NVMEint13 FFS files first.

If NvmExpress didn't need them loaded when executed by Clover, why would it need that junk drivers when loaded from ROM? I wouldn't know why a device access protocol needed at boot time needs a SMM driver, it makes zero sense.

I don't know if it needed them or not because I had always used them as that was the only way for my bios to see the drive in the f8 boot menu. I never tried just using the nvme express driver by its lonesome self. Also was following the win-raid forum instructions on how to get nvme working which was very specific that you had to copy those three files into your rom but I had boot issues because my bios Uefi standard was too old to load the efi boot rom from the drive. Adding the nvme express driver into the rom somehow fixed it. I can't explain how. It's a miracle as far as I'm concerned.

What's the proper way to achieve full resolution boot with a 2560x1080 monitor? I've tried setting the Resolution in config.plist, but this doesn't work and it sets 1920x1080:

0:161  0:042  SetScreenResolution: 2560x1080 - not found!
0:161  0:000  SetMaxResolution: found best mode 0: 1920x1080
0:230  0:069  Video mode change to mode #0: Success
0:230  0:000   - set

I've tried using PatchVBios and InjectEDID but they seem to make the problem worse (looks like it's running at an even lower resolution upscaled). I'm using UEFI (CSM disabled) with a UEFI GOP VBIOS.

All i meant was I didn't know why the SMBIOS section of your config.plist resulted in you seeing a Model Identifier of MacBookAir6, as when i added the exact same SMBIOS into my config.plist I saw MacBookAir6,2.

Maybe it could be something to do with the other entries in your config.plist? To rule this out, I would try testing with a fresh minimal config.plist from say a bootable Clover USB, so as to not mess up your current setup, with just the SMBIOS section and anything else you need just to get OS X to boot.

Yeah I've tried that but nothing helps. Ah well, thanks for the help! 

What's the proper way to achieve full resolution boot with a 2560x1080 monitor? I've tried setting the Resolution in config.plist, but this doesn't work and it sets 1920x1080:

I've tried using PatchVBios and InjectEDID but they seem to make the problem worse (looks like it's running at an even lower resolution upscaled). I'm using UEFI (CSM disabled) with a UEFI GOP VBIOS.

I use this, not sure if it's of any help to you (Obviously the CustomEDID will differ):

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CustomEDID</key>
		<data>AP///////wAQrBXwTDc2MBoVAQOANCB47h7Frk80sSYOUFSlSwCBgKlA0QBxTwEBAQEBAQEBKDyAoHCwI0AwIDYABkQhAAAaAAAA/wBGNTI1TTE2TDA2N0wKAAAA/ABERUxMIFUyNDEwCiAgAAAA/QA4TB5REQAKICAgICAgAIs=</data>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<true/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>InjectEDID</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>TextOnly</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>El Capitan</string>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1920x1200</string>
1:052  0:000  CurrentMode: Width=1920 Height=1200

i have to set UEFI only for native resolution